Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Yeah, then every single Korean MMORPG has millions of times more content than Legion.
    The difference being that Korean MMOs have nothing but grinding. Legion has a good storyline. M+ and Class storylines were great additions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    I hated WoD because of garrison and missions. Because you could equip your garrison with everything you needed(vendors/AH), no one went to the main cities anymore. With garrisons being phased, you just sat there by yourself waiting for raids/queues to pop. It stopped feeling like an MMO to me so I quit. Class Halls was a welcome change and the main hubs(Dalaran) came back. I hated Legion because of AP grind, and random legendary drops. Feelsbad when you play the same or more than the other person, but they have 3-4 legendaries and you have 1.
    BFA seems to be taking the best of legion and tossing out the worst 2 or 3 things. So, Im thinking it will be even better. It will still have an AP grind, but looks like it wont be as bad, but remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    BFA seems to be taking the best of legion and tossing out the worst 2 or 3 things. So, Im thinking it will be even better. It will still have an AP grind, but looks like it wont be as bad, but remains to be seen.
    The grind will not be spec-specific, right? This by itself is a huge improvement.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The grind will not be spec-specific, right? This by itself is a huge improvement.
    No, and it will just be passive. You will unlock a few ranks for each piece of gear, and after that any further Azerite seems to just increase your stats.

- - - Updated - - -

They also seem to maybe be bringing valor back. Some sort of alternate currency since Azerite wont be quite as deep.

Deleted
    since vanilla the the game only got better with expansion right up till wrath, after wrath everything changed and each expansion was worse than the previous

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    The difference being that Korean MMOs have nothing but grinding. Legion has a good storyline. M+ and Class storylines were great additions.
    whole ton of peope dont really care about lore or class storylines and do enjoy their grinds.

wow with its raids and dungeons is outliner in mmo world not norm. just look at new mmorpgs being released each year - none of them relies on outdated systems like dungeons and raids to carry their product.

and if wow players havent invest nearly 15 years of their life they wouldnt defend such outdated systems so deseprately.

for a lot of people playing wow trying out anything new is not an option solely based on time they put into wow that cannot be returned to them. they just dont have choice.

Why Legion seems to be better received than WoD?
    Because WoD was abandoned 20% into being done; Legion is more like 70-80%. That's why it's received better -- it feels like an actual GAME, not like a glorified facebook skinner-box with a monthly fee. Sure, it's still a skinner-box but that is the nature of videogames as a whole. What differentiates good ones from bad ones is the amount of stuff you're compelled to do. And you can't honestly tell me WoD had more compelling things than Legion.

WoW 1.0 ("Just add things to the game, see what sticks") ended with Wrath; WoW 2.0 ("Streamline and simplify") begun with Cata and ended with WoD. Legion is the beginning of WoW 3.0. Time will tell what this era in the game's life will feel like, but if they tone down BOTH the adding of new crazy sh*t AND pruning things people grew to know and love, WoW will be way on its way to continue being the best mmo in the world for 10 more years. (even though that is largely because of how there's just no other objectively good MMOs, without a thick crust of bullshit coating every bit of brilliance each of the alleged wow-killers had at their core)
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2018-02-17 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    WoD started with over 10 million subscribers, and after the expansion's performance, this number collapsed to about 5 million and lower.

The remaining few million players are mostly passionate veterans of WoW, and because of this passion, any change is magnified. So they see 1 extra patch from WoD as extraordinary. Only problem is that these are mostly the only players remaining, so there is a bias towards threads portraying Legion being a good expansion, despite millions of dissatisfied players leaving in the last year or two who are not voicing their opinions since they are no longer around.

In summary, most of the remaining players are irrationally optimistic about the game which leads to a positive bias towards the quality of Legion.
    WoD started on a huge high note because Blizzard banged the gong of 'this is going to be TBC all over again' except it was anything but and that expansion- outside of raiding/leveling- was complete and utter catastrophe.

