Deleted

Blind man scared of dogs to get UK's first guide horse

A blind man is to become the first person in the UK to get a guide horse, because he is scared of dogs.
    Mohammed Salim Patel, 23, has a degenerative condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa, and had given up hope of having a guide animal as he has a phobia of dogs.

But in a couple of years he'll have his own miniature horse to help him around the streets of his hometown Blackburn, in Lancashire.
    Digby, an eight-month-old American miniature horse, is being trained for Mr Patel by Katy Smith, from Northallerton in North Yorkshire.

His training will take another couple of years but Digby will be able to help his owner in much the same way as a guide dog.
    "I have always loved horses but it is good to see the benefits for people who are visually impaired," Mr Patel told the Lancashire Telegraph.

"He needs to get used to being out and about in Blackburn.
    "I also think I will have to give myself an extra hour to try to get around my daily routine as people will all want to come and see it and touch it."

https://news.sky.com/story/blind-man...horse-11239836

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    That's adorable.

How is going to get that horse in the subway or on a bus?
    Why not just ride your horse instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It's a mini horse/pony. It cant really support a fully grown male for long periods of time.

That's cool.

And on the plus side, equines have a life span of 25-30+ years, unlike dogs that are half that.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-02-21 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    an eight-month-old American miniature horse, is being trained for Mr Patel by Katy Smith, from Northallerton in North Yorkshire.
    Great, more immigrants taking away jobs from hard working british dogs!

Because guide animals are also used INSIDE buildings where he goes. I guess having a tiny horse is the only option or something and that horse is too small to really carry him without getting exhausted quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Because guide animals are also used INSIDE buildings where he goes. I guess having a tiny horse is the only option or something and that horse is too small to really carry him without getting exhausted quickly.
    I dont know about that, they are still pretty damn strong.

At least one horse power in that.. horse.

Deleted
    lovely story, made me smile thanks

Just wait till it drops a deuce in a shopping centre.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I dont know about that, they are still pretty damn strong.

At least one horse power in that.. horse.
    I hope you're joking but many may not realize it; just to dispel misinformation....

The Horsepower unit was developed based on a full sized horse. When converted to watts it's a little over 745 watts.

Mini horses only grow to a fraction of the size/weight of a full sized horse and can only pull a fraction of the weight. It's only recommended small children ride them at most, and even then they aren't trained for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Just wait till it drops a deuce in a shopping centre.
    Just like guide-dogs, they are trained to poop in specific locations.

I read the title and before clicking, I was like OOOO Please let it be a mini pony. Then I saw the pic and was like Yes. I want a guide mini pig.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    I hope you're joking but many may not realize it; just to dispel misinformation....

The Horsepower unit was developed based on a full sized horse. When converted to watts it's a little over 745 watts.

Mini horses only grow to a fraction of the size/weight of a full sized horse and can only pull a fraction of the weight. It's only recommended small children ride them at most, and even then they aren't trained for it.

Just like guide-dogs, they are trained to poop in specific locations.
    I can't believe you are taking him seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I can't believe you are taking him seriously...
    I'm not...since, u know, I know better. But others may. That's how misinformation starts/spreads.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    I'm not...since, u know, I know better. But others may. That's how misinformation starts/spreads.
    Then you should also state one horse power is also the amount of power sustainable by a single horse and they can burst to about 15hp. And that humans can burst around 5hp. This is very important information because maybe he only needs to ride the horse for a block or two.

Deleted
    Guide Horses have been around for 10+ years