Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

Related: Assault Weapons Not Protected by Second Amendment, Federal Appeals Court Rules

The original rule was hotly contested by gun rights advocates who said it infringed on Americans’ Second Amendment rights. Gun control advocates, however, praised the rule for curbing the availability of firearms to those who may not use them with the right intentions.
    Both the House and Senate last week passed the new bill, H.J. Res 40, revoking the Obama-era regulation.

Trump signed the bill into law without a photo op or fanfare. The president welcomed cameras into the oval office Tuesday for the signing of other executive orders and bills. News that the president signed the bill was tucked at the bottom of a White House email alerting press to other legislation signed by the president.

The National Rifle Association “applauded” Trump’s action. Chris Cox, NRA-ILA executive director, said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”

Everytown For Gun Safety President John Feinblatt said he expected more gun control rollbacks from the Trump administration. In a statement to NBC News, he called the action "just the first item on the gun lobby’s wish list" and accused the National Rifle Association of "pushing more guns, for more people, in more places."

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., a leading gun control advocate in Congress, called out Republicans over the move.

"Republicans always say we don’t need new gun laws, we just need to enforce the laws already on the books. But the bill signed into law today undermines enforcement of existing laws that Congress passed to make sure the background check system had complete information," he said in an emailed statement.
    There is no face palm big enough...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Its an Obama thing, can't have that.

I guess this is the only way to help the NRA and improve gun sales a bit by letting people that in some cases shouldn't wield sharp objects the ability to fire bits of metal at 1000+ feet per second. What's next? Giving back all of the drivers licenses back to people that are blind?

Plus we have yet again Trump hitting something Obama did even though this makes perfect sense. I guess we all need more school shootings that people can say never happened or was a "leftist plot".

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    “So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!”

-- Donald John Trump, today.

So we report him, again and again, and the authorities take his gun because he's a danger to himself and others?

"Whoa whoa whoa! Let's not go nuts!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump obviously wants a gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Trump obviously wants a gun.
    They don't make them small enough for his tiny hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Now I'm picturing the President using one of those tiny pop cap guns like I used to play with as a kid, and still not being able to quite reach the trigger with his tiny baby fingers.

And republicans wonder why the majority of Americans are against Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's be honest with our without this bill there are so many guns for sale in the US and so many people who own shops who really don't give a damn if they shoot someone or rape another by gun point as long it brings in money and some weird amendment right they don't fully understand besides the "me can haz gunz!"

Not tht this is smart on any level, but there needs to be done more than a bill. Like dismantling the NRA and re-education the masses to be sensible.

I thought the objection to this law was that it circumvented due process? I.e., you can't have your rights taken away just because the government claims you're mentally unfit, they have to actually prove you're mentally unfit before they can take away your right to own a gun or purchase a gun?

It was even backed by the ACLU.

/slowclap
    And what a timing. Donald never fails to impress.

He could borrow Roy Moore's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I can't help wondering at times like this how Dune-style personal shields would transform American society. What would replace the certainty that they have the power to take human lives at their fingertips?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I can't help wondering at times like this how Dune-style personal shields would transform American society. What would replace the certainty that they have the power to take human lives at their fingertips?
    Personal shields would just lead to personal shield penetrating bullets. All of this is obviously fiction. But, I know for a fact that personal shield penetrating bullets will be needed for protecting against government who has these shields and obviously for hunting. Meaning, even though it’s just our immigration, we can rest assured that it will be covered by the right to bear arms... roar...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure they do.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I thought the objection to this law was that it circumvented due process? I.e., you can't have your rights taken away just because the government claims you're mentally unfit, they have to actually prove you're mentally unfit before they can take away your right to own a gun or purchase a gun?

It was even backed by the ACLU.
    Trump blamed mental illness, asking people to report this. Well, the kid was reported. He was in a mental health program. He was expelled from school for his behavior.

Now what? Is Trump expanding mental health programs or contributing additional funding? No, he gave his second job a tax cut. We cannot treat it, cannot regulate gun ownership... so, what did Trump actually say? Condolences, but there isn’t a thing I care enough to do about it?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

There is no face palm big enough...
    Yea seemed like it was really working.........

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Yea seemed like it was really working.........
    Then tell Trump to figure out a different demon to scare us with. He used it as excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Then tell Trump to figure out a different demon to scare us with. He used it as excuse...
    Maybe Trump should just sign a bunch of do nothing feel good regs like Obama.