They've actually delivered what they said they would deliver, for the most part, during the course of the entire legion expansion. There's been aspects of Legion that have been underwhelming and even 'good on paper, bad in practice', but the overall feel of the expansion post-AP nonsense and legendary grind is much better received than Warlords.

Personally I think Mists was the best expansion since Wrath (Legion is a close second), but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    Personally I think Mists was the best expansion since Wrath (Legion is a close second), but that's just me.
    It's not just you.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    They "hide" it because when they do a quarterly call... It features many games WITHOUT a subscription model. You can't display to your shareholders separate information, they want it together and snappy. Out of Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone, WoW, Starcraft, Heroes of the Storm, Candy Crush Saga, Bubble With Saga 3, Call of Duty, Skylanders, Crash Bandicoot, soon Spyro and many other games that Activision Blizzard HAVE. Dating as FAR back as 1982... Their library of games... has ONE with a subscription model. ONE. Just one. I'll repeat one. One.

It's wasting time out of over like 100+ games to deliberate information solely on ONE game with it's own business model. When Blizzard have 7 games to speak of alone.
    This is laughable. They stopped releasing the figures because to continue would have been damaging. Simple business/PR decision, nothing more.

Legion is like WoD but with worse raids and exponentially more grinding. Like a poster said above, MoP was the last good expansion since WotLK.

What in the actually F are you talking about? This was by far the best expansion since BC or Wrath. Class Story Lines, Epic Artifact weapons, tons of mounts-not to mention class mounts, a main story line even if it was jumbled at times, ILLIDAN!, TITANS!, SARGERAS!, content more rewarding than previous expansions but I even admit they need to up the ante on grind rewards- oh wait they did ALLIED RACES, DEATHWING, Old Gods, finally kill Gul'Dan, Demon Hunters, and so much more. You or anyone who shares your opinion need to face the facts- you don't like this game, because this was a lot of good content.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    There was literally no quality in WoD..
    Levelling zones as bad as Northerend.
    Bad to mediocre raids.
    Lore that was raped.
    Zerg-dungeons, WotLK style.
    Class ability purge.
    are you talking about legion or wod? I honestly couldn't tell. you described legion pretty well there btw

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    whole ton of peope dont really care about lore or class storylines and do enjoy their grinds.

wow with its raids and dungeons is outliner in mmo world not norm. just look at new mmorpgs being released each year - none of them relies on outdated systems like dungeons and raids to carry their product.

and if wow players havent invest nearly 15 years of their life they wouldnt defend such outdated systems so deseprately.

for a lot of people playing wow trying out anything new is not an option solely based on time they put into wow that cannot be returned to them. they just dont have choice.
    I can only give you my POV. The only reason why I haven’t jumped to a different MMO is because the world and story are the last thing those dev teams care about. GW2 has an interesting premise but the whole thing seems empty. If W1-3 didn’t build up this great story I don’t think WoW would have done as well.

Yeah this thinking doesn’t account for everybody, but it counts for something.

Legion has content. What content remains after 3 years, not all of that content remaining is interesting. There are mount goals, pvp prestige goals, side things to do: finishing off profession/eye of ashzara fishing mount that wod didn't have. WoD we just leveled more alts and went to raid towards the end. Paragons are something to work towards but while I've gotten a few I can see why that isn't appealing to everyone as content. It is better than wod with world quests and invasions imho; wod endgame was just raiding and tanaan jungle from what I remember.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    WoD started with over 10 million subscribers, and after the expansion's performance, this number collapsed to about 5 million and lower.

The remaining few million players are mostly passionate veterans of WoW, and because of this passion, any change is magnified. So they see 1 extra patch from WoD as extraordinary. Only problem is that these are mostly the only players remaining, so there is a bias towards threads portraying Legion being a good expansion, despite millions of dissatisfied players leaving in the last year or two who are not voicing their opinions since they are no longer around.

