Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GOP congresswoman claims most mass murderers are Democrats

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/n...-parkland.html

Representative Claudia Tenney, a first-term Republican from Central New York, said in a radio interview on Wednesday that “so many” mass murderers “end up being Democrats.”

Democrats immediately condemned her remarks, which came a week after 17 people were killed at a high school in Parkland, Fla., and called on her to apologize for politicizing gun tragedies.

One of Ms. Tenney’s colleagues in the House, Representative Gerry Connolly, a Democrat of Virginia, wrote on Twitter that she “owes America a sincere and abject apology.” And her expected Democratic challenger this year, State Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi, said in his own Twitter post that her “toxic rhetoric” was “a new low” and that “inserting politics into a national tragedy is beyond the pale & disgusting.”

It is not clear that any group keeps a list of the political affiliation of mass killers. The Southern Poverty Law Center released a report this month that counted 100 people killed or injured by “alleged perpetrators influenced by the so-called ‘alt-right’” between 2014 and 2018.

Some individual shootings have appeared politically motivated, at least in part. James Hodgkinson, who opened fire last year on Republicans during their practice for an annual bipartisan congressional baseball game, had written anti-Trump and anti-Republican remarks on social media ahead of the attack. He wounded several people, including Representative Steve Scalise, a top Republican lawmaker, though only the gunman died in that shooting.

Ms. Tenney made her sweeping claim on the “Focus on the State Capitol” radio program hosted by Fred Dicker.

Ms. Tenney said she feared lawful gun owners “are going to be targeted now” even though “in their demographic they have the least amount of crimes of virtually any other demographic.”

Mr. Dicker jumped in: “But they tend to be Republican. They tend to be white. Most gun crimes are occurring in what’s euphemistically called the inner cities involving minorities and they’re the ones the Democrats generally are going to bend over backwards to protect.”

Ms. Tenney eventually continued, “Obviously there’s a lot of politics in it. And it’s interesting that so many of these people that commit the mass murders end up being Democrats. But the media doesn’t talk about that either.”

In a statement on Wednesday night, Ms. Tenney elaborated but didn’t provide information about her claim: “I am fed up with the media and liberals attempting to politicize tragedies and demonize law-abiding gun owners and conservative Americans every time there is a horrible tragedy. While we know the perpetrators of these atrocities have a wide variety of political views, my comments are in response to a question about the failure to prosecute illegal gun crime. I will continue to stand up for law-abiding citizens who are smeared by anti-gun liberal elitists.”

Ms. Tenney, a former state legislator, was elected to Congress in 2016, and her district is expected to be among the most hotly contested in New York this fall.

Got to find some way to say its a Democrat when your busy collecting checks from those that push fear to arm the nation for profit and political gain.

15+ Year Old Account
    I see the conservative braintrust has moved on from saying democrats are baby killers to now mass murderers. Progress.

I don't think this is true. I'm constantly told that liberals are too scared to own a gun so how could they use one to kill a lot of people.

What’s Deplorables @Dacien excuse for this one? Or just ignore it like he would if it was a Trump?

7+ Year Old Account
    Except for all the ones that have been far right extremists (ie, average republicans) of course. What about the narrative that "liberals want to get rid of guns". Now they're the ones using them? I'm confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    I see the conservative braintrust has moved on from saying democrats are baby killers to now mass murderers. Progress.
    First they came for the fetus, I did nothing since I was not a fetus...

Soon they'll move on to kill adults!!!11!!11!!one!111!!!Eleven!1!!1oneone!!11!11Eleventyone!11!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why democrats will continue to lose. Instead of claiming the killer was alt-right and blaming every psycho on republicans, they want stricter gun control. They still get blamed for sensationalism, with assertions of these children being actors. You don’t create a political movement around triggering conservatives, by trying gun control.

Democrats need to learn what works... even if you win a debate on gun control, that’s one issue. While this guy convinces a few people at a time that democrats are murderers. Long term planning...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    This is why democrats will continue to lose. Instead of claiming the killer was alt-right and blaming every psycho on republicans, they want stricter gun control. They still get blamed for sensationalism, with assertions of these children being actors. You don’t create a political movement around triggering conservatives, by trying gun control.

