Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    hm 2 weeks until Captain Marvel starts shooting.

I expect some info soon.
    Heard Brie Larson has gained 45 pounds to help more accurately represent the diverse range of body images you can find today. She is taking it pretty seriously

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Heard Brie Larson has gained 45 pounds to help more accurately represent the diverse range of body images you can find today. She is taking it pretty seriously
    yeah, obviously although she already looked great.

CW is not really a warrior like WW so she doesn't need to be more muscular.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2018-02-18 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    yeah, obviously although she already looked great.

CW is not really a warrior like WW so that she needs to be more muscular.
    Isnt she a combat jet fighter? Theres only a handful of woman in the world in that role. So naturally she would at least need to pass high level fitness tests.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Isnt she a combat jet fighter? Theres only a handful of woman in the world in that role. So naturally she would at least need to pass high level fitness tests.
    yep.

it's kinda scary how this movie is one of the most hyped up after IW.

'Black Panther' brings in a record-breaking box office weekend

All hail the king.
    "Black Panther," Marvel's first film directed by an African-American, brought in an estimated $192 million for its three-day debut in North America this weekend. That's the fifth biggest opening of all time.
    The opening for the film starring Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan did not just shatter expectations, it broke multiple box office records too.
    It blew away the record for the largest opening for an African-American director. That belonged to F. Gary Gray and "The Fate of the Furious," which opened to $98 million last April.
    Disney estimates that the film will bring in $218 million domestically for the four day holiday weekend. The film brought in an opening of $361 million around the world.
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/18/medi...ice/index.html

Current estimates say it could reach 1b total box office by the end of its run. That's pretty insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Its not that shes smarter shes just starting from a better knowledge base. It would be like comparing an average physicist today to Einstein.
    How much of the technology is based on having access to "magi-tech" though? Not sure if they address it in the movie, but does Wakanda's technology actually require the Vibranium environment to function on that level or could they ship flying cars everywhere? I mean, obviously Vibranium works elsewhere for it's Panther-suit-ness, but how much of the Wakanda tech is "high knowledge" vs "we got magic rocks and know how to use them"?

I'm not opposed to the Soul Stone stuff, but with Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor both having established tech of sorts, it'd also be nice to just tie it to one of those two cycles.

It's meaningless. Just ignore all the critics SJWism and enjoy the movie imo. I really enjoyed it. I think I would put it just under civil war.
    I always figure movies have to stand on their own merits, so it sort of irritates me as much when they promote it for being XYZ as when folks hate it for featuring XYZ. Plus, a lot of the times when folks say "African", they mean "American of African Descent". I'm pretty sure there have been a lot of movies made in some African nation that feature an actual African director and African cast. (Or maybe not, fuck if I know Africa's movie studio environment is like!)

I'll see Black Panther someday, though I've prefer something of a Winter Soldier feel, we'll see. I haven't seen Ragnarok yet, a bit tired of watching the same movie with a different cast.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    How much of the technology is based on having access to "magi-tech" though? Not sure if they address it in the movie, but does Wakanda's technology actually require the Vibranium environment to function on that level or could they ship flying cars everywhere? I mean, obviously Vibranium works elsewhere for it's Panther-suit-ness, but how much of the Wakanda tech is "high knowledge" vs "we got magic rocks and know how to use them"?

I'm not opposed to the Soul Stone stuff, but with Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor both having established tech of sorts, it'd also be nice to just tie it to one of those two cycles.

I always figure movies have to stand on their own merits, so it sort of irritates me as much when they promote it for being XYZ as when folks hate it for featuring XYZ. Plus, a lot of the times when folks say "African", they mean "American of African Descent". I'm pretty sure there have been a lot of movies made in some African nation that feature an actual African director and African cast. (Or maybe not, fuck if I know Africa's movie studio environment is like!)

