Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    They be taking my 99$ bump stock m8, what amIGONNA DOOOOOO

;D

lol

OT: I'm fine with them taking away my bumpstock, it's my suppressor that took freaken forever to get that I'd be salty about

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    They be taking my 99$ bump stock m8, what amIGONNA DOOOOOO

;D

lol

OT: I'm fine with them taking away my bumpstock, it's my suppressor that took freaken forever to get that I'd be salty about
    Go back to your thumb and belt loop, I suppose.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpuk View Post
    Well, be specific - what exactly is it that you want fixed?
    Well, to start off, I'd like to keep children from dying in schools from gun violence. That's #1 on my list.

But I think we can all agree that something might need to be done. Even current laws on the books aren't being enforced properly. Perhaps that's the place to start?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're such a demon for KILLING that poor, poor, poor.... paper plate :P
    Lots and lots of bottles to, filled with water. And the pumpkins and watermelons oh my!!. Who is going to save them?!! A large fat over ripe Zucchini also makes a good target. Poor things.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I understand that there is actually a practical reason for having suppressor in sport shooting. Hearing damage - right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lots and lots of bottles to, filled with water. And the pumpkins and watermelons oh my!!. Who is going to save them?!! A large fat over ripe Zucchini also makes a good target. Poor things.
    I have to say, that even if my wish comes true, I would miss the sport of shooting. Very enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Well, to start off, I'd like to keep children from dying in schools from gun violence. That's #1 on my list.

But I think we can all agree that something might need to be done. Even current laws on the books aren't being enforced properly. Perhaps that's the place to start?
    For sure. And better security at the schools and other places where a lot of people are gathered together.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand that there is actually a practical reason for having suppressor in sport shooting. Hearing damage - right?

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, that even if my wish comes true, I would miss the sport of shooting. Very enjoyable.
    Yes. They help. But so does a good pair of hearing protection ear muffs. And they do not make it whisper quiet like you see in the movies. Big thing is they are quieter for your neighbors too.

It is fun to shoot. It is challenging also as much as you want it to be.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yes. They help. But so does a good pair of hearing protection ear muffs. And they do not make it whisper quiet like you see in the movies.

It is fun to shoot. It is challenging also as much as you want it to be.
    Then what's the point of a suppressor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Then what's the point of a suppressor?
    I added one other benefit above. Big thing is they are quieter for your neighbors too. Less muzzle flash I think also. But i do not own any and there may be other benefits I am not aware of.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-02-20 at 11:31 PM.

It's not a gun problem. It's a cultural problem.
    If you are enough of a psychopath to be wanting to shoot up a school, you'll manage to get a gun no matter what the laws are. Hell, if you're enough of a psychopath you'll manage to get weapons of mass destruction in a society that is one of the most restrictive guns-wise in the entire world (10 internets if you guess which nation I'm talking about).
    If I were wrong we'd also have a school shooting problem in Europe, which we have not, despite having a lot more guns around than what people like to meme about (pictured).

I'd also like to point out how the countries in light blue tend to be very dangerous places outside of South Korea and Japan.

The things to remember about a Silencer/ Sound Suppressor:
    1) Maxim, in ye days of olde, called them silencers to sell shit.
    2) They aren't silent. They reduce the sound of gun shots below the damage threshold of 140db.
    3) A silenced 9mm might be 128+ db, a chain saw is 125db.

Shooting without hearing protection will damage your hearing, a silencer helps with that. A silencer + ear plugs + ear muffs helps even more.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    2) They aren't silent. They reduce the sound of gun shots below the damage threshold of 140db.

Shooting without hearing protection will damage your hearing, a silencer helps with that. A silencer + ear plugs + ear muffs helps even more.
    So essentially a suppressor is for ear protection? I'm good with that.

