Poll: Can you swim.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Can you swim?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Can you swim?

Simple as that can you swim?

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Yes

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean? My Pool or Ocean

Do you know CPR? Yep!

Tidbits:
    How big is the problem?
    Unintentional Drowning

From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day.1 An additional 332 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2

About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.1 For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.1

More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries).1,2 These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state).3,4
    https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreatio...factsheet.html
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Yes.

Yes.

Ocean or private swimming pool, because public swimming pools are disgusting.

Vaguely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yes.

Yes.

Ocean or private swimming pool, because public swimming pools are disgusting.

Vaguely.
    So no lifeguard duties for you LOL!

I can swim, pretty decently and do enjoy swimming and feel comfortable in water where I cannot touch or see bottom.

I prefer deep pools or freshwater ponds (FUCK the ocean!).

I guess I'd say no to knowing CPR, but I do think if I were the only option, Id be able to muddle through from what Iv seen and read.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

No.

I want to learn someday though I had bad experiences in the past with deep water and so I'd need someone sympathetic and patient to help me out.

Apparently I'm not capable of swimming. I started lessons when I was 6 months old (as everyone did where I grew up) and had swimming lessons continuously until they stopped when I was 17.

I used to love the water, jumping into the pool and running around on the bottom - but by the time I was 17 the negative feedback from failing at learning to swim made be loathe it - and I've hated it ever since.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I've never really understood how some people don't know how to swim. Unless you are physically impaired, or an infant, it's a concept simple enough for dogs to grasp.

yes can swim
    used to like swimming not so much anymore
    was either in a public pool or a river in the summer
    got a good knowlege of first aid and cpr and i think everyone should have a chance to learn it in schools

7+ Year Old Account
    Simple as that can you swim? Yes

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Yes, I love being in the water.

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean? I enjoy swimming just about anywhere: pool, lake, river, and the ocean if its calm(not a fan of swimming in choppy water)

Do you know CPR? I've known CPR since I was 14 or 15, so for about 35 years now. I've missed re-certifying for a year or two here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    No.

I want to learn someday though I had bad experiences in the past with deep water and so I'd need someone sympathetic and patient to help me out.
    Sorry to hear that Graeham and yeah my experience was being tossed into the deep end of the pool, I learned but I wouldn't recommend that method.

Simple as that can you swim? Very well, which is very ironic considering the next question is....

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Fuck no.

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean? N/A as I fucking hate to swim.

Do you know CPR? Yes. I even used to teach it. To Marines no less.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Simple as that can you swim? Yes

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Yes, I love being in the water.

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean? I enjoy swimming just about anywhere: pool, lake, river, and the ocean if its calm(not a fan of swimming in choppy water)

Do you know CPR? I've known CPR since I was 14 or 15, so for about 35 years now. I've missed re-certifying for a year or two here and there.
    Hahaha you have to learn on that little doll Annie?

That damn thing freaked me out!

Damn thing gives you nightmares haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    No.

Can you walk? Do your arms move? Then you can swim. As a human, you float... breath in, you float even better. Propel yourself with your arms or legs as you breath out. Congrats, you can swim.

I learned to swim in a few minutes at around 3, its honestly possibly the easiest thing on the planet that people claim they can't do... you just paddle your arms or push off against the water with you legs, doesn't have to be some super fluid fast swim like the pros do, but I can't even imagine drowning in calm waters.

I love to swim and go to the beach, honestly its my preferred outside activity.

Yes

No. Besides, have to use a silicon plug on my right ear, but that doesn't completely prevent water getting in and i get massive dizziness and discomfort. (https://loneswimmer.files.wordpress....lugs-range.jpg , like this if you're curious - left ones are new ones, right side after use)

Swimming pools

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I've never really understood how some people don't know how to swim. Unless you are physically impaired, or an infant, it's a concept simple enough for dogs to grasp.
    You do realize there are huge amounts of world population that live far away from any body of water, or any form of swimming pool, etc? Yea, just dismiss all of that, fuck it. Dumb people, pff. /s
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2018-02-19 at 01:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Simple as that can you swim? Very well, which is very ironic considering the next question is....

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Fuck no.

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean? N/A as I fucking hate to swim.

Do you know CPR? Yes. I even used to teach it. To Marines no less.
    Hahaha Marines, did everybody pass?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Lack of access to a pool can be one barrier if you click on the link for the statistics there actually gives you a break down on the barriers and why people drown.

Yes, I can swim and I like it. My parent's have a pool so I can just go over to their house if I want to swim. Lakes are ok. Public pool is no. Ocean is also no, I don't like salt water.

I learned CPR but it has been quite a few years and I have never used it. So I wouldn't count on me for that.

Yes

Yes

Pool, lake, and ocean

I'm certified to instruct on Red Cross CPR/FA Was a lifeguard for several years during college

I can swim, and used to do it almost daily. Haven't been swimming in a few years though.

I used to find it really fun, and I'm sure I'd still enjoy it.

I've never swam in the ocean, but all the others were fine.

Never learned CPR though.

Yeah, I've been able to swim since before I can remember. I think my father was one of those "Throw him in the pool and see if he sinks" types when I was a baby.

I love swimming, I do it when ever I can.
    Anywhere but the ocean.
    Yes, but my cert has "expired".
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes

Also yes I love it best way to exercise in my opinion.

With oceans it depends and swimming pools aint really that bad when kept properly.

Learned CPR years ago forgot most thing really.