I'll see Black Panther someday, though I've prefer something of a Winter Soldier feel, we'll see. I haven't seen Ragnarok yet, a bit tired of watching the same movie with a different cast.
    Oh my gawsh, you've got to see Ragnarok mate. It was incredible. It's nothing like the first 2 Thors. It was nonstop laughs and stupidity mixed with action. Had a very guardians of the galaxy vibe.

I think Black Panther is skippable. It only barely ties into the MCU at the moment. Will probably be more relevant when IW arrives, but for now it felt like the Netflix-verse where it's too shy to acknowledge the greater MCU as a whole and drops little nods instead (like Zemo and Martin Freeman)
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2018-02-18 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Oh my gawsh, you've got to see Ragnarok mate. It was incredible. It's nothing like the first 2 Thors. It was nonstop laughs and stupidity mixed with action. Had a very guardians of the galaxy vibe.
    Yeah, I hear that a lot. The thing is, I didn't think either Guardians was that great! (Also, Firefly sucked! Uma Thurman is a horrible actress!) Sure they were okay, fun in some ways, but they weren't engaging for me. Not that Thor2 was good (other than the one scene flipping through dimensions), at least Thor1 had the advantage of being early. AntMan was a fun movie for me, much more fun than either GotG, even if they messed up Pym Particles.

I think Black Panther is skippable. It only barely ties into the MCU at the moment. Will probably be more relevant when IW arrives, but for now it felt like the Netflix-verse where it's too shy to acknowledge the greater MCU as a whole and drops little nods instead (like Zemo and Martin Freeman)
    That's another thing that's gotten tedious for me. I watched the Infinity War teaser and all I could think of was "this is just a postcard for the super-fans". Material needs to stand on it's own and some of these Marvel movies just seem like "hey, you need to see this to keep in the series" rather than "hey, this will be a great time!". Black Panther should be an engaging movie, but all the advertising is "hey, black people here" rather than "this is the story". (There was a clip showing some bar fight thing where they catch whatsisname, but it looked a little silly.)

Oh, and I'm tired of melee.

Killmonger represents the angry black American like that one black guy who got tired of cops shooting black people and he got a gun and shot four cops dead, I'm thinking it was Dallas TX? He reminds me of this black kid who was rioting in Los Angeles back in the 60s who said "I'm tired of all this, they're going to have to kill me." So he has to speak and act like a gangster, it fits his character.

Wakanda is isolationist like the US was pre WWII, they could help black people but they don't.

So Killmonger is right in the sense that Wakanda just can't sit on the sidelines and do nothing but the violent uprising he wants to start is to extreme.

And Killmonger wins in the end, Black Panther opens an embassy in Oakland CA and plans to help the inner cities. Killmonger achieved his objective.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed black panther though it seemed short to me for some reason and wasn’t really a fan of how killmonger ended.

vibranium works everywhere. a good chunk of the movie isnt even in wakanda, alot of the early scenes take place in south korea

also, outside of north america the only countries with big budget films is england and china and china is still very much growing, theres not really any comparison to america in terms of huge big blockbusters. japan, india, and south korea have a nice local film production but its nowhere on the level of america and england. you'd be hard pressed to find someone internationally whos super into bollywood movies.

people keep pointing to movies like blade or will smith movies or other movies made or starred in by black people but they dont realize that this movie is on a different level.

the budget, the scope of this movie, and the freedom they gave coogler. because of wakanda being so isolated and black panther having only been in one movie they essentially gave him free reign to do whatever he wanted. he and the cast got to choose the dialect, the culture, the iconography, they didnt try to push infinity stones or tie ins onto him they just let him make his movie his way with the people he wanted, its similar to gotg where, thanks to it being on its own for the most part, coogler got to carve out his own corner of the mcu and do what he wanted with it.

can you honestly say there is another movie made by the black community that has ever been of the scope of this movie? and wakanda as a whole is pretty unique, almost all media representation of africans is that of primitives or backwards, left behind, even when theyre portrayed positively its usually as the magical black man trope. wakanda is pretty much the only time africans are portrayed as not only powerful and prosperous but intelligent as well, sophisticated, advanced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Killmonger represents the angry black American like that one black guy who got tired of cops shooting black people and he got a gun and shot four cops dead, I'm thinking it was Dallas TX? He reminds me of this black kid who was rioting in Los Angeles back in the 60s who said "I'm tired of all this, they're going to have to kill me." So he has to speak and act like a gangster, it fits his character.