10+ Year Old Account

So true. My son got me for my birthday, some awesome hearing protection ear muffs. Howard Leight ( by Honeywell ) Impact Pro. You can adjust the volume for sounds outside of gun shots, so you can have a normal conversation while shooting and yet they will automatically cut the sound down from gun shots. Works great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

- - - Updated - - -

I really enjoy mine, it's nothing special it's called an Osprey Micro, really quiet little silencer - took me EFFING 9 months to get hahah (I put in for it June 2016 though, which was about a month before that ATF change so everyone was putting one in at the time)

Anyway, but I think it's nice for subsonic, and of course if your round is still ultra fast like .223/556/554/762/308 etc, it will still be loud of course - as for a little 22 subsonic, shits literally silent haha

- - - Updated - - -

Go back to your thumb and belt loop, I suppose.
    True, I've never done it, but I've seen my buddy with his ak74 (5.54 rounds) bump fire like that super easy, for my little ar-15/22 the bump stock was just for funsies, I never put it on my custom ar-15, I just hate spending all that money hahah

- - - Updated - - -

Fully correct, those high 3400fps+++ rounds still blast out of a HUGE suppressor loud, BUUUUT they are much quieter than stock of course.

Although for a smallllllll hitman round like 22lr even those 1500fps cci rounds are pretty quiet, and they pack a decent punch - The SilencerCo Osprey Micro does it proper for sure

More gun control/ "assault" weapon ban is certainly not the place to start here. Watch this, then go and fact check it as well.

https://youtu.be/74EnNNvrK98

Its been done. It didn't work.

Might I suggest that it isn't a gun law issue at all? Is a crazy person going to refrain from shooting someone, just because its against the law to have a gun? The law, perhaps, isn't the first thing they're going to stop for.

Psycotic just don't give a fuck. Never has, never will.

Everytime something like this happens, people expect a reaction. Why don't we try being proactive, instead of reactive?

Start with school security, for one. Why wouldn't a criminal, who has the goal of killing as much as possible, not target a gun free area? Shit, when I play any versus game, if I can get my opponent in a place where they can't see it coming, and have no means of retaliation, I just won the match. That's how gun free zones get viewed - they're just soft targets.

I have heard calls for arming faculty and armed officers/guards, and while I'm not specifically against the idea, this is still a reactionary measure. Someone would have to gain access and start causing harm for this measure to be of any significance. That is, if they're not first on the list and actually get a chance to react.

Before we start arming faculty, stop and ask "why do we even allow them on the grounds, much less in the building?" I work in a random office building that has more security than these schools apparently have. i have to use my keycard six times just to get to my desk. Start with a fence and secured gates. Then, secure the damn doors. Install cameras at your entry points, and MONITOR them. Clear people for entry, and yea, you're gonna need to set up some metal detectors.

So ... what if we could go even more proactive than that?
    Totally plausable. Start with the recent perp from the TX shooting. So, again no addition of gun laws would have stopped this. Certainly if the rules in place had been followed, he shouldn't have been able to purchase. But if we're failing to follow the law/rules already in place, extra rules here don't help.

Lets look at his access to healthcare, though. Do you have any idea what a less than honorable discharge does for your access to health care? You have a sliver of a chance. Rather than look after and see that the guy got help, the AF dismissed him on a bad conduct discharge, after they'd previously court martialed him for the assault of his wife and step-son. Clear signs of metal unhealth, yet he's thrust into a position where getting the help he needed was nigh impossible.

I just think that before we go off and ban everything, we should stop and realize it isn't the object causing the terror. Just suggesting we look more at "Why did this happen?" instead of what tools were used.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    More gun control/ "assault" weapon ban is certainly not the place to start here. Watch this, then go and fact check it as well.

Might I suggest that it isn't a gun law issue at all? Is a crazy person going to refrain from shooting someone, just because its against the law to have a gun? The law, perhaps, isn't the first thing they're going to stop for.

Everytime something like this happens, people expect a reaction. Why don't we try being proactive, instead of reactive?

