Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    To see another bricks-and-mortar retailer (bookstore, not game store, but that's fairly similar) in serious trouble, where very skeezy corporate moves are occurring, look at what's happening to Barnes and Noble:

http://audreyii-fic.tumblr.com/post/...f-barnes-noble
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2018-02-18 at 01:57 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Haha ya no shit, never forget when I went in there tryna trade a bunch of old games in and they were tryna give me a dollar each. Brick and mortar is useless with Steam and other online retailers. No clue what their niche even is at this point or how they are still functioning. Guess those Pokemon events are helping?
    There niche was selling games cheaper than buying them new and buying them back cheaper than used so you'd get another game and repeat the cycle. With the growth of online downloads and game sharing they're sales declined in the pre-order new/used section so to compensate they started buying used shit for less and less til eventually no one wanted to sell to them because they're a meme at this point. All of that culminating into the situation they're in now. Though, it might not just be them, it might be all brick and mortar video game stores. Going the way of brick and mortar comic/card shops went when buying online meant you didn't have to go sit in a room, full of sweaty neckbeards not wearing deodorant, to try and trade for or hope to pull w/e it was you were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I still don't get the hate. They've never messed up an order unlike amazon. Like yeah, they don't make the best business desicions, but whatever
    I don't hate them either. They have always been pretty good to me in general. The employees have always been great. It just sucks how little you get back for games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't hate them either. They have always been pretty good to me in general. The employees have always been great. It just sucks how little you get back for games.
    Well that's corprate, but otherwise they wouldn't make much money anyway. Gotta do what they gotta do

Well that's corprate, but otherwise they wouldn't make much money anyway. Gotta do what they gotta do
    Well you can see how that ideology turned out for them. They lose business. Like, even if you buy a game for 60 bucks.. and sell it back to them in a week.. you will likely get 30 bucks from it. Then they will resell it at 55... Wtf is that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well you can see how that ideology turned out for them. They lose business. Like, even if you buy a game for 60 bucks.. and sell it back to them in a week.. you will likely get 30 bucks from it. Then they will resell it at 55... Wtf is that?
    But that's how they make money. Should they buy it back for 30 and sell it for 30?

But that's how they make money. Should they buy it back for 30 and sell it for 30?
    I'm not going to argue with you over this. I'm no expert lol! But all I see is Gamestop being reviled as a meme, and now possibly going out of business. Their business model didn't work that well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to argue with you over this. I'm no expert lol! But all I see is Gamestop being reviled as a meme, and now possibly going out of business. Their business model didn't work that well.
    It was working alright, but dumb corporate wanted to move into tech and stupid ass funko pops. I don't blame them for wanting to make more money, but they could have coasted on being in the grey while also providing jobs to people

The only reason I still go to my local Gamestop is my thirst for the woman who sometimes works there in the evenings. I am not proud of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SethRoguen View Post
    The only reason I still go to my local Gamestop is my thirst for the woman who sometimes works there in the evenings. I am not proud of myself.
    I admire your honesty.

- - - Updated - - -

It was working alright, but dumb corporate wanted to move into tech and stupid ass funko pops. I don't blame them for wanting to make more money, but they could have coasted on being in the grey while also providing jobs to people
    Yeah now that you mention it I now recall the walls of Funko Pop type items lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Their business decisions are fine for the most part? Hell if not for them Xenoblade 1 never even comes to the US.

The only time I see people hating on gamestop it's because they can only get $1 for their shitty 2 year old sports game they can't resell and lucky to get $1 for tbh or the fact they treat their employees like trash. Only the 2nd one is legitimate tbh.

Overall gamestop is pretty damn friendly for the consumers, their trade in bonuses usually provide some of the best deals in the industry.
    I would disagree honestly for the friendly part.

I've had them
    1) screw up my Fire Emblem Fates purchase so badly, it was suppose to be an online order that came with both games, advertised as physical copies, and it was suppose to come with extra keychains for preordering. Not only did it only come with one copy of the game, but after 2-3 hours of trying to get in touch with them, ends up it was suppose to ship with a digital code to redeem for the extra story. Lovely. They had to give me the code via phone call because it never shipped, and then on top of that, the keychains didn't come until a week later because why would you ship them together right?

2) They have the worst rewards card nonsense ever. If I'm paying them so I can have more benefits, I would expect them to have better security. Instead, my account was not only hacked/taken/whatever, but they allowed the person to change all the personal information to a completely different name and address, while allowing them to claim all my points. Yeah, nothing suspicious there! Had to call them up again to get that fixed, took another hour or two, and then they said "We'll restore your points, but only this once". After a password/email change, guess what happened again? Yeah. Thanks Gamestop.

It's an awful company in my opinion. That doesn't even touch upon how they try to shove all their extra stuff down your throat because if that salesrep doesn't sell a certain amount of cards/warranties/used games, they'll get fired.

No but they don't have to do insane mark up prices, they give you $10 for a game and they resell it for 59, that's nearly a 600% mark up
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    No but they don't have to do insane mark up prices, they give you $10 for a game and they resell it for 59, that's nearly a 600% mark up
    Yeah no. Show me which game they do this for

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    2) They have the worst rewards card nonsense ever. If I'm paying them so I can have more benefits, I would expect them to have better security. Instead, my account was not only hacked/taken/whatever, but they allowed the person to change all the personal information to a completely different name and address, while allowing them to claim all my points. Yeah, nothing suspicious there! Had to call them up again to get that fixed, took another hour or two, and then they said "We'll restore your points, but only this once". After a password/email change, guess what happened again? Yeah. Thanks Gamestop.
    So the classic I didn't have good account security so the company must be at fault?

