Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    I do find it hilarious that people a few years from dying feel like their input on the world matters than those who have a lifetime left to live.

But I agree that 16 should be the age to vote. At 16 you can work, drive, and pay taxes. You should be able to vote.
    It's not like old people could possibly know something about the world, and care about there descendants?

You guys are a walking Chesterton's Fence. It's exhausting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delana View Post
    It's not like old people could possibly know something about the world, and care about there descendants?
    They sure haven't acted like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Voting should happen when someone turns 25 years old because a person that is under 25 can be easily swayed. Human ontogeny is delayed because the brain is the slowest and last to develop well into adulthood. But it is done out of respect for those that serve which is why 18 years old has been the standard. Having 18 year old adults fight in wars and not being able to vote was clearly wrong. However, 16 years old is too young, which is why some states in America only allow a driver's license on the 18th birthday.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Voting should happen when someone turns 25 years old because a person that is under 25 can be easily swayed. But it is done out of respect for those that serve which is why 18 years old has been the standard. Having 18 year old adults fight in wars and not being able to vote was clearly wrong. However, 16 years old is too young, which is why some states in America only allow a driver's license on the 18th birthday.
    Yeah, there's no way a bunch of angry 50 year old sad sacks were ever fooled by a snake oil salesman into voting for him.
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Yeah, there's no way a bunch of angry 50 year old sad sacks were ever fooled by a snake oil salesman into voting for him.
    How do you figure they voted out of anger? A 50 year old in 2018 would mean they were born late 60's early 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    I'm sure that just because his opinion mirrors their own is a coincidence.
    But it doesn't. Otherwise they wouldn't name it an opinion piece.

16 year old's can pay tax's, drive and work, They should be able to vote. If age was a deciding factor on maturity then there is a about of 18+ that shouldn't vote.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    How do you figure they voted out of anger? A 50 year old in 2018 would mean they were born late 60's early 70s?
    Have you interacted with these folks?

They just needed someone to blame for their ills (well, anyone or thing besides themselves). Small Mitts stoked the fire and gave them their "enemy".

And you are correct: it wasn't just anger. Greed, ego, ignorance all played their parts.

A 16 year old can...
    - Get a job
    - Drive
    - Get an abortion
    - File for legal emancipation
    - Consent to sex with adults
    - Marry (with parental consent)
    - Pay taxes

Yes I believe 16 year olds should get the right to vote. However, rights come with responsibilities and I believe that the age to enlist should be lowered to 16 (maybe not combat roles).

Am I being fair here?
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-02-21 at 04:45 AM.

I get the feeling Republicans would be all for this if it was overwhelmingly positive that most people 16 would vote for them. But since we know there demographic is dying and the other sides is growing I get the feeling they would rather wait those 2 years for most of those people to be voting against them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I get the feeling Republicans would be all for this if it was overwhelmingly positive that most people 16 would vote for them. But since we know there demographic is dying and the other sides is growing I get the feeling they would rather wait those 2 years for most of those people to be voting against them.
    Hence the oh so predictable push back in this thread when older folks are brought up.

If you're old enough to work and be taxed you should be able to vote.

They sure haven't acted like it.
    "I disagree with old people, so they must hate their children."

My only issue with the older demographic relates to social security being the third rail of politics, when it obviously needs some reform, but I can't blame them for planning their retirement around it, and needing to vote for it now.

Hence the oh so predictable push back in this thread when older folks are brought up.
    It's always amazing to me how young right wingers will so fervently argue that young people are all idiots and that we should all be listening to the old farts.

I mean, the world is changing rapidly, most of the things that my parents told me I would understand when I got older just turned out to be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    It's always amazing to me how young right wingers will so fervently argue that young people are all idiots and that we should all be listening to the old farts.

I mean, the world is changing rapidly, most of the things that my parents told me I would understand when I got older just turned out to be completely wrong.
    The Old Farts turned out they are just as dumb as teens if not worse.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure it does, until you turn 70 and realise you are not a dribbling mess and can still make informed decisions. If this thread has shown me nothing else, it's that young leftists hate old people.
    No, we don't Society hates old people, if you really cared about your elderly then give them better healthcare period which is something the left was fighting for.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2018-02-21 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    A 16 year old can...
    - Get a job
    - Drive
    - Get an abortion
    - File for legal emancipation
    - Consent to sex with adults
    - Marry (with parental consent)
    - Pay taxes

Yes I believe 16 year olds should get the right to vote. However, rights come with responsibilities and I believe that the age to enlist should be lowered to 16 (maybe not combat roles).

Am I being fair here?
    Not sure of the legalities in the US, but in Australia:
    - You require adult consent to work during school hours
    - Driving age is 17 and that is provisional
    - it is illegal to have sex with adults if you are under 18
    - Marriage under the age of 18 is allowed in exceptional circumstances and requires court consent.

In short, a typical 16 year old in not considered a typical adult and thus have limited freedoms. If you being restricted due to you age, your lack of development, should you be relied upon to make informed decisions like who runs the country?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say 16 year olds today are far more informed than the general public. The amount of time they spend online and reading the depressing state of the world is really astonishing. The amount of maturity that society expects out of them as well is another factor.

This is good. It also causes high schools to introduce a "Hey, this is how our government system works. Learn it." It is a lot more than what a lot of adults know.

In short, a typical 16 year old in not considered a typical adult and thus have limited freedoms. If you being restricted due to you age, your lack of development, should you be relied upon to make informed decisions like who runs the country?
    Informed Decisions don't make me laugh. In Practice all of this talk about Wisdom/Informed is pure stupidity and has been debunked multiple times.

Adults have shown they are just as Unreliable to make good/informed decisions.

Not sure of the legalities in the US, but in Australia:
    - You require adult consent to work during school hours
    - Driving age is 17 and that is provisional
    - it is illegal to have sex with adults if you are under 18
    - Marriage under the age of 18 is allowed in exceptional circumstances and requires court consent.

There is no national age of consent, but most states have it around 16. Sixteen years olds can get a driver's license, at least if I'm not mistaken. Marriage is allowed at 15-17 but must involve parental consent.

And you are part of the country, you have rights that are extended to others who have the right to vote and can work and pay taxes. So yes, I do believe they should have the right to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    I would say 16 year olds today are far more informed than the general public. The amount of time they spend online and reading the depressing state of the world is really astonishing. The amount of maturity that society expects out of them as well is another factor.
    Exactly, plenty of teen are smart enough to make informed decisions.

This is good. It also causes high schools to introduce a "Hey, this is how our government system works. Learn it." It is a lot more than what a lot of adults know.
    Adults have failed U.S. kids they are getting less informed, Moving down the age to 16 makes sense, helps them learn the political process much earlier.