Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Thats your CPU, unless you have SSAAx4 or SSAx4+CMAA with Ultra High Shadows and View distance 7+ during raids, or render scale 200% your GPU couldnt care less that WoW is running.

And if you do have those settings then it means you have bad settings for raiding
    Nah, rest of my system is pretty much top notch. I've upgraded about a year ago, was expecting huge bump in performance, as everyone keeps spouting that it's all CPU dependent. Biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Sure, performance in Dalaran is amazing, and anywhere crowded is not a problem, but as soon as spells start to fly, GPU shits itself.

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Nah, rest of my system is pretty much top notch. I've upgraded about a year ago, was expecting huge bump in performance, as everyone keeps spouting that it's all CPU dependent. Biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Sure, performance in Dalaran is amazing, and anywhere crowded is not a problem, but as soon as spells start to fly, GPU shits itself.
    >_> <_<.

I cant be bothered typing the same shit about draw calls for the 200th time on here.

A 970 with decent settings doesnt give a fuck about WoW, at 1080p, maybe with the extreme settings i mentioned above it does, but overall, no it doesnt.

And your "top notch PC" doesnt mean shit when you are sprouting nonsense like that, especially if you arent OC above 4.5Ghz.

Your best bet is the used market. I got a used (refurb) 780ti off of EVGA.com a couple weeks ago for $80. Sure its older, sure its power hungry and runs hot, but its roughly equivalent to a 6gb 1060 that goes for $300 in today's market.

- - - Updated - - -

What are your exact specs? "Pretty much top notch" can be interpreted as many different things.

1050 since crypto miners have ruined everything with a decent amount of VRAM and power.

The 1060 I got a year ago is currently going for 50% more than I bought it for.

The whole thing is madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    What is 800 if you have a job? If you cannot afford a 800 euro GPU you are doing something wrong in life OR you have other priorities then gaming.. which is fine..
    Once you get a real job, spending hard earned money like that will be harder. You gotta be really determined or very enthusiastic so spend that kind of money on GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    You can buy the cards direct from EVGA at RRP(never in stock). It is definitely the retailers.

I got my 1080 at retail from Amazon in early November .
    And you don't think that both AMD and NVidia have raised their prices to retailers? lol

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Should? The 980 gtx demolishes 1080 and 2k resolutions. How come the graphics card from the following generation (a TI variant at that) is marked as "SHOULD" be able to handle medium to high.

So confusing :/
    Dude, a 980 blows a 1050 Ti out of the water. The 1050 Ti is mega budget (or supposed to be...) and the 980 was, what, a $500 card when it launched? Come on man, this is simple stuff.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Intel BX80677I57600 K Quad Core, OCd to 4.44GHz
    Asus Prime Z270-A Gaming Mainboard Sockel 1151
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB at 3k MHz
    EVGA Y2 220 G2 0650 PC

Everything on SSDs and cooled by Noctua NH D15, so even after a night of running prime95 my CPU does not break 60c.

Sure, it's not i7, but I was running first generation i5 before, so one would assume a decent bump, if wow is so CPU dependant? Well, I've gotten amazing FPS everywhere, except where it matters. And no, I do not run some extreme settings in raids, just MSAAx4 and High SSAO and textures, everything else on Fair or Low. Sliders at 6, 5, 6.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    >_> <_<.

I cant be bothered typing the same shit about draw calls for the 200th time on here.

A 970 with decent settings doesnt give a fuck about WoW, at 1080p, maybe with the extreme settings i mentioned above it does, but overall, no it doesnt.

And your "top notch PC" doesnt mean shit when you are sprouting nonsense like that, especially if you arent OC above 4.5Ghz.
    All I see is you angrily shouting at people over the internet, but so far, you're not making much of a case. I'm speaking from personal experience. Anecdotal as it may be, it beats your hearsay.
    Last edited by mmoc485edc1e5f; 2018-02-16 at 08:11 PM.

All I see is you angrily shouting at people over the internet, but so far, you're not making much of a case. I'm speaking from personal experience. Anecdotal as it may be, it beats your hearsay.
    "Shouting angrily over the internet", new term.

What you are experiencing my dear person, is very very normal.

Firstly, any sort of Anti-aliasing in raids is a mistake, especially if you guild is a competent Mythic guild.

Secondly, WoW is CPU dependent cause SERIAL DRAW CALLS.

You can OC to 6Ghz for all i care, raids will always have FPS problems for that very reason.

And for that very reason, your GPU is never doing any work, therefor what you are claiming, does not exist with a GTX 970, unless you have fucked up settings, Anti-Aliasing included.

Thirdly, you mentioned a first generation i5, without mentioning what, was it a 2500K at 4.4Ghz too? Then of course you wouldnt see much of a difference, but if you went from a 550 Ti to a 970 then obviously you saw a difference.

