Poll: Should the US ratify the UNCRC?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    Sure, I don't think it would make any difference at all.
    Sadly, we agree. Largely because the UN is mostly unable to enforce anything against powerful nation-states.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    And what is the sensible reaction in a situation where a child faces near constant verbal abuse? What is the child to do in that situation?
    What are YOU and the UN going to do? remove the child from the home?

- - - Updated - - -

Saying you can't force your religious or political beliefs onto a teenager isn't micromanaging the internal functioning of the home.
    What EXACTLY are you going to do? if the parents leave the child at home then they get accused of abandonment. Sorry, the child goes where the parent decides they go. If YOU aren't paying for their care and upbringing then YOU dont get to decide.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that it relates to my post, but what would happen if your 16 year old daughter got pregnant and you wanted her to keep the child, but she chose to get an abortion?
    Who do you think should decide? the UN, or the parents?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    What are YOU and the UN going to do? remove the child from the home?
    I have little power to do anything, but if I or the child being abused reports it and it's investigated then said child can be removed from the home if there is no viable resolution by a or both parents. Sadly, verbal and psychological abuse is often unreported.

What EXACTLY are you going to do? if the parents leave the child at home then they get accused of abandonment.
    This has literally has not and does not occur with teenagers, which is what my OP addresses.

Sorry, the child goes where the parent decides they go. If YOU aren't paying for their care and upbringing then YOU dont get to decide.
    I'm not paying for anything and it wouldn't be me getting involved. Also, taking someone to a church is different from forcing them to believe in a religion.

Who do you think should decide? the UN, or the parents?
    The person who's pregnant.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-02-18 at 06:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have little power to do anything, but if I or the child being abused reports it and it's investigated then said child can be removed from the home if there is no viable resolution by a or both parents. Sadly, verbal and psychological abuse is often unreported.

This has literally has not and does not occur with teenagers, which is what my OP addresses.

I'm not paying for anything and it wouldn't be me getting involved. Also, taking someone to a church is different from forcing them to believe in a religion.

The person who's pregnant.
    Perhaps you aren't aware, than leaving any minor child alone because 'they dont want to go somewhere', can be considered abandonment. People letting their kids play in the yard unsupervised have been even accused of such. Welcome to the world where everyone thinks they know best for YOUR child.

At 16 she's a minor child and thus the responsibility of her parents. At 16 if she's pregnant then she's also the victim of statutory rape, and the inseminator is a rapist. And as such, should be dealt with accordingly.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    At 16 she's a minor child and thus the responsibility of her parents. At 16 if she's pregnant then she's also the victim of statutory rape, and the inseminator is a rapist. And as such, should be dealt with accordingly.
    Can't be bothered with reading back through the entire conversation, but it's only statutory rape if the other party was over the age of consent, depending on the state (some states have a 3-4 year "Romeo" law). Also, a teenager's bodily autonomy trumps parents in regards to something like abortion.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2018-02-20 at 12:29 AM.

Perhaps you aren't aware, than leaving any minor child alone because 'they dont want to go somewhere', can be considered abandonment. People letting their kids play in the yard unsupervised have been even accused of such. Welcome to the world where everyone thinks they know best for YOUR child.
    Nobody has ever been arrested for leaving a 16 year old at home while they went to church. Which is what we are talking about, not young children, but teenagers

In most states the age of consent is 16. So no, it is not statuary rape if she is in one of these states and consents to sex with someone older.

And she still has the right to seek an abortion and if she's in a state where parental consent is required and she doesn't receive it, she's entitled to receive an alternative procedure (.i.e. a judge's consent) to undergo an abortion.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The UN is a massive waste of Time and Money and should be disbanded.

"States Parties shall ensure that a child shall not be separated from his or her parents against their will, except when competent authorities subject to judicial review determine, in accordance with applicable law and procedures, that such separation is necessary for the best interests of the child."

In the U.S., this line would exacerbate the immigration law headache in regards to deportation.

Would never hold in the US.

