Page 1 of 45
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rift PRIME launching March the 7th

Some nice news for anyone waiting for news of Rift Prime, just announced today was the launch date of March the 7th.

Go Back to Where It All Began! A brand new type of server is coming to RIFT on March 7. Are you ready to take a journey through RIFT’s history?

Over the years, nostalgia begins to waft its siren’s call, and we start to long for the good old days, when life was new and all possibilities lay before us. The RIFT Prime service is here to answer that call! We first started talking about a new server type in 2017, and formally announced RIFT Prime in this Development Letter.

The first Prime server will return us to the launch of RIFT, when the level cap was 50 and all of the great Dragons awaited. Over time, we will unlock new content and levels together!

There are no boosts, no supply crates, no equipment, no bags on the RIFT Prime in-game store. This is the world of RIFT before Free-to-Play!
    Full Release: http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2...-march-7-2018/

It's Rift, who cares.

This is still gonna be a shitty "current game stripped down" version of their servers right? Not actual old school servers?

That is pretty much what is gonna decide if I play or laugh as rift dies again.

The Good Old days with all the old talent builds and-oh wait.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garzos View Post
    as soon as i saw this post i laughed
    What?

On topic: I don't see this going anywhere, RIFT wasn't that popular of a game to begin with.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

5+ Year Old Account
    Rift nostalgia is a thing? The game was released less than 7 years ago.

Before F2P, but it's F2P yeah?

Do people even still play Rift? I thought this game was a lost cause awhile ago.

7 Year old MMO that has launched 3 expansion's (One expansion barely counting as a content patch) is now doing P2p Classic Servers.......

First they say this
    There are no boosts, no supply crates, no equipment, no bags on the RIFT Prime in-game store. This is the world of RIFT before Free-to-Play!
    and then right under it post this
    The RIFT Primogenitor Pack

We know some of you want the edge on Prime access. Get your account flagged ahead of time and ready to roll out on March 7th!

Available on the RIFT Web Store at $29.99, the RIFT Primogenitor Pack contains:

30 days of Patron access for the purchaser
    2 voucher codes for 15 days of Patron access each (30 days total). Invite your friends to play, apply it to your alts or use the time yourself!
    A mount out of the ordinary: Armored White War Tiger
    A title exclusive to Prime players: Primogenitor
    Cloak of the Void
    A new Prime portrait frame
    Cash Grab much..

Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-02-21 at 05:23 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually had a dream about Rift recently and how awesome the first expansion was before they went full idiot. As someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about the game in the current state, this is good news. I will play it.

10+ Year Old Account

This is the mount you get from the optional Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Cash Grab much..
    They're not even bothering to be subtle about it either. It's a naked, unashamed cash grab to gouge whatever goodwill from former players Trion have left for as much money as they can.

What I really don't get though is who wanted this? I get wanting to play older versions of a game, I've always thought of it like going back to play an earlier entry in a series you love. Naturally with MMO's that's typically impossible, since the older versions are usually lost forever when they're updated. Rift Prime doesn't scratch the itch these people are looking to soothe, they want Rift as it was back in the early days, not a trimmed down version of the current game.

I know Trion are aiming to recapture some of the players who left Rift a long time ago, but they left for a reason. The lack of build diversity especially being a deal breaker for most people. Not addressing those underlying reasons and still hoping to lure them back is a doomed enterprise from the outset.

But paying a subscription to play what is, in essence, a more limited version of a game that is otherwise free is something I don't get. It's treating your customers with nothing but contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    But paying a subscription to play what is, in essence, a more limited version of a game that is otherwise free is something I don't get. It's treating your customers with nothing but contempt.
    This really does sum it up and I only see this working out one of two ways.

1) It falls on its face and this is the nail that seals Rifts coffin.

2) They milk this for a bit and then Rift's coffin gets sealed. (Even adding the cash shop at a later date).

No matter how this turns out the ending will be the same and its sad really because Rift was a good game. This all screams final attempt to milk Rift before it closes shop.

The fucked up part is that this is the most content Rift has seen in ages and its just them having a stripped down version of the current game that's only being played on the original.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-02-21 at 07:20 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    I actually had a dream about Rift recently and how awesome the first expansion was before they went full idiot. As someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about the game in the current state, this is good news. I will play it.
    It's all the same mechanics/souls of current Rift in a more limited version of the game rather than what WoW Classic is (suppose to be).

Since the OP just copy pasted from the site let me tell you what this is.

This is NOT full classic. It's the current game downgraded in a patch. Even the soul trees are the current ones so build diversity will be just as awful.

Their excuse for using the current client is bugfixing which anyone with an ounce of common sense knows is BS since other games have been able to use older clients or modified versions of older ones just fine.

This is using a subscription. It's essentially them trying to milk whatever they can out of this game.

They claim players wanted this when I remember reading that players wanted proper classic Rift. Not some abomination like this.

In short and it's rare I tell people what to do with their money so forgive me here but don't do it. There are a few better games with a sub model worth that monthly fee imo. A lazy version of Rift classic which isn't even properly classic is not one of them.

Nor does it deserve peoples money when they can't even be bothered to actually provide what the community wanted and instead claim that they wanted a messed up version of the classic game with their "statistics". I would advise throwing that money into a sub game worth the quality such as FF14 or WoW.

Funny how they call it "before F2P" and then roll out a $30 pack literally made to set you up for Prime. Something tells me if this cash grab fails then that's it for Rift.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-21 at 08:24 PM.

I agree. I had really high hopes for this until I realized it wasn't using the original soul trees. I would have happily paid for a sub or a pack for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Funny how they call it "before F2P" and then roll out a $30 pack literally made to set you up for Prime. Something tells me if this cash grab fails then that's it for Rift.
    At this point I think the mods should just remove the Rift sub form since its literally one poster keeping it alive and he leaves out massive chunks of info or try's to mislead people.

I feel no matter how this turns out that's it for Rift, The difference is how long it will take. If this falls on its face it will be quick but if they can milk it slightly I give it another year to two years max.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    I agree. I had really high hopes for this until I realized it wasn't using the original soul trees. I would have happily paid for a sub or a pack for that.
    I wouldn't. It would still have been a shoddy client. I don't reward laziness personally.

Oh and there's no EU servers at launch last I heard so enjoy your 100-200 MS depending on location.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    At this point I think the mods should just remove the Rift sub form since its literally one poster keeping it alive and he leaves out massive chunks of info or try's to mislead people.

I feel no matter how this turns out that's it for Rift, The difference is how long it will take. If this falls on its face it will be quick but if they can milk it slightly I give it another year to two years max.
    I spoke to Chaud about it and he said it's low priority.

But to be honest there are a couple of sub forums here that are inactive and could just be thrown into a Megathread.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post

This is the mount you get from the optional Pack
    That's...just the loyalty reward mount, no?

Still waiting on more specifics regarding the servers, but given that we're apparently using current skills/talents I'm not terribly interested in re-experiencing the old content.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFilth View Post
    What?

On topic: I don't see this going anywhere, RIFT wasn't that popular of a game to begin with.
    Was very popular at first actually.

Then it went F2P and we started seeing the cash shop get more bloated over quality/bug free content being released.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...just the loyalty reward mount, no?

Still waiting on more specifics regarding the servers, but given that we're apparently using current skills/talents I'm not terribly interested in re-experiencing the old content.
    That is one ugly tiger. I'm not even impressed by this "loyalty" reward.