Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    First you need to specify exactly what your point is. Are you talking about the entire continent of Africa, or just the Sub-Saharan portion? Or are you just talking about Black People? If its the latter, just be up front about it and stop BSing.

Also you should probably understand that there has always been a significant black population in North Africa as well.
    He's talking about a movie FFS, Wakandians.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    A culture that is based on the knowledge creation process. A primitive society stumbles from a hunting paradigm up to agriculture and animal husbandry based on happenstance, an advanced society goes from one paradigm to the next based on methodology.
    So, you mean exactly the sort of societies that would have things like cities, books, trade networks, metallurgy, etc? Societies like every major African kingdom in the past thousand years?

Also, assuming that domestication was based on happenstance. Lol. You're not very well read are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    He's talking about a movie FFS, Wakandians.
    No he isn't. He started off this thread saying that Africa as a whole has always been poor, savage, and technologically backwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethris View Post
    We wuz kangz
    Yeah, right like We Wuz Aryans from Space amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Anyone who thinks a magic rock falling from space and granting special powers to them is somehow a solid message to celebrate, is well, retarded. Just like pretending cultures that failed to invent the wheel or domesticate cattle are technologically equal to their European and Asian counterparts.
    Europeans did not invent the wheel or domesticate cattle, oddly enough.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    The main reason Africa was so technologically backward, seriously people, in many places they were barely past the neolithic era as recently as the late 1800s, is precisely because the difficult geography of Africa isolated their people from trade with the rest of the world. The vikings, hardly characterized as a great European civilization, had better weapons than the Zulus 1000 years before the British were stacking their bodies like firewood.
    Bull.

Europe was a thick huge forest during antiquity n the early middle ages, by clearing it people prospered.

Black Africans didn't develop because they didn't face harsh weather conditions

Those who left Africa had to adapt, those who failed died like flies...only the cunning survived, and once mastering the environment had aquired the skill sets to create civilization.

A harsh climate in Africa is Egypt, practically everyone lives along the Nile. They had to adapt and learn how to make the most of the environment and the river to prosper.

Black Africa however...is green, endless Summer, you loose ur food source? No problem, just walk a little n start to pick whatever you want...

Africans didn't develop because they weren't spurred, they became lethargic

while the outside world contested with each other for resources which led them to create invention upon invention..

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Bull.
    [/IMG]
    Yeah, "bull" sums up that entire post.

Bull.

Europe was a thick huge forest during antiquity n the early middle ages, by clearing it people prospered.

Black Africans didn't develop because they didn't face harsh weather conditions

Those who left Africa had to adapt, those who failed died like flies...only the cunning survived, and once mastering the environment had aquired the skill sets to create civilization.

A harsh climate in Africa is Egypt, practically everyone lives along the Nile. They had to adapt and learn how to make the most of the environment and the river to prosper.

Black Africa however...is green, endless Summer, you loose ur food source? No problem, just walk a little n start to pick whatever you want...

Africans didn't develop because they weren't spurred, they became lethargic

while the outside world contested with each other for resources which led them to create invention upon invention..
    Lmao, this is too funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    No he isn't. He started off this thread saying that Africa as a whole has always been poor, savage, and technologically backwards.
    Yeah and that is off the back of drawing comparisons to what he assumes people take from a movie.

This is the level in discourse you are dealing with, and if you are going to go ahead and spend whatever time you have to educate someone who clearly should have learned about this in school, like I should have learned Grammar, then you are really setting yourself up for an afternoon of aggravation.

There are so many things wrong with the premise of the OP that there are only two ways to look at it, either this person has never learned anything about history or the finer details of why one civilization drew dominance over another, OR they do know and are here specifically choosing to ignore those details and prattle on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This is a non-argument.
    Aye

If you want a real answer most thinkers and historians define the level of civilisation based on a combination of technological advancement and civil liberty's

Having women's rights > not
    Having workers rights > not
    Having a democracy > not
    Having no slavery system > having slaves
    Having industrialisation > not

E.t.c

Hope that helps you with a definition. Even if it is just the standard academic one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Lmao, this is too funny.
    Uh actually it's the truth, and it's probably the closest you have come to actually learning about history, so you might want to actually pay attention.

Yeah and that is off the back of drawing comparisons to what he assumes people take from a movie.

This is the level in discourse you are dealing with, and if you are going to go ahead and spend whatever time you have to educate someone who clearly should have learned about this in school, like I should have learned Grammar, then you are really setting yourself up for an afternoon of aggravation.

There are so many things wrong with the premise of the OP that there are only two ways to look at it, either this person has never learned anything about history or the finer details of why one civilization drew dominance over another, OR they do know and are here specifically choosing to ignore those details and prattle on.
    Hmmm... Point taken. I'll tread carefully and bail out when necessary. Thanks for the heads up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people actually believe this rubbish?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Lmao, this is too funny.
    What's funny about it? Geographical environment is a serious topic on how it effects people.

Conquered by who? Europeans? Europeans didn't conquer the African continent in mass until the 1880s. During that same period Europeans were also carving up East Asia, India, and the South Pacific. They weren't conquered "easily" either, but they ended up losing like most countries did due to the technological superiority of the Europeans (mainly thanks to the industrial revolution). You want to start insulting the Chinese next because of the Opium Wars?
    You mean the Chinese who had stagnated technologically, socially, and politically in much the same way as the Africans and Arabs etc. thereby making them vulnerable to European conquest? I'm not sure how this detracts from my point.

Again, industrial revolution. Before that Europeans were unable to penetrate the continent, and they had to contend with massive armies of various African kingdoms, and diseases on the continent. And yeah, the industrial revolution itself was a fluke, starting in Britain and eventually spreading throughout Europe.
    and? Again, none of this detracts from anything I've said.

Yeah, you're comparing a country to an entire portion of a continent. Britain also benefited from the Roman conquest and Christianity which brought civilization to the island, as well as the latter Viking and Norman invasions. In short, Britain didn't do it on its on, it was part of a continuum of knowledge transfer which began in Mesopotamia.
    I picked on Britain because they were the most successful colonizers, but if it makes you feel better, you can just replace every time I referenced them and replace it with "Europe." As to the rest, scroll up, I made this exact point.

There is a massive desert in North Africa that separates the interior of the continent from the rich trade of the Mediterranean. That kept SS Africa somewhat isolated, but civilization did develop there.
    MmmmmmHmmmmm, just like i said, in the original post. Never said civilization didn't develop. I said it was, by comparison, very backward, fractitious, and stagnant, making it easy pickings.

Deleted
    Europeans did not invent the wheel or domesticate cattle, oddly enough.
    There's actually some evidence that humans dident invent the wheel but our distant cousin's the neanderthals who were a separate speaces of human like ape.

Deleted
    Do people actually believe this rubbish?
    Do you n the Swede have anything but one-liners to reply with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, "bull" sums up that entire post.
    He is correct on that post, I am not exactly sure why you would call that bull, need is the mother of all invention, not that it alone is why some developed and others didn't per say, but those different paths in development for sure had an effect.

None of which made one more superior than the other, it simply lead to different sets of problem solving skills.

Hahaha forget that, if those damn birds could fly all that damn time why the hell did they take a Horse?
    MISGUIDED eagles are the WORST!
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

What's funny about it? Geographical environment is a serious topic on how it effects people.
    Oh, I don't know. The fact you think you can just pick food anywhere in African countries. If that was true, why is there so much starvation there?