Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoopid Aik View Post
    Ok then, what skill do you have that cannot be performed by the regular Joe? Pretty sure, anyone can refill a drink and take an order with a smile.

Also, 11.88 is well above minimum wage. Not to mention, the discounted housing incentives.
    Walmart hourly wage in 2018 starts at $11 per hour. So $11.88 at a resort like Mar Lago is rather pitiful. By the time you account for the cost of the lawyer and fees to obtain the H2B visa, I would think you are better off hiring somebody local at $16 per hour.

Ok then, what skill do you have that cannot be performed by the regular Joe? Pretty sure, anyone can refill a drink and take an order with a smile.
    Depends on the level of service. Knowing how to "speak the language" of those who attend exclusive, fine dining establishments is a must. Proper serving etiquite, knowing settings etc. is mandatory. Is it a place that requires you to memorize orders rather than write them down? Do you need to understand the food being served so that you can ensure the kitchen is always getting orders correct - do you know the difference between rare and medium rare to properly explain to guests and ensure that the kitchen isn't screwing up? How about drinks and wine, what's your knowledge of mid-high end alcohols or popular/common drinks so you can be familiar should guests ask? For wine, some places absolutely require servers be to competently speak about wine as a whole and their particular selections. Can you properly open/decant the wine without fucking up the cork? You'd be surprised at how often waiters fuck this one up in particular, even at fine dining places, which is always a big red flag in terms of service staff.

That's literally 30s-1m of typing off the top of my head. I could go on, if you'd like.

Again, this isn't fucking Denny's.

Also, 11.88 is well above minimum wage. Not to mention, the discounted housing incentives.
    And if you're working at a fine dining level, also beyond fucking pathetic. Again, you can earn more in a night working at Applebee's than working for $12 an hour without tips.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-02-16 at 12:42 AM.

See you're being subjective. It's a fact that the United States offers the freedom to any citizen to achieve any level of financial success. Quit projecting your emotions onto this opinion; attempting to twist it.
    No, I'm being objective. Or are you really suggesting that every citizen in this country could be a billionaire at once? Or even a millionaire? You really think that's possible in our economic system?

Oh, and any developed nation offers their citizens the freedom to achieve any level of success they want. It's not like we have a monopoly on freedom or opportunity. We can also objectively measure how successful citizens across various nations are at changing their socioeconomic status. And like I said: compared to most other developed nations, we don't measure very well in that department.

Ok, and 11.88/hr isn't bad for restaurant work. At the end of the day it is unskilled labor and easily replaceable. So, why should the employer feel obligated to offer a higher wage to someone that has no specific skill? It isn't hard to wash dishes, bus tables, and refill peoples' drinks.
    Because you can do better at your local dive bar. $11.88 with no tips is terrible for fine dining. So they shouldn't feel obligated to, I guess, but if they actually want to attract employees, they need to. But like I said: offering $11.88 for that job is pretty much an admission that they'd rather hire H1B workers.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

No one is forcing them to leave their homeland and come to America for a lackluster entry level job.

Quit pretending as if they're being auctioned off as slaves and gruesomely transported to the Americas to work for free and be treated like shit.
    Yeah, they could just die in their home countries.

And it's almost like developed countries like the US requires said immigrants to prop up the recruitment rate for jobs no-gooder Americans like you want to do(assuming you are american).
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my, you're a piece of work. Not everyone is a billionaire, because they don't have the drive to do it. That doesn't mean they aren't given the same opportunities to do so.
    Oh good, so I can expect my dad to set me up with $40 million any day now?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The same way the rest of the wage slaves in America are being exploited. Late Capitalism. *jazz hands*

"Unlimited opportunity", hah. Then why aren't you as rich as Bill Gates? Are you just lazy?
    I'm actually wondering how are immigrants being exploited? Wage slavery for American can be somewhat understood as there isn't much of a choice for many working-class Americans, but immigrants? Most of them choose to come to America and get a better paying job than they would get in their homeland. If they don't like it they can go back to their homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    I'm actually wondering how are immigrants being exploited? Wage slavery for American can be somewhat understood as there isn't much of a choice for many working-class Americans, but immigrants? Most of them choose to come to America and get a better paying job than they would get in their homeland. If they don't like it they can go back to their homeland.
    Conditions being bad in their home countries doesn't excuse them being exploited in America. I mean... do you want a cookie for shitty employers being slightly better than living in Syria?
    Last edited by Trifle; 2018-02-16 at 05:58 AM. Reason: hypothetically, of course.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Depends on the level of service. Knowing how to "speak the language" of those who attend exclusive, fine dining establishments is a must. Proper serving etiquite, knowing settings etc. is mandatory. Is it a place that requires you to memorize orders rather than write them down? Do you need to understand the food being served so that you can ensure the kitchen is always getting orders correct - do you know the difference between rare and medium rare to properly explain to guests and ensure that the kitchen isn't screwing up? How about drinks and wine, what's your knowledge of mid-high end alcohols or popular/common drinks so you can be familiar should guests ask? For wine, some places absolutely require servers be to competently speak about wine as a whole and their particular selections. Can you properly open/decant the wine without fucking up the cork? You'd be surprised at how often waiters fuck this one up in particular, even at fine dining places, which is always a big red flag in terms of service staff.

That's literally 30s-1m of typing off the top of my head. I could go on, if you'd like.

Again, this isn't fucking Denny's.

