10+ Year Old Account
    Logan Lucky (2017): 8/10

Highly enjoyable heist movie, loved the setting and the characters, especially Driver's. Didn't overstay its welcome and managed the humor to be just right.

The Shape of Water - 7/10

All be it a good film, but it was rather strange. Then again, what else would you expect from Toro. The general story line was good but there are some really awkward or hard to watch scenes that left me thinking 'what did I just watch?', and 'did I really enjoy that?'. Would I watch it again? Probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call Me By Your Name (2017): 8/10

I really wanted to give it a lower score, mainly because Moonlight was still fresh in my memory, and the prospect of watching another gay romance film that is also nominated for an Oscar seemed saturating, but it is a beautiful film through and through. My issues stem mainly from the portrayal of the main characters as pretentious and kinda hollow. Yeah they are upper class and extremely educated, but it felt to me that it's the only things they have going for them. However, the final act is absolutely impeccable, I just couldn't breathe.

The choice of Sufjan Stevens for the soundtrack is also an indication that the people in charge of this movie know their craft.

Moonlight is still the better gay movie of the two though.

- - - Updated - - -

Coco (2017): 9/10

This was a very welcome surprise, and possibly the greatest animated movie in almost a decade.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-02-20 at 05:05 PM.

Black Panther: 9/10
    Loved all of the performances, my favorites were Killmonger and Okoye I loved how she was loyal to her post, in so much as she would be against T'Challa and her partner plus it's MICHONNE ffs. Really solid overall, visually outstanding and a solid standalone that still manages to tie into the MCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Black Panther 8/10

It was really good but I have an issue. Coogler in his rush to make everyone else seem pretty cool seemingly forgot to make Black Panther himself pretty cool. Still it looks great, Killmonger is definitely one of the best super-villains we've seen and Shuri is the best Disney princess ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Under Sandet [Land of Mine] (2015): 8/10

Very poignant and skillfully made Danish film about post WW2 Denmark using German soldiers to clear 2.2 million mines on the west coast. Captivating and authentic from start to finish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Black Panther 8/10

It was really good but I have an issue. Coogler in his rush to make everyone else seem pretty cool seemingly forgot to make Black Panther himself pretty cool. Still it looks great, Killmonger is definitely one of the best super-villains we've seen and Shuri is the best Disney princess ever.
    Basically my impression of the movie, I agree with 8/10. Black Panther was sidelined in his own film as a hero (not as a king so much). I felt much of the last act was rather uninspired and caught myself caring more about the supporting cast. Also those armoured rhinos were ridiculous.

Shape of Water 9/10
    A beautifully crafted and intellectually touching film, wonderfully complex and thought-provoking without being overdone. I deduct a point for the disconcerting up-in-the-air feeling it left me with.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2018-02-21 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Square (2017): 6/10

It has a captivating quality about it, you feel compelled to see what the next scene will be about, but ultimately it isn't as striking as it's striving to be. Black comedies aren't really my thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Coco (2017): 9/10

This was a very welcome surprise, and possibly the greatest animated movie in almost a decade.
    What did you like about it?

The Shape of Water (2017) - 7/10 (B)

A modern (relatively speaking) romantic fairy tale that could only spring from the mind of Guillermo del Toro. Considering how many Oscars it was nominated for, and the fact that it was directed by the aforementioned director, it almost goes without saying that the movie is stylistically and technically wonderful. The production design, the score, the cinematography, editing, directing, it's just wonderful.

I'd already heard that the movie's message was pretty politically relevant for the current climate, but having seen it it's even more obvious, and it certainly gives it a big leg-up at the Oscars over Three Billboards, which, while also have a relevant message, has gotten a not-insignificant backlash which might hurt it. Awards and politics aside, I liked the message and how it was interwoven with the 60's time-period.

My personal issue with the movie is that it did not excite me very much. Sure, not every movie has to be thrilling or get your pulse up, but a movie should make you feel some emotion strongly, and this movie did not do that to me, which is unfortunate.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2018-02-21 at 09:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    What did you like about it?
    It has that oldschool Disney feelgood quality about it, family values, great themes and a bittersweet message.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    It has that oldschool Disney feelgood quality about it, family values, great themes and a bittersweet message.
    Aha, gotcha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Toivon tuolla puolen [The Other Side of Hope] (2017): 6.5/10

An unrealistically humane, compassionate and dry portrayal of Finnish people made for a very enjoyable watch. The characters are so unnatural and surrealistic it's hard not to smile during most of the scenes. Too bad the plot doesn't really go anywhere to the point of being disappointed by how flat it felt by the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Panther
    * Spoiler free review*

Finally saw the movie, a little later that usual but there you are.

I had my worries before I went into this movie so my expectations were low. Black Panther has always been up there with Doctor Strange in Marvel comic heroes I couldn't give two craps about.

Overall I enjoyed it. It was so much more fun than I expected it to be. It also managed to fit all the characters in so well as well as give them time to grow. Sometimes in movies characters don't get to develop too much in such a short time, but I literally cared about everyone in this movie.

The movie itself looked beautiful the sights and the colours were so good. the culture they portrayed and Wakanda itself looks totally unique but at the same time you felt it was apart of Africa.