And i am not talking "Anecdotal personal experience".

Therefor, when you do not even know which setting does what, its best to not give false information is my point.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-02-16 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    The issue is more complicated. First, there's shortage of flash memory chips which cause the huge increase in RAM and GPU prices (VRAM uses the same chips). In a world where usual fluctiation for manufacturer price was around 5$, now the prices for AMD/NVidia have increased for about 30$ each card. So, baseline, cards cost more due to component shortage.

Add to this the cyptocurrency bubble, and there's a sudden spike in demand. Retailers are the ones who set the price at this point and they're the ones making money out of it. Sure, Nvidia/AMD get more revenue out of GPUs, but it's a fraction of what you paid. Plus, all the rest of "gaming related gear" rests on shelves because a) miners don't care shit about that and b) given RAM/GPU prices a lot less gamers are willing to buy them since budget have risen quite a lot.

TL;DR: it's not AMD/NVidia's fault, and they cannot simply "make more cards". There's a lot running under this situation.
    You basically confirmed what I said....but glad I'm not entirely right(to learn somethings about what's actually happening). That seems part of Nvidia's frustration is they can't keep up with the demand...which is why it makes sense they want the retailers to prioritize gamers first.....but honestly what real company will do that...the cards are selling either way....I just wish they could make GPUs that specialize in mining to get the miners off gaming cards. Some algorithm or something to benefit mining and gaming....this does make me worried about the next generation of GPUs too....although I am pretty glad I have a 1080 that should last me quite a few years now....As much as it sucked to spend the $600 on it when my 970 shit the bed...It makes me damn glad it shit the bed when it did and not now.

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno, I have 970 and even now it struggles in 20 man raids. 30 man is pure aids.
    so turn down some settings? I had a 970 and was mostly fine when I turned certain settings down...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stick with your 960 for now.

I'm running a 2500k @ 4.5 with a 960 and I still get 60fps everywhere except Dalaran, Suramar and 20man raids where it dips to 45-50 with settings at 1080p 2xMSAA and default 7 settings. This dude with the 7600k has obviously done something wrong.

With BfA supposedly adding DX12 support we should finally be seeing proper multi-core support as well bumping fps up even more in busy situations.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhokzor View Post
    Stick with your 960 for now.

I'm running a 2500k @ 4.5 with a 960 and I still get 60fps everywhere except Dalaran, Suramar and 20man raids where it dips to 45-50 with settings at 1080p 2xMSAA and default 7 settings. This dude with the 7600k has obviously done something wrong.

With BfA supposedly adding DX12 support we should finally be seeing proper multi-core support as well bumping fps up even more in busy situations.
    Where did you see that? :O
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Built the system in my sig in October, the 1080 was $560 and it's now $1200 on Newegg and $900 on Amazon.

I wasn't aware prices had increased this much.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Wait until April and get a 2060.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Where did you see that? :O
    If you look in the patch noted for alpha build 25902 you'll see they added a few lines for DX12 api. Its wishful thinking of course, but if it's truly there we'll at least see SOME improvement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhokzor View Post
    If you look in the patch noted for alpha build 25902 you'll see they added a few lines for DX12 api. Its wishful thinking of course, but if it's truly there we'll at least see SOME improvement.
    Not necessarily, just because it's DX12 doesn't mean we'll see literally ANY improvement.

It may just be API access as to get the main things we want (Draw Call and other Call parallelization) the entire netcode would also have to be adjusted BARRING the API access code.

Considering the amount of time and money that'd take, not to mention validation as it opens a giant can of worms, it's unlikely to be anything but a surface booster with the same limitations we have today.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Bitcoin will go to $1 million.
    The high price is here to stay !

Get a 2nd mortgage, and buy the best graphic card.
    It is a good investment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OBM View Post
    What about the 1060? I'm actually looking to completely upgrade my entire PC. But just starting out with deciding on the graphics card first. I have an i5 that I am interested in upgrading to an i7. I like to stream as well and as it stands now, I can stream with the i5, but I can also feel the PC being slightly sluggish when playing games.

But if the prices are out of wack right now on everything.. I don't mind waiting.
    new hardware is coming out in april and may.. from both amd and intel, possibly nvidia too but thats not confirmed yet like it is with intel and amd

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Bitcoin will go to $1 million.
    The high price is here to stay !

Get a 2nd mortgage, and buy the best graphic card.
    It is a good investment.
    I'm pretty sure that's the worst advice I've seen on these forums... and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by OBM View Post
    In an ideal world where money isn't an issue, I'd probably buy the best graphics card on the market. But back to reality.. What is a solid GPU that won't break the bank and will handle any game with medium to high settings on a 1080p monitor
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html