Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As far as I know, California isn't a right to work state.
    California call it employment at will here is a short description.

California's Labor Code contains a presumption that employees are employed at will. This means that either the employer or the employee may terminate employment at any time, with or without cause or prior notice. This is important for employers because "cause" is defined under California law as "a fair and honest cause or reason, regulated by good faith on the part of the employer." Employers would be significantly burdened if they had to prove to a court or jury that they acted "fairly" and "in good faith" in every employee termination.
    That's is why he is going with the class action lawsuit (2 people) for discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    California call it employment at will here is a short description.

That's is why he is going with the class action lawsuit (2 people) for discrimination.
    Do we have any idea whether Google provided cause or not? My guess is that they didn't, given that large companies systemize HR into the most impersonal, tell-you-nothing responses possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    watch the video it explains everything 4,887,543 views
    Yeah I've seen Pewdiepie before grandpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do we have any idea whether Google provided cause or not? My guess is that they didn't, given that large companies systemize HR into the most impersonal, tell-you-nothing responses possible.
    They did release a statement but we have no access to their contracts or internal memos so no way to know for sure. Either way that is not why he is suing because obviously he would have loss trying to go for unfair termination.

i haven't been reading anything
    Clearly.

you don't have a point

people use words like racist or sexist to abuse others to justify harassment towards people they disagree with without using a real argument

have fun for now because people will start to wake up and see the what kind of garbage these humans really are
    You could easily prove this is the case by stating a reasonable baseline for what would validate claims of racism and sexism that couldn't be met in this case.

The fact that you don't shows that you know that a reasonable standard can be met. Your only hope of your argument holding firm is to make the standard abstract enough to deny meeting it under any realistic (or even unrealistic) circumstance. That's why you take umbrage at a request for specificity. Ultimately, my point was to show that you're arguing in bad faith. And I clearly made that point quite well.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    People, he was not discriminated because he was a white male. How else did he get the job? He was fired because he was white, male and a conservative to boot!

Either he will win or he will soon file for bankruptcy. Either way, no tech company will hire him, ever. Perhaps he can get a job at fox news? This is how your throw your life away.
    If you even bothered reading anything about the case instead of just looking at his photo and being a racist. You'd realize that he's actually very smart and educated person. Could That possibly have ANYTHING to do with google actually employing him for that reason? nah.. couldn't be, doesn't fit my racist narrative

its a good video no reading required
    I can see how that might appeal to you kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I don't buy that. Sure there will be some exceptions, but I think a far bigger issue is the a subgroup of white males with a narcissistic victim complex who misconstrue giving the other demographic groups a chance as racism/sexism towards them.

I am not convinced that there is anywhere in the world that a white male has a harder time achieving success than any other demographic. The so called "discriminatory practices" that are often touted generally serve to help level a playing field which a strong pro-white male bias to start with.

Company policies aimed at balancing demographics aren't about creating discrimination, it's actually the complete opposite, just that a lot of people can't or won't see it. Here's an example:

One canditate is a white male. Like most other white males, he was born into relatively well off family and was given all the things he needed, even from before birth, to help him get ahead of those born into less fortunate circumstances. Unsurprisingly, for very little effort on his part, he does well at school and goes to university where he puts in a moderate amount of effort and scores in the top 5%.

The other canditate is a black female, born and raised in a single parent environment where mom has to work 3 shifts just to keep their heads above the proverbial water. She goes to a shitty school, is given no additional help to grow and learn and everything is a struggle. Against the odds she gets good enough grades to make it to university (barely) and then has to work extra hard to try and keep up in spite of her inferior school education. On top of that she has to work nights to pay for her studies and to support her now-out-of-work mother. She graduates with a pass mark.

Now, when it comes to the job market, of course the white male wants to be judged according to his marks. But in the end who would the better canditate for the job be? The guy who barely had to raise a sweat to achieve his success? Or maybe the girl who shed blood sweat and tears to get to where she did?

Honestly, it's not even a contest. The better employee will almost certainly be the one with the better work ethic. And there is no way in hell you're going to establish that simply by looking at grades. You have to consider the context of each individual. Simply put, lower grades from a person who comes from a disadvantaged background might often mean more than higher grades from someone who comes from a more priveleged background. That is not "unfair discrimination". It's the opposite.
    And what about the millions of white people born poor? Honestly you are racist as hell and you don't even realize it. I guess we should lump all people of the same color into the same boat eh? I seem to remember what we call that, oh thats right RACISM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    The wikipedia page you linked uses this source for the androgen claim https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3270350/ which is the same one referenced earlier that is covered by the meta-analysis paper I linked. Your source does include this section, though:

"Socialization Effects on Spatial Ability

Several types of evidence suggest that spatial abilities are influenced by social experiences. Sex differences in spatial ability have been seen to depend on socioeconomic status (SES), with differences apparent in children from middle and high SES backgrounds, but not in children from low SES backgrounds (Levine, Vasilyeva, Lourenco, Newcombe, & Huttenlocher, 2005). SES effects were suggested to result in part from access to experiences that facilitate spatial ability.

