Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I assume it's #3, it makes far more sense than the others...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think so as well - but I guess the jury's out until we see the full scenario in-game.
    I hope it's #4: they are opening rifts from which a massive amount of Alliance troops are getting throught.
    Not betting on it, but I find summoning beings from the void far too dangerous, and I hope void elves treat the dangers of their powers with proper care.
    Whatever...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    I hope it's #4: they are opening rifts from which a massive amount of Alliance troops are getting throught.
    Not betting on it, but I find summoning beings from the void far too dangerous, and I hope void elves treat the dangers of their powers with proper care.
    Riding the razor's edge of the Void seems to be the Void Elves' general leitmotif, however; so it seems quite fitting that in a pitched battle they might indulge in questionable shock tactics like summon aberrations or even calling in areas of Void contamination (a la the Shadowguard forces in Mac'Aree) as siege tactic.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Riding the razor's edge of the Void seems to be the Void Elves' general leitmotif, however; so it seems quite fitting that in a pitched battle they might indulge in questionable shock tactics like summon aberrations or even calling in areas of Void contamination (a la the Shadowguard forces in Mac'Aree) as siege tactic.
    It may be, but I personally hope they are more restrained than that. Self-control and restraint are integral to their phylosophy, abusing their power is an easy way to lose control over it.

The only thing I like about void elves is the idea that they have an iron will and can calm their emotions so the void does not control them. I'd hate them (even more) if they suddenly start using the void carelessly.

As Duskwalker says: "Your emotions expose weakness. The Void will exploit that if you let it."
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2018-02-20 at 07:26 PM.
    Whatever...

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm mostly curious about where the High Elves are coming from specifically. If any of them are supposed to be formerly of the silver covenant, it would be interesting if resolving differences between them and the Blood Elves they once persecuted in Dalaran was part of the Void Elf starting experience.

As Duskwalker says: "Your emotions expose weakness. The Void will exploit that if you let it."
    Weird, considering Allerias sole anchor to reality is nothing but her emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm mostly curious about where the High Elves are coming from specifically. If any of them are supposed to be formerly of the silver covenant, it would be interesting if resolving differences between them and the Blood Elves they once persecuted in Dalaran was part of the Void Elf starting experience.
    Silver Covenant has a grudge against Silvermoon government, not its people. They worked alongside blood elves several times, it's only when the blood elves were representing or acting for the Horde that things got ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Weird, considering Allerias sole anchor to reality is nothing but her emotions.
    I don't remember who says it in Telogrus, but there's someone who warns that the Void can't change what is immutable.

Alleria's anchor, if I remember correctly, lies not exactly on her emotions, but on the certainty that she would never harm her loved ones.

At least, that's how I understand it.
    Whatever...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    The Nightborn unlock scenario expanse this:

spoilers: Remember that the Blood Elves have the Sunwell again, and are using that for their magic once again (no longer using fel). However, when Alleria visted Silvermoon after the events on Argus, her Void powers reacted negatively and [I]violently[/I] to the Light infused Sunwell (beyond her ability to control). Almost allowing Void beings to corrupt the Sunwell and once again plunge Silvermoon into mana starvation. It's not safe for Void infused anything to be anywhere near the Sunwell, apparently. And so Alleria (and any like her) were banished.

Oh and it has to be mentioned. The Void Elves start with Alleria, who is already part of the Alliance...and not likely to leave it and her family, and supposedly the High Elves that were also already a part of the Alliance.

You are right that if a member of the Horde was the one to learn to control the Void, instead of Alleria, things might be different (and the spoiler above would never happen). But that person could be Sylvanas herself, so we will see!
    Doesn't change the fact that we have no indication that such an accident happened with Umbric and his people. And those were normal Horde-Citizens who simply practiced Void magic which is not illegal in the Horde, as seen by the Dark Clerics and Witch Doctors who practice their craft peacefully and openly.

I don't remember who says it in Telogrus, but there's someone who warns that the Void can't change what is immutable.

