Thread: prohibition

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

prohibition

Why do people think that prohibition on guns will work in the US when prohibition against alcohol and drugs has never worked?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Because guns aren't physically addictive. /thread
    And, alcohol isn't made to kill you.

It's the same reason they think the prohibition of anything that remains in demand will work... they are lying to themselves. Prohibition boils down to two things, money or power.... or a combination of the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Because guns aren't physically addictive. /thread
    Then why do I get an erection every time I shoot one?

Prohibition ?
    as you can see on first column : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overvi...ion#Comparison
    only north korea does not allow gun ownership. and some 3rd world countries have big restrictions.
    Almost anyone can own a gun, in every country
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

It's a sorry state when people have somehow managed to convince themselves that 1. the two are even remotely comparable and 2. that people on the other side of the argument are even calling for that. Kudos on being about as wrong as it's possible to be. That takes some real effort.

Whatever happened to that gun control megathread anyway?
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2018-02-20 at 12:21 PM.

Prohibition and control are not synonyms. We control the poultry industry but I would not say that we have a poultry prohibition.

If you are smart enough to type out words you should be able to do the 15 set tops of critical thinking you would have needed to figure this out by yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    It probably will not work, and in that case the US should get used to mass shootings.
    Mass shootings are pretty much exclusive to the US where you can walk to a gun shop with an ID card and walk out with a bazooka and a minigun.

A slew of reasons?

Guns aren’t addictive. They aren’t part of the social fabric of any country

Guns can’t be easily manufactured in your home

Most Americans support increased gun control laws. There’s no evidence the majority of Americans supported prohibition

Lastly, prohibition was actually more effective than most people realize. It reduced the consumption of alcohol by half for nearly two decades

Deleted
    It all doesn't matter anyway since there will be zero change, just like after every school shooting.
    Last time people got afraid that rules would be tighter, there even was a run on gun registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    A slew of reasons?

Guns aren’t addictive. They aren’t part of the social fabric of any country

Guns can’t be easily manufactured in your home

Most Americans support increased gun control laws. There’s no evidence the majority of Americans supported prohibition

Lastly, prohibition was actually more effective than most people realize. It reduced the consumption of alcohol by half for nearly two decades
    guns can be 3d printed now.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Why do people think that prohibition on guns will work in the US when prohibition against alcohol and drugs has never worked?
    Because people are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's the same reason they think the prohibition of anything that remains in demand will work... they are lying to themselves. Prohibition boils down to two things, money or power.... or a combination of the two.

[
    Oh, you mean like the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Oh, you mean like the NRA.
    They are definitely one of the people pushing for both. I despise lobbyists.

Prohibition never works, but I think that would be a terrible direction for you guys to go in regards to gun control. It would probably start a civil war.

Why not just copy some of the other G7 countries with less of a mass shooting problem. Require training/background checks/licensing before allowing people to buy guns and ammo. Don't sell assault weapons to civilians, they're no good for sport or hunting, there's no reason to have them...and before someone says to "fight the government" don't give me that bologna nobody is winning a fight against tanks, drones and nukes with a couple assault rifles.

Why do people think a complete misrepresentation of what gun control is is a point in their favour?

You want a gun in Aussie, you can get one. They mostly banned them for self defense.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    I did like boardwalk empire

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Why not just copy some of the other G7 countries with less of a mass shooting problem. Require training/background checks/licensing before allowing people to buy guns and ammo. Don't sell assault weapons to civilians, they're no good for sport or hunting, there's no reason to have them...and before someone says to "fight the government" don't give me that bologna nobody is winning a fight against tanks, drones and nukes with a couple assault rifles.
    You can't require all of those things as they price people out of a constitutionally protected right. It would be like making someone pay so they can vote.
    Define assault weapon? If you are talking AR-15 that rifle is good for both sport and hunting(wild boar for example). As for "fighting the government" its true an AR-15(not an assault rifle FYI) is not much use against tanks, drones, and nukes. Then again a lot of our volunteer military is made up of people who support and defend the second amendment which likely means a lot of them would side with the citizens in the event of a tyrannical government taking over. Of course you don't need to take out drones and tanks to be a major pain the ass to an occupying force either as history has shown. I also doubt anyone is nuking their own country to deal with an insurrection.

Deleted
    ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't work, however if there are some sensible gun control measures perhaps, but even then it's a long road. I am not saying it is wrong to ask people to give something up, but I am saying it is wrong to ask people to give something up many wouldn't to the same in return, because if we are going to restrict guns, we damn well better start cracking down on sugars and fatty foods, this includes industries that for years marketed their consumption to children and adults for the better part of the last century.

A lot more kids are being impacted by that then anything else.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Because it's much harder to manufacture guns in your back yard than it is to make alcohol. Also nobody is talking prohibition. Gun control is not prohibition. Stop dealing with ignorant absolutes.