Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Darkest Hour - ?/10

Apart from Gary Oldman's performance, the movie was pretty meh. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, to be honest. If it was just for the performance, then it's 10/10. I love Gary Oldman, and I think this is one of his greatest acting achievements. But other than that, the movie didn't have plenty of substance to me, nor did it make me care enough about Churchill himself as a historical figure, or other characters in the movie, or the whole idea of citizens wanting to fight back and how much it was actually important for Churchill to succeed.

I understand it from a historical perspective, but there wasn't enough emotional investment for me, which I think should be an important purpose of the movie, otherwise I could just watch a documentary. So I have no idea how to rate this movie.
    I would give the movie a solid 9/10 and this little clip from the dressing room an even more solid 11/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0O8CVGySo

I'm not sure you know exactly what technobabble means Al Gorefiend.

Black Panther (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think it's as radical as, say, Logan, Deadpool or The Dark Knight trilogy, but it's different enough to feel refreshing to me. I liked a different setting than we're used to, I liked the characters and acting a lot, I thought it handled its themes well and they were prominent. The villain was pretty great too, especially compared to most other villains in the MCU, you could see his point and it wasn't just driven by the desire for selfish gain.

The soundtrack is also usually lacking in MCU movies, but here I appreciated it and liked it. Some weak points would be the visual effects not always being convincing, the action scenes were fine but didn't feel weighty or very exciting. Fortunately the movie leans a bit heavier on drama rather than action or comedy compared to other MCU movies. The first part of the movie feels a bit "shaky" to me, like Ryan Coogler kind of had to come to terms and get comfortable with a big budget movie.

I, Tonya (2017) - 8/10 (B+)

Darkly funny drama about Tonya Harding's life and career. Margot Robbie and Allison Janey give great performances. I liked the way it was structured with the contradictory and inter-cutting interviews while the story was being told. I wasn't around for the events so I don't have first-hand experience with the Tonya Harding hate, but the movie made me feel for her. The themes feel quite relevant as well.

Molly's Game (2017) - 8/10 (A-)

Terrifically written and fast-paced movie based on a true story, which apparently is par for the course when it comes to Aaron Sorkin. The writing in this movie is witty, clever, snappy, thought-provoking and filled with literary references, all of which I love to see in a screenplay. The movie demands you pay attention at all times, and it makes you want to, being utterly engaging. Idris Elba has great screen presence and charisma as always, but I guess I've slept in class when it comes to Jessica Chastain, because she's electrifying here, and really sells her character's intelligence.

Just saw Black Panther. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. A good chunk (and I mean, like, almost three-quarters) of the movie was painfully boring. I get that it's an origin story so I didn't knock too much off if for that, but it still dragged the good parts down, and there weren't enough of them to justify watching it again. There was a bit of decent humor, but the interactions between characters weren't interesting or entertaining for the most part, and the only worthwhile parts were the technology and action scenes. The CGI at times felt like it was from two different eras, though.

So yeah, basically it was an okay movie that would've felt more at home coming out five or so years ago, because it felt like a huge step back from the rest of the MCU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw Black Panther yesterday, 7.5/10. I really enjoyed it. Was some political thing they kept banging on which got kinda "yeah yeah we get what you're trying to say..."
    And I just saw Three billboards outside ebbing Missouri. 8/10. Really good movie Sam Rockwell was by far the best part. hope he wins the oscar because he deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder solid 7.5/10, good watch, cute, some tears here and there, funny at times, pretty accurate how shits school can be and especially if you have health/mental/physical problems.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Justice League - 3/10

So bad...

- A lot of the fight scenes were terrible.
    - The lines were corny.
    - Bad CGI.
    - Batman sucked (given).
    - I hated how they tried to over-sexualize Wonder Woman with a shorter skirt and numerous ass shots.
    - Aquaman was completely useless and came off as a surfer/cowboy.
    - Cyborg and Flash were decent.
    - Story was predictable and boring.
    - Vilian was underwhelming.
    - Superman, for the most part, was more goody-two-shoe, which is truer to character but I think they over did it. Also, his lines were dumbed-down and he had these stupid one-liners.

Ugh, what a wreck of a movie. Fuck off already, Snyder
    I think the problem isnt necessarily that superman has corny lines, because he's always had corny lines before he got snydered.

the problem is they backtracked him from a massmurdering sociopath to a guy with corny oneliners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Panther
    better than Thor Ragnarok, almost as good civil war/winter solider

*twists mouth*

The Black Panther actor was at the NBA All Star game last night. He was "part" of the dunk contest, because he gave one of the dunkers a Black Panther mask to put on, as part of the showmanship. I don't really think he's cool enough to be at the NBA games or giving out masks like it's a big deal.

