Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    No, they absolutely were allowed to review it and redact if necessary. The FBI, that is.
    Issued two days before the memo was released;

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...-on-hpsci-memo

"With regard to the House Intelligence Committee’s memorandum, the FBI was provided a limited opportunity to review this memo the day before the committee voted to release it. As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy."

You're wrong on this. They got to look at it, briefly, but not to redact, and their complaints from that review were ignored.

Straight from the FBI themselves, so no complaints about bias in source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Issued two days before the memo was released;

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...-on-hpsci-memo

"With regard to the House Intelligence Committee’s memorandum, the FBI was provided a limited opportunity to review this memo the day before the committee voted to release it. As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy."

You're wrong on this. They got to look at it, briefly, but not to redact, and their complaints from that review were ignored.

Straight from the FBI themselves, so no complaints about bias in source material.
    Well we can clearly see that redactions weren't necessary at all, can't we? In spite of the "grave national security threats" we were all told about.

I would offer that if redaction was necessary during this "limited" review, they would have been performed.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2018-02-19 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we can clearly see that redactions weren't necessary at all, cant we? In spite of the "grave national security threats" we were all told about.
    Not particularly, no. The memo contains previously-classified material. The FBI were not given a chance to redact any of that; Trump declassified it over their complaints. That it also left out necessary context to effectively lie to the people is a separate and largely unrelated issue, even if it's arguably a bigger problem than the classified material.

As for the "grave national security threat", which you put in quotation marks as if it's a quote, I don't actually know what your source for that is. Though misleading the public is arguably such.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-02-19 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not particularly, no. The memo contains previously-classified material. The FBI were not given a chance to redact any of that; Trump declassified it over their complaints. That it also left out necessary context to effectively lie to the people is a separate and largely unrelated issue, even if it's arguably a bigger problem than the classified material.
    It's a morass, especially with the Dem rebuttal purportedly containing large amounts of actual security concern information. I believe that the Nunes memo, when bolstered by Grassley and Graham, was essentially truthful, was essentially the first look into how the Obama DOJ dropped the ball.

As for the "grave national security threat", which you put in quotation marks as if it's a quote, I don't actually know what your source for that is. Though misleading the public is arguably such.
    I'm paraphrasing the sentiment, that may not be a direct quote.

It's a morass, especially with the Dem rebuttal purportedly containing large amounts of actual security concern information. I believe that the Nunes memo, when bolstered by Grassley and Graham, was essentially truthful, was essentially the first look into how the Obama DOJ dropped the ball.

I'm paraphrasing the sentiment, that may not be a direct quote.
    You're using the word bolstered pretty loosely. Almost...entirely incorrectly. Weird.

You have nothing but your own intuition to support such a sentiment. An intuition which has served you extremely poorly on this subject, at least to the extent you've displayed it on this board.

@Endus, clear out your inbox for God sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Well we can clearly see that redactions weren't necessary at all, can't we? In spite of the "grave national security threats" we were all told about.

I would offer that if redaction was necessary during this "limited" review, they would have been performed.
    I have no idea why you would make that assumption, since the FBI was extremely against it being released. You are also forgetting that the democratic memo, unlike the republican one, received a bipartisan vote to have it released. The version Trump got had already been approved by the republican controlled committee. The very same committee that has been running cover for Trump's attempt to discredit the FBI for months now. For your little conspiracy theory to be true, you have to acknowledge that the Republican members of the house intelligence committee were complicit in a democratic attempt to frame Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I have no idea why you would make that assumption, since the FBI was extremely against it being released. You are also forgetting that the democratic memo, unlike the republican one, received a bipartisan vote to have it released. The version Trump got had already been approved by the republican controlled committee. The very same committee that has been running cover for Trump's attempt to discredit the FBI for months now. For your little conspiracy theory to be true, you have to acknowledge that the Republican members of the house intelligence committee were complicit in a democratic attempt to frame Trump.
    Or, that Nunes and company knew that Trump wouldn't approve its release, and this was all just political theater orchestrated by Nunes in the first place.

Oh man, I think @Dacien just inadvertently cracked the case of the underwhelming memo!

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Or, that Nunes and company knew that Trump wouldn't approve its release, and this was all just political theater orchestrated by Nunes in the first place.

Oh man, I think @Dacien just inadvertently cracked the case of the underwhelming memo!
    Well if they knew that then they deliberately left the President to take the fall for it himself. Which means they went along with the democratic plan to discredit him, which seems unlikely considering how far they went to discredit him.

It is far more likely the democratic memo is just as empty and meaningless as the republican one, and Trump just can't bear to let it go out because it says mean things about him.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Endus, clear out your inbox for God sake.
    This is the moment Endus realized that regular users have a cap on private messages.

I was a teensy bit over the 1000 message cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Well if they knew that then they deliberately left the President to take the fall for it himself. Which means they went along with the democratic plan to discredit him, which seems unlikely considering how far they went to discredit him.

It is far more likely the democratic memo is just as empty and meaningless as the republican one, and Trump just can't bear to let it go out because it says mean things about him.
    There's no fall to take. His only concern is maintaining his base. The Republicans on the committee weren't going to criticize him.

If that is the bullshit excuse you can come up with from what Endus said, you are pretty sad. They wanted redactions or an outright stoppage of the memo and didn't get either.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    If that is the bullshit excuse you can come up with from what Endus said, you are pretty sad. They wanted redactions or an outright stoppage of the memo and didn't get either.
    They got their redactions (removal of sources and methods); their remaining objections were over what memo excluded, not what it had.

Meanwhile Schiff is complaining about "heavy handed redactions by FBI" of Democrat version.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    They got their redactions (removal of sources and methods); their remaining objections were over what memo excluded, not what it had.

Meanwhile Schiff is complaining about "heavy handed redactions by FBI" of Democrat version.
    Really? They got their redactions? Because I can't find anywhere where they got any redactions, because the President said they were going to release it without redactions. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...edactions.html

Original post at 12:22 p.m.: As had been widely expected, President Donald Trump approved the release Friday of the controversial Republican memo that claims wrongdoing by top FBI officials in their surveillance of the Trump campaign for president. The memo was declassified without any redactions, laying the groundwork for the House Intelligence Committee to release the document, a move that is expected later on Friday.
    Do you have a source for your claim? Because I have backed up mine.

And the Democrat one, while it has had some things that the FBI wanted to redact, the President didn't decline it because of that. He declined it because it hurt his, Nunes', and your fellow employed comrade bots' rhetoric. The FBI wants it out there because it completely destroys Nunes' position. Which really isn't hard with this big of a flop.