Michael B. Jordan was awesome, probably the highlight. I cannot remember the last villain I really sympathised with and at the same time felt this much development. I would probably say the last villian like this was The Joker from The Dark Knight, who also you felt had a good motive with twisted intentions that seemed good but the way he wwent about going about them was bad,

The fights were great I loved that last action scene. That felt like something out of the comics.

Also I liked the more cultural music Black Panther portrayed. I was so into it. Then again I am a sucker for that sort of world music.

Okay the bad stuff. While not too much. I thought the movie was a bit choppy in places mostly around the begining, also there was the first fight scene in Nigera with the black PAnther that I couldnt make out a single thing of what was happening, because it was so dark. I am not sure if it was just the cinema I was in but I had trouble following it and thankfully it wasnt like that during the whole movie.

Besides that great movie, and I'll see it again to. Certinally the best Marvel movie since Civil War.

8/10
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-02-22 at 07:37 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving Vincent (2017): 8/10

This surely is one of the most beautiful animated films I've ever seen. Every single frame is a goddamn masterpiece. Unfortunately though, while they did go way and beyond visually, the plot is kinda dull, uninspired and miniscule. I'm a fan of talkie whodunits, but what a missed opportunity this is. This could have been so much more for fuck's sakes. Even Clint Mansell seems under-utilized. It's like they created the art first, then wrote the script in 15 minutes to give it a backstory.

Van Gogh's life and death is an extremely interesting subject matter, how they managed to make it seem boring is beyond me. I'm so mad right now, this legitimately could have been one of the greatest animated movies of all time, and it definitely could snag the Oscar from right under Coco's nose. They blew it though.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-02-22 at 07:42 PM.

Call Me By Your Name (2017) - 5/10 (C-)

Didn't grab me, I found it quite dull. Northern Italy during summer time is beautiful, it's got that going for it. Otherwise, I suppose it just wasn't the movie for me.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2018-02-22 at 11:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nightworld (2017) - 4/10

For the first 45 minutes, or so, of the movie I was thinking "this isn't bad, wonder why it gets such low marks". And then the story takes a turn and the whole thing turns to crap. The acting was decent and the production value was pretty good and the beginning had me intrigued. Shame that the writing takes a big dump about half way through.

- - - Updated - - -

Mute (2018) - 8/10

Really enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the movie. The story was interesting though nothing earth shattering. Solid production. Good acting. Some people will probably find it boring but I found it to be well worth the time to watch.

The Lodgers - 1/10

Shockingly bad. I know children that could write a more substantial and meaningful story and I am not even kidding. It gets one point for it's artistic direction; I like what they tried to do visually.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Death of Stalin (2017): 7.5/10

First of all, fuck this movie for making me feel sympathetic towards excrements of human existence like Lavrenti Beria. That said, beneath the satiric facade lies a horrifying historical film about the chaos and barbarism of the Soviet Union, which is very interesting in its own right because no one tried to do anything this blunt about it. We've had people like Tarkovsky throwing hints in his movies in an allegory sort of way, but nothing this in your face. It's kinda neat how they managed to portray the complete disregard for human life in a black comedy sort of way, with Ianucci's dry and blunt dialogue, authentic clothing and great historical portrayals paving the way towards something unique and engaging. Every character contributed something satirical, and with greats like Buscemi delivering flawlessly line after line, it was a laugh a minute. The real star of the show however was Isaacs and his incredible scene presence, portraying straight shooter and hero of the red army, field marshal Zhukov.

I'm overall disappointed with it though, it seemed to me that the jokes kinda lose momentum after a while to the point they devolve into everyone calling each other funny names. Still, if you want dry humor and a sharp tongue from extremely talented actors, or are curious about one of the darkest periods of Russian (and human) history, this is basically a must-watch.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-02-24 at 10:24 AM.

The Shape of Water 9/10

The best work of Guillermo Del Toro by far.

the simple fact that they managed to actually get this movie made is in and of itself a huge achievement. but it was also beautiful in every way imaginable. brilliant performances all around, and the production design especially was spectacular. the sets were almost like actual characters in the movie.
    easily one of the best movies of the year, probably competing with blade runner for the top1 spot for me.

I'm so glad one of my favourite directors working today is finally getting recognition by the academy. If only Dennis Villeneuve got the same

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Call Me By Your Name (2017) - 5/10 (C-)

Didn't grab me, I found it quite dull. Northern Italy during summer time is beautiful, it's got that going for it. Otherwise, I suppose it just wasn't the movie for me.

finally someone else who doesnt fawn over call me by your name.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-02-25 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black Panther: 9 ~ 10 Letitia Wright and Michael B. Jordan were a lot of fun to watch. Some of the CGI was wonky, and I enjoyed the quieter moments more than the overblown action stuffs. If the entire movie was just Shuri licking frozen yogurt off a spoon for two hours while wearing a Black Panther tanktop and panties, with images of Killmonger projected onto a wall behind her, it would have been the best movie of the year so far.

The Commuter: 5 ~ 10 Liam Neeson is on a train and things happen.

The Shape of Water: 8 ~ 10 I really liked Splash with fishsticks, but I wanted to love it. Hawkins and Jenkins were wonderful.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi