Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    No you're being piloried because you're being an insufferable t pedantic twat. Stop playing the victim child. You're quite literally being mirror image of the very thing you claim to hate. Do you not know what irony is or do you just not care?
    Do you know what an ignorant hypocrite is or do you just not care?

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I don't know, I'm pretty traditional/conservative and I have no problem with discussing how Black Panther can be seen as an important/milestone movie for the black community in the US. I loved the whole cast, in particular Danai Gurira (I've liked her since Walking Dead) and T'Challa's relationship with his sister Shuri. And while i didn't agree with Killmonger's goal, I could certainly understand how he ended up where he did psychologically.

A movie with a black cast, and with a plot centered on Africa, doesn't make me feel threatened at all as a white guy from the Balkans. Why would it? Even if you do remove the deeper issues of discussion in the film, you're still left with a pretty entertaining movie.
    Ultimately it's the quality of the product that determines how effective its message will be, lots of films have attempted social commentary and people couldn't forget them quickly enough, even if they agreed with its ideas, just because of how bad they were. I think what really threatens people about Black Panther is that it's not just another shitty low budget exploitation film with a nonsensical story and cringeworthy acting, but that it is by all accounts a great movie which means that its black empowerment overtones are going to stick, and influence future films made in the genre. It's sort of like how all feminists now try to pretend that Ghostbusters never happened but will hold up Wonder Woman as the gold standard of how to do female characters right.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Never underestimate how profoundly stupid some people are.
    Yeah. The profoundly stupid people who don't realize that sarcasm cannot be transmitted through text and think they have some kind of high ground when they tell a person who was taking them seriously that they were just joking as if it wasn't their own fault that their meaning wasn't properly translated.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so I watched the movie and here is my unwanted opinion on the movie and it's meaning. Also even though I don't want to, full cards on the table, I'm black. Anyway.

"Is the movie political "
    Yes and no. Wakanda itself is not the main point of politics but the villain, killmonger is. Wakanda and t'chala were mostly getting ready for the official crowning of t'challa when the equivalent of what I assume is the CIA tells him that they located his dad's killer and that this might be thier only chance to get him. So not political for the first 30-1hr in.

Killmonger is who truly opens up the political side. And quite frankly I can kinda understand his plan but also t'challa has the...more realistic and better idea. Won't spoil but it pretty much comes down to these.
    •should wakanda fully reveal its true self.
    •if they do how, diplomacy like t'chaka or by military might.
    • hiding your crimes can come back to haunt you or your loved ones.

Also to those talking about resources, you guys do realize if you replace vibranium with diamonds or gold you could technically make the same story >.>. But outside of the villain the political debate isn't really that big. Wakanda isn't really xenophobic, but they do hide thier real selves and for good reason, like most countries do. And the debate is if they should fully share their technology,not vibranium but the technology that they have, which before the credits is the funniest scene to me when they return to the UN.

But the movie to me is in the top 5 of marvel movies. My only gripe honestly isn't Disney fault but hopefully it will be fixed by the sequel now that fox finally let the x-men go.

Oh and before I forget, the only other possible racist comment is what shuri calls the agent brought to the capital "coliniza" kinda laughed at that bit. But she is not racist it's more about not letting non-wakandaians into the capital.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Ultimately it's the quality of the product that determines how effective its message will be, lots of films have attempted social commentary and people couldn't forget them quickly enough, even if they agreed with its ideas, just because of how bad they were. I think what really threatens people about Black Panther is that it's not just another shitty low budget exploitation film with a nonsensical story and cringeworthy acting, but that it is by all accounts a great movie which means that its black empowerment overtones are going to stick, and influence future films made in the genre. It's sort of like how all feminists now try to pretend that Ghostbusters never happened but will hold up Wonder Woman as the gold standard of how to do female characters right.
    ....huh this might actually be true.
    Last edited by Shadowspire; 2018-02-19 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I agree, and on that note, I wasn't interested in the Ghostbusters remake, but I liked Wonder Woman a lot.

And also, why does empowerment threaten some folks? I want everyone to feel empowered by their heritage and identity. I think every region and culture has good things, and triumphs to be proud of. I want to see African superheroes. Asian superheroes. I'd love to see a serious treatment of Ragman's story from DC and how it ties in to Judaism.

Black Panther and any black empowerment that come from the movie's success doesn't threaten me. I'm all for anything that can inspire or help folks improve their lives. Hell, it just makes me wish Marvel could work on adding Hercules to the MCU. A Greek superhero would be fun to see with Disney/Marvel's resources.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Pretty sure you need to be an American citizen, which T'challa is not, to be African American. Since he has both the ethnicity and the nationality calling him just plain African is correct.

Also in case you're unaware there's an animal called a black panther that T'challa styled his superhero identity Black Panther after. Or someone did. I think it's a legacy character handed down.

Nice job throwing around undeserved racist cards, btw. You got me to respond.

Only took 8 pages for some one not to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Besides, at the end of the movie, in the mid-credit scene:
    T'Challa opens up Wakanda to the world. Deciding that isolationism has no more benefit to his country and believing that Wakanda should work to share its technology with the rest of the world
    That's not his reasoning. And he never mentions letting people in. Just that he'll aid other countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    That's not his reasoning. And he never mentions letting people in. Just that he'll aid other countries.
    Also, the joke there is Comic T'challa has never done that, because doing so would flood his country with African Immigrants who are all extremely poor, effectively destroying Wakanda.

Funny how that works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Also, the joke there is Comic T'challa has never done that, because doing so would flood his country with African Immigrants who are all extremely poor, effectively destroying Wakanda.

