Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyero View Post
    Would be better if void ranger would be a Hunter spec than an actual class
    Genuine question. Why do you think so?

I personally think that there is enough to make a completely separate class very distinct from the hunter. Also I personally don't see some of the Hunter races to fit a Dark Ranger / Void Ranger archetype (Gnome Void Ranger i.e). Besides, we need another bow user :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Added several pictures and icons per several suggestions.
    Clarified spec introductions, and increased reading-friendliness.
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

As nice as it does sound, I am really over 'dark' themed classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    As nice as it does sound, I am really over 'dark' themed classes.
    Aye, I tend to agree with you. We have a lot of "dark" themed classes and specs already. However I do still believe that we will eventually get the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger class whenever the expansion allows it.

What would you prefer?

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMANIKOLAS View Post
    EDIT:
    [SIZE=2]- Added a few different icons to clarify abilities and talents. (Please note, that they are subject to change)
    - Attempted to make the post more reader-friendly through colors, and text placement.
    Beautifully executed, very interesting post, thanks.

I Normally lurk, made an account just to say thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moatheron View Post
    Beautifully executed, very interesting post, thanks.

I Normally lurk, made an account just to say thanks.
    Thank you for your kind words and for joining MMO-Champion to compliment me. I feel flattered !

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
    I don't give a damn about some mechagnome shit tinker classes and necromancers that doesn't fit at all. The dark ranger is everything this game needs. We need another class using bows and crossbows.
    Don't be fooled. With Druskvar and the blood trolls, we are getting necromancy as an adopted Alliance/Horde practice. Not this expansion, but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    I've wanted dark rangers for a long time now.
    Sadly I don't think Blizzard knows how to implement them story wise and concept wise.

I mean they TRIED to emulate the whole "dark ranger" vibe with the dark shot talent in start of legion, along with a tier set that looked close to that which Sylvanas uses, but it just feels like it was a big miss and that they won't bother ever coming back to it.

What I think might happen, if the theory of each race in wow recruiting an allied race is that Sylvanas would somehow create forsaken 2.0. Perhaps through using azerite she can empower her magic to the point where she's capable of rising forsaken who's bodies have been preserved much better. This could EASILY be plausible, but I doubt they would actually go this route.
    Interesting theory. I do agree that they may have attempted to simulate a Dark Ranger through a few of the Marksmanship hunter talents, and the armor, however I doubt that that will be the end of their attempts. If they want to add the class or flavor of the Dark Ranger they will find a way - I am sure :-)

Hmm it does make sense that Sylvanas would attempt to use Azerite for something like that. It's not too far-fetched i think. Perhabs that will be the gateway to the Dark Ranger class, and Alleria expanding her teachings to allow the Alliance to have Void Rangers :-)

Aye, I tend to agree with you. We have a lot of "dark" themed classes and specs already. However I do still believe that we will eventually get the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger class whenever the expansion allows it.

What would you prefer?
    Honestly, pretty much anything.

A tinker class would be great since it could use both ranged weapons and mail as well as bringing something fresh to the table.

A bard class would be interesting, but I can't see it really taking root. 'Bards' have never really been a 'WoW' thing.

To be honest, I can't really think of another class that would bring anything new to the table. Necromancers could, but again, we've already got enough 'dark' themed classes and more than likely it'd be borrowing spells from Death Knights and Warlocks. I suppose my only real 'wants' is for it to be mail, ranged and/or have a heal spec.

Thematically, I think we've got most everything covered with the current classes. Not against new ones, but I'd rather none over "It's like an X version of [class]" If we start getting to that point, I'd rather more classes getting a fourth spec instead. Make the Dark Ranger a hunter spec. Chonomancy-based heal spec for mages, ect.

Honestly, pretty much anything.

A tinker class would be great since it could use both ranged weapons and mail as well as bringing something fresh to the table.

A bard class would be interesting, but I can't see it really taking root. 'Bards' have never really been a 'WoW' thing.

To be honest, I can't really think of another class that would bring anything new to the table. Necromancers could, but again, we've already got enough 'dark' themed classes and more than likely it'd be borrowing spells from Death Knights and Warlocks. I suppose my only real 'wants' is for it to be mail, ranged and/or have a heal spec.

