Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"Build of the month" - dead?

I've been always checking "Build of the month" setups and sometimes been buying hardware from those lists. But now it hasn't been updated for a while - is it dead?

Looks current to me. Intel still have an edge for WoW, GPUs are currently having one of their largest stagnation periods between generations that I can remember. In 3 months there may be something to write about, new ryzen, maybe new Nvidia cards in April. No new AMD GPUs until next year if the rumors are to be believed. But probably no big changes even then and I would be surprised if ryzen knocks any but the budget builds over. I doubt they will find the Ghz in one refresh but we will see.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The prices dont make sense anymore. Bitcoin miners bought all the GPUs.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's always been a better idea to come straight to the computer forums, bless his heart, but chaud has bigger things to worry about and focus on. Like the entire website. I really wish he had never done that or just delegated it to a computer forum mod or group of regulars who would really focus on making it the best list they could, keeping the products and their prices up-to-date.

I considered it dead within a few months of the first "Build of the month" being posted.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's always been a better idea to come straight to the computer forums,
    This is also true.

I wonder how workable open sourcing the builds to the forums would be, just updating a post would seem a little clunky but I guess it could be done. Then again "build of the month" is also clunky in reality. Like the above poster is pointing out it has no way to reconcile for example, the absurd GPU prices which are adding nearly 500$ to some of the builds lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better yet, I wouldn't mind having some kind of forum implementation where people can literally fill in the info for a build questionnaire, and it creates a post for it, already filled out. I might look into it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

A few problems as it is now.

It must be updated monthly.
    Parts are only general recommendations.
    Parts are only from Amazon.
    Prices are not updated when they change.
    What about people who prefer AMD?
    It is US only.
    What do you do about video cards during an Ethereum boom?
    Last edited by lordcanyon; 2018-02-15 at 04:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcanyon View Post
    A few problems as it is now.

It must be updated monthly.
    Parts are only general recommendations.
    Parts are only from Amazon.
    Prices are not updated when they change.
    What about people who prefer AMD?
    It is US only.
    What do you do about video cards during an Ethereum boom?
    Yeah, not to mention they are affiliate Amazon links. Annoying.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    And RAM prices are off the charts, hard to recommend buying MORE.
    Not to mention Intel changing CPU generations and sockets like socks.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    And RAM prices are off the charts, hard to recommend buying MORE.
    Not to mention Intel changing CPU generations and sockets like socks.
    Not any faster than they ever have.
    "A flower.

I've been holding off on updating it until GPU prices come down.

I'd love to see the computer forum come up with 4 builds near those price points that everyone agreed on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    I've been holding off on updating it until GPU prices come down.

I'd love to see the computer forum come up with 4 builds near those price points that everyone agreed on.
    Sure, I see your point.

Why not take down the Build of the Month or simply put there instead of a list of out-dated selected parts: "Please see the computer forums for help, as these are tough times for computer builders."

Something along those lines, because honestly lately? I kind of just want to suggest people buy prebuilts, because half the time I see prebuilts that are better systems and much cheaper than building it yourself now. =/
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Bitcoin ruined GPU market.
    Serious miners quit using graphics cards long ago to mine Bitcoin. It just is not profitable. Antminers and such reign supreme, and by a significant margin over graphics cards for Bitcoin mining. It is all the newer cryptocurrencies that are driving the demand for graphics cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Serious miners quit using graphics cards long ago to mine Bitcoin. It just is not profitable. Antminers and such reign supreme, and by a significant margin over graphics cards for Bitcoin mining. It is all the newer cryptocurrencies that are driving the demand for graphics cards.
    What you must understand is bitcoin is kind of used in a universal way. Most people don't understand all the altcoin crap. Just take comments like that to mean, Allcoin mining.
    "A flower.

What you must understand is bitcoin is kind of used in a universal way. Most people don't understand all the altcoin crap. Just take comments like that to mean, Allcoin mining.
    Yeah. I suppose some may use it like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not any faster than they ever have.
    Except 9 months is pretty fast. My 7500 was launched in January (Q1), 8600 was available Q4.
    I bought mine 1-2 months before they announce they released the new one thinking it wouldn't go obsolete pretty fast.
    To add insult to injury, I can't buy any other newer CPU for my current socket, I'd need to replace the mobo yet again.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Except 9 months is pretty fast. My 7500 was launched in January (Q1), 8600 was available Q4.
    I bought mine 1-2 months before they announce they released the new one thinking it wouldn't go obsolete pretty fast.
    To add insult to injury, I can't buy any other newer CPU for my current socket, I'd need to replace the mobo yet again.
    Have people really ever bought a mobo and cpu and then upgraded just the cpu? I've always ever only bought next generation cpus. :-/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Have people really ever bought a mobo and cpu and then upgraded just the cpu? I've always ever only bought next generation cpus. :-/
    It's pretty rare, and situational, something like "Computer just died and I need a system NOW, but I get a big tax return in 3 months" kind of thing... Where they'd get a Zxxx board for overclocking, and then whatever cheap i3 they get, and then upgrade later. That or a per-built that actually supports something better.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yes but the SOCKET (1151v1)your 7500 uses was launched well before that, in Aug 2015.