Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    But elves aren't mortals. Maybe they stand a better chance.
    Eh? Elves are absolutely mortal. They may live thousands of years but still die in the end.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2018-02-04 at 04:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

There seems to be a disconnect going on. If I understand correctly, the now Void Elves where a mix of Blood Elves and High Elves experimenting with the void to use it as a weapon against the Legion and were banished because the use of the void causes serious problems with the Sunwell (as it is a fount of light now).

An accident happens and minions of the Void attempt to convert these Elves into Ethereal beings, but Windrunner and our actions help prevent this from happened fully. However the now Void Elves have been changed due to the void, but have driven away the madness and use the void as a weapon, as they had intended to do in the first place.

There is no vampirism here. They use the void to fight. This is not to sustain themselves. This is more or less the opposite of being Lightforged. Instead of being infused with the Light and using it was a weapon, these elves are, basically, Voidforged. They use the Void as their weapon. Now that they understand (more or less) what happened, they can take volunteers and "Voidforge" them to fight with using the Void, for the Alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I mean just because you can doesnt mean you should.

Sonic fanfics arent exactly the height of literature, neither are Void Elves.
    Yes but fanfics are just that, written by fans. I've read some excellent fanfiction in my time for several fandoms.

Ok I have read one really good fanfic for a single fandom (not WoW) in the past two decades but it is still possible.

What you are dealing with is just, in your opinion mind you, is bad writing. Canon bad writing.

If you feel it is bad, attempting to rationalise it might be the best way forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I dunno man I'm fairly exposed to a great deal of literature on a daily basis and I know a lot of writers myself, I'm struggling to even play Devils Advocate with this sub-race to try and even imagine what they genuinely bring to the story.

Im sure you'd agree its not really the best WoW has to offer.
    Of course I agree. I am up and front and honest though that my primary goal with them is that they end any chance for playable High Elves that are a duplicate of a Horde race. Which they do.

So yeah, they are a lore dumpster fire.

But maybe we will be surprised and something will be salvaged from the wreckage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    But elves aren't mortals. Maybe they stand a better chance.
    Elves are very much mortal, they may live for a couple of thousands of years but they die of old age in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Elves are very much mortal, they may live for a couple of thousands of years but they die of old age in the end.
    Hopefully, with loss of second tree, this will finally start catching up to night elves. Fingers crossed for tyrande.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Hopefully, with loss of second tree, this will finally start catching up to night elves. Fingers crossed for tyrande.
    It was already catching up with them, Malfurion felt his aching bones back in cata, not to mention the second tree never granted them longevity, so it should affect them to some degree but it might still take centuries or millennia for them to die of old age.

It is the tree in Hyjal that gave them long life, and its back now, reblessed, and not the one that is going to burn down in BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    "Ha! Retarded blood elves! Im not some kind of addict to leech the power from the naaru or the sunwell! Im a clean and sane high elf!"

Also

"Let me just sap into those void lords and leech their powers"

The most retarded thing is that some of the void elves are former blood elves. Like, a 100% treason is one thing. But how do they feel living with the people they've been fighting for so many years? How does the alliance feel about it?

Really, void elves lore is a cluster fuck. Would make more sense if it was just the remaining few high elves going void after alleria.
    Yeah this was my initial impression until I read the fine print. The blood elf thing just seems too forced for no reason.

Honestly, this holy infatuation just seems so far fetched compared to how they originally operated. I can understand wanting to safeguard the sunwell after what happened before, but they're far more often portrayed as experimenters and dabblers in the forbidden and unorthodox. They're painting them too much light a bunch of priests now and losing the twist that I feel made them fit in the horde in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    Now that's not to say we won't get Krokul, there's a good chance we'll still get them or another form of Broken. But it does seem that Krokul are being set up that way, and if they were in place of Void Elves they would tie in a lot stronger both narrative wise and gameplay systems wise. We get Void Elves from Argussian Reach rep - which is weird to say the least - it would have made more sense if it were Krokul instead.
    I agree, Krokul would have been more fitting. Or they should make void elves more distinct, like giving them third eye, or crazy voidy smile, like this guy.

I think recolored blood elves is the worst case that could happen.. On one side, they could be highly demanded high elves, or they could be new interesting race of mutated blood elves with tentacles and assymetrical shapes. What we got was recolored blood elf, which pleases almost nobody, that is why we see threads about void elves all the time.
    Last edited by mmoc09bcb5d61f; 2018-02-04 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Unlikely to have much effect within WoW's lifetime. We're still dealing with a species that counts age in centuries.

