Thread: Gold Inflation

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I may be the only one, but one of the most egregious time sinks are upgrading heirlooms. That really riles me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    I feel the Blizzard Balance and tokens are already a pretty decent gold sinks.
    Tokens are not a gold sink in any fashion. Tokens just redistribute gold between players. There isn´t even a cut on it like on the normal items on the auction house.
    When you buy a token your gold goes to the player that bought the token for real money. No gold is sinking here.

Gold sink means gold vanishes from the economy of the game. Like the ah cut or the spider mount. Those are gold sinks because that gold is gone.

The general problem is that aquiring gold is much too easy and even nearly free as you can get blood for the order hall resources with missions where you get more resources from that mission as you put into it. So it is a perpetuum mobile in a sense. Which brings the mission table to the same easy gold making machine like the mission table in the garrison was. One step would be to make the blood missions get you less oh ressources then you can get with the blood. But that would only mean you would have to do some more OHR or blood WQ more.

In the end making gold without going in the world and play your char is just bad design. In my eyes at least. It doesn´t feel like earning rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    there isn't people are doing what they did in garrisons in class halls, 10-20 alts, run them all through argus, gear up with 30/50/x gear on followers, usually get 2 1k+1750g gold missions per day, so 5500*10 toons = 55k a day, 1 mill in under 20 days.

blizzard failed completely at stopping this lol.
    blizzard didnt fail - its done on purpose so tokens keep selling .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    Tokens are not a gold sink in any fashion. Tokens just redistribute gold between players. There isn´t even a cut on it like on the normal items on the auction house.
    When you buy a token your gold goes to the player that bought the token for real money. No gold is sinking here.

Gold sink means gold vanishes from the economy of the game. Like the ah cut or the spider mount. Those are gold sinks because that gold is gone.

The general problem is that aquiring gold is much too easy and even nearly free as you can get blood for the order hall resources with missions where you get more resources from that mission as you put into it. So it is a perpetuum mobile in a sense. Which brings the mission table to the same easy gold making machine like the mission table in the garrison was. One step would be to make the blood missions get you less oh ressources then you can get with the blood. But that would only mean you would have to do some more OHR or blood WQ more.

In the end making gold without going in the world and play your char is just bad design. In my eyes at least. It doesn´t feel like earning rewards.
    the thing is they tried to do real gold sinks this expansion and people rebelled against it. - why do you think they tried limiting consumables so much so their prices skyrocketed ? it was meant as gold sink but they pussied out when raiders started to cry about it.

there never will be real gold sinks since people dont want to feel poor ever again .

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I feel the Blizzard Balance and tokens are already a pretty decent gold sinks.
    I don't quite understand what the problem is though?
    But they aren't, cause it only moves the gold to another player, it doesn't take gold out of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    the thing is they tried to do real gold sinks this expansion and people rebelled against it. - why do you think they tried limiting consumables so much so their prices skyrocketed ? it was meant as gold sink but they pussied out when raiders started to cry about it.
    And even so, Regular Auction house isn't a super gold sink either, the fee is just too low for that. On top of that, the AH on high pop servers functions worse then ever.

If blizz really wanted to make prices on consumables skyrocket they'd put in a "Black Lotus" type reagent for BfA flasks, only 1 up at a time like the old days. (1 per zone for 4 zones, 1 hour spawn rate). That'd be worse then vanilla with all the flying/CRZ.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-02-19 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    this is insane though nobody is really doing this?
    not really - as long as you started to push class halls on launch its not really that time consuming - yes starting now would be harder - i have just 12 alts because i cba to do more and at this point i dont een have to farm order resources anymore - 12 bloods quest supply resources for gold mission - only doin them atm - netting me 20- 40k gold a day

plus im sending mission while in work so no free time invested into it.

wish i started 12 alts on allience side too but atm cba to deal with pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    It takes a lot of time and effort for the setup
    Wut? Garrison took a lot of time and effort to set up, OH doesn't.