Wakanda is isolationist like the US was pre WWII, they could help black people but they don't.

So Killmonger is right in the sense that Wakanda just can't sit on the sidelines and do nothing but the violent uprising he wants to start is to extreme.

And Killmonger wins in the end, Black Panther opens an embassy in Oakland CA and plans to help the inner cities. Killmonger achieved his objective.
    that wasnt his objective. killmonger wanted revenge, he wanted glory and to conquer.

the point is that both wakanda and killmonger were wrong in how they treated the world. an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, two wrongs dont make a right etc etc.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Took my son and his best friend to go see Black Panther, I've taken them to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and a few other movies. I will say the both enjoyed the movie a lot more then the others, his friend is mixed but raised by his mom's family who are black. He seemed to really get into the character and was running around playing and pretending after they got home. I don't really remember him being that hyped for gotg2 or logan, so I guess that is cool and all. But personally I didn't enjoy it as much as gotg2, it wasn't bad by any means I just simply didn't enjoy it as much.

I very much enjoyed the movie. It was immense fun and thats something movies forget to be sometimes.

I also dont mind that it was sortof disconnected from the marvel movies. Sure you had watson there and influence from civil war but i feel the laxk of spiderman level external influences made sense due to wakandas independance and seclusion. Plus it holds merit because it showed us the movie can standup on its feet and not depend on the rest of the mcu too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Also its hilarious that Marvel is making a habit of picking up stray human torches and making them awesome.

I feel the villain had a very good reason for becoming what he is. Which is great given how shallow some villains have been. I mean the poor kid was raised on "magical fairy tales" by his dad about Wakanda and its beauty and might. He reads his dads plans and goals to "help people". Then one night those same fairy tales, from his perspective, murder his dad for the "good" he wanted to do and he has to go through the system as a black orphan in the projects, knowing Wakanda exists and he is a prince's son. That shit will mess anyone up and twist what they believe in.

The scene where his father in the spirit realm realizes what he turned his son into?
    Damn.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2018-02-19 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    (snip)
    I mean, obviously Killmonger isn't "rational" in his plans, but worrying about the state of black people in America and opening an embassy in Oakland is a big example of what I mean by americanized. The movie is meant to appeal to an American audience, it's meant to illustrate the "oppression" and "systematic racism" of African Americans.

To do so it just ignores the very real, very important problems in their neighboring countries in Africa though. Drought, Famine, War, Pestilence... Wakanda could make some very real changes, what are they going to do in the USA?

Enjoyed Black Panther. It was pretty good, but not amazing. I really enjoyed the world they built, but I think the world-building really slowed down the first third of the movie. The CGI fight at the end was pretty bad too. Some of the new characters were great, but Black Panther became massively overshadowed in his own movie by pretty much everyone.

From some of the reviews, I was expecting it to go full preaching SJW but the politics in it were very balanced and, while clearly using a history of colonialism as context, it focussed more on the politics between Africans and African Americans and where they a lot see themselves in the world. African Americans are portrayed as the "child left behind" and Killmonger has a very romanticised view that black people are one big world people all in it together. Wakandans, in contrast, don't really seem to give a crap about colour of skin. They see Wakandans as Wakandans. Killmonger to them is just an American and an outsider. I've heard very similar viewpoints from African Americans and Africans in to how they regard eachother in the US.

I'm kind of troubled by a lot of the reviews saying how understandable and justified Killmonger was and how he wasn't really a villain. Though the history he draws his views from is reprehensible, he's pretty clearly meant to be a violent, murdering racist and black supremacist. The film makes no qualms in saying his views on pushing for more racial conflict are wrong. If people can't see that then it's worrying.