According to the new text, it's looking like I was right about the void elves, new ones are happening.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    They're basically saying that Void Elves = High Elves so the crybabies that want High Elves will finally stfu.
    Not just that. Their connection with the Ethereals means that the Void Elves were the result of the people who wanted both Ethereals AND High Elves as playable.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The Void Elves... they just... their numbers are endless...
    From the datamined info wowhead put up here http://www.wowhead.com/news=281843/b...-and-lordaeron

There is now way the void elves are "just Umbric's original follower numbers" - It looks like however they do it, they have the ability to make new void elves. Whether it's the training and some end test that affords the transformation ..who knows, if we had actually had a level 1-20 experience, I believe we'd find out, it would have had us start as high elves or blood elves based on class, or choice, and we end up void leves at the end.

It would seem that we do make new void elves, not sure how long that will last, I suspect it's tied to the rift, but the rift is dissipating.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    From the datamined info wowhead put up here http://www.wowhead.com/news=281843/b...-and-lordaeron

There is now way the void elves are "just Umbric's original follower numbers" - It looks like however they do it, they have the ability to make new void elves. Whether it's the training and some end test that affords the transformation ..who knows, if we had actually had a level 1-20 experience, I believe we'd find out, it would have had us start as high elves or blood elves based on class, or choice, and we end up void leves at the end.

It would seem that we do make new void elves, not sure how long that will last, I suspect it's tied to the rift, but the rift is dissipating.
    And that narrative makes no sense, since literally only outcasts of society would willingly embrace the void, whether they are blood or high elves, so their recruitment pool would still be very small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

Really depends, those text strings from the data-mined dump lack a good deal of context. So far there have been three primary ways of parsing what they mean:

1.) The Void Elves themselves seem endless, which supports your above assertion.
    2.) The Void Elves are actually being overrun themselves, presumably by a Horde column pushing through from the Undercity.
    3.) The Void Elves are using Void tears to pull in summoned aberrations from the Void as a shock tactic.

Any of those scenarios fit the data-mined text strings absent known context - so it still remains to be seen what the real population of the Void Elves is.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Really depends, those text strings from the data-mined dump lack a good deal of context. So far there have been three primary ways of parsing what they mean:

1.) The Void Elves themselves seem endless, which supports your above assertion.
    2.) The Void Elves are actually being overrun themselves, presumably by a Horde column pushing through from the Undercity.
    3.) The Void Elves are using Void tears to pull in summoned aberrations from the Void as a shock tactic.

Any of those scenarios fit the data-mined text strings absent known context - so it still remains to be seen what the real population of the Void Elves is.
    I'd kinda question where the endless elves of option 1 are coming from. Even if they can create more of their kind, they'd need a supply of regular elves and/or time for it, that they simply didn't have yet.

So 2 or 3 seem far more likely. If it isn't just illusions/hallucinations or somebody hopelessly exaggerating things. For all we know, the speaker could just be having a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post

True, it could be any of those reasons.

However, I think like the lightforged undergo trials to be raised to lightforged, so to some sort of process is involved with the void elves. Although it could go far deeper than merely a process or rite of passage.

Since the void elf lore is still quite new, they could do anything, it could go all the way back to the elves dark troll heritage. Or the night elves and Elune - or something about the Telogrus rift or what it takes to resist the shadows.

They could do anything here, I hope they choose something really amazing and wonder-filled. Blizzard seem to be very bad these days with writing wonder-filled or special amazing things about individual races. Which is a shame - I feel wow would be a lot more wonder-full if they did do amazing and special things for each race from time to time like they did with the blood elves and the whole getting the sunwell, quel'thalas, redemption etc back. Nightborne did get cured, which was nice, but no wonder ending for nelves coming out of their biggest enemies defeat, the curing of addiction, more highborne and the return of suramar -

It's almost as if - "races can't have nice things."

@ravenmoon

Technically, the first void elf was a high elf. Therefore the first void elves were high elves and blood elves. There is a high elf identity to void elves from their very start, but this is often forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    @ravenmoon

Technically, the first void elf was a high elf. Therefore the first void elves were high elves and blood elves. There is a high elf identity to void elves from their very start, but this is often forgotten
    Embracing a dark power out of pragmatism is not the high elven mindset though.