It takes ~1 week to set up OH, 8th talent isn't important in this case, there's ilvl catch-up for slaves, equipment might be a PITA, but you'll figure it out eventually, it's still times easier to manage it than 25 WoD slaves.

After one week it's good enough to start earning you gold, it gets better over time.

- - - Updated - - -

Tokens are perfect gold sinks - Blizzard wants to encourage people to use them, because they are more profitable than normal subs - so Blizzard wants to encourage people to buy tokens. Therefore gold distribution is necessary.

For you personally, buying gametime with gold is a decent way to "gold sink" your extra gold.
    Gold sinks remove gold from the game, token redistributes it. Token is not a gold sink.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-02-19 at 10:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ease at which gold is acquired now is down to 2 reasons. The first is to trump the gold farmers that act as resellers. There'll be much less instances of account hacking now that much fewer folks use 3rd party gold suppliers in violation of the EULA. The second is that by way of the WoW token, and the ingame gold that changes hands, Blizz have another revenue string tied to the WoW subscriber base. In terms of a viable gold sink for the folks who currently have millions of gold, cosmetics really are the way to go. Day to day items should remain as they currently are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm working on setting up my 13th and 14th now that we've gotten more slots.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Deleted
    Every long time player is swimming in it.

I made a ton of gold back in BC with skinning.
    I remember making 200K a WEEK with JC alone in the first year of Wrath.
    In cataclysm I just farmed herbs and sold the mofo's for large amounts. I would buy the cheaper ones of the AH and repost them.

After that I stopped caring about gold, but it was still easy to make a lot of money in Legion with Herbs alone too.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    After that I stopped caring about gold, but it was still easy to make a lot of money in Legion with Herbs alone too.
    Same here, but unless they fix the AH on high pop realms, it's gonna be a huge pain to do in the future.

Takes too long to post stuff now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Same here, but unless they fix the AH on high pop realms, it's gonna be a huge pain to do in the future.
    But what do you really need a lot of gold for anymore?

I am really curious.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Of cause people are doing this. I do this. I do exactly what he said. I have 12 characters that are in position to do nothing but this. I only really play 1 (play as in doing raids and dungeons, I do wq:s with 1-2 more characters due to the need to generate resources for the others. the others are just leveled and then just live in their class halls next to the mission board unless they go outside to visit a mail box or something). I don't even do this religiously or anything, I only check on them once per day and send them away so I'm not even super efficient about it. If you wanted to do that you would equip all toons to reduce missions times and then login 3-4 times per day but I can't be arsed with that nor do I have the time. That said they generate about 350k gold per week by doing this, or if you like about 1.2M gold per month together (that sum is after expenses for the played characters -- repairs, consumables and such -- yes I made spreadsheets to see how much they made and it has been fairly constant since Argus).

Did it take a lot of time and resources to setup? Not really. Level to 110, I played maybe one or two characters normally by questing. The others just leveled mostly by doing invasions. So it wasn't time efficient. Then they sat around their class halls doing missions for a long time. Then when Argus came they all did that, took an hour or two per characters when I had the time over. Then there was mission running to get the stuff in order. Then back to being mission gold generators.

The sink or limiting factor is that you need to "play" some characters to generate enough bloods that you can turn into resources to send to all the toons that you don't play but only run missions with. This is the real limiting factor, that did not exists in Warlords since then you got that never ending box of resources that you just had to empty every other day or so, there was an upfront cost of putting all the buildings up and such but that paid for itself fairly quickly. So you need to play a character or two to cover the others in resources. I'm covered now with 2-3 characters generating for 12, I could possibly do another one or two but after that there would be resources starvation or I would have to start to play another character.
    Last edited by looorg; 2018-02-19 at 11:00 AM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    But what do you really need a lot of gold for anymore?

I am really curious.
    Character services, need at least 600-900k to do anything but a name change.

