Poll: Player Level Squish, yes or no?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it matters in all honesty

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Uhh... what?
    Is there any correlation between numbers and RP?

It is always funny to me that people feel stronger doing 1,3M dps instead 1,3k while boss has 100M instead 100k. You know, 'M' is TOTALLY different than 'k' in that case.
    Now imagine how AWESOME would you be doing trillions and quadrillions of dps without previous squish!
    This is not right.

I much prefer doing 1-10k damage on my spells. If the numbers get to big i simply stop caring about them. WHich is fine for some, but less fun for me

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It has two points. The first is readability -- and yes, this could be solved by changing notation or downloading an addon, but Blizzard wants players to be able to discern differences in damage and stats at a glance, none of this "1,023,983 vs 1,028,042" stuff. As for addons, Blizzard is going to balance and design the game for people who aren't using any addons, because that's their product. They can't really make the game assuming every single player will install addons.

The second and more important is reducing the servers' CPU load, as they're doing countless complex calculations every second for all the people playing at any given time. The smaller the numbers, the easier and faster it is to do calculations and the less opportunities there are for errors like integer overflows. Given the size of the game and how much is driven by mathematics, everything adds up and ultimately does affect performance.
    Yeah and ofc something like 1200000 can´t in no way ever possible be written in some form like hm i don´t know something like 1.2M or 120k hm?

Noo we MUST have lvl and stat squishes because some dumb fucks have "arguments" like yours that they cant read this bad bad high numbers because their brain is to abd at handling them...

Please do yourself a favour and see yourself out it will help the game.

With the old world scaling, they should've made the 1-60 zones go up to level 80 so you could play a more cannonical play-through (basically going from cataclysm 1-60 to cataclysm 80-85, then mop, wod, legion, bfa)

You'd still have the option to go through WLK/TBC at 60, but have to deal with the story timeline wierdness that comes from doing TBC/WLK era content after doing cataclysm era content.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    I don't think it matters in all honesty
    Have to agree. Really no horse in the race. Just numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I would like it. Simply for gameplay reasons:

- Lower max level means lower max level stats, simply due to the fact that the missing levels won't give us stats with each level up.
    - Lower max level also means each level would feel more meaningful. We could go back to a time where we got a new skill every other level, instead of only getting something new every 2-3 levels in the beginning, and then have 5-10+ levels without getting a single skill, like what currently happens in the highend level regions (80+).
    - Even though we already have consolidated level ranges for expansions, with a lower level we could go even further.
    1-30 = current 1-60
    30-40 = TBC, WotLK, Cata
    40-50 = MoP, WoD
    50-55 = Legion
    55-60 = BFA
    60-70 = Whatever comes next

That would also mean we have more dungeons per level we could visit. Basically, overall it may only be a number, like itemlevel or damage, but imo it would bring some positive aspects with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Yes, I would like it. Simply for gameplay reasons:

- Lower max level means lower max level stats, simply due to the fact that the missing levels won't give us stats with each level up.
    - Lower max level also means each level would feel more meaningful. We could go back to a time where we got a new skill every other level, instead of only getting something new every 2-3 levels in the beginning, and then have 5-10+ levels without getting a single skill, like what currently happens in the highend level regions (80+).
    - Even though we already have consolidated level ranges for expansions, with a lower level we could go even further.
    1-30 = current 1-60
    30-40 = TBC, WotLK, Cata
    40-50 = MoP, WoD
    50-55 = Legion
    55-60 = BFA
    60-70 = Whatever comes next

That would also mean we have more dungeons per level we could visit. Basically, overall it may only be a number, like itemlevel or damage, but imo it would bring some positive aspects with it.
    You completely ignore the fact that it feels worse then anything to be stuck at the same level forever, this is something they hated about the 5 level thing in cata and mop and wish they would have never tried in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Yeah and ofc something like 1200000 can´t in no way ever possible be written in some form like hm i don´t know something like 1.2M or 120k hm?

Noo we MUST have lvl and stat squishes because some dumb fucks have "arguments" like yours that they cant read this bad bad high numbers because their brain is to abd at handling them...

Please do yourself a favour and see yourself out it will help the game.
    Yeah, right, readability when you are seeing dozens of numbers flashing is an intelligence issue.

And yet your argument is "my number get small make me feel weak, me need big number or me not feel strong."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    You completely ignore the fact that it feels worse then anything to be stuck at the same level forever, this is something they hated about the 5 level thing in cata and mop and wish they would have never tried in the first place.
    In an ideal world, the next world revamp would actually send us to the caverns of time after the initial experience and allow us to level in any of the expansion zones from 1-60, with the new expansion content being 60+. Or something similar. A expansion consolidation would help much more. It doesn't even need to take much more time than now, but being able to completely choose where to level (with some sort of minimum level) would probably still speed up leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Except in this case, they could make every level meaningful by giving you a thing each time you level again! Remember how it felt to look forward to each level because you got something? Sure it was usually something like 1% more crit, but at least it's something to look forward to. A feeling of progressing your character that isn't simply tied to bigger health pools or damage. That stuff is given in an RPG. What's missing is the progression feeling.

Right now, you tend to have to wait several levels for anything meaningful to happen because of just how many levels there are to go through, they need to space things out. This ends up feeling bad, especially later on when you already have most of your kit in the 50s, you're simply waiting to get Heroism in the 60s or your Mastery at 80 or whatever. BORING.

Obviously, I'd be totally down for a full level squish if they did it right.

Quote Originally Posted by ecca2 View Post
    Except in this case, they could make every level meaningful by giving you a thing each time you level again! Remember how it felt to look forward to each level because you got something? Sure it was usually something like 1% more crit, but at least it's something to look forward to. A feeling of progressing your character that isn't simply tied to bigger health pools or damage. That stuff is given in an RPG. What's missing is the progression feeling.

Right now, you tend to have to wait several levels for anything meaningful to happen because of just how many levels there are to go through, they need to space things out. This ends up feeling bad, especially later on when you already have most of your kit in the 50s, you're simply waiting to get Heroism in the 60s or your Mastery at 80 or whatever. BORING.

Obviously, I'd be totally down for a full level squish if they did it right.
    They're not going to shorten time to level, you may "get" something every level but when it takes you an hour to go 1-2 and 12+ to go 59-60 you just turn people off more than 120 levels overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This is not right.

I much prefer doing 1-10k damage on my spells. If the numbers get to big i simply stop caring about them. WHich is fine for some, but less fun for me
    I think you did not get the sarcasm bro.

Pretty good idea. Numbers have been running too high imo.

The number squish largely has to do with game performance with working with very large numbers at a very fast rate. A level squish is hardly necessary in that regard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    We're getting the second stat squish with BfA, along with an Item Level squish.
    The question is simple, would you be OK with it if they squished Player levels, for example back to 70 or 80?

And just to clarify in case more hostiles enter: I'm neither for nor against a character level squish. It's just a number. I'd be OK with it either way.
    Can't see this working somehow.

100% against level squish.

Yes. I think the number of levels is getting to be daunting even for a long time player like me. I can't imagine what a new player might be thinking when they start out.

I don't have problem with stat squish
    But level squish feel unnecessary and it will piss of lot of people

The game needs a level squish. A potential new player sees a level cap of 120 and is immediately overwhelmed. At WoWs age it needs to be more approachable.

Not only am I ok with it, I'm all for it. Being the altoholic that I am, I really don't want to level 110 levels every time I make a new character. And I do not want to buy level boosts. Luckily I'm so far in with leveling alts that it wouldn't make much of a difference now unless i decide to start playing on a new server or to level the allied races.