Alleria's anchor, if I remember correctly, lies not exactly on her emotions, but on the certainty that she would never harm her loved ones.

At least, that's how I understand it.
    How is that not an emotional anchor though? It is basically her love stopping her from going over the edge, just kill her son, if she has her emotions in check nothing will happen, otherwise it should be quite entertaining.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    I look forward to eventually watching the void elves attempt to attack Silvermoon which they will most likely do. Going the way of High elves in their hypocrisy, and now that we see high elves in the Telogus rift, I couldn't help but chuckle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that we have no indication that such an accident happened with Umbric and his people. And those were normal Horde-Citizens who simply practiced Void magic which is not illegal in the Horde, as seen by the Dark Clerics and Witch Doctors who practice their craft peacefully and openly.
    They were following the same footsteps of Dar'khan, and even when they figured it out they kept going. Rommath had every right to boot them for that.

It would be like if a troll started trying to replicate what Zalazane did "For the defense of the Darkspear" Vol'jin would probably kill him/her.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'd kinda question where the endless elves of option 1 are coming from. Even if they can create more of their kind, they'd need a supply of regular elves and/or time for it, that they simply didn't have yet.

So 2 or 3 seem far more likely. If it isn't just illusions/hallucinations or somebody hopelessly exaggerating things. For all we know, the speaker could just be having a nightmare.
    I'd really truly love the idea that theyre pulling more void elves out of the void itself, like the void spawning twisted shades of the elves amd then becoming sentient.

What I wonder is when will we see Void of every other race? ;D
    IronVan the Van of Steel

How is that not an emotional anchor though? It is basically her love stopping her from going over the edge, just kill her son, if she has her emotions in check nothing will happen, otherwise it should be quite entertaining.
    I think there's a difference between an emotion that is used to cement your conviction, and another that shakes it. The first one keeps the Void at bay, the second invites it in.
    Whatever...

I think there's a difference between an emotion that is used to cement your conviction, and another that shakes it. The first one keeps the Void at bay, the second invites it in.
    I don't see much of a difference to be honest, any conviction rooted in emotion can be just as easily be exploited as emotions themselves. Alleria's love for Arator can very easily be used against her.

All the void needs is to corrupt a bunch of people in a specific way to hunt down and kill Arator for example and her very attachment becomes her downfall.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2018-02-20 at 11:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I don't see much of a difference to be honest, any conviction rooted in emotion can be just as easily be exploited as emotions themselves. Alleria's love for Arator can very easily be used against her.

All the void needs is to corrupt a bunch of people in a specific way to hunt down and kill Arator for example and her very attachment becomes her downfall.
    Yeah, like if for instance an airship will fall on him. Im pretty sure the anchor would go to hell after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Yeah, like if for instance an airship will fall on him. Im pretty sure the anchor would go to hell after that.
    Or one of his fathers statues, which he tends to be in front quite often, falls on him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather

Yeah, pretty much. All that it's required to turn the Void's "lies" into "truths" is a grieving woman losing everything: Alleria has basically lost Quel'Thalas already. If something happens to Turalyon and Arator, that may be the end of her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

To be frank, I consider playing with the Void foolish and wouldn't trust a void elf ever. I'm just trying really hard to get into Blizzard's excuse for the void elves, so, I don't have a lot of conviction in what I'm saying here.

BUT here's the thing I think you are missing: there's a difference between conviction and emotion. Alleria loves her son, and throught that love she came to the conviction that she will never hurt him. It's that conviction, not the emotion that spawned it, that is immutable and works as an anchor for her. She has cemented in her head that she will never do anything that would harm her son.

Now, if I'm getting it right, then it means Arator is more than just a person for Alleria. He's an ideal. Even if Arator dies horribly, she would still keep him as her anchor. In her darkest moments, she would ask what Arator (as idealized by her) would think to be the right thing to do. She would live to never let him down, even if he's gone.

