Poll: Can you swim.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Can you swim?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Yeah, I've been able to swim since before I can remember. I think my father was one of those "Throw him in the pool and see if he sinks" types when I was a baby.

I love swimming, I do it when ever I can.
    Anywhere but the ocean.
    Yes, but my cert has "expired".
    I learned the same way my brother hahahaha cruel cruel world LOL. Why not the ocean just curious?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Simple as that can you swim?

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Yes

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean? My Pool or Ocean

Do you know CPR? Yep!

Tidbits:

https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreatio...factsheet.html
    Yes I do swim.

Sure I like swimming I suppose. I surf and was qualified to be a swim instructor in the military.

Ocean mainly.

Yes I know CPR.

Yes, been in the pool either with a parent, or by myself since before i can remember since my grandparents had one. i have always loved swimming, or even just floating on hot summer days. It's also an amazing way to finish off my day after I get off work in the summer (I work the yard/warehouse for a company, which involves being on my feet and lifting heavy shit.) so being able to leave there and just go chill in a the pool is amazing. I don't know cpr though I've always intended to learn.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha you have to learn on that little doll Annie?

That damn thing freaked me out!

Damn thing gives you nightmares haha!
    Hahahaha, yeah that thing is a bit freaky. For, roughly, the last 15-20 years my certifications were done with a dummy doll.

Hahaha Marines, did everybody pass?

- - - Updated - - -

Lack of access to a pool can be one barrier if you click on the link for the statistics there actually gives you a break down on the barriers and why people drown.
    Yes they did. They took it quite serious actually- it was for our first trip to the sandbox.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Hahahaha, yeah that thing is a bit freaky. For, roughly, the last 15-20 years my certifications were done with a dummy doll.
    Hahaha I still remember that smell, you know because everybody had to put their lips on it, they obviously wiped it down each time and it gave it this kind smell of death like thing HAHA!

Nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Can you walk? Do your arms move? Then you can swim.
    Not always... life is frequently more complex. I was never capable of swimming.

I was however capable of running around on the bottom of the swimming pool

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can not swim like a fish. But I can enough to save myself from drowning. As long as I do not have to swim too far.

Deleted
    Simple as that can you swim? yes

More important as a follow up do you like to swim? Yes

If you enjoy swimming do you like swimming in a pool, the lake or the ocean. pool

Do you know CPR? yes

its like this right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I can not swim like a fish. But I can enough to save myself from drowning. As long as I do not have to swim too far.
    Sounds more like you float GP hehe! Yeah I probably should have added one for proficiency, keep in mind there are plenty of reason you can swim and you won't say like an under current. However in general if you know how to swim you are going to always float vs the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds more like you float GP hehe! Yeah I probably should have added one for proficiency, keep in mind there are plenty of reason you can swim and you won't say like an under current. However in general if you know how to swim you are going to always float vs the other way around.
    Well, I have to keep moving. Tried to float a few times and sank like a rock. :P I mean I can stay stationary for a while by dog paddling. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I probably couldn't be a lifeguard without 6+ months of working on the requisite skills, but I'm pretty comfortable with my swimming abilities. I prefer private pools having grown up swimming in friends' backyards.
    You'd be surprised. A lot of lifeguarding instructors are awful and allow people to pass who barely swim. When I first started helping with courses, the instructor would ask for feedback on each student. I said "She can't swim, she can't make it to the bottom of the pool to retrieve the brick. She has to be told to go home today". That student came back the next day and received her card after the class like everyone else despite not performing half of the skills properly.

Yes, I love both casual swimming and to exercise. Its one of the best ways to keep your body in shape. Also a huge fan of large water parks.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just need to learn how to tread water better or only swim in water with high salinity.
    Thanks for the tip. But I could just be a ground lover. Which I am. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Can you walk? Do your arms move? Then you can swim. As a human, you float... breath in, you float even better. Propel yourself with your arms or legs as you breath out. Congrats, you can swim.

I learned to swim in a few minutes at around 3, its honestly possibly the easiest thing on the planet that people claim they can't do... you just paddle your arms or push off against the water with you legs, doesn't have to be some super fluid fast swim like the pros do, but I can't even imagine drowning in calm waters.

I love to swim and go to the beach, honestly its my preferred outside activity.
    That's false. Almost all of that is false lol. Many humans don't float at all (muscle sinks straight to the bottom, even with held breath and relaxed muscles). Many movements actually hinder swimming, so if someone doesn't know how to swim, they may reduce their chances of survival by moving. As a lifeguard the biggest issue we had was with people who would try to swim when they were starting to get into trouble. Just because you can do it and you think it's incredibly easy doesn't mean it is lol. I learned when I was a small child as well and have never struggled with it, but swimming is not as you claim it is.

swim? yes

like to? it's ok

where? pool

cpr? i can breath into your mouth, keep a beat, and punch you in the sternum sooo sure
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear with what I meant. I'm sure I could get a job doing that crap. I wouldn't feel competent without doing training, either solo or with a professional, before hand. Saving a full grown adult can be incredibly strenuous.
    Definitely. I was trained by a pretty cutthroat instructor, so I felt pretty comfortable. I also worked under someone who valued on the clock trainings very frequently. So we were constantly getting better, most of us competed in summer lifeguard competitions at beaches after our first year working. You learn faster than you think, the rest comes down to conditioning and confidence.

Deleted
    No, I can't swim.

Yes, yes, pretty much everywhere water is, and certified First Aid with CPR including defib.