Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    I am advocating a solution while the problem is fixed.
    If you really wanted the problem fixed then Start by Reducing Gun Violence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Americans will never be safe until every man, woman, and child is carrying a firearm at all time.

It's the only way.
    Naw, it won't be "safe" until we start locking up mentally incompetent people that pose a threat to society.

Let's face it - every single one of these "shooters" are fucking whackjobs. And a lot of them were on "meds". Maybe we should quite handing out drugs, such as Adderall and Zoloft, like candy and quite thinking "oh, here, just take this pill and everything will be fine."?

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I think they're being used as political tools if you ask me. I understand the frustration and anger and hurt they're probably feeling, but for CNN to have interviews with them for going on a week now advocating for gun control is a bit beyond the pale.

You're not going to see any of these children on CNN advocating for arming teachers, for example. It's not about giving a voice to children in pain, it's about giving a voice to children that advocate for the preferred policy prescription. and it's troublesome to say the least.
    "getting used as political tools", is no different than saying, "it is not the right time to talk about this".

It is bullshit, quite frankly.

The only people politicizing any shooting are the NRA and their sycophants.

Naw, it won't be "safe" until we start locking up mentally incompetent people that pose a threat to society.
    Hi, I was one of those "mentally incompetent" people. I was clinically diagnosed with major depression and could have gotten a gun, but absolutely should have never been allowed to. Not because I wanted to shoot up my school, but because I absolutely posed a threat to myself and potentially others around me were I armed at certain points during my fight against depression.

Why should I have been locked up, rather than simply prevented from ever purchasing a firearm so that I could get the therapy and support I needed to help me deal with my issues?

Why do you want to literally criminalize mental illness?

Let's face it - every single one of these "shooters" are fucking whackjobs. And a lot of them were on "meds". Maybe we should quite handing out drugs, such as Adderall and Zoloft, like candy and quite thinking "oh, here, just take this pill and everything will be fine."?
    You're literally disgusting as a human being and have no idea how medication works.

Again, you're looking to blame everything except the ease with which Americans can access weapons, and specifically assault-style weapons designed for the sole purpose of killing and/or inflicting the maximum amount of damage on other people.

I get that you value guns over human life, and I hope you realize how supremely fucked up that moral stance is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Could you be more callous? Yes, American schools are dangerous. You have armed security and many have metal detectors and so forth, just to try and mitigate the threat levels. I have never seen any of that stuff up here in Canada, because our schools are safe, and those kinds of measures are not necessary.
    Could you be more disingenuous? That school - as are most American schools - was not "dangerous". Those kids went to school there every day and never encountered any "danger" - until the day a WHACKJOB decided to specifically go there and kill people. That doesn't make the actual school dangerous in any way.

10+ Year Old Account

In this one post, you've;

A> suggested we should proactively imprison people "just in case"
    B> demonstrated a complete failure to understand mental health
    C> argued against treatment, for some godforsaken reason

Is there any particular reason you're trying to out-do Alex Jones for crazypants nonsense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you suggesting locking up mentally ill people before they commit a crime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you be more disingenuous? That school - as are most American schools - was not "dangerous". Those kids went to school there every day and never encountered any "danger" - until the day a WHACKJOB decided to specifically go there and kill people. That doesn't make the actual school dangerous in any way.
    When you just had more than a dozen fatalities, you've lost any ground for claiming there was no danger. This is seriously like arguing that "cyanide isn't dangerous, drinking cyanide is dangerous!"

And then promoting that we keep more cyanide around kids. Y'know, to protect them. From cyanide poisoning.

"It wasn't dangerous, except for all the shooting and deaths." Come the fuck on.

None of what you just said Reduces Gun Violence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    None of what you said Reduces Gun Violence.
    Guns are not violent - people are.

So, there are literally MILLIONS of guns in this country. If the weapons were violent, then why is there not multiple mass shooting ever single day? Because it takes a PERSON to wield that weapon - any weapon - to actually commit the "violence".

Let's say some of you get your wish and ALL guns are removed from the USA. Do you actually think that is going to stop PEOPLE from committing violence? Where there is a will, there is a way. What is to stop the PERSON from going down to the local Home Depot and buying a battery-powered nail gun and using that? Or an axe? Do you know how much damage that Cruz could have done if he pulled the fire alarm - as he did - and just ran down the hallway hacking at people? He might not have killed as many people (but he may have), but he certainly would have maimed quite a few.

Look at the June 17 London Bridge attack. The terrorists killed 8 people and wounded 48 with a car and knives. Was that Car Violence or Knife Violence? No - it was 2 PEOPLE.

Prior to Columbine, there were very few shootings in schools in America. The few that had happened were very spaced out as well as much less consequential.

It's not the guns - it is the PERSON with the gun.

And as for the bullshit narrative that this ONLY happens in the USA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnenden_school_shooting
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2018-02-21 at 10:07 PM.