2 straight up disagrees with shitty deportation/citizenship laws.
    4 would never work with parents (and is written so poorly that it would probably not work anywhere).
    5 would never work, because religion is forced in the US. That's really not that big of a deal until kids mature (usually around 8-12 I would think for most?).
    6 only works in unsupervised space, which can be never technically.

The first 3 points are very good, but it just goes downhill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    "States Parties shall ensure that a child shall not be separated from his or her parents against their will, except when competent authorities subject to judicial review determine, in accordance with applicable law and procedures, that such separation is necessary for the best interests of the child."

In the U.S., this line would exacerbate the immigration law headache in regards to deportation.
    Oh no, the US won't be able to deport the parents of American citizens for the crime of being Hispanic....Shock and horror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    Kinda hard for you seeing it was established in California.
    Good thing I control the social media my child sees and will be leaving this shitty state next year. California just keeps digging it's own grave.

All hopes it sinks into the Ocean soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Pritty standard tbh you should really look up all the things the rest of the world is doing that the US is still having hissy fits over.

It's kinda why the world has been laughing at you the past 60-70 yrs

Only in America can you find race politics, health care debates and people denying evolution and that the earth is round lul every one else settled those arguments over 100 yrs ago
    Everyone laughs at the ugly Americans until the Russians start getting froggy and all of the sudden the smug Europeans are hyperventilating into paper bags and begging us to save their sorry asses...... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Would never hold in the US.

2 straight up disagrees with shitty deportation/citizenship laws.
    4 would never work with parents (and is written so poorly that it would probably not work anywhere).
    I don't think allowing a child—once they reach an agreement of competency and proper comprehension—is that unreasonable of a demand. I'm a Christian, my son tells me he's an atheist, ok. I'm pro-gun reform, he's pro-gun, ok. The role of a parent is to protect and guide their offspring so that they may become developmentally normal adults. It's not a parent's job to tell their, say adolescent son or daughter, who or what they should be.

I don't think allowing a child—once they reach an agreement of competency and proper comprehension—is that unreasonable of a demand. I'm a Christian, my son tells me he's an atheist, ok. I'm pro-gun reform, he's pro-gun, ok. The role of a parent is to protect and guide their offspring so that they may become developmentally normal adults. It's not a parent's job to tell their, say adolescent son or daughter, who or what they should be.
    You sound like a good parent, though. Most aren't, according to this definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    It's a really bad look if all these other countries are ratifying the rights of a child and the U.S. isn't.
    Ratifying it means nothing if they don't actually enforce what it says, it's nothing more than lip service. Do you really think even if South Sudan and Somalia did ratify them that anything would change?

For instance remember who is on the UN Human Right's committee? The nation that puts women to death for driving.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Why would you even ask this here? The MMOC forums are full of redhat MAGA trolls who will vote against anything.

We should absolutely ratify this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    It doesn't look bad to anyone who thinks about it. We already have rights for children, a bunch of idiots at the UN aren't going to improve the lives of American kids.
    So you're saying it doesn't hurt then, because we already have it? As a leader of the world, it makes sense for the US to back things that help to make "common sense laws".

Nice to see that you're a huge asshat though, flinging contempt at someone because they think differently than you, and then blaming progressive for race politics, despite the fact that it's hard to deny racial issues when Cops are effectively murdering colored people, with nothing by paid leave.

Cell phones only allow us to recently capture events on a wider scale.

I wonder what happened between 1863 and now that we simply can't report on, because 90% of the populace didn't have a damn camera.

The world is "suffering" from racial politics, because people who are downtrodden are getting fucking tired of it, and they want equality. This is coming from a white guy, raised Republican, in So Cal. Watching the affluent white people act disgusted at colored people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    You sound like a good parent, though. Most aren't, according to this definition.
    If you force your political beliefs, religion and worldviews on a child old enough to formulate his or her own then you absolutely are being a bad parent.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-02-20 at 11:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Everyone laughs at the ugly Americans until the Russians start getting froggy and all of the sudden the smug Europeans are hyperventilating into paper bags and begging us to save their sorry asses...... again.
    We have our own nukes thanks. Why would we rely on America they'd probly sit on the fence till near the end..... again

You fucks can't even beat the viet cong. Dunno what you expect to do vs Russia

K thx bye