Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    No reall anarchist would like that guy, why do some posters make up such obvious lies about themselves?
    Simple. It's just a new(ish) permutation of the old "I can't be racist, I have black friends" rubbish.

I call myself a left winger, how can I possibly have regressive social views derived entirely from internet hot takes and cable news media?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Hard to tell, but he might have a case. Either way, we'll find out once it goes further ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    What I read of the memo seems fairly reasonable, even the sources are well cited. I think it's basically all things we deeply know are true, but it brushes up against the idealism of the the far left where you can be anything you want if you just believe it hard enough. Truth is we are all not created equal. We're going to have certain dispositions based on our genetics, gender, etc.

It's only doing us harm to ignore those facts and assume everyone is just a blank slate when they come into the world.
    I mean this sentiment is mostly true. Not the part about the memo though as I didn't bother to ever read it. The reason its so dangerous though is because its very easy to jump from this point into all types of discrimination and a lot of people are too stupid to not cross those lines. People knowing this comes with an expectation of understanding and the responsibility to not misuse it in a world where you can't even be certain people will have decent personal hygiene
    Last edited by Erolian; 2018-02-16 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    lol how even?
    Maybe in a country with better worker protections, but not in the US lol
    Canada has relatively strong worker protections; federally, you need cause to fire someone, unlike right-to-work employment states in the USA, where you could be fired for "wearing red on a Tuesday" or "being named Bob".

That said, what Damore did was pretty obviously cause, since he not only breached the company's ethics requirements, he made this all incredibly public, and directly attacked colleagues in doing so at a deeply personal level. Any ONE off those is grounds for summary dismissal with cause, let alone the trifecta.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I mean this sentiment is mostly true. Not the part about the memo though as I didn't bother to ever read it. The reason its so dangerous though is because its very easy to jump from this point into all types of discrimination and a lot of people are too stupid to not cross those lines. People knowing this comes with an expectation of understanding and the responsibility to not misuse it in a world where you can't even be certain people will have decent personal hygiene
    You mean like people openly shittalking white people and implying they are inferior to minorities using the excuse of white Privelege and saying stupid shit like "Minorities bring fresh new ideas"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That said, what Damore did was pretty obviously cause, since he not only breached the company's ethics requirements, he made this all incredibly public, and directly attacked colleagues in doing so at a deeply personal level. Any ONE off those is grounds for summary dismissal with cause, let alone the trifecta.
    Wasn't all that after the fact?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You mean like people openly shittalking white people and implying they are inferior to minorities using the excuse of white Privelege and saying stupid shit like "Minorities bring fresh new ideas"?
    Neither of those things in any respect whatsoever "shittalk" white people or imply inferiority. Your victimization blinders are overcompensating.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    California isn't one. So, no shield for Google.

Cali has at will employment like most of the US. Which means they can be fired for any reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Wasn't all that after the fact?.
    No, I'm talking about Damore's manifesto and his original publication of it on their bulletin board system, not even what came after.

Yes along with every form of racism that brought about the people who do the above and many other things

Neither of those things in any respect whatsoever "shittalk" white people or imply inferiority. Your victimization blinders are overcompensating.
    Sweet. So saying men and women are different isn't discriminatory. Nor does it inspire discrimination.

He did nothing wrong.

I can see where he is coming from with this trend against white males. I am happily employed, so I don't really have a stake in this currently. At a former employer there was an other position open internally that I was interested in. Their hiring process involved writing essentially an essay that showed why you would be a good fit for the position, and it graded/scored you based on the number of matches you had in your essay with specific keywords and phrases related to the position's duties. They also had other factors that would give you increases to your score, such as your gender, your race, and whether you are a veteran. After merging all of the scores together, they would go forward with the process with the top 5 candidates, based on total score, for interviews.

In this case I scored a 90/100 on the essay, which is damn good. Out of the 5 candidates that got interviewed, only 1 scored higher than me on the essay, and the rest scored lower but had bonus points from their gender, race, and their veteran status. At the end of the day, even though I scored second highest on the essay and actual qualifications for the position, I did not get an interview because I am a white male who is not a veteran.

That's my perspective at least, I do not know how many other companies hold policies that look similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet. So saying men and women are different isn't discriminatory. Nor does it inspire discrimination.

He did nothing wrong.

He doesn't have to do anything wrong. Cali is at will employment so he can be fired for waking up on the wrong side of the bed.

10+ Year Old Account

He did nothing wrong.
    Men and women are different, particularly when it comes to reproductive biology.

That doesn't make women inherently worse at computer stuff, which was Damore's nonsensical and misogynistic manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    He doesn't have to do anything wrong. Cali is at will employment so he can be fired for waking up on the wrong side of the bed.
    Then it was real stupid as he wasn't the one who leaked it. And they didn't fire him when this made the rounds at Google.

Hence his lawsuit. At will/Right to work doesn't override being sued.

- - - Updated - - -

Men and women are different, particularly when it comes to reproductive biology.

That doesn't make women inherently worse at computer stuff, which was Damore's nonsensical and misogynistic manifesto.
    Except he never said that.

Stop with your victimization blinders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemex View Post
    I can see where he is coming from with this trend against white males.
    Speaking as a white dude, stop speaking for us. There is no such "trend". You're just seeking to blame your own personal failings on others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then it was real stupid as he wasn't the one who leaked it. And they didn't fire him when this made the rounds at Google.

Hence his lawsuit. At will/Right to work doesn't override being sued.

It does when you are suing that you were wrongfully fired.

Speaking as a white dude, stop speaking for us. There is no such "trend". You're just seeking to blame your own personal failings on others.
    Sweet. So you'll fuck off and stop talking for minorities, right? Because, speaking as one, stop it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    It does when you are suing that you were wrongfully fired.
    They should have nothing to fear, then, since they did nothing wrong.

So, why is everyone so scared?

Deleted
    No, I'm talking about Damore's manifesto and his original publication of it on their bulletin board system, not even what came after.
    I was under the impression that they encouraged to present feedback or something, and the memo was leaked by his colleagues.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a fellow white dude, I can corroborate that there is no such "trend".

Y'all need to stop blaming better qualified women for your own incompetence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.