Or let me guess you're going to try to claim the recent hack that only effected CC numbers, and if your card was possibly effected you where notified to get a new one?

Amazon, paypal, PSN, XBL, hell anything that is popular has accounts targeted by fishing scams, keyloggers and the whole 9 yards. Not sure why you expected PUR to be any less and had lackluster protection of your account. They fixed it for you, what more do you want? The fact you didn't fix whatever account flaw you had the first time is on you.

So the classic I didn't have good account security so the company must be at fault?
    Let's see, a complete change of everything, and instantly accessed within an hour again?
    Along with this being a big issue, and I've never had any issues anywhere else?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/co..._being_hacked/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/co..._points_issue/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/co...ccount_hacked/

Or let me guess you're going to try to claim the recent hack that only effected CC numbers, and if your card was possibly effected you where notified to get a new one?
    This was 2 years ago about, I've stopped going to Gamestop since.

Amazon, paypal, PSN, XBL, hell anything that is popular has accounts targeted by fishing scams, keyloggers and the whole 9 yards. Not sure why you expected PUR to be any less and had lackluster protection of your account. They fixed it for you, what more do you want? The fact you didn't fix whatever account flaw you had the first time is on you.
    Did you bother to even read the point where I did everything I could?
    Changed my email on the account, changed my password, changed security questions.

Yet again, gone within an hour.
    Never had an issue with ANY other site like that, and while I could say maybe it was malware on my computer, I changed my information through gamestop themselves, and never had a chance to log in again by the time it was already spent (I got the email that they spent all my points again before even getting a chance to).

Yeah no, not buying that it was my fault at this point. They fixed it for me, while saying "We're not doing this again". That isn't something that should happen if the account was compromised because of their own horrible system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've had tons of bad service experiences there, so I'd also disagree that they are consumer friendly.

I've had lost preorders, lost and incorrect items, bad information, misleading information. On at least two occasions, I've had them outright blame me for their mistakes. No appologies, no correction.

The last time I shopped there, I ordered a very specific controller online to replace one I'd broken and wanted that day. I ordered it for in-store pickup from a store a few cities over. I got the email that it was ready for pick-up in the morning, and drove down the store on my lunch break. They didn't have it ready. Counter lady told me snottily, "you can't just show up, you have to wait until we email you that it is ready." I showed her the email on my phone saying it was ready and instead of "oops, sorry, that was a mistake" she says, "we didn't send that email."

RIGHT. I FORGED AN 'YOUR ORDER IS READY NOW' EMAIL BECAUSE REASONS.

She goes in the back to look for my order, and while she is back there, I get a new email that says the item is out of stock and my order has been cancelled and refunded. I don't know if that was actually the case or she just entered that in the computer because she was pissed at me for whatever fuckup their system had, but fine, whatever.

I ordered the item again from online, this time to ship to me. Received it and the controller was loose in the box, no packaging, and broken. Ordered yet again and received the wrong controller. Went into another store to return it (website said I could) and the counter person was like "this is for the right console, the plug will fit. why can't you just use this one? Why doesn't it matter if it's not the style you wanted? I mean, the plug fits, I can show you" in a super condescending tone like I don't fucking know how a console works. I had to actually argue with them in order to get them to even process the damn return. [I ordered a Nintendo Classic controller and it was a Flight Pad. The button configuration on those is impossible to use for some retro games.]

Was just a clusterfuck from start to finish and on every level the employees acted like I was stupid or lying. I'm a pretty chill person; I never get mad or rude or any of that. And, look, I worked retail in the past. I know it's a shit job and I'm sympathetic and would never blame an individual for something that was bad company policy or some kind of system failure. I would have had zero issue if they had been appologetic or explained it was a mistake, but no, the problem was clearly that I was an idiot or nefarious, or both.

I ended up buying a knockoff controller on Amazon just because I didn't trust them to try yet again and no one else had what I needed.

AND THATS JUST ONE OF MANY STORIES. There are plenty of employees that seem competent and decent but have had far more bad experiences that good ones across the 9845704857 Gamestops in my area. Aside from being obsolete, they just don't have good practices.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

So?

They made 25, and you made 30.

What is your point...

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

Do you think that putting a price tag on a game means that they instantly receive the sales for it? If they're giving $10 for some new $55 used game... that game is probably piling the fuck up in the drawers across the company, and they haven't sold the first 10 they have let alone your copy.
    Last edited by fangless; 2018-02-19 at 05:16 AM.

Not trying to sympathize with the corporate beast but brick & mortar is muy expensivo, especially in a mall. Renters have to split the costs of the whole mall, so they have to turn a considerable profit to operate. However owning real estate can be a large asset.

Quote Originally Posted by SethRoguen View Post
    The only reason I ever step foot in a Gamestop anymore is to visit a buddy of mine who works there. I haven't bought something from Gamestop in years and still never intend to either, even though my buddy works there. Hell, even he straight up tells me "Don't buy shit from here, seriously". You know something is fucked up with a company when their employees tell their friends and family to steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by trabajador5k View Post
    Not trying to sympathize with the corporate beast but brick & mortar is muy expensivo, especially in a mall. Renters have to split the costs of the whole mall, so they have to turn a considerable profit to operate. However owning real estate can be a large asset.
    Gamestop's are mostly non existent in malls. They started moving out of malls during their expansion in the late 2000s. There are still a few mall stores around, but they're very very rare.