And if you're working at a fine dining level, also beyond fucking pathetic. Again, you can earn more in a night working at Applebee's than working for $12 an hour without tips.
    Hell, here freaking Arby's pays $12/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Conditions being bad in their home countries doesn't excuse them being exploited in America. I mean... do you want a cookie for shitty employers being slightly better than living in Syria?
    The alternative is that they do not get accepted (which is the realistic scenario) which is worse than having to deal with a shitty employer. This is especially true with low-skill immigrants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    What's weird about this argument is that it implicitly proves that immigrants have it better than working-class Americans. Which is an untenable statement, if not an outright contradiction.
    Obviously not. Americans have access to the benefits the state provide to its citizens and just flat out better-living standards than that of the homeland of low skilled immigrants. But the idea is that they are not being forced to work here, that is a choice they are making and are free to back down from. Working class americans don't have that choice as our system pushes them to get a work to get acces a lot of the benefits provided by the state and other countries (cough cough Canada cough cough) are not that willing to accept them.

Repeating the same argument.. repeating the same contradiction..
    I guess the option of going back to the shithole and being a step above the shithole is not much of a choice, but it still is a choice.

Do you know Canada's per capita immigration?
    Yeah, and I'm also well aware of the type of immigrant they accept. And let me tell you, it ain't working class people who have only finished high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Cute. People still actually believe that low income is the result of laziness and not in fact the inevitable result of a system in which people are required to make their labor available in order to survive but lack any tools to equalize the power imbalance between employers and employees, apparently.

Prithee, why.
    People don't just believe that. It seems to be the freakin' motto of the Republican party these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    No, I'm being objective. Or are you really suggesting that every citizen in this country could be a billionaire at once? Or even a millionaire? You really think that's possible in our economic system?

Oh, and any developed nation offers their citizens the freedom to achieve any level of success they want. It's not like we have a monopoly on freedom or opportunity. We can also objectively measure how successful citizens across various nations are at changing their socioeconomic status. And like I said: compared to most other developed nations, we don't measure very well in that department.
    This is the problem. Conservatives hijacked the American dream and twisted the narrative. It used to be to own a home and have a job that you could retire from that supported you and a family. Now, it's to become rich, and all it requires is hard work. Almost all the millionaires and above inherited the money or had inherited advantages from being in an upper to top socioeconomic level. Rare is it that someone "pulled themselves up by the bootstraps" and became rich. But the conservatives in power peddle this shit, and the people who believe it are too dumb to challenge it, or hell, even look at evidence to prove it false.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Hell, here freaking Arby's pays $12/hr.
    At least Arby's will pay time and a half for overtime. Did you see the ad actually said overtime not guaranteed @ $17,82. Meaning he doesn't even pay proper overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    $11.88 no tips?! You'd be better off at your local dive bar or Applebees. Yeah, he was trying really hard to get American workers...
    Applebee's generally starts you off at about $4/hr with you being at the mercy of other people to make a decent wage. Dunno about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Walmart hourly wage in 2018 starts at $11 per hour. So $11.88 at a resort like Mar Lago is rather pitiful. By the time you account for the cost of the lawyer and fees to obtain the H2B visa, I would think you are better off hiring somebody local at $16 per hour.
    Wal-mart also shut down a bunch of Sams Clubs and constantly runs on minimum staff as a result. And had to be pressured to even do it in the first place.

Assuming people even tip.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    At least Arby's will pay time and a half for overtime. Did you see the ad actually said overtime not guaranteed @ $17,82. Meaning he doesn't even pay proper overtime.
    Good luck actually getting Overtime without being in danger of getting fired from Arby's. Places like that tend to not agree to giving overtime and will fire you for unapproved overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Assuming people even tip.
    https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Applebee's/salaries

Well, if we go by this then you're looking at an average salary between $11.12-$17.37 per hour.

Yeah, even if you get shitty tips/stiffed on tips you're making more, dealing with less, and not needing anywhere near the same level of knowledge/service at Applebees.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is preventing these immigrants from gaining citizenship and moving forward to more bountiful economic endeavors.
    When contradicted you've answered with this gem:

Ok... and, once you're over here what is stopping you from quitting and living illegally like the rest of them?
    Are you kidding?

This is next level bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    When contradicted you've answered with this gem:

Are you kidding?

This is next level bullshit.
    The lack of irony in his posts is amazing.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Applebee's/salaries

Well, if we go by this then you're looking at an average salary between $11.12-$17.37 per hour.

Yeah, even if you get shitty tips/stiffed on tips you're making more, dealing with less, and not needing anywhere near the same level of knowledge/service at Applebees.
    https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/App...ries-E1453.htm

This site says $4.57/hr, so which is more accurate?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The lack of irony in his posts is amazing.
    Yeah, i've seen a bunch of people post contradicting idiocy but that's new.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

You seem like a guy who occasionally does his research. Are you aware that the US doesn't have an immigration policy that distinguishes high value labor from low value labor? Canada does. High value labor moving to the US waits in the exact same shitty line.

Canada also has a lot more people trying to move to their country than the US. There's a reason for that. People want to immigrate to Canada. It's a better place to live. It's a better place for immigrants to "assimilate". Canada chooses who to bring in, and they have significantly more immigration than the US. Weird.
    This is false. More people moved to the US than they did to Canada.

320k to Canada v around 1 million for the USA. Canada's number are impressive for its population, but they do not match those of the USA.

By the way, Canada does accept refugees
    That is not the message they are sending to Salvadorians who are at risk of being deported.

Lmao. I started speaking about per capita immigration. Did you really think I swapped to absolute immigration in the very next post?

No. I didn't. I'm not stupid enough to draw conclusions from a flawed statistic.
    So, tell me then. How are immigration rates supposed to tell us anything about where immigrants want to move to? At most, it tells us about the approach each country takes to immigration policy.

For example, Aruba has a higher immigration rate than Canada, would you say it is more desirable than Canada?