Even his entire plan hinged on -
    1) That if he supplied the world black populations with more high tech weapons, they wouldn't just use them to kill more black people
    and
    2) That if he gave the black communities weapons, they'd all join together to rise up and overthrow all the governments etc in their countries.

Both of which are a bit of a reach.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, obviously Killmonger isn't "rational" in his plans, but worrying about the state of black people in America and opening an embassy in Oakland is a big example of what I mean by americanized. The movie is meant to appeal to an American audience, it's meant to illustrate the "oppression" and "systematic racism" of African Americans.

To do so it just ignores the very real, very important problems in their neighboring countries in Africa though. Drought, Famine, War, Pestilence... Wakanda could make some very real changes, what are they going to do in the USA?
    I think this was intentional. I feel it's often left out of the debate so it's easy to assume it's just forgotten about.

Killmonger complains about about African American oppression and the oppression of blacks in other countries. He barely seems to acknowledge or care about the problems of people in Africa. Even more than that, It's pretty clear that during his time with the US military thathe was quite active in Africa and has killed many people and likely added to the hardships in different countries.

Through Wakanda though, there's a romanticised view of what Africa is to a lot of people, ignoring a lot of the issues and strife and continued hostilities in many countries there still.

To Killmonger, they're the lucky ones that are still in Africa and not had all the problems and hardships of those outside of Africa.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2018-02-19 at 04:05 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    vibranium works everywhere. a good chunk of the movie isnt even in wakanda, alot of the early scenes take place in south korea
    So they have flying cars, ghostlands and all the other Wakandan stuff when they're not in Wakanda?

also, outside of north america the only countries with big budget films is england and china and china is still very much growing, theres not really any comparison to america in terms of huge big blockbusters. japan, india, and south korea have a nice local film production but its nowhere on the level of america and england. you'd be hard pressed to find someone internationally whos super into bollywood movies.
    Again though, the point is that you're not telling an African story, you're telling an American story featuring black americans. There could be plenty of movies that better portray the tone of modern Africa, but since they're lower budget they are dismissed and this American movie is hailed. It just seems odd to me. District 9 is the only movie that popped to mind that was South African (with New Zealand and US) made. Even then, South Africa is not all of Africa.

people keep pointing to movies like blade or will smith movies or other movies made or starred in by black people but they dont realize that this movie is on a different level.
    This movie is on a different level, certainly, but probably not in the way you mean. Blade was a risk, financially. Black Panther is not. It's the latest installment in a series of Marvel movies that have done great. It's like Deadpool, both movies have done much better than expected, but neither was some failure waiting to happen.

and wakanda as a whole is pretty unique, almost all media representation of africans is that of primitives or backwards, left behind, even when theyre portrayed positively its usually as the magical black man trope. wakanda is pretty much the only time africans are portrayed as not only powerful and prosperous but intelligent as well, sophisticated, advanced.
    What the hell media are you watching that portrays africans as primitives or left behind? I agree there's not enough African settings, but that's a matter of volume. And from the sound of it, Wakanda is a magic land where magic made everything better for them and lifted them above everyone else, I'm sure the racists will LOVE that idea. The tribal stuff I've seen seems to draw on a wide range of cultures, stuffing them all into Super Magic Land without real considerations for the origin tribes.

It still just seems to be an outsider (American) looking in (to Africa), though now it's a favorable view rather than disparaging. I guess it's advancement, but I don't think it's something to rave about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    African Americans are portrayed as the "child left behind" and Killmonger has a very romanticised view that black people are one big world people all in it together. Wakandans, in contrast, don't really seem to give a crap about colour of skin. They see Wakandans as Wakandans. Killmonger to them is just an American and an outsider. I've heard very similar viewpoints from African Americans and Africans in to how they regard eachother in the US.
    I live in South Florida, so I seen a ton of this between "real black americans" and Haitians.