The experiences most often suggested to contribute to spatial ability include play with boys’ toys (e.g., construction sets, videogames) and engagement in boy-typed activities (e.g., sports) that encourage manipulation and exploration of the environment (e.g., Baenninger & Newcombe, 1989; Connor & Serbin, 1977). The link between spatial ability and aspects of sex-typed activities is weak-to-moderate (e.g., Newcombe, Bandura, & Taylor, 1983), with some variability and inconsistency that likely reflects methodological and conceptual issues (Baenninger & Newcombe, 1989; Voyer, Nolan, & Voyer, 2000). Nevertheless, correlations are not evidence of causation: engagement in boy-typed activities might enhance spatial ability or instead reflect that ability, that is, children with high spatial ability might be attracted to toys that allow manipulation and exploration, or a third factor (such as early hormones or gendered socialization) may influence both of them. Some longitudinal data suggest that the causal path is from abilities to activities rather than the reverse (Newcombe & Dubas, 1992).

It is, therefore, important to note direct experimental evidence that spatial ability can be enhanced by experience. In particular, spatial ability can be improved through practice and training, with generalization beyond training stimuli. For example, playing an action video game was seen to improve both spatial attention and mental rotation ability (Feng, Spence, & Pratt, 2007). Training benefits both sexes, with women sometimes benefiting more than men, so that training may eliminate a sex difference (Lawton, 2010).

Finally, stereotypes that emphasize women’s cognitive inferiority appear to impair their performance. This has been demonstrated in experimental studies of both math and spatial abilities, in which test-taking conditions are manipulated to emphasize or de-emphasize cognitive sex differences and their malleability. Women who were told that sex differences in math have genetic causes performed worse on math tests than those who were told that the differences have experiential causes (Dar-Nimrod & Heine, 2006). Women who were told that men outperform women on spatial tasks performed worse on a mental rotations test than women who received neutral information, and the poorer performance of the group given negative stereotypes appeared to reflect increased emotional load (Wraga, Helt, Jacobs, & Sullivan, 2007). The effect of stereotype information on spatial sex differences has also been seen in judgments of line orientation (Campbell & Collaer, 2009)."

It is one thing to claim there's a discrepancy, it is another thing entirely to dishonestly claim we know there's a biological mechanism that accounts for it, because we simply do not--as it turns out you can make those differences disappear altogether in a controlled experiment (which REALLY makes biological explanations tenuous):

"I think it’s important to acknowledge the very rightful discomfort that arises when scientific studies attempt to trace such differences to biologically determined origins. Yet, across decades of research, no biological cause has actually been identified as a suitable explanation for the spatial reasoning discrepancy. Studies regarding testosterone and mental rotation, for example, found inconsistent or absent effects across cultures, prompting inquiries into “differing cultural values” to account for the results. And gaps between men’s and women’s scores on some spatially-geared tests have significantly shrunk in the past few decades, which is interesting because noticeable evolutionary or nature-based development might take thousands of decades to take effect. (“Nurture”-based conditions are of course rapidly changing.) Still though, the gap has lingered, and a satisfying and empirically-supported explanation as to “what gives” was not achieved until 2008, when researchers eliminated the performance gap under a single simple condition.

In a now-famous study, psychologists at the University of Berlin falsely told participants that they had been selected to participate in a series of tests “to measure the ability to put oneself in someone else’s position” - a fabrication devised to avoid confounding factors in their real study on gender identity priming. They prepared a text describing a day in the life of a “stereotypical woman” who takes care of her family, works part time, and is insightful, helpful, and agreeable. They also prepared an equivalently-structured text outlining the activities of a stereotypical manly man who is tough, risk-taking, and does weight training after work. Subjects were randomly given one of the two texts, and then asked: “If you were the person described in the text, which adjectives would you use to describe yourself?”

Soon after participants described themselves with either the male- or female-associated traits, they were asked to take a mental rotation test presented as independent of the first part of the study, supposedly to measure their personal spatial aptitude. On this mental rotation test, women who were “primed” with the female identity scored an average of 3.86 on the exercise, compared to the female-primed males’ average of 5.14. Okay, expected. But then when primed with the male text, women scored an average of 5.49, while men scored 5.53… wait a second, what?