The only time I used it was moving 9 characters to another realm during a sale, which was 1.3 mill gold back then.

Right now that'd cost me 5.4 million to do again, because token prices went up and service costs as well.

I like high pop realm, but the Auction house being so broken isn't acceptable.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-02-19 at 11:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    There's no fix at this point. There's too much gold on people's accounts. The only real fix would be a full gold reset while also reducing gold rewards from a lot of quests in the game. But too many people would QQ. This is a big reason I'm looking forward to classic servers.
    Excited too. But I feel like people are just too aware of how to make money in vanilla now. I expect to see most endgame mats getting monopolized.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    There's no fix at this point. There's too much gold on people's accounts. The only real fix would be a full gold reset while also reducing gold rewards from a lot of quests in the game. But too many people would QQ. This is a big reason I'm looking forward to classic servers.
    It might shock you that there were super rich people in classic also. People had several thousands up to tens of thousands of gold. Yes, that was a ton of gold in classic, comparable to the 10M+ some people have today. Also look forward to people knowing exactly how to make gold now and they will be rich rather fast.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Mounts that cost so much aren't a goldsink, it's a one time purchase, it's a gimmick that doesn't remove that much gold from the economy anyway.

That's the thing, gold sinks are forced on people, 5% AH cut is forced on everyone, repair costs are forced on everyone. In the past there's talent swap cost, Blizz even tried to re-add it, but they caved in and kept it away from the game. We need more gold sinks. But no mission table stuff that spews out gold like crazy, but we're getting one in BfA as well, so it's not gonna happen >_>

And having another b.net acc isn't limiting your that much, being able to trade gold between two chars is the most important thing in this case and there's no restrictions.
    But if blizz boost the cost flatly for everyone they cannot avoid impacting people who don’t have an huge amount of gold.

That is the biggest challenge impacting only the rich and not the normal people, for that a sort of filtering is needed, how you do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    The current gold sinks are kind of pointless tho if I don't want to use them. I don't care about fancy mounts or pets or companions so they can design as many of them as they like. I still won't sink any gold into them. As noted previously here by others tokens are not gold sinks but gold redistributors -- one can assume later that the people that get the gold sink it into something since it would be utterly stupid to just sell tokens to accumulate gold but there might be people like that around. I don't really know what they would design that I would actually buy. Gaining gold has just turned into this weird little metagame, is a value that grows just like achivementpoints and bigger is better but after a while it's utterly pointless.

Give them headroom for what? What would a squish accomplish? Beyond technical issues. The only thing would be that the numbers would be smaller. So instead of having 1000g you have 100g, or whatever the level of the squish is. Prices would have to be adjusted. So you are not really doing anything from a gold vs price (items, repairs etc). If they do it they should do it for technical reasons, even tho they probably don't have to since after all it's not like with hitpoints and damage. Gold just don't get calculated in the same fashion as in a raid encounter where damage and hit points are being calculated with speed. The goblincommunity or whatever you want to call it are pointless to them, unless they are screwing with the game and ruining it for others. I don't really see a case for that yet.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just imagine some adventurer slogging around with 1 million pieces of gold lol. It all will depend on if Blizzard is making enough profit with the token system. A lot of people are able to buy xpacs and stuff with gold from in game, so if their data shows that is taking away profit they might consider a gold squish.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NomCarver View Post
    Just imagine some adventurer slogging around with 1 million pieces of gold lol. It all will depend on if Blizzard is making enough profit with the token system. A lot of people are able to buy xpacs and stuff with gold from in game, so if their data shows that is taking away profit they might consider a gold squish.
    That could be kinda heavy. On the other hand most of us also carry five backpacks filled with items. All kind of weird and bulky items, not to mention the hundreds of mounts and companion pets that are just one magical click away. Realism went out the window some time ago.
    Last edited by looorg; 2018-02-19 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    but playing the ah is in the game since release....