Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    No I like Mark Hamill, but his joker wasn't better. His joker was more of a cartoon.
    Which was the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While that may historically be true, there's really a first time for everything. At some point, everything we take for granted was done for the first time, and people were saying it'd never work.

At worst, all the study does is essentially justify that violence as the only viable solution. You can only step on people's necks for so long before they get fed up.
    And here, all this time, I thought Occupy<whatever> movements, clever memes and #hashtag campaigns on social media were the most effective ways to change the world.

#flabbergasted

Maybe more complaining and apples/oranges comparisons will do the trick. #fingerscrossed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which was the point.
    Maybe, it depends what you mean.

For me Ledger all the way I remember where I was when I first saw this

This Joker brought a tone that was well beyond where he came from, pers say, but was simply about who he was and what his insanity was about.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The point I was making - the Joker can be 'right' all he wants but his 'code' or 'philosophy' are empty pretexts for him to torture, abuse, kill, and destroy. That's, essentially, the root of all violence; there's a 'justification' behind any killing, but that justification is generally just an empty pretext to committing violence against a population the violent individuals considers to 'deserve it' - whether it's bullies at school, children at a summer camp, political rivals, the rich, racial/religious minorities, or anyone else.

Principled people don't look for reasons to kill other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    ...uhh clearly it does not solve wealth inequality, if we still have wealth inequality
    Temporary solution. Beat the rich and take their riches, so wealth inequality passes for a while. Then people amass wealth again and after some generations there are agains filthy rich and dirt poor, so it is time to start an another revolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, it depends what you mean.

For me Ledger all the way I remember where I was when I first saw this

<SNIP>

This Joker brought a tone that was well beyond where he came from, pers say, but was simply about who he was and what his insanity was about.
    Ignoring the fact that the Nolanification of all things doesn't necessarily make them better (to my mind, the Dark Knight is not as revolutionary a film as people give it credit for), therein is part of the problem.

Ledger's Joker was an interesting take on the character, but ultimately strays too far on the method side of madness; I get that there was social commentary about the role of hero versus villain and the 'who is the real criminal' take on established society, but that comes at the expense of the character. The Joker is supposed to be cartoonish and a living caricature of the worst impulses of human behavior; Hamill's expresses this to a far greater degree, so I rank his take as the superior one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    But is the quality of life better now than it was in the French Revolution for the under class? The inequality doesn’t really matter as long as the masses have just enough to survive.

People en masse start starving in the streets while others sit in ivory towers , then we can talk violent revolution. But as it stands, there really isn’t any reason someone in America should starve. even if the government doesn’t feed them, a charity or food bank or even just the kindness of strangers , will step in.

Why do I bring up starve ? It’s seems the only thing that sparks a violent revolt against the upper class. Not having an iPad wont do it, not have a mansion or a Lamborghini won’t do etc. only starvation
    all i ask for is, is all the people really need..... panem et circenses

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    The point I was making - the Joker can be 'right' all he wants but his 'code' or 'philosophy' are empty pretexts for him to torture, abuse, kill, and destroy. That's, essentially, the root of all violence; there's a 'justification' behind any killing, but that justification is generally just an empty pretext to committing violence against a population the violent individuals considers to 'deserve it' - whether it's bullies at school, children at a summer camp, political rivals, racial/religious minorities, or anyone else.

Ah then you missed the point, as did most of the edgy teens who made the Joker a meme, Joker wasn't a good guy, nor was he some arbirtor of wisdom. He ultimately made no claims whatsoever, the only conversation he really had of any significance was with Batman, and that was mostly to manipulate him.

If you look at joker and ask the question WHY, you missed the point.

He does what he does because that is who he is, not about what others made him do one way or another, the only reveal was how we was able to make it happen, it was because he was an outsider, who understood how the game was played and the rules were set up.

The Joker didn't need justification for anything Batman did, and that's what he took away from him in the end, the people of Gotham turned against him just as he predicted. Because as much as he needs them, they need him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Wealth Inequality is essentially violence. You don't fix someone unreasonable shooting at you by being civil.
    violence
    ˈvʌɪəl(ə)ns/
    noun
    noun: violence

behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    "violence erupted in protest marches"
    synonyms: brutality, brute force, roughness, ferocity, fierceness, savagery, cruelty, sadism, barbarity, barbarousness, brutishness, murderousness, bloodthirstiness, ruthlessness, inhumanity, heartlessness, pitilessness, mercilessness;

thought i would clear that up for you.

