10+ Year Old Account

Donald Trump falsely says he never denied Russian meddling

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-russian-medd/

The indictments of 13 Russians detailing how they used Facebook and Twitter to undercut Hillary Clinton and promote President Donald Trump spurred a flurry of tweets from Trump over the weekend.

"I never said Russia did not meddle in the election," Trump wrote Feb. 18. "I said ‘it may be Russia, or China or another country or group, or it may be a 400 pound genius sitting in bed and playing with his computer.’ The Russian ‘hoax’ was that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia - it never did!"

Trump might want to focus on collusion, but his blanket denial that he ever questioned Russian meddling runs up against his own words.

Early on, Trump treated any mention of Russian interference as an attack on the legitimacy of his victory.

In a May 2017 interview with NBC’s Lester Holt, Trump said "this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story." Trump continued in that interview to say, "It's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should've won."

That statement earned him PolitiFact’s 2017 Lie of the Year.

In September 2017, when reports of Russian-backed Facebook ads came out, Trump tweeted, "The Russia hoax continues, now it's ads on Facebook. What about the totally biased and dishonest Media coverage in favor of Crooked Hillary?"
    When the Washington Post reported in December 2016 that the CIA had concluded that the Russians wanted to boost Trump’s chances, Trump rejected it.

"We had a massive landslide victory, as you know, in the Electoral College," he said on Fox News Sunday on Dec. 11, 2016. "I guess the final numbers are now at 306. She’s down to a very low number. No, I don’t believe that at all."

In a December 2016 interview with Time, Trump said two things: He didn’t think Russia meddled, and that it might have.

"I don’t believe they interfered," Trump said. "That became a laughing point, not a talking point, a laughing point. Any time I do something, they say ‘oh, Russia interfered.’"

But a moment later he said, "I believe that it could have been Russia and it could have been any one of many other people. Sources or even individuals."

During an overseas trip to Asia in November 2017, Trump spoke of his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. A reporter asked how Trump brought up the issue of Russian meddling in the U.S. election.

"Every time he sees me, he says, ‘I didn't do that,’ " Trump said. "And I really believe that when he tells me that, he means it."

Asked again if he believed Putin, Trump called several top U.S. intelligence officials "political hacks," and argued that other matters were more important.

"You have President Putin very strongly, vehemently says he had nothing to do with that," Trump said. "Now, you’re not going to get into an argument. You’re going to start talking about Syria and the Ukraine."

So there are any number of occasions when Trump has denied Russian meddling across the board. But at other moments, he has acknowledged that it is possible.

In the same interview with NBC’s Holt where he called the Russian thing "a made-up story," Trump also suggested that Russia might try to shape U.S. elections.

"If Russia or anybody else is trying to interfere with our elections, I think it’s a horrible thing and I want to get to the bottom of it," Trump said. "And I want to make sure it will never, ever happen."

At a January 2017 news conference, he said he thought Russia did hack into the DNC, but he blurred the picture.

"As far as hacking, I think it was Russia," he said. "But I think we also get hacked by other countries and other people."

Pressed on his apparent acceptance of the intelligence agencies’ findings, Trump backpedaled.

"All right, but you know what, it could have been others also," Trump said.

Our ruling
    Trump said that he "never said that Russia did not meddle in the election."

In reality, he called the matter a "made-up story," and a "hoax." He has said that he believes Russian President Putin’s denial of any Russian involvement. He told Time, "I don’t believe they (Russia) interfered."

Even when he has acknowledged the possibility that the Russians interfered, he has added that it could have been other countries or even individuals.

Trump’s denial doesn’t match what he has actually said.

We rate this claim Pants on Fire!

Who are you going to believe the countless videos of Trump denying Russia meddling or the Donald Trump of today? I am sure his zombie followers will eat this shit up too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Each day, Trump sheds his pasty exterior and becomes a new creature, unaccountable for what his husk did in the past.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Trump is a liar. Period. His legion of supporters either refuse to admit he's a liar, or simply don't care that he's a liar. His supporters fall into one of two groups, willfully-ignorant fools who refuse to believe facts, or real-life trolls who enjoy being hypocrites in order to push political discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This as well...

I don't know how people can support a man that lies so much... let alone how the religious right can... he is the least Christian president in American history. I would actually be "for" that, unfortunately he also has no ethics to speak of either.
    It's simple, most people are hypocrites. Religious conservatives just happen to be more hypocritical than most people. It has never been about morals, and has always been about forcing their bigotry onto others. People don't give a damn about morals, they care about winning. The United States is not going to collapse from an attack from a foreign enemy, it sill die as a result of cognitive dissonance.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I would like to know is if Trump actually believes the new reality he creates every day with whatever his whim of the moment is, or if he just knows full well he's lying and just relies on the ignorance and/or apathy of his followers.

It's really hard to tell what Trump actually believes or if he is even aware of his lies.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    What I would like to know is if Trump actually believes the new reality he creates every day with whatever his whim of the moment is, or if he just knows full well he's lying and just relies on the ignorance and/or apathy of his followers.

It's really hard to tell what Trump actually believes or if he is even aware of his lies.
    There doesn't necessarily need to be a distinction between the two. You can easily start off knowing you're lying and then just come to believe it by virtue of the fact you can never admit you're wrong.

But I mean, it's all immaterial since what actually motivates him to lie is a mixture of spite, greed, and personal insecurity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The funny part, is when he asked Putin if Putin meddled, Putin said no, and Trump said he believed Putin.

Shhhh, the narrative changed from "Russia didn't meddle" to "Russia meddled, but no one in the Trump campaign helped" just go with the new story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Each day, Trump sheds his pasty exterior and becomes a new creature, unaccountable for what his husk did in the past.
    And this is not even his final form.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I agree, the way he speaks makes me think dementia as well:

“So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, 'I want my insurance.' It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.” — Interview with New York Times, July 19, 2017 at Oval Office.

WTF does the above mean?
    He thinks health insurance is a 401k or life insurance plan. I believe this was after he claimed that "nobody knew it could be so complicated", which was quickly followed by "after a short period of time I knew everything there was to know about health insurance".

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yes, Trump clearly aspires to solipsism. He is only aware of the reality he believes in at any given moment. He'd make a slaad proud.
    Hmm. He already looks like one.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Most of predicted this would happen.

1. Never happened.
    2. Fake news.
    3. Liberal bias.
    4. Even if it happened, it's not illegal.
    5. I never said it didn't happen.
    6. Is there Twitter in Jail - asking for a friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Shhhh, the narrative changed from "Russia didn't meddle" to "Russia meddled, but no one in the Trump campaign helped" just go with the new story.
    You need to stay current. Recently it's also been "Pfft, so Russia illegally spent a million dollars to help Trump's campaign. A million dollars is nothing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I'm taking bets he's on some kind of anti-psychotic medicine. His behavior is too inconsistent to be just eccentric.
    Or just cocaine. The drug of choice for rich white folks with too much time on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.