Thematically, I think we've got most everything covered with the current classes. Not against new ones, but I'd rather none over "It's like an X version of [class]" If we start getting to that point, I'd rather more classes getting a fourth spec instead. Make the Dark Ranger a hunter spec. Chonomancy-based heal spec for mages, ect.
    Tanks for the constructive reply.

I agree that a Tinker class could work wonders for the game and is a fanfavorite like the Dark Ranger. I am sure you have already seen the great class concept on the front page of GD.

In regards of the Necromancer I could personally see it work. There was a great concept a few months ago, describing 3 very distinct specs that was independent from the Lock and DK.

In regards of introducing the class as a 4th class. I disagree since my implementation of the class is in my opinion too distinct from the hunter to allow it as a 4th spec. Furthermore several races available to hunters would not fit the class fantasy that I aim for in my opinion. I think that the class I designed is able to bear it's own archetype without being limited within the hunter archetype :-)

In regards of the Necromancer I could personally see it work. There was a great concept a few months ago, describing 3 very distinct specs that was independent from the Lock and DK.
    Yeah, but my problem with the Necro is that even if it's mechanically different, thematically it's too similar. It would be like adding a 'Brawler.' Mechanically different to a Warrior or Monk, but thematically, not so much. (Just a quick example off the top of my head.)

Yeah, but my problem with the Necro is that even if it's mechanically different, thematically it's too similar. It would be like adding a 'Brawler.' Mechanically different to a Warrior or Monk, but thematically, not so much. (Just a quick example off the top of my head.)
    I agree in some ways, however I do personally think there is room for a melee and ranged version of the same thematic, especially if they revolve around different mechanics and can be distinct enough from their counterpart.

Edit: Added FAQ to the main post, as well as answering a few questions that has not been asked yet..
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2018-02-17 at 02:12 PM.

i really believe the dark ranger concept will be used for a class someday

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Ghost View Post
    Don't be fooled. With Druskvar and the blood trolls, we are getting necromancy as an adopted Alliance/Horde practice. Not this expansion, but soon.
    Maybe. I am not against it. It's just that a dark ranger seems like a more attractive idea for me. And when you mention it, I would actually like a necromancer class, but maybe a bit different than the one introduced in Diablo? Something more tribal, ghostly, witchy.
    Last edited by Big Mama; 2018-02-17 at 03:34 PM.

I really like this. The Dark Ranger has always been a favorite and what you've put together is well thought-out and executed. Maybe, and I'm just spit-balling here, you could add a 3rd spec for healing that uses more arcane and time based magic? Like using shots (like the Overwatch character, I forget her name) to heal, but using chronomancy to reverse damage and heal wounds instantly or over time. I know it wouldn't fit with the dark theme, but then again, there are some classes with a wide diversity, like the priest having a shadow spec along with it's two light-based specs. Just a thought.

I think you could potentially develop both the melee and ranged rotations further if you had a distinct melee and ranged spec, then a third spec as a hybrid.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but ranged appears to entirely generate the melee resource, and vice versa. If I want to play ranged, what can I not cast if I run out of discipline?

Quote Originally Posted by bardicbass616 View Post
    I really like this. The Dark Ranger has always been a favorite and what you've put together is well thought-out and executed. Maybe, and I'm just spit-balling here, you could add a 3rd spec for healing that uses more arcane and time based magic? Like using shots (like the Overwatch character, I forget her name) to heal, but using chronomancy to reverse damage and heal wounds instantly or over time. I know it wouldn't fit with the dark theme, but then again, there are some classes with a wide diversity, like the priest having a shadow spec along with it's two light-based specs. Just a thought.
    Thank you for the kind words. I was thinking about adding a healing based spec, but find it difficult to implement in a theme that fits BOTH the Void Ranger and the Dark Ranger. My general idea for a Dark Ranger healing spec would be something akin to Discipline Priests, where you would shoot arrows at the target and store their "Pain" that you could use to heal others. I also dabbled with ideas of a targeted "Touch of Karma" where the Dark Ranger transfer damage taken on an ally to an enemy and store "Pain" from it. In regards of the chronomancy/ arcane aspect, I think it would be more fit for a 4th spec for Mages rather than a spec for the Ranger, but that's just my opinion :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I think you could potentially develop both the melee and ranged rotations further if you had a distinct melee and ranged spec, then a third spec as a hybrid.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but ranged appears to entirely generate the melee resource, and vice versa. If I want to play ranged, what can I not cast if I run out of discipline?
    Thank you for your constructive reply.