Deleted
    Even if some equality is forced it would be the same some years later

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    violence
    ˈvʌɪəl(ə)ns/
    noun

behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    synonyms: brutality, brute force, roughness, ferocity, fierceness, savagery, cruelty, sadism, barbarity, barbarousness, brutishness, murderousness, bloodthirstiness, ruthlessness, inhumanity, heartlessness, pitilessness, mercilessness;

Poverty, imperialism, police brutality and austerity are all pillars of wealth inequality and also violence. Thanks for googling a word I already know and used appropriately though.

Automation is going to cause a lot more wealth inequality. Lower classes are going to have to essentially be taken care of, or things will get super ugly. What's kind of interesting is that upper classes tend to be really super split between idealistic Elon Musk types who want to see a comfortable situation for those who aren't in the professional and ownership class, and then complete Marie Antoinettes on the other end, with pretty much nothing in between.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Ignoring the fact that the Nolanification of all things doesn't necessarily make them better (to my mind, the Dark Knight is not as revolutionary a film as people give it credit for), therein is part of the problem.

Ledger's Joker was an interesting take on the character, but ultimately strays too far on the method side of madness; I get that there was social commentary about the role of hero versus villain and the 'who is the real criminal' take on established society, but that comes at the expense of the character. The Joker is supposed to be cartoonish and a living caricature of the worst impulses of human behavior; Hamill's expresses this to a far greater degree, so I rank his take as the superior one.
    Nolanification what I assume like JJ Lensflare, we going after his particular style of directing. Ok that's fair and I agree, I would also agree with the meat of everything else you have said.

However I think if we are going to rely on source material, hahaha, that is going to be a back and forth I don't envy anybody trying to do. Do you mean origins as in the comics, because there are some Comics that make Batman look a lot more dark and surreal than Nolan's interpretation. If you mean the different incarnations such as the many other books and through the years or television adaption, then You would be be a bit closer to a more generic batman and joker.

Then there is animation, and later films.

As I said Joker for the Nolan films made more sense and was the best of all the incarnations that I have paid attention too, there are some I have missed through the years though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    The point I was making - the Joker can be 'right' all he wants but his 'code' or 'philosophy' are empty pretexts for him to torture, abuse, kill, and destroy. That's, essentially, the root of all violence; there's a 'justification' behind any killing, but that justification is generally just an empty pretext to committing violence against a population the violent individuals considers to 'deserve it' - whether it's bullies at school, children at a summer camp, political rivals, the rich, racial/religious minorities, or anyone else.

that's a dangerous idea about Principled people.

a principle is just a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning. there's nothing about truth that implies its also moral. it was the truths we found out about evolution and genetics that led to the chain of thought that culminated in eugenics after all. and evil belief is at its worst when it actually has a nugget of truth to cling to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Poverty, imperialism, police brutality and austerity are all pillars of wealth inequality and also violence. Thanks for googling a word I already know and used appropriately though.
    but you don't, except for police brutality.

the word your looking for is :

oppression
    əˈprɛʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: oppression; plural noun: oppressions

prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or exercise of authority.
    "a region shattered by oppression and killing"
    synonyms: persecution, abuse, maltreatment, ill treatment, tyranny, despotism, repression, suppression, subjection, subjugation, enslavement, exploitation;

- - - Updated - - -

Ah then you missed the point, as did most of the edgy teens who made the Joker a meme, Joker wasn't a good guy, nor was he some arbirtor of wisdom. He ultimately made no claims whatsoever, the only conversation he really had of any significance was with Batman, and that was mostly to manipulate him.

If you look at joker and ask the question WHY, you missed the point.

He does what he does because that is who he is, not about what others made him do one way or another, the only reveal was how we was able to make it happen, it was because he was an outsider, who understood how the game was played and the rules were set up.

