Poll: Should Legendaries stay gone forever?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The system would have been fantastic if the catch up system came way earlier in the expansion. The Wakening Essence thing has been fantastic and should been, imo, how legendaries were done from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Seradai View Post
    I like the general idea of legendaries the way they are in Legion. It felt cool getting this popup and knowing it's a max ilvl item. But it should be limited to utility legendaries, no huge damage increase.
    I think this is my preference too? Like, if they could have made each one max-level item (so good stat stick and maybe even give it ideal secondary stats for that spec), but keep the special ability as strictly quality of life stuff, that would have been nice. Something to feel good about, but not something anyone would feel gimped without. And it wouldn't matter so much which ones you get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    The system would have been fantastic if the catch up system came way earlier in the expansion. The Wakening Essence thing has been fantastic and should been, imo, how legendaries were done from the start.
    But change the rate? Or do you prefer getting everything in the first patch?

- - - Updated - - -

For those voting MoP/WoD system, how would you feel about grinding up your Azerite Necklace and a legendary at the same time? Would that not feel redundant?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I enjoyed Legion legendaries overall though their current form with current balancing and catchups and blp and spec targeting is where I'd like it to have started versus the utterly random game-breaking nature early.

I also am cool with personal effort chains like MOP/WOD although both of those were underwhelming.

What I guess I'd really like is personal effort based specific targeting with questlines and whatnot interweaved through dungeons(including heroic/mythic) and raids to obtain the one you want.

Main thing I miss from WoD ring was growing into a giant bear. Growing big on any other spec has always felt meh, but for some reason I get a kick out of being huge bear, maybe because bears should be bigger than humans (e.g., kodiak grizzlies).

I love legion legendaries, they were fun, changed things up. Could have been less RNG though.

Mop/wod legendaries were super boring and generic and the ones before that were so specific to either a class/spec or role it was BS, specially since some roles basically never got one.

Legion has been the best so far but still needed some tweaking.

I suppose the MoP system was the best imo but i know people miss the whole dick waving like the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    I suppose the MoP system was the best imo but i know people miss the whole dick waving like the old days.
    But would you want MoP system at same time as working on artifact?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster Kolee View Post
    But would you want MoP system at same time as working on artifact?
    TBH blizz could replace all legendaries with artifacts which lets face it is what they really are and have a mop system for other gear and just get rid of that dreaded orange colour once and for all which only seems to bring out the worst in players.

I think the Legion system is probably the best they've been, but honestly the game probably is better off without them existing at all. It's just incredibly hard to balance immensely powerful, immensely difficult to obtain items in a way that doesn't cause issues. Either you're expected to have them and being without feels sucky, or they're so rare and unique that barely anyone gets to enjoy them. Tedious raid grinds are not fun, but 1% drop rates make legendary acquisition feel like a lottery.

Legion's system eventually found a decent middle ground where getting legendaries still felt exciting without making them ludicrously difficult to obtain. The only problem was the discrepancy between good and bad legendaries. I think taking the system as it stands now forward into BfA would probably work out pretty well, but I won't lament it disappearing either.

The one thing I really hope they don't do is go back to the awful, arbitrary raid grind model. That was by far my least favourite system since it stimulated zero interesting gameplay and shoehorned you into repeating the exact same task over and over again without any variation.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the fixed legion system

I like the concept of Legiondaries, but I don't think they should be legendaries. Add a new rarity between epic and legendary (I'll call it "relic" for the sake of this discussion) and include items that are along the same lines of Legiondaries-- there's a limted number that you can equip at a time, and they have cool, unique effects that, unlike epics, can significantly modify class abilities or playstyle. This also adds the possibility of having items that are unique to the theme of a dungeon or raid, rather than having the same set of relics for the entire expansion.

I'm torn about targeting. On one hand, it feels bad to play the entire expansion and never get the one legiondary/relic you really wanted. On the other hand, if you allow perfect targeting you just end up with everyone being "forced" to use the BiS option, for fear of not getting groups.

As far as proper legendaries, I like the ones that are earned individually over the ones that force the guild to choose one person to empower for that tier, or the ones that are pure RNG that drop a complete legendary as normal loot. I don't think it's inherently bad to have one-tier legendaries (like Shadowmourne or Tyragosa's Staff) instead of MoP-style expansion crowners. They'd barely have to modify the process! Just change the progression/drops to be individual loot, and let anyone on the quest loot it instead of it being limited to one drop per raid per boss, forcing the group to choose who gets it.

Deleted
    MoP's and WoD's were the most interesting story-wise. I loved working with Wrathion and Khadgar on a progressive story throughout the entire expansion. That said, neither the cloak nor the ring were particularly interesting in their effects, I would love one where you get to customize exactly how it empowers you so you can create something that is truly legendary for you.

