Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    I can't speak for every country on that list, but I happen to know that Norway has taken precautions to prevent any re happenings of that one incident that is massively skewing their numbers. US however has the power to do so but opts to not do it.

Finland suffered from multiple shootings that occurred in quick succession because of the "glorification" from the first. Thusly having sort of a catalyst effect.
    Explaining an epidemic doesn't excuse it. No matter the reasons... OP seems to be actually correct here... which is disturbing.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Not sure if this has already been brought up, but this thread has gotten really long, so I apologize if I'm repeating someone else's post.

The average population of the United States from 2009 to 2015 was about 314 million. If, as the Fraud Promotion Research Center indicates, the U.S. suffered 0.089 mass shooting deaths per million people over that period, that would equal 28 people.

I'm not sure from the diagram if the death toll is supposed to be 28 people each year or over the entire seven-year span.

So far in 2018, 34 mass shootings have been reported. In 2014 and 2015, 271 and 333 mass shootings were reported, respectively.

That looks like a hell of a lot higher body count than 0.089 per million.

Nah, it'd still be ridiculously wrong.
    Damn. I did not realize just how much of a lie these numbers really are. I keep forgetting just how dishonest Tijuana is. I mean, he states, very forcefully, things that are just plain false.

Let's check the math: 314 million is the population. .089 per million would be 314 * 0.089, or about 10 percent less than a tenth of 314. 10% less than 31.4 would be... yeah around 28. These statistics for US are just a complete lie. There is no other way to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Unless you can refute my facts with counter facts, I'm not going to accept that they are wrong. I showed my math. Now if you want to refute my math, you need to show yours.

I have attacked ZERO people in this thread. I'm not allowed to do that. I have to choose my words very carefully here, and there just is not room for insults, or else I get banned. Now, what I have done, is VICIOUSLY attack a number of ideas that I disagree with. But there are no rules that disallow that.

But I do find it amusing, that you will lie and say I'm attacking people, and then engage in attacks yourself. That is some MC Esher moral high ground you are arguing from.

+1 for calling me a sourpuss. That is by FAR the most pathetic insult I have ever received here. It might even beat my common use of the term school marm.
    Your math and facts are literally a perfect example of how to manipulate statistics. The things done in order to make the numbers work would get you torn apart in a Intro to Statistics class.

Basically, your continually repeating the claim that 3 + 1 * 3 - 1 = 11 instead of 5. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding, whether willful or unintentional, of basic statistical concepts like sampling/selection bias.

Here are some very, VERY basic explanations on how the numbers used by the article you are holding up as absolute fact and truth were manipulated/trimmed/stretched in order to get them to show what the authors wanted.

https://eagereyes.org/criticism/anscombes-quartet

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-lie-to...ics-1788184031

https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~ricko/CSE3/...Statistics.pdf

You showed us your math, and your math is faulty. The order of operations are all wrong which is leading you to the wrong answer, and you are ignoring any and all evidence that is showing you that, despite what you think, that's not how math works.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    If that is the case, explain the nearly 200 people killed or wounded by a man with a knife in china recently? yes, i can in theory overpower a man with a knife more easily then a man with a gun. i still stand a very good chance of getting hurt. and yes, i can run away too, but what happens if you're slow, or old?
    SO you think giving an old man a gun will help him? Keep living in your dreams.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I thought US was on another planet but now you want to compare when you're allowed to doctor the stats to make you look good? Get outta here with that BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Same. Sometimes I think "Oh he is being a genuine actor in this discussion" but then nope.
    Don't confuse maliciousness with incompetence. Some are just useful idiots who don't want to confront truth because it'd shatter their illusions and beliefs, causing mental gymnastics to deal with the dissonance. Thinking it's preferable and easier living with themselves that way than take a stand and wake up and fight for change for the better instead of loving the old only because it's familiar, nostalgic and got us this far...
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    Yes, i would love to save 11,000 lives a year from murder. question for you though - how many lives a year are saved by a person with a gun in the right place at the right time? How do we save the 11,000 without losing others that are prevented by people who stop a shooter or knife attack or robbery? because those do happen as well. Furthermore, why should we just crusade against 11,000 a year who die due to murder when we can also crusade against the 600,000 a year who die due to obesity? where is the crusade against that? that kills nearly 60 times as many people but i don't see people FIGHTING AGAINST THAT?

Why not?
    When did you see obesity going on a killing spree? BTW there ARE people fighting againgst that, doctors dietitians, all those pesky people that are telling you drinking soda and eating pizza all day every day is bad for you. It is those people YOU hate, because they want to take the fun out of your life. And know who is a big fan of obesity? Yeah president Trump. Who cancels school food programmes for healthy food.

These comparisons are ludacris, you know. Obesitiy is something you do to yourself, not something you do to others. It is YOUR own choice, not you forcing a choice on somebody else. It is disturbing that you are unable to see the difference.

Still the question remains: what do you need an assault rifle for? And why does the US have 8k homicides with handguns per year while Germany only has 70.? You owe me the answer to that still.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Explaining an epidemic doesn't excuse it. No matter the reasons... OP seems to be actually correct here... which is disturbing.
    Didn't some people in the thread mention that he was comparing terrorist attacks with school shootings? Seeing as the US are the biggest aggravator against the middle east it feels unfair to blame France for the terrorist attacks which has hit them.

This has gone on for way too long. Closed.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions