Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would 1st world policies work in 3rd world countries?

Hello,

Would implementing 15$ minimum wage or liberal attitudes towards crime and drug addiction and other vices benefit the 3rd world?
    You can also add free schooling collage including, healthcare, high end infrastructure ect to the list.

Yes/Not why?
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

I'm pretty sure there's no system of any political leaning that could be plunked into something completely foreign and just work. It's like how anthropologists always talk about the futility of giving advanced aid to backwater villages - all they need is water, and all they know how to use is a pump, so giving them top-of-the-line water filtration technology is just giving them a hunk of shiny metal while still leaving them with their water problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

You can't just impose those types of programs when a) you don't have a really well functioning government and b) you have very little tax revenue to operate from.

You have to bring a country out of third world status by improving their education, health, and industry and THEN you can consider implementing those programs.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    Hello,

Would implementing 15$ minimum wage or liberal attitudes towards crime and drug addiction and other vices benefit the 3rd world?
    You can also add free schooling collage including, healthcare, high end infrastructure ect to the list.

Yes/Not why?
    Those polices don't even work in first world countries. All a minimum wage is, is a law that says a person is forbidden from accepting a job at their market rate. Make all employment legal, and we will all be better off. This is especially true of the people currently banned from working by the government, for not having a market value above the minimum.

The only problem in third world countries is corrupt government. That is literally the only thing that needs to be solved.

Also, this is in the wrong section. This is a Gen-OT topic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Those polices don't even work in first world countries. All a minimum wage is, is a law that says a person is forbidden from accepting a job at their market rate. Make all employment legal, and we will all be better off. This is especially true of the people currently banned from working by the government, for not having a market value above the minimum.
    It's impressive that you supposedly have a job with your daily display of lack of knowledge about anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This.

You (usually) cannot force a culture on a people. The people will revolt and go back to the old system. The change has to be organic. The people (a majority of them) have to push for the change themselves.

Education, exposure to new ideas, etc, is how you do that.
    And even then people will revolt. ^^

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2018-02-18 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please explain why the government should subsidize the labor cost of business with taxpayer dollars.
    Forum badass alert:

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL... probably true... but people aren't rational...and tend to be fickle. Which is why governing is so hard, and why we keep lurching from one system to another as cultures and people change.
    Some people just fear new stuff or change regardless of how it happens. ^^ They rationalize it away with whatever bullshit makes sense to them.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Very true. I think coping with change is probably something that is going to be more important as technological innovation pushes for more and faster change in societies.
    One of the biggest problem the western world and its democracies currently have. Some people just can't keep up with how technology and the internet works, resulting in a large number of people distrusting the media but instead trusting random facebook posts.

Yea, I'm sure a 15 dollar minimum wage would work amazingly in Africa (thats sarcasm)

You'd literally be paying people in an hour what they earn in a day. That would work well for the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Please explain why the government should subsidize the labor cost of business with taxpayer dollars.
    That's a different argument entirely. And a very complicated one. The short answer is, the public sees that only offering aid to the unemployed, can trap them in the system, if the system pays more than the free market. Therefore, we have chosen to extend benefits to those who are working, but not making more than the system would give them. I personally support that. The SNAP program, for example, only costs us about $40b a year. That is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. We could double that, and not even miss it. So, I don't see a big reason to change how we do it.

Also, I assume you are envisioning BIG business, such as Wal-Mart being the great recipients of these benefits, via their employees working for less. I would remind you that something like 80% of Americans work for SMALL businesses, not places like Wal-Mart.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It's impressive that you supposedly have a job with your daily display of lack of knowledge about anything.

- - - Updated - - -

And even then people will revolt. ^^
    Personal attacks don't make your arguments stronger.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, I assume you are envisioning BIG business, such as Wal-Mart being the great recipients of these benefits, via their employees working for less. I would remind you that something like 80% of Americans work for SMALL businesses, not places like Wal-Mart.
    Huh, you really think people still trust your "facts" Mr. banned 250 days of the year? You are a funny character, i have to give you that.

Personal attacks don't make your arguments stronger.
    What argument?

10+ Year Old Account
    The short answer is
    Actually you didn't answer the question at all. All you did was state that you support taxpayer dollars subsidizing the labor cost for business without actually answer why that's a preferred system to expecting business to pay the full cost of labor.

So, again, please explain why you support transferring the wealth of individual people to the corporate profit statement.
    Forum badass alert:

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    Hello,

Yes/Not why?
    Not really because that would undermine first world prosperity which in many ways right now depends on third world poverty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Not really because that would undermine first world prosperity which in many ways right now depends on third world poverty.
    It wouldn't benefit 3rd world countries because it would undermine first world prosperity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Huh, you really think people still trust your "facts" Mr. banned 250 days of the year? You are a funny character, i have to give you that.

What argument?
    I'm ok with you remaining ignorant of facts I am presenting, because you don't trust me as a source. I'm just sharing my view. If you disagree, feel free to discuss with me why you disagree. But, as it stands, it seems like all your posts are just insults and name calling. /shrug

Your ban history isn't exactly great either. Just sayin...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Actually you didn't answer the question at all. All you did was state that you support taxpayer dollars subsidizing the labor cost for business without actually answer why that's a preferred system to expecting business to pay the full cost of labor.

So, again, please explain why you support transferring the wealth of individual people to the corporate profit statement.
    I gave you a lengthy explanation of my views, that you cropped out, then asked me to give again. I'm going to pass. Your question is already answered in what you cropped out.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm ok with you remaining ignorant of facts I am presenting, because you don't trust me as a source. I'm just sharing my view. If you disagree, feel free to discuss with me why you disagree. But, as it stands, it seems like all your posts are just insults and name calling. /shrug

Your ban history isn't exactly great either. Just sayin...
    I know, i don't have any, that is compared to you really not impressive, not at all. Anyhow, i don't trust your facts as you don't present any, you could of course start to link to something for a change.

The only problem in third world countries is corrupt government. That is literally the only thing that needs to be solved.

Yup, water shortages, poor education, famine, AIDs, ebola and malaria. All caused by government corruption. You are so myopic it actually hurts to read such stupid. The world isn't that black and white or simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Yup, water shortages, poor education, famine, AIDs, ebola and malaria. All caused by government corruption. You are so myopic it actually hurts to read such stupid. The world isn't that black and white or simple.
    All SOLVABLE by an uncorrupt government.

Please don't call me names. I have not done that to you.

You can't realistically implement any of those until you eliminate the biggest problem: their tendency to enable dictators/authoritarian regimes. A prosperous educated population goes against their interests.

All SOLVABLE by an uncorrupt government.

Please don't call me names. I have not done that to you.
    I didn't call you names. I said you acted stupid. You did so my point stands. One addresses you, the other addresses your behaviour. Learn the difference and stop playing the victim card.

Prove they are all solvable by an uncorrupt government? I mean, when it doesn't rain in an African country for 3 years, how does not being corrupt solve crop shortages? Hint, it doesn't.