Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    More of the laughing stock than those countries that have allowed strict gun control only to be rolled over by the government?
    In what fantasy land that ever happen. Are you that paranoid that your country might enslave you somehow? By attacking the free press, the DOJ and the FBI, Donald Trump is a much greater threat to your institution than any shadow government you might be scared off.

If you don't believe democrats, believe George w Bush, even him condemn Trump's treatment of the free press. Don't be paranoid. Your best weapon against a bad government is not guns, it's your vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BadguyNotBadGuy View Post
    its pretty amazing how people in america are like "strict gun regulations would reduce the amount of children (and adults) that die every single fucking day in this country by huge margins, but... BUT... i like guns, and those lives arent more important than my like of guns"
    Except almost nobody says that, save a few vocal nutters.

I like guns. I really do. And better gun control is definitely something that's needed. It was frightening to me when I first picked up mine in Nevada. The criteria was pretty much 1) Have some money, 2) Don't have an active warrant for arrest. Which is like, a lot of people. At least California when I had one there had waiting periods and better followup and background checks.

That said, most gun owners will likely be just fine with gun control legislation. Just because there's a few backwater ammo dump guys yelling loudly doesn't mean everyone feels that way. And 'gun control' doesn't mean removing to taking away guns. Just better management to start. it's something that will take decades to get under control. Everyone seems to feel like "Do nothing" or "Ban all pew pew forever for everyone" with nothing in between.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by BadguyNotBadGuy View Post
    its pretty amazing how people in america are like "strict gun regulations would reduce the amount of children (and adults) that die every single fucking day in this country by huge margins, but... BUT... i like guns, and those lives arent more important than my like of guns"
    How exactly would " strict gun regulations " work in the United States??

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    In what fantasy land that ever happen. Are you that paranoid that your country might enslave you somehow? By attacking the free press, the DOJ and the FBI, Donald Trump is a much greater threat to your institution than any shadow government you might be scared off.

If you don't believe democrats, believe George w Bush, even him condemn Trump's treatment of the free press. Don't be paranoid. Your best weapon against a bad government is not guns, it's your vote.
    Tell that to everyone who supported Hillary beast who WON the popular vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Except almost nobody says that, save a few vocal nutters.

I like guns. I really do. And better gun control is definitely something that's needed. It was frightening to me when I first picked up mine in Nevada. The criteria was pretty much 1) Have some money, 2) Don't have an active warrant for arrest. Which is like, a lot of people. At least California when I had one there had waiting periods and better followup and background checks.

That said, most gun owners will likely be just fine with gun control legislation. Just because there's a few backwater ammo dump guys yelling loudly doesn't mean everyone feels that way. And 'gun control' doesn't mean removing to taking away guns. Just better management to start. it's something that will take decades to get under control. Everyone seems to feel like "Do nothing" or "Ban all pew pew forever for everyone" with nothing in between.
    Yes. there are some very weak states when it comes to the purchase or carry. I would agree that anyone having been convicted of ANY type of violent crime no matter how minor fail background for ownership or carry. Any conviction misdemeanor or above for not violent crime should fail background as well. Simply taking everyones guns away can work in piddling little countries with a tenth our population. Not here.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to everyone who supported Hillary beast who WON the popular vote.
    i'm... confused. What are you trying to say.

Hillary Clinton had more overall votes - check
    Hillary Clinton still lost the election due to the system of electoral college, proper to the US - check

Are you saying that in the end, you vote don't matter? is that the message. Well in a democracy, sometimes your camp doesn't win. That doesn't invalid the democracy.

Unless you meant to say that the electoral college system is BS, in which i totally agree. I'm all in favor of 1 man (or women) = 1 vote. period.

Tell me more how guns are bought for protection from whatever.
    No, they are bought because the buyers like guns and everything else is usually just an excuse.
    Until the next shooting, dear posters.

Of all the Eurotrashy threads we've had here, I think this one might actually the stankiest. We really need to air this one out.

But yeah, this is nothing new. It sounds a bit paradoxical, but the two biggest beneficiaries in any mass shooting are the gun lobby and the American left. I don't know who loves them more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by madmossy View Post
    You were also highly likely to have your property raided by...bandits....In a modern society today that risk is no longer there...
    Yeah, no. I hate to break it to you, but home invasions are still a thing. People aren't arming themselves because they're afraid of ISIS, they're doing it because a significant portion of the country lives in an area where police response could be measured in dozens of minutes. Even in places that are otherwise safe, all it takes is one person with bad intentions. The risk might not be enough to make a gun a reasonable measure, but some people would just rather be prepared either way.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2018-02-22 at 12:05 AM.

Deleted

More of the laughing stock than those countries that have allowed strict gun control only to be rolled over by the government?
    Yes I'd rather unarmed people weren't being shot in their masses by lunatics who have a right to own a gun, you fucking moron.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Yeah, no. I hate to break it to you, but home invasions are still a thing.
    how many time did it happen to you this week? this month?

Seriously comparing 1791 with 2018? You know you have law enforcement agency now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    What's idiotic is focusing on a problem that doesn't exist. Automatic/assault-type weapons are illegal. If someone modifies an AR-15 to that degree, they're breaking the law. The AR-15 is not the problem.
    Obviously a problem does exist as the AR is being chosen more and more often for mass shootings. It's being done because it's probably the easiest platform to do so, both in terms of use and getting a hold off. Also no one is talking about making the AR even an automatic, there are numerous upgrades available that make it better than out the box, and it's pretty damn efficient out the box.