Start with school security, for one. Why wouldn't a criminal, who has the goal of killing as much as possible, not target a gun free area? Shit, when I play any versus game, if I can get my opponent in a place where they can't see it coming, and have no means of retaliation, I just won the match. That's how gun free zones get viewed - they're just soft targets.

I have heard calls for arming faculty and armed officers/guards, and while I'm not specifically against the idea, this is still a reactionary measure. Someone would have to gain access and start causing harm for this measure to be of any significance. That is, if they're not first on the list and actually get a chance to react.

Before we start arming faculty, stop and ask "why do we even allow them on the grounds, much less in the building?" I work in a random office building that has more security than these schools apparently have. i have to use my keycard six times just to get to my desk. Start with a fence and secured gates. Then, secure the damn doors. Install cameras at your entry points, and MONITOR them. Clear people for entry, and yea, you're gonna need to set up some metal detectors.

Totally plausable. Start with the recent perp from the TX shooting. So, again no addition of gun laws would have stopped this. Certainly if the rules in place had been followed, he shouldn't have been able to purchase. But if we're failing to follow the law/rules already in place, extra rules here don't help.

Lets look at his access to healthcare, though. Do you have any idea what a less than honorable discharge does for your access to health care? You have a sliver of a chance. Rather than look after and see that the guy got help, the AF dismissed him on a bad conduct discharge, after they'd previously court martialed him for the assault of his wife and step-son. Clear signs of metal unhealth, yet he's thrust into a position where getting the help he needed was nigh impossible.

I just think that before we go off and ban everything, we should stop and realize it isn't the object causing the terror. Just suggesting we look more at "Why did this happen?" instead of what tools were used.
    Unfortunately, other countries similar to ours have had gun violence issues, and they ratcheted up their gun control laws, and gun violence dramatically diminished. So while a cute youtube video might be your answer, I'm gonna go ahead with years of empirical data.

The problem is gun control. The issue is the iron clad hold the NRA has on all of us - either financially or educationally.

Deleted
    I never understood why people can't just go half way.

Regular Lisense checkups and education about firearms to prevent nutjobs getting guns and to promote safe well maintained Gun ownership.

10+ Year Old Account

Well said. A lot of great points. But we need to understand, the left politics has to blame the right no matter what is done, for something. Trump has just called for the DA to look into banning BumpStocks with a panel to look at other ways to prevent such type devices which enhance a AR-15 style weapon. I have yet to hear any Democrat or his haters praise his call for it, when they themselves where all for it after the Vegas shooting. Why is that? I may be wrong and they will come forward soon and say it is a great idea. But I am not holding my breath.

Unfortunately, other countries similar to ours have had gun violence issues, and they ratcheted up their gun control laws, and gun violence dramatically diminished. So while a cute youtube video might be your answer, I'm gonna go ahead with years of empirical data.
    As mentioned before, folks focus on UK/ Aus, but the drop in crime was less (percentage wise) than the USA. Many other countries have various restrictions without 90% bans. When the Brevik shooting occurred in Norway, they didn't suddenly change laws.

The problem is gun control. The issue is the iron clad hold the NRA has on all of us - either financially or educationally.
    The idea that the NRA drives opinion of folks vs those folks keeping the NRA going is a bogeyman created by opponents of the NRA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I never understood why people can't just go half way.

Regular Lisense checkups and education about firearms to prevent nutjobs getting guns and to promote safe well maintained Gun ownership.
    I agree. My conceal/carry handgun license, I have to get renewed every 5 years. Just like my driver's license. Part of the class I had to take involved safety with firearms, laws concerning them and life fire practice. I would not be opposed to all new gun purchases, for the first time as a min, take such a class. The back ground check I had to under go was pretty involved. With finger prints, photos and a waiting period for it to clear the check.

Although for a smallllllll hitman round like 22lr even those 1500fps cci rounds are pretty quiet, and they pack a decent punch - The SilencerCo Osprey Micro does it proper for sure
    22lr is still decent volume, but yeah it's the quietest. A subsonic 40gr bullet is more like a pellet gun though. :-p