I don't think anyone has argued that school shootings literally never happen elsewhere.

But they're not a regular occurrence in any developed, western nation. Except for America.

Let's say some of you get your wish and ALL guns are removed from the USA. Do you actually think that is going to stop PEOPLE from committing violence?
    No, because that's now how laws work.

But I think, and we have enough data from other countries and even from localities in the US, that such a move would drastically reduce gun violence, including mass shootings.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Again, if this is your position, why do we have laws at all? Folks are going to break them anyways, so why fucking bother?

What is to stop the PERSON from going down to the local Home Depot and buying a battery-powered nail gun and using that? Or an axe?
    Out of curiosity, what's the kill counts per-year for mass battery-powered nail gun attacks? Or mass axe attacks?

Just so we can compare to mass shootings. For science.

Do you know how much damage that Cruz could have done if he pulled the fire alarm - as he did - and just ran down the hallway hacking at people?
    Except he didn't, so your little hypothetical is quaint. Are you trying to say that an axe is just as destructive and capable of inflicting harm in a short period of time as a gun?

Again, just asking. For science.

He might not have killed as many people (but he may have), but he certainly would have maimed quite a few.
    Cool, so because they can be less efficient at killing others with less efficient weapons, let's just not do anything about the more efficient methods of killing that have led to mass shootings being a regular fucking occurrence in the US.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-02-21 at 10:12 PM.

Unfortunately that is correct. Eliminating guns won't end anger nor hatred, won't end jealousy nor envy, and won't end anything else. Again, there is no single simple solution that will fix the mass shootings problem, to say we should pass out meds like candy is correct, but that's not the main issue either. There are far more root causes than most people think and each one needs to be addressed to even have a shot at fixing this.

I don't know if it's going to be less guns, more guns, less meds, more meds, more talking our feelings out like hippies, or having thicker skin and "dealing with it", but something does need to be done first before we can begin to try and fix it. By doing this back and forth circle jerk we're all in doesn't fix anything, especially with some of what is being said by many here (including myself).

At this point we're all angry and wanting to call each other something without actually thinking about real solutions, and they have to be many solutions and not just one. Thinking one will do it is ignorant, and that includes anyone that came up with one and only one solution as THE solution to fix it all.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

So, there are literally MILLIONS of guns in this country. If the weapons were violent, then why is there not multiple mass shooting ever single day? Because it takes a PERSON to wield that weapon - any weapon - to actually commit the "violence".

Let's say some of you get your wish and ALL guns are removed from the USA. Do you actually think that is going to stop PEOPLE from committing violence? Where there is a will, there is a way. What is to stop the PERSON from going down to the local Home Depot and buying a battery-powered nail gun and using that? Or an axe? Do you know how much damage that Cruz could have done if he pulled the fire alarm - as he did - and just ran down the hallway hacking at people? He might not have killed as many people (but he may have), but he certainly would have maimed quite a few.

Look at the June 17 London Bridge attack. The terrorists killed 8 people and wounded 48 with a car and knives. Was that Car Violence or Knife Violence? No - it was 2 PEOPLE.

Prior to Columbine, there were very few shootings in schools in America. The few that had happened were very spaced out as well as much less consequential.

Nobody is Arguing it never happens in other countries, it's the FREQUENCY.
    And again the Goal is about Reducing Gun Violence which other countries have succeeded in doing. Be reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say some of you get your wish and ALL guns are removed from the USA. Do you actually think that is going to stop PEOPLE from committing violence?
    It would reduce gun violence. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that all violence and murder would stop. This is just a strawman that is easy for you to argue against.

That bullshit narrative is a red herring you created. Nuance is hard, but the frequency is the narrative, not the "ONLY HAPPENS" nonsense you try to peddle.

The argument isn't that violence won't happen. The argument is that guns, especially the gun of choice used in these shootingS, make it exponentially easier to have access to, and ultimately commit, violence.
    Last edited by NYC17; 2018-02-22 at 03:31 PM. Reason: gramma!

Donald Trump Jr seems to come after his father. Stable genius and not a deplorable at all.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

in that case why not toughening up your background check to keep the gun away from the "fucking whackjobs." like i don't know....

94% of americans

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    in that case why not toughening up your background check to keep the gun away from the "fucking whackjobs." like i don't know....

94% of americans
    I am perfectly fine with that. I think the gun-show loopholes, in particular, are pretty fucked up. I think private sales, to a degree, are pretty fucked up.
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2018-02-21 at 10:32 PM.

Seeing as people are always going to find a way to kill others and all, I think we need to introduce legislation to allow people to legally own nuclear weaponry. It only makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This is the thing, people pretend there is no national consensus about gun control . . . but it seems there is. The broad majority wants it.
    So Trump just Admitted Age and Mental Health is what he's going for. (most likely)