In summary, most of the remaining players are irrationally optimistic about the game which leads to a positive bias towards the quality of Legion.
    "seems to be better received then wod"
    uhhh it is better received then wod, and is MUCH, MUCH better then Wod.
    also seriously? do you see how many shit posters the game has ,it is FAR from "only the most passionate players are left, sheep, all normal people quit"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    This is laughable. They stopped releasing the figures because to continue would have been damaging. Simple business/PR decision, nothing more.
    Mine's least based on an overall view of the company with its' spearhead of 2 companies and a sub company together that's traded for decades rather then because "lol, it's damaging to release figures" when those figures before today have been bigger then populations of certain countries. With laughably, WoD - dubbed the worse expansion ever, starting off with 7.5million subs and ended with 5.6million subs as bad. Blizzard themselves even stated that Legion did better than WoD, heck the playerbase appreciate it better than WoD. Jesus. You know, Norway have only 5.2million as a population right?
    Can't be that bad of a game has a consistent playerbase as near big as a country since 2006 to easily 2015. Google "wow subs" and click Images to see if you don't believe me, and that is from MMO champ itself by the way. And do the math really. That many people continuously paying for a subscription also inclusively purchase goods provided exclusively by them even further, from vanity items to stupid shit like boosts recently. And if you forgot, to have a subscription ... you have to own and purchase the game!! With and/or potentially bundles depending on what level the player is because new players still magically join the game! And with two different varieties at least for Legion if you're not a completely new player. They therefore, sold x-millions of copies as base level to actually generate a subscription player base to comment on.

So really those subscription numbers aren't needed when it essentially excludes people buying a digital/hard copy at base value, with a subscription to play at least 1 month and the extra cashflow was spent on pets, mounts, helms, character changes, server changes, faction changes on that said time in the subscription.

And really, because it's so damaging to who fucking exactly? It won't be the playerbase, they're not gonna go "Oh noooo! 2 million people quit?! Fuck so should I!". No. Are the shareholders gonna get damaged? No. Why? The quarterly call is for them, documenting company making millions of profit from people purchasing their product. Have you never noticed how Blizzard haven't released numbers on sales from additional services? Or did you forget all that extra revenue? MMO-Champ will only release so much. And better yet, this released information of subs and shit shows to potential customers, it's well invested in to have such following and therefore worth investing in. Expansions don't make themselves.
    Tell me, what other MMO has that same credibility and profitable revenue? And, and. Lasted nearly 15 years. To have subscription model when even bigger branded names like Star Wars can't do it. And business wise, those potential customers are going to look beyond the public released information and not on this site for sure. So who is it damaging?

Get real.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2018-02-18 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    WoD did not have a stellar raid setup - there were fewer bosses and raids than in any previous expansion by pretty much every metric.

People only say this because raiding was the least fucked up thing in WoD, an expansion where literally everything was bad, including raiding.
    People enjoyed WoD's raiding for quality, not quantity. I've seen a lot of people call BRF their favourite raid. Of course you may disagree, but I don't think that it's just a case of it being better than everything else in WoD.

WoD just broke halfway through. The quests were great, the first raid tier was great too. Hard to say what happened internally, but clearly they skipped a tier because "reasons" and the last patch was kind of shoehorned in story wise which made it feel pretty weird to play. I dunno, I had fun in WoD, I did a lot of CMs, raided casually, tried out a bunch of new alts cause leveling was stupid easy.

Legion was better over all, the quests were good again, Suramar was really excellent but I didn't like the time gate for Insurrection. Rep gate is fine IMHO, but a quest each week felt weird. The raids were great on average, few meh encounters, but mostly fun and challenging. The dungeons are great, mythic+ has kept them relevant. Titanforging is a bit out of control IMHO and could do with a giant nerf. Legiondaries are I dunno, kind of awkward but fun when you get a new one.

I have high hopes for BFA, I think they will have learned a few good lessons from Legion, and they have some good systems in place now and a good release pace for patches.