I liked the WOD system of obtaining it, with catch up for old steps. I didn't like the part "someone click your ring for you", I'd rather have a legendary unique to you (your class, your spec). Yes, it was "welfare" but that means everyone is on equal footing, there is no elitism and not much luck involved either, whether you were a hardcore raider or a casual, you could progress the questline. If someone complained it takes long... well at least it was predictable and not RNG and MMORPGs are balanced around stuff taking long to complete, otherwise people complain they're done with the game.

Legion situation where one guy could be "done" after few weeks or even days of "being lucky" and getting his "BIS leggos" while others grinded for 5+ months without getting them was as unfair as it can get. Especially early Legion with 4 leggo softcap so if you didn't get BIS in 4 out of 8, delete your toon. Massive disparities between items (some adding like +20% dps, some being completely worthless before they nerfed the strong ones and buffed the weak ones), BLP bugs, being locked out of any chance to play offspec, people grinding upwards of 2000 mythic+ without seeing what they wanted, hardcore players filling their accounts with copies of the same class in hopes at least one gets the correct leggos.

Not even mentioning Blizzard lies and false hopes "just play content awarding legendaries and you'll eventually get them". This is the case only now, 1,5 years after expansion launch. Not even mentioning they never ceased with the secrecy of "which content actually contributes the best towards legendaries", and when savvy players discovered any jackpots, these would be nerfed (like nether portal farming). So we end up in situations where 2 players have the same /played but one has vastly more legendaries than the other. Because content isn't equal when it comes to grinding legendaries, but Blizzard tries to conceal it as much as possible. There were many disillusioned players who found out "casuals" who grinded emissary boxes ended up better than "hardcores" who grinded mythic+. I was never much of "mythic+ farmer" myself but I can sympathize with those who ran hundreds if not thousands of them because they believed Blizzard's lie "all content can award legendaries but harder content awards it more often".

If they ever make legendaries again, I just hope the system will be as fair and transparent as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    I loved legiondaries. It let content last longer (since it has a chance to give a legendary it's a small incentive to do it) and it adds a lot of variation to builds, talents and rotations.
    i hate them, i dont like old talents, glyphs, baseline stuff becoming item you had to grind for for ages and not able to get all back, and classes just not working without certain ones.
    Like for unholy or havoc the wrists or ring, had to be nerfed 4/5 times before wasnt bis anymore and havoc ring is still bis, cause it litterly fixes the spec. Or firemage increased dragonsbreath range which was a major glyph i believe in past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporebat View Post
    TBH blizz could replace all legendaries with artifacts which lets face it is what they really are and have a mop system for other gear and just get rid of that dreaded orange colour once and for all which only seems to bring out the worst in players.
    Yeah I think that's what they did, and what they've decided.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    How they currently work is probably fine, but it took over a year to get the incarnation I would deem acceptable.

Even then the biggest problem I find with them is they are just two slots that are virtually never going to be replaced. Now BFA fixes this to some degree only locking 3 pieces of gear to "tier" (4 I guess, with the neck). Right now because of TF tier and legendary items, some classes have 6-8 pieces of gear that are locked to those particular items. That makes itemization and getting new items incredibly fucking boring.

Give me back my guild Legandaries. Please god. Lock them to mythic only if you have to, it gives us something to work towards for the entire tier (and sometimes a touch beyond depending on how strong it is)

The current iteration is the worst thing Legion did imo. Locking massive chunks of player power behind a RNG gate as severe as that is and always will be a mistake.

7+ Year Old Account
    The thing with Legion legendaries is that if they didn't exist, I probably wouldn't log in to do much else besides raid. They give a purpose to go back and do old content and current grindy content. The main issue with them is that there's a mix of dps increasing legendaries and defensive/utility ones. Imo they should have all been utility ones. Stuff thats not going to make or break your dps but adds something nice to your utility.

The warrior shoulders are a good example, having 3 charges of leap instead of 1 was actually fun, getting to places very quickly and leaping all over the place. Stuff like that doesn't break the game.

If legendaries were to return, id prefer something like what I mentioned above, or going back to wrath/cata legendaries where it was guild grind to get a player an extremely powerful item. It makes it more special and unique as you won't see thousands of people with it. I never liked the MoP/WoD forumla, cause in the end, everyone has the same thing and that just becomes a requirement, not only that, but the effects were boring. Same with legendaries now which is why I wanted it to be different.

I think the bonuses should be in a talent system instead.

They should be solo content aimed at rewarding people who actively play the game through multiple raid patches, like in WoD and MoP, but they should integrate more solo content like old school class quests and mage tower type scenarios.

The game needs more solo content, why not make it a super long solo grind to get a legendary?