You can make the argument against larger clips. But the "shoots faster" argument is a red herring. No semi-automatic weapon can shoot faster that the person pulling the trigger. Arguing over a few milliseconds is infantile and detracts away from the real issue(s).
    First off one of the reasons people change out there triggers, to get that lighter, smoother pull, which helps the shooter shoot their gun faster and go more naturally in follow up shots. Regardless my main point was in response to your nonsensical comment about turning a revolver into a grenade launcher.

A base AR is a more efficient killing weapon than a standard hunting rifle especially when attacking multiple targets, it has all the advantages of a regular semi-auto hunting rifle of the same caliber and more. You pretending it does not, is not helping. It bugs me when people on the further left side of the issue provide bad info about guns and gun control, but I get equally irritated with people on the right pretending like there is no issue with the AR or that guns themselves are not at least part of the issue.

Hell I'm not even fully against a law abiding citizen owning one, they are fun to shoot, I just don't want to downplay how dangerous the gun is, and make sure it's not something you just walk into you local Wal-Mart and pick one up along with a six pack of beer of course you can get the AR before you are old enough to buy the gun, but that's just part of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    how many time did it happen to you this week? this month?

Seriously comparing 1791 with 2018? You know you have law enforcement agency now?
    For background I live in a state with a murder rate roughly even with Slovenia and Sweden (1.1-1.3). Statistically safer than Canada and Finland (and yes, France), not that those are bad places either. I don't own a gun and I more-or-less never lock my doors at night or when I leave home.

Back in 2009 in a town nearby, two teenagers armed with machetes broke into a home and butchered a mother and nearly killed a young girl. The father was off at work or something. The family lived on a back road without any close neighbors or street lights or any of that. I don't think the road is even paved. Rural homes are very vulnerable at night.

Law enforcement is great when you live near a police station, but in many places there is no chance that the cops will arrive until everything is done. They exist to investigate crime and prevent it when they can, but it isn't feasible to expect them to rescue you. People are responsible for their own safety at home.

I feel safe enough that I don't have to take those measures, but at least I live in a somewhat-populated area and I have dogs. If someone takes their security more seriously, I don't begrudge them. There are risks to owning a gun but if they want to take their chances with it, rather than being at the total mercy of everyone else, that's their business.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2018-02-22 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    I prefer the world in which nobody has a gun in the first place
    Do you also prefer unicorns that fart rainbows? Because they exist in that world you prefer.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically "An eye for an eye" Yeah, don't expect any less mass shootings this year. Willing to bet that the next mass shooting on TV will be before April!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I believe you meant the EU and all of its problems have become the laughing stock of the world.

You think that masses of school children being shot on regular occasions to the point it's no longer surprising is worse than some political disagreements?

Are you literally fucked in the head?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai182 View Post
    You think that masses of school children being shot on regular occasions to the point it's no longer surprising is worse than some political disagreements?

Are you literally fucked in the head?
    I mean, willingly letting terrorists into your countries due to migration/refugee issues and having them rape, beat, and kill at will while your governments do nothing but be apologists for them......yeah, I’d say the EU ranks right up there as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    Obviously a problem does exist as the AR is being chosen more and more often for mass shootings. It's being done because it's probably the easiest platform to do so, both in terms of use and getting a hold off.
    There is a problem, but it's not the gun or its popularity.

First off one of the reasons people change out there triggers, to get that lighter, smoother pull, which helps the shooter shoot their gun faster and go more naturally in follow up shots.
    Contrary to what you've heard, this does not make the gun more "dangerous". This is merely a point of a preference for some gun owners/enthusiasts. The fact is that most mass shooters actually know very little about firearms. Those that do wouldn't use an AR-15 because every round fired makes it less reliable due to the barrel not being designed for a high of fire.

Regardless my main point was in response to your nonsensical comment about turning a revolver into a grenade launcher.
    I made that analogy to show how silly your argument was. How a weapon can be modded, legally or otherwise, has no relevance to anything.

A base AR is a more efficient killing weapon than a standard hunting rifle especially when attacking multiple targets, it has all the advantages of a regular semi-auto hunting rifle of the same caliber and more.
    This is patently false. The only differences between an AR-15 and a standard hunting rifle are the aesthetic and comfort components that come with it, none of which make it a "more efficient killing machine". They're nothing more that points of contention fueled by the same old anti-gun rhetoric and have no intrinsic value outside of that context. It's the same drivel spewed by outlets like CNN and MSNBC.

It bugs me when people on the further left side of the issue provide bad info about guns and gun control, but I get equally irritated with people on the right pretending like there is no issue with the AR or that guns themselves are not at least part of the issue.
    Guns aren't the issue. People killing people with guns is the issue.

Hell I'm not even fully against a law abiding citizen owning one, they are fun to shoot, I just don't want to downplay how dangerous the gun is, and make sure it's not something you just walk into you local Wal-Mart and pick one up along with a six pack of beer of course you can get the AR before you are old enough to buy the gun, but that's just part of the issue.
    The AR-15's popularity is due to its quality and reliability. But their use in mass shootings is primarily due to "copy cat" mentality and the fact that they "look" scary. As I mentioned before, if mass shooters knew anything about firearms, they wouldn't use an AR-15, much less mod them.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2018-02-22 at 01:33 AM.

Fairly typical to see sales surge after such an event.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why the hell can people BUY assault rifles anyway?

not like the redcoats are going to march back in and take over the colonies again is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightymoo View Post
    1) They're not assault rifles
    2) They're not really any different from a handgun, except they're bigger
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by thealmightymoo View Post
    If you're referring to this incident, the weapon involved wasn't an assault rifle.