Democrats need to learn what works... even if you win a debate on gun control, that’s one issue. While this guy convinces a few people at a time that democrats are murderers. Long term planning...
    So... you're advocating lying and making crazy conspiracy theories to play to stupid people?

Pardon me, but if that's what I have to do than a) you're validating their cartoon evil ways as being the correct method, and b) the problem isn't with the party, it's with the people - and that's a country I don't want to be in if that's the kinda people you have to cater to. I'm not yet ready to throw that hat in until at least this November.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    So... you're advocating lying and making crazy conspiracy theories to play to stupid people?

Pardon me, but if that's what I have to do than a) you're validating their cartoon evil ways as being the correct method, and b) the problem isn't with the party, it's with the people - and that's a country I don't want to be in if that's the kinda people you have to cater to. I'm not yet ready to throw that hat in until at least this November.
    Think Felya as the MMOC's resident "The Onion" poster and you won't have a problem taking his posts too seriously. And for the record, no, I don't believe Felya is actually advocating for all that.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Think Felya as the MMOC's resident "The Onion" poster and you won't have a problem taking his posts too seriously. And for the record, no, I don't believe Felya is actually advocating for all that.
    /self slap

I'm tired - I didn't even notice it was him. >_<

I guess my sarcasm detector is borked or something. It's so hard to determine the difference these days... >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post

I am serious in the sense that it would work... not serious in the sense that anyone should do it. I would never vote democrat if their sole position was to piss off republicans. Even if those positions would align with mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I’ll take it as a compliment...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I’ll take it as a compliment...
    I hope that's because I intended it to be a compliment, since I have always considered the act of mocking/parodying deplorable causes as noble.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually find it scary the extent at which each 'side' hates each other. Like...how do we recover from this kind of divide? Can we?

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I actually find it scary the extent at which each 'side' hates each other. Like...how do we recover from this kind of divide? Can we?
    Until the GoP gets their shit together, probably not.

I know i know "you're doing the same thing!"... but the GoP brand is, at this point, cartoonishly villianish and mostly built on "it's us vs. them NO QUARTER MUST BE GIVEN OR ELSE WE LOSE" without anything of any substance behind it. A large majority of their supporters seem to be in it for abortion and keeping marriage "pure" and would likely switch to any platform that promises them those two things... but since america only wants to play with two groups the other side MUST be evil because they won't compromise by banning both those things.

These sickos sure find "creative" ways to avoid discussing gun control.

What's next? We have turned away from jebus and god is punishing us?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2018-02-22 at 06:00 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    By humanizing each other. If one side doesn't want to play ball, it's just going to get worse.

I am serious in the sense that it would work... not serious in the sense that anyone should do it. I would never vote democrat if their sole position was to piss off republicans. Even if those positions would align with mine.
    Yeah, I'm tired and didn't notice. my bad >_<

- - - Updated - - -

At this point it should be reminded that you should not confuse the Republicans/Conservatives with the Alt Righters. They're two separate parties.

The problem is the current GOP people in positions of power are catering to the Alt-Right, not the conservatives/republicans.

Remember, the reality is it's Left/Right/Independent vs the Alt-Right. It's not Left vs Right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    These sickos sure find "creative" ways to avoid discussing gun control.

What's next? We have turned away from jebus and god is punishing us?
    I used to joke that the way to convince the Dumpsters/Evangelicals what Dumbass Donnie truly was is to whisper to Dumbfuck Donnie Dump that he will never be more popular than Jesus... knowing he would take that as an insult and begin publicly ripping into Jesus and saying how more popular he is compared to Jesus and how much more influential he is compared to Jesus...

...today, I honestly am questioning if that plan would not only fail - but completely backfire as I bet the Dumpsters/Evangelicals may actually BELIEVE that - and even start saying he's the next comming of Christ! o_O

Well when you have people like my Uncle on the right thinking that Democrats are worse than terrorist groups like ISIS then I think that there's no repairing the divide, at least with people like him.
    Last edited by Smitzelplix; 2018-02-22 at 07:10 AM.

Why should they stoop down to the Republican's level though? Have some dignity, stick to the issues.