Funny how that works.
    First off, stop trying to equate wakanda exclusion with whatever immigration hate you have.

Thier fear isn't the poor, it's actually the fucking opposite. Someone powerful and with resources to take thier vibranium, you know, the source of the country's power and wellbeing. Some poor fuck isn't going to bother them.

Deleted
    Really enjoyed the movie. Its defo better then "Luke Cage" and "Black Lightning" and their stupid American Stereo types. Really turned 2 really great tv shows into a pile of shit really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Really enjoyed the movie. Its defo better then "Luke Cage" and "Black Lightning" and their stupid American Stereo types. Really turned 2 really great tv shows into a pile of shit really quickly.
    But both of those have their setting as the United States in the comics, Black Panther is set in Africa. Of course Luke Cage and Black Lightning will more directly tie in with black American culture.

If they didn't make them Americans that would be the bigger deviation from the comics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    But both of those have their setting as the United States in the comics, Black Panther is set in Africa. Of course Luke Cage and Black Lightning will more directly tie in with black American culture.

If they didn't make them Americans that would be the bigger deviation from the comics.
    Doesn't mean you have to create 2 stereo types. Its a comic / TV show. It could have been anything.

We have so many white super heroes that are actually interesting. We have a playboy billionaire who tries to be a better man then he used to be after almost dying. We have a scientist that turns into a bit green wrecking ball. A American Soldier that got frozen in time. A double spy etc etc etc. A few norse gods & fucking hawkeye.

On the other hand we have 2 out of 3 black super heroes being big black dudes retaking the streets from some gang. Fighting for the black folk of the US. Really not interesting or creative. The 3rd one being the black panther which I really enjoyed watching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Suppose that happens when you colonise a country enough, Scotland wasnt massively up for independence until the question was raised and it managed to get an almost 50/50 split, if there was a colder winter it would have probably passed.

Theres plenty of chance for an independent Wales should the right political education occur, and the right campaigns take place. Im just glad they seem to want to hold onto their language/culture etc.
    Wales and Scotland are completely different. If Scotland didn't want independence it's ridiculous to think Wales would.

10+ Year Old Account

On the other hand we have 2 out of 3 black super heroes being big black dudes retaking the streets from some gang. Fighting for the black folk of the US. Really not interesting or creative. The 3rd one being the black panther which I really enjoyed watching.
    Eh...I don't watch Black Lightning because I don't like the station its on but all Luke Cage, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones are all about the local hero helping their community.

Daredevil mostly helps poor (Irish) white people because thats where he lives. Luke Cage mostly helps poor black people, because thats where he lives. Jessica Jones lives in the slightly more diverse neighborhood, but same formula. Iron Fist doesn't exist. They are very believable people within their environments, not stereotypes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I found Luke Cage to be a lot more entertaining than I thought, it's definitely less gritty and more stylized than it appears at first glance and they tried their best to depict the culture authentically. It helps that Harlem itself has a unique flair to it and seems like a place out of a comic book rather than just your typical cesspool of urban deprivation. The show has a totally different flavor compared to watching something like the Wire, for example.

10+ Year Old Account

ralph's awesome, and he makes clear points after seeing the film, he doesn't sugar coat things, but does throw in some humor when needed.

The movie is average, kinda boring in places, the main lead isn't anyone exciting, the villian was okay, the special effects range from decent to utter crap. The plot is formulaic and predictable, and takes no chances.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

ralph's awesome, and he makes clear points after seeing the film, he doesn't sugar coat things, but does throw in some humor when needed.

The movie is average, kinda boring in places, the main lead isn't anyone exciting, the villian was okay, the special effects range from decent to utter crap. The plot is formulaic and predictable, and takes no chances.
    The rhino cgi was abysmal

- - - Updated - - -

As I said I found the film overrated. It wasn't terrible but not the most interesting Marvel film imo. I enjoyed the acting and some of the action scenes but unlike other Marvel films it didn't make me eager to watch again. Plot was rather predictable and at times it felt to be taking itself too serious but as I say not terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    If you look at practically every promotional interview, actor interview, studio interview, early review or puff piece it is hammered front and centre that this movie is a ground breaking black film with an all black cast. A lot of the leftist tweets extolling the virtues of this movie were extremely racist. In fact I don't think I've seen one article about Black Panther where the colour of the cast isn't mentioned. If you could point me to one I'd be grateful.
    Imagine how silly you'd feel if you watched the film and realised it got good reviews because it was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Imagine how silly you'd feel if you watched the film and realised it got good reviews because it was good.
    As I've said multiple times already, the quality of the movie is irrelevant. I'm not in any way, shape or form criticising the movie as I haven't even seen it. My gripe or complaint is the way Disney and the left played the race card to promote this film.

Look at this thread, I am being called racist for no other reason than being negative and none of you even understand what I'm being negative about. You are all being played by Disney and you don't even realise it. The first three critics to write somewhat minor negative reviews about the film were hammered on Twitter by the left who called them all racist. Do you think that is okay? Is it fair to call critics racist if they criticise the film in any way?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    As I've said multiple times already, the quality of the movie is irrelevant. I'm not in any way, shape or form criticising the movie as I haven't even seen it. My gripe or complaint is the way Disney and the left played the race card to promote this film.

Look at this thread, I am being called racist for no other reason than being negative and none of you even understand what I'm being negative about. You are all being played by Disney and you don't even realise it. The first three critics to write somewhat minor negative reviews about the film were hammered on Twitter by the left who called them all racist. Do you think that is okay? Is it fair to call critics racist if they criticise the film in any way?
    No offence but why care if you're called racist online? It returns to the "just ignore" those that make silly claims.