I've noticed that you guys gave a wide range of opinions on the movie. I can't wait to watch it so that I can roast it. (I hope.)

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    come on, it's worth watching for the subway scene alone :P
    Actually, I disagree. If the point of that scene is to make me impressed, or get me moved and inspired by the unity of the citizens, it failed. Especially with the focus on the little girl that basically just repeats the rhetoric of her parents and doesn't actually have a mind of her own yet. Followed by Churchill approaching her and reciting poetry that I barely understood, let alone a child.

Sure, from a movie making standpoint, it sounds nice, it looks nice, etc. But after the majority of the movie having witty/funny script as you mentioned, they needed to dig much deeper in order to make me seriously care at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Actually, I disagree. If the point of that scene is to make me impressed, or get me moved and inspired by the unity of the citizens, it failed. Especially with the focus on the little girl that basically just repeats the rhetoric of her parents and doesn't actually have a mind of her own yet. Followed by Churchill approaching her and reciting poetry that I barely understood, let alone a child.

Sure, from a movie making standpoint, it sounds nice, it looks nice, etc. But after the majority of the movie having witty/funny script as you mentioned, they needed to dig much deeper in order to make me seriously care at that point.
    I don't think it was about the "unity of citizens"

I think it was more about how churchil realized that his responsibility was for the people of the country, and not a few pompous assholes in parliament. it was the deciding moment of his character development. and sure the child was saying what her parents told her, but her parents were still regular people. and that was the point.

Black Panther 8/10. Solid, enjoyable, and well acted; if not a bit wonky on the pacing and some of the character development; and the tried and true but still formulaic plot was formulaic but tried and true. And let me preface this by saying I'm not as familiar with BP as other Marvel heroes unfortunately.

I bought Killmonger's backstory as motivation, and Michael B. Jordan did a damn good job, but he didn't really do it for me much beyond that. Spoiler tagged just in case:Wasn't enough for me to take him serious as the big bad- that really should have been Klaue's spot. Them killing him off so quick is an affront Andy Serkis killed it btw.

Overall, pretty good. Over hyped, but pretty good.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked Killmonger as a villain. I like that he was pretty no nonsense and just straight up executed some people

7+ Year Old Account
    Girlfriend's Day (2017) - 5/10

Netflix suggested this to me and with Bob Odenkirk in it I figured I'd give it a shot. The movie isn't horrible. I laughed, mildly, a couple times. Found the acting to be decent and the story to be ok. Overall, two letters sum it up "ok".

Black Panther 8/10, I really enjoyed the movie although at times the pacing seemed a bit off.

Live By Night - 3/10 The streak of sub-par movie viewing continues with this completely meandering yarn about a post-WW1 gangster type. The directing in this one is as bad as Affleck's acting, with awful character development, too many pointless characters, and one of the most absurd 'climactic' stand-offs I've seen in a very long time. Even the costumes are bad.

Goodfellas 10/10.

It kept me engaged and the acting was perfect. I thought it depicted gangster life perfectly, instead of romanticizing it to shit.

Black Panther 7 /10

Really good movie but I found some parts to be a little to easy to predict even for a superhero film. I also wanted a little more back story to the bad guy. A quick synopsis and little character building just didn't cut it for me. Killmonger was a formidable villain but needed more character building for me.

Overall well worth the watch.

Black Panther...it was okay. 7/10 Had the action sequences been better than adequate, and had there been more of "nobility" and T'Challa's incredible intellect, this movie could have equaled Winter Soldier.

Phantom Thread - 7/10

Not really sure how to score this one. DDL's acting in this again shows why he doesn't really have any rivals, and the camera work is stellar, as is the soundtrack. The story itself is a bit lacking in some respects, not the least of which is that while the flick tries to portray Woodcock as a man who believes himself to be cursed, he simply comes across as an insufferable asshole who simply has no other level to his persona. The 'hiding secrets in the clothing' ultimately has little to no significance in the story, and when all is said and done he gets deceived into a position of needing Alma in his life rather than actually growing to love her on his own. Perhaps that's the main point of it all in the first place, I don't know.

I feel like anyone who liked Anderson's The Master will also enjoy this.

Lady Bird 8/10

whilke the premise is nothing new (teenage girls learns she's not that special and grows up). it was still very well made. the dialogue was great, the performance by Saoirse Ronan, and Laurie Metcalf were fantastic.

the editing in particular was really outstanding, and it really helped to make the movie stand out.

but I think Edge of Seventeen did a similar story better last year.