I think this was intentional. I feel it's often left out of the debate so it's easy to assume it's just forgotten about.
    I haven't seen it yet and I'm sure the stuff I've read has lost plenty nuances and stuff. Like I said, I don't think Killmonger was supposed to have a rational plan, though it'd be fun to see the Zemo haters comparing them...

When I took a trip to Alask, it was interesting speaking to the Tlingit guide. Lots of details about the tribes/ clans/ families, and also a lot about the US assimilation programs. Was just reading an article about a photographer exhibit in Seattle, featuring the original white-guy photo-shopped (not really, but basically) early 1900's stuff and contrasting with actual photo's from the time. Black Panther just seems like that same "Americanized" view of Africa, which is fine in it's way since it's meant to appeal to a Western audience, but not really "authentic" even if it is "pretty".

Again though, the point is that you're not telling an African story, you're telling an American story featuring black americans. There could be plenty of movies that better portray the tone of modern Africa, but since they're lower budget they are dismissed and this American movie is hailed. It just seems odd to me. District 9 is the only movie that popped to mind that was South African (with New Zealand and US) made. Even then, South Africa is not all of Africa.
    What the hell media are you watching that portrays africans as primitives or left behind?
    I think the issue is that most western films that feature Africa are telling stories set during times of conflict, famine or wars etc. You don't get many African romantic comedies as an example. Because of this, the portrayal of Africa shown always tends to be one of war and fighting.

I agree there's not enough African settings, but that's a matter of volume. And from the sound of it, Wakanda is a magic land where magic made everything better for them and lifted them above everyone else, I'm sure the racists will LOVE that idea. The tribal stuff I've seen seems to draw on a wide range of cultures, stuffing them all into Super Magic Land without real considerations for the origin tribes.
    Yeah I've heard positive things from a few Africans about the movie - more about the overall idea of Wakanda as a whole than specifics. In regards to the "culture" of Wakanda, I've seen it best referred to as "Africa Bingo"
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the old Captain Marvel picture people were complaining about, Kevin Feige addressed it.
    https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-costume-leak-feige/

Nearly a month after leaked set photos revealed star Brie Larson in a Captain Marvel costume that wasn’t exactly what fans anticipated, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has addressed the pitfalls of filming in public, and what the images really show.

Speaking with Vulture about the women of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Feige said the studio understands that, “If you want to film out in public — and Captain Marvel has a lot of scenes that will be shot on location — it’s gonna happen,” referring to leaks.

“Most people are savvy enough to know they’re looking at a behind-the-scenes photo, completely out of context,” he continued. “So we don’t do things like rush photos.” He also dropped a hint about what the suit means for the film’s plot.

“We released some concept art of her with different colors,” Feige said. “People online have correctly identified what’s going on there.” That’s likely acknowledgement that Carol Danvers will wear a Kree military uniform before she dons the more familiar red-and-blue costume.

Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck from a screenplay by Nicole Perlman, Meg LeFauve and Geneva Robertson-Dworet, Captain Marvel stars Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Jude Law, DeWanda Wise and Ben Mendelsohn. The film is set to hit theaters on March 6, 2019, from Marvel Studios.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account

Except the movie doesn't ignore those things at all. Lupita nyongos character left t'challa exactly because wakanda wasn't helping, she leaves wakanda and becomes a war dog spy to help women and children in war torn African countries. Killmonger grew up in America so his part of the story focused on america, t'challas plan to help the world means embassies in every country, the one in America is just special because that's where killmonger dad died.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think you don't realize wakanda is made up of multiple tribes, it's not one tribe, and whenever a king ascends they're all given their chance to challenge him with the only tribe doing so being m'bakus. The Mish mash is intentional because that's what wakanda is, a Mish mash of tribes who United to form one land. Each tribe has a different inspiration, look, and leader and they form wakandas council, with m'bakus tribe being the most isolated, mostly just being tolerated by the rest of wakanda and living high in the snow mountains where the other tribes don't interact with them. T'challa is the first king in decades to aknowlege them
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552