10+ Year Old Account

How one tweet inspired 120 people to shovel snow for the elderly.

Honestly hopefully something to make you smile, kind of cool to be surprised once in a while. We have done things like this in my neighborhood around the block, but hahaha nowhere near a 120 volunteers from a tweet from all over, pretty cool

By Gianluca Mezzofiore, CNN

(CNN) -- Jahmal Cole is a community organizer in Chatham, a largely elderly and African-American community on the South Side of Chicago.

As a heavy snowstorm swept across the northern Midwest over the weekend, Cole started to get calls from seniors in the community who needed someone to shovel snow in front of their homes.

Some people had asthma conditions. Others had neuropathy in both wrists, and a few were carrying oxygen tanks. They were all overwhelmed and frightened to be stuck in their own house, according to Cole.

"After I received 30 calls I put the word out on social media that I needed help," he told CNN.

In his tweet, Cole asked for 10 volunteers to help shovel the foot of snow that had piled up outside the houses of elderly people in Chatham. "Meet me at the 79th St. Red Line stop at 10:00 am tomorrow. I got hoodies, hats and lunch for anybody that comes through," he wrote.
    http://www.kmov.com/story/37501743/h...o-neighborhood
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2018-02-15 at 05:19 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    No that's kinda horrible. Where isn't it normal to care for your neighbors, especially for little things like snow shoveling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    No that's kinda horrible. Where isn't it normal to care for your neighbors, especially for little things like snow shoveling?
    Really as opposed to where else?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Every winter, about 100 people in the US die while shovelling snow. Why? A study looking at data from 1990 to 2006 by researchers at the US Nationwide Children's Hospital recorded 1,647 fatalities from cardiac-related injuries associated with shovelling snow. In Canada, these deaths make the news every winter.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Can't say I've ever given two shits about my neighbors outside of collecting their parcels.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Can't say I've ever given two shits about my neighbors outside of collecting their parcels.
    Same and they better come and collect them, otherwise it's staying in my lobby until I need to go to the shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    So he couldn't ask for 10 people in his neighbourhood but tweet it? What an attention whore lol.

Average interaction with neighbours here is... say hello to them in the stairs when coming home/leaving home if you meet them in the stairs.