Of course, this is just my interpretation, and it's shaky. But, taking that and applying to the void elves, it means they need to have some solid conviction in something. That's their torch in the darkness, their anchor in the storm, the source of their iron will. Emotions that shake that conviction weaken their minds to the void.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2018-02-20 at 11:47 PM.
    Whatever...

To be frank, I consider playing with the Void foolish and wouldn't trust a void elf ever. I'm just trying really hard to get into Blizzard's excuse for the void elves, so, I don't have a lot of conviction in what I'm saying here.

BUT here's the thing I think you are missing: there's a difference between conviction and emotion. Alleria loves her son, and throught that love she came to the conviction that she will never hurt him. It's that conviction, not the emotion that spawned it, that is immutable and works as an anchor for her. She has cemented in her head that she will never do anything that would harm her son.

Now, if I'm getting it right, then it means Arator is more than just a person for Alleria. He's an ideal. Even if Arator dies horribly, she would still keep him as her anchor. In her darkest moments, she would ask what Arator (as idealized by her) would think would be the right thing to do. She would live to never let him down, even if he's gone.

Of course, this is just my interpretation, and it's shaky. But, taking that and applying to the void elves, it means they need to have some solid conviction in something. That's their torch in the darkness, their anchor in the storm, the source of their iron will. Emotions that shake that conviction weaken their minds to the void.
    Alleria is unwilling or unable to reign in her love in general, as locus walker himself already pointed out, Alleria loves Turalyon dearly, she loves Arator etc. at the moment this is her strength, but in the end they are attachments on something very fickle and ultimately fragile. Coupled with her personal history of love and loss she is walking disaster, the last time she actually experienced personal love it drove her into a suicidal rage and that was before the void was in her head 24/7.

Arator and Turalyon aren't just mere things to her, not some ideal. She cares about them, heck in a crucial moment of her void training she was willing to throw it all under the bus in order to save Turalyon, because her beloved one was in danger.

Ultimately they void elves might believe they have their emotions and as such the void under control, but I'd wager they actually do not, it is a far too corrupting power to be overcome so very easily, if this is enough to hold it off anyone could do it. So while these attachments help them to keep themselves focused on reality it can easily turn into their doom at a moments notice.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2018-02-20 at 11:57 PM.

Ultimately they void elves might believe they have their emotions and as such the void under control, but I'd wager they actually do not, it is a far too corrupting power to be overcome so very easily, if this is enough to hold it off anyone could do it. So while these attachments help them to keep themselves focused on reality it can easily turn into their doom at a moments notice.
    I agree, specially with the bolded part. However, since they became a playable race, it kinds cements that the method work.
    As a NPC race? I'd expect them to fail hard. But being playable messes everything. I always thought void elves were a bad idea since their name was first datamined in those items.

And, about Alleria, her love can be her downfall. Maybe Turalyon or Arator dies, for instance, and the loss unravels everything and Alleria goes mad. It's at that moment that she will need to reign in and use her conviction to keep emotion in check.

it's like if someone kill your loved one, and you get mad and are about to take revenge, but then the memory of the loved one makes you control yourself because he/she would not support that action. Can you do it? Can you control your emotions when they are strongest? That's the dillema that Alleria and most void elves will need to face at some point. Will they fail? Well, the story is still being written.
    Whatever...

I agree, specially with the bolded part. However, since they became a playable race, it kinds cements that the method work.
    As a NPC race? I'd expect them to fail hard. But being playable messes everything. I always thought void elves were a bad idea since their name was first datamined in those items.
    Not really Alleria has been dabbling in the void for centuries and has not yet fallen, the playable character would be one of these super special snowflakes, while elves fall all around them to madness after a while, now that they are getting outcasts they might be able to maintain their very small population. Lorewise 80% of all demon hunters fall during initiation alone and their story is riddled with traitors, yet they don't get as messed up as void elves in terms of insanity and they are the very same base race, so I see no reason why they would suddenly better able to maintain a far more difficult power source.

So if we don't see some insane void elves in the future it would be very sloppy writing to say the least.