As it turns out, there is zero statistically significant gender difference in mental rotation ability after test-takers are asked to imagine themselves as stereotypical men for a few minutes. None. An entire standard deviation of female underperformance is negated on this condition, just as a man’s performance is slightly hindered if he instead imagines himself as a woman. (well then.) Although this study is of course not a logically definitive answer to all things “nature versus nurture,” it does add a tremendous structural asset to the growing mountain of evidence that “natural” ability differences are confounded by identity and subconscious self-stereotyping. Demographic expectations may be subtle or overt, but they are omnipresent, and they are likely much more powerful than most of us have ever considered.
    "

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry...eotypical-male

https://link.springer.com/article/10...199-008-9448-9

The whole androgen / extreme male brain theory / autism / systematizing / things over people link also seems to fall apart:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27460188 :

"There is a marked male preponderance in autism spectrum conditions. The extreme male brain theory and the fetal androgen theory of autism suggest that elevated prenatal testosterone exposure is a key contributor to autistic traits. The current paper reports findings from two separate studies that test this hypothesis.

METHODS:
    A parent-report questionnaire, the Childhood Autism Spectrum Test (CAST), was employed to measure autistic traits in both studies. The first study examined autistic traits in young children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), a condition causing unusually high concentrations of testosterone prenatally in girls. Eighty one children with CAH (43 girls) and 72 unaffected relatives (41 girls), aged 4-11 years, were assessed. The second study examined autistic traits in relation to amniotic testosterone in 92 typically developing children (48 girls), aged 3-5 years.

RESULTS:
    Findings from neither study supported the association between prenatal androgen (testosterone) exposure and autistic traits. Specifically, young girls with and without CAH did not differ significantly in CAST scores and amniotic testosterone concentrations were not significantly associated with CAST scores in boys, girls, or the whole sample.

CONCLUSIONS:
    These studies do not support a relationship between prenatal testosterone exposure and autistic traits. These findings augment prior research suggesting no consistent relationship between early androgen exposure and autistic traits."

And finally:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...es-us-smarter/

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...the-workplace/

https://www.cio.com/article/3191607/...d-results.html

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-fu...ersity-matters

http://medicieffect.com/

https://hbr.org/2016/11/why-diverse-teams-are-smarter

https://blog.capterra.com/7-studies-...the-workplace/

https://www.ft.com/content/4f4b3c8e-...7-00144feabdc0

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/da...-soup-0513.pdf
    Shouldn't diversity of experience matter more than skin color? A black and white guy who have both been rich their whole lives are going to have more similar life experiences than say a "born rich" black guy and a white person who was raised poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    If you even bothered reading anything about the case instead of just looking at his photo and being a racist. You'd realize that he's actually very smart and educated person. Could That possibly have ANYTHING to do with google actually employing him for that reason? nah.. couldn't be, doesn't fit my racist narrative
    lol actually thinking google is racist against white people

I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea. However, I certainly hope he does win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea. However, I certainly hope he does win.
    lol how even?
    Maybe in a country with better worker protections, but not in the US lol

10+ Year Old Account
    What a fucking snowflake, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What a fucking snowflake, lol.
    Soon to be a rich snowflake since it's illegal to fire people for the reasons they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Soon to be a rich snowflake since it's illegal to fire people for the reasons they did.
    Clearly he needs to develop a better skillset so he can easily find another job. It's not the employer's responsibility to protect employees, right?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It is illegal to fire someone for bringing awful press to a business?

Depends on the laws where he works. If California is a "right to work" state you can legally be fired for any reason at anytime without any warning.

Quote Originally Posted by RayenDark View Post
    Depends on the laws where he works. If California is a "right to work" state you can legally be fired for any reason at anytime without any warning.
    California isn't one. So, no shield for Google.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The guy has some of the best possible qualifications and skillset in the field. How did you think he got a job at Google to begin with?
    Swing and a miss. I'm making fun of conservatives being outraged that a white dude got fired while simultaneously supporting right to work laws.

Anyhow, I hope he wins too. This SJW-plague needs to be rooted out, it's as vile and evil as religious zealots.
    Zzzzzz.

If you honestly think firing someone for publishing material critical of their employer is a social justice thing, you're deluding yourself.

And I'm saying this as a leftist anarchist.
    Your political ideology is immaterial in regards to your backwards ass social views.

What I read of the memo seems fairly reasonable, even the sources are well cited. I think it's basically all things we deeply know are true, but it brushes up against the idealism of the the far left where you can be anything you want if you just believe it hard enough. Truth is we are all not created equal. We're going to have certain dispositions based on our genetics, gender, etc.

It's only doing us harm to ignore those facts and assume everyone is just a blank slate when they come into the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the US? lol, so naive.

No, they where not being racist or sexist, sorry to break that bubble.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    It is illegal to fire someone for bringing awful press to a business?
    It is now, clearly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Swing and a miss. I'm making fun of conservatives being outraged that a white dude got fired while simultaneously supporting right to work laws.

Zzzzzz.

If you honestly think firing someone for publishing material critical of their employer is a social justice thing, you're deluding yourself.

Your political ideology is immaterial in regards to your backwards ass social views.
    No reall anarchist would like that guy, why do some posters make up such obvious lies about themselves?