I agree, that with separated damage rotations the rotations could be further developed. The thing is that I have ALWAYS wanted a class that is focused on both ranged and melee physical combat, and this hybrid aspect is something that we have not currently seen in the game (from what I recall). Although it does seem that Blizzard is testing the waters with these hybrid melee/ ranged archetypes with the new iteration of the Survival Hunter coming in BfA. I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggest with the Ranged / Melee / Hybrid specs, but I figured that I want the main theme of the class to revolve around getting in an out of melee range and scrapped that idea.

You're not missing anything in your observation. The class is balanced around generating your ranged resource through spending your melee resources and vice versa. You can counteract this with Tactical Focus every 1 minute that turns your current max Ferocity into Discipline at a 1-to-1-ratio in Stalker Stance, and vice versa in Predator Stance.
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2018-02-17 at 04:17 PM.

With void elf hunters being a thing there's likely no chance of a Void Ranger class.

The game has plenty of classes as it is, the last one took a bunch of cool stuff from warlocks to make. Blizzard isn't going to rip a bunch of stuff from void elves and hunters to create a combination class when that combination exists already.

Even tinker still rips a bunch of stuff from engineering, which TBH if they did take anything from the already dying profession there'd be nothing left to make it worthwhile.

New classes aren't needed and with new races being much easier to manage they'll probably just keep the classes we have. TBH I don't want more classes, I'd rather have more playable specs for existing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    With void elf hunters being a thing there's likely no chance of a Void Ranger class.

The game has plenty of classes as it is, the last one took a bunch of cool stuff from warlocks to make. Blizzard isn't going to rip a bunch of stuff from void elves and hunters to create a combination class when that combination exists already.

Even tinker still rips a bunch of stuff from engineering, which TBH if they did take anything from the already dying profession there'd be nothing left to make it worthwhile.

New classes aren't needed and with new races being much easier to manage they'll probably just keep the classes we have. TBH I don't want more classes, I'd rather have more playable specs for existing classes.
    actualy in bfa hunters dont have almost any magic attack, all being removed or replaced, so a classe like this may happen in a future

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your point of Void Elf Hunters beings a thing, could make the Void Ranger class problematic, but I do believe that there is plenty of room to distinct the class from the race without stepping either on the toes. Furthermore, the class I am presenting does not steal anything from other classes, and is distinct enough from Hunters to warrant their own class and specializations. I suspect that you may not have read through the class abilities or playstyle based on your response, but I may be wrong?

In regards of the Tinker class, I think that it is a VERY easy concept to come up with, that can be unique in it's own way without stepping on the toes of Engineering. There is a great concept for the Tinker class available on the front page of the General Discussions, that has several specs available not borrowing anything but "bombs" from the Engineering profession. You mention how the Demon Hunter took a bunch of cool stuff from Warlocks to make, and I do agree but I personally think that it was for the better. The fantasy for the Demonology Warlock was all over the place, and it's sudden niche (in MoP I believe?) to turn itself into a Demon was very far from what I personally saw a Demonology Warlock, and Blizzard apparently agrees with this. They managed to create a totally new niche for the Demonology Warlock, which in my opinion is looking really great come BfA. I personally believe that the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger can easily co-exist with the current iteration of the Hunter, without taking anything away from either of the specs.

In regards of new classes not being needed, I disagree once again. I personally think that a new class brings a breath of fresh air to the game and keeps things fresh. Of course they should not focus on that new class only and leave specs unenjoyable or unplayable, but just like the Hunter can co-exist with my iteration of the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger I believe that a new class and playable specs can co-exist.
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2018-02-17 at 07:19 PM.

Genuine question. Why do you think so?

I personally think that there is enough to make a completely separate class very distinct from the hunter. Also I personally don't see some of the Hunter races to fit a Dark Ranger / Void Ranger archetype (Gnome Void Ranger i.e). Besides, we need another bow user :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Added several pictures and icons per several suggestions.
    Clarified spec introductions, and increased reading-friendliness.
    True we do need another Range class since it's been sorely lacking, I approve of this along side with Tinker, Necromancer!