Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the movies are fun.

I don't watch MCU movies for originality or for deep thinking. I watch them because they're entertaining and fun.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble a little but a white person did step in and help save the day. I was more impressed by the support for Get Out which is a far superior film. I understand a lot of things as a minority, I just don't understand why people need to read more into something then there actually needs to be. I believe that if you told some white people that the mining operation is a nod to the underground railroad, they would dislike the mixing of more politics in to a movie.
    Well, that's subjective.

Wouldn't touch that movie with a pole again, don't care how empowering it is to black people. Same with Wonder Woman, which still had the tropes of focusing on her beauty and her only finding her strength through emotional overload.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Because the movies are fun.

I don't watch MCU movies for originality or for deep thinking. I watch them because they're entertaining and fun.
    Also this.

And as far as such movies go, they're top notch, unlike the Transformers series.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Two reasons.

1. The recycled outline for each film is entertaining every time.

2. There is virtually no competition. DC is incompetent, not even able to tell which films of their's are good and bad before they release (which is why a WW sequel was not even being considered before it released). Fox and the X-Men are done and gone. Sony and Marvel are sharing Spider-Man.
    DC could always crank out movies based on the consistently top ranked hero and villain they own. Still be better than half the shit marvel movies are.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Well, that's subjective.

Wouldn't touch that movie with a pole again, don't care how empowering it is to black people. Same with Wonder Woman, which still had the tropes of focusing on her beauty and her only finding her strength through emotional overload.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this.

And as far as such movies go, they're top notch, unlike the Transformers series.
    I think I may be burned out on hero movies. Justice league may have finally broken me. I will see them, I just think I may be jaded towards them in general. I was smart enough to only watch 1 transformers. I defend Get Out on the principle that it's an entertaining movie. I am more disappointed in movies like Her and Under the Skin which i find ridiculous but most people think are great movies.

I think the better question is to ask how many possible plots there can be for a superhero protagonist. Certain elements have to be checked off, or people won't accept them since they don't like change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

There are valid criticisms to make against any Marvel movie, and this movie shares those criticisms.
    That's not what this thread is about though: This thread is about why people are impressed with this movie.

That is an entirely different discussion.
    Nope, this thread is literally titled why are people impressed by recycled marvel movie plots, the title is literally staring off as criticism of the movie. And when discussing a film, game, TV show, book or comic, people can criticize it all they want.
    #boycottchina

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Simple:
    Watching > reading
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Plot is not too important actually.

First off, this is what I think is referred to as a popcorn movie. You see it as a way to have your attention diverted for about two hours into a world of make believe.

Even if you have higher aspirations as any kind of author, the reality is that there are only Seven Basic Plots

Deleted
    I am severely fatigued when it comes to "super hero" movies, so I wonly watch them if I am sure it's going to be something fun and exiting.

The first Guardians if the Galaxy did that for me and I also liked the Winter Soldier, but that's it really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Blade, Spawn, Black Panther. Isn't he the third big one?
    Steel, Hancock, meteor man, blank man all are black super heroes as well.

Dark Knight is the best comic book movie of all time yet it's story is basic, good guy versus bad guy. Why is it the best? The writing, the actors, probably the directing and all the other things that put enough details in a movie so that it seams original.

Black Panther has a lot of details too, so did Wonder Woman.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/0Y0bu

Pretty hypocritical coming from a Wakandan, they have a big wall around their nation and trespassers are killed on sight.
    Yes, and if you'd paid attention to the movie, that was literally the Villian's entire motivation. Wakanda lived in it's ivory tower, leaving everyone else to suffer. It was the entire plot of the film.

You did watch it, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to burst your bubble a little but a white person did step in and help save the day. I was more impressed by the support for Get Out which is a far superior film. I understand a lot of things as a minority, I just don't understand why people need to read more into something then there actually needs to be. I believe that if you told some white people that the mining operation is a nod to the underground railroad, they would dislike the mixing of more politics in to a movie.
    There is a very specific kind of person that would "dislike" the mixing of politics into a movie that was cast almost entirely with Black people, set in Africa, where the only two white people were either a villain or a sub-character.

Of that, I have no doubt.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

So after seeing Black Panther I was wondering why marvel keeps using the same basic plot as Captain America. There are subtle differences, but the main plot is the same.

Chemically enhanced villain wants to use advanced technology to have his race take over the world while similarly chemically enhanced hero wants to stop him.

The first Iron Man plot has been reused also, but I was just using the above as most recent example. Why are people more impressed this time around? Because it's the second black hero to headline a movie?
    It's about the journey.

Also black panther is not the second black hero to headline a movie, he's more like the 6th or 7th

10+ Year Old Account
    Killmonger was enhanced?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Killmonger was enhanced?
    After he beat Tachalla in the ritual combat he was given the flower/elixer thing that gives black panther his powers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    After he beat Tachalla in the ritual combat he was given the flower/elixer thing that gives black panther his powers
    Yeah but the first time he was not

10+ Year Old Account
    So after seeing Black Panther I was wondering why marvel keeps using the same basic plot as Captain America. There are subtle differences, but the main plot is the same.

Chemically enhanced villain wants to use advanced technology to have his race take over the world while similarly chemically enhanced hero wants to stop him.

The first Iron Man plot has been reused also, but I was just using the above as most recent example. Why are people more impressed this time around? Because it's the second black hero to headline a movie?
    I give a pass to all things with Black Panther. If the black folks in the U.S. like it, then I won't say a damn thing against it.

As for the bolded, there have been more than 2, but this is the first with a truly positive message being sent, and doesn't make the hero look like a fool or a dick for half the movie.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Actually it more mirrors the Lion King than anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Yeah but the first time he was not
    They also have something that takes the powers away just for the combat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    If you saw Black Panther, and don't understand why it's a big deal, you're either:
    "Anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot or a nazi". Good job dude, really professional.