The Joker didn't need justification for anything Batman did, and that's what he took away from him in the end, the people of Gotham turned against him just as he predicted. Because as much as he needs them, they need him.
    just link them this

The problem is both the far left and far right feel they are getting unequal treatment. The far left feel they get unequal treatment in the workplace, sports, talk radio, and some laws. The far right feels they get unequal treatment in the press, movies, TV, schools, some laws, sports and even corporations now (like google). Both view the other as having a “wealth” of power in those fields. So who rises up and commits violence on whom?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

violence
    ˈvʌɪəl(ə)ns/
    noun

Did you leave out all the other meanings on purpose? I'm sure that 1 was followed by a few other numbers.

Look at lebron james. He legitimately feels he is speaking out against wealth inequality and encourages people in his field to do the same. Meanwhile, his opponents feel THEY are speaking out against wealth inequality where a guy like james gets a platform for being rich and powerful but people on the right are poor and ignored and cant speak back to him.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    that's a dangerous idea about Principled people.

a principle is just a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning. there's nothing about truth that implies its also moral. it was the truths we found out about evolution and genetics that led to the chain of thought that culminated in eugenics after all. and evil belief is at its worst when it actually has a nugget of truth to cling to.

- - - Updated - - -

but you don't, except for police brutality.

the word your looking for is :

oppression
    əˈprɛʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: oppression; plural noun: oppressions

prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or exercise of authority.
    "a region shattered by oppression and killing"
    synonyms: persecution, abuse, maltreatment, ill treatment, tyranny, despotism, repression, suppression, subjection, subjugation, enslavement, exploitation;

- - - Updated - - -

just link them this

Hahaah wow damn good take down, I couldn't disagree with any of the video here. Yeah Ledger is my favorite though, not because I feel it is more correct, but that I simply feel he did a better job of portraying Joker as the nihilistic clown so to speak. My least favorite Joker are the ones with Harley Quinn, I have no problem with her per say, but she is kind of like the Robin to Batman.

The ultimate question is why?

It doesn't seem to make him a better Batman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Did you leave out all the other meanings on purpose? I'm sure that 1 was followed by a few other numbers.
    violence
    ˈvʌɪəl(ə)ns/
    noun

synonyms: brutality, brute force, roughness, ferocity, fierceness, savagery, cruelty, sadism, barbarity, barbarousness, brutishness, murderousness, bloodthirstiness, ruthlessness, inhumanity, heartlessness, pitilessness, mercilessness; More
    strong-arm tactics;
    rareferity
    "there had been widespread fears of police violence"
    forcefulness, force, full force, power, powerfulness, strength, might, savagery, ferocity, brutality, destructiveness
    "the violence of the blow"
    antonyms: gentleness, kindness, weakness
    Law
    the unlawful exercise of physical force or intimidation by the exhibition of such force.
    strength of emotion or of a destructive natural force.
    "the violence of her own feelings"
    synonyms: intensity, severity, strength, force, great force, vehemence, powerfulness, power, potency, ferocity, forcefulness, wildness, frenziedness, fury, storminess, tempestuousness, turbulence; More
    lack of control, lack of restraint, passionateness;
    rarefervency, ardency
    "the violence of his passion"
    antonyms: mildness

Origin
    Middle English: via Old French from Latin violentia, from violent- ‘vehement, violent’ (see violent).

full quote. last one on is about emotion and natural forces. cant find anything equating being poor to violence in the definition.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaah wow damn good take down, I couldn't disagree with any of the video here. Yeah Ledger is my favorite though, not because I feel it is more correct, but that I simply feel he did a better job of portraying Joker as the nihilistic clown so to speak. My least favorite Joker are the ones with Harley Quinn, I have no problem with her per say, but she is kind of like the Robin to Batman.

The ultimate question is why?

It doesn't seem to make him a better Batman.
    because every ideology needs followers the echo but yet miss the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The problem is both the far left and far right feel they are getting unequal treatment. The far left feel they get unequal treatment in the workplace, sports, talk radio, and some laws. The far right feels they get unequal treatment in the press, movies, TV, schools, some laws, sports and even corporations now (like google). Both view the other as having a “wealth” of power in those fields. So who rises up and commits violence on whom?
    No that isn't the problem, because those aren't new paradigms, the problem is between those that accept reality and those that don't the work hard, play by the rules, and eventually you will rise to the top and live out the American Dream is a lie for too many people.

The only difference between the left and the right is who is to blame for that as far as the U.S is concerned.