Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    why do people always assume hunting is the only basis for drafting gun laws. So you dont need a "hi cap" magazine to hunt...no shit. anyone thats a legitimate hunter doesnt need one. But the guy that does shooting competitions like 3 gun, does. The guy may have never broken a law in his life, found a hobby that keeps him happy and physically active (since you know, all gun owners are fat slobs), and you just want to punish him because of what some assholes do with the same kind of gun.
    Sorry that kids not dying would ruin his hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crudence View Post
    I think America needs a reboot. Have you tried turning it off and on again? It is getting quite ridiculous. It's not a democracy as only the rich can be elected. It is flooded with guns, very powerful guns. No one is safe, everyone on the street can kill you with legal firearms. Students can't feel safe in their schools. Money is the bloody God. And apparently shit that works well everywhere else in the world "can't work in America". And what is with the anti government attitude? It is not like guns disappear and it suddenly becomes a dictatorship. Not any more than it is already anyway.
    I remember my history teacher telling us how he expected a civil war in the US at some point this century because of the enormous divides in that country.
    That was almost 20 years ago and I would say it's looking only more likely today than it did back then.

At some point it might break into multiple smaller nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    The argument against arming teachers:
    1) Putting guns in schools provides more ammo for the shooter when they kill the teacher and can now pick up another loaded gun. Without having to reload, btw.
    2) I do not want to send my child to a school where all the authority figures are armed. School is not a prison.
    3) If teachers are to be required to undergo combat training and be ready and willing to shoot a student, they are going to need more pay. Guess which party is opposed to increasing funding for public education?
    4) How would you pay for the guns for the teachers? Glock 43 9mm is $450 each. We can't even afford pencils right now, we make the teachers buy them out of pocket, and maybe they get reimbursed, maybe not.
    5) What about teachers who don't want to do this?
    6) What about people who want to be armed in schools to protect children, but have zero ability to convey knowledge to terrified children who had no interest in learning before they were afraid for their lives?
    7) I really have to believe the intersection of "Teachers who are able to convey knowledge and encourage personal and academic development in children" and "People willing to kill an armed child on sight without hesitation" is a really, REALLY tiny percentage of teachers.
    8) Who pays for the liability insurance?
    9) Are teachers personally at fault if they miss the shooter and kill an innocent bystander?
    10) Are teachers personally at fault if they fail to prevent the shooter from killing someone?
    11) Enclosed spaces with concrete walls filled with innocent children are generally the LAST place you want more guns going off. Ricochets are a thing, especially down concrete halls with ceramic tile floors lined with steel lockers on both sides.

The argument in favor of arming teachers:
    1) Armed people in the school will deter shooters (False, many school shootings have occurred in schools that had an armed security officer or police officer on premises).
    2) The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun (False, the best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure the bad guy never gets the gun in the first place. The second best way is to find out why the guy is bad, and make him good, before he does anything bad. The third best way is to make sure he can't bring the gun to the place he wants to use it. The fourth best way is to hold active shooter drills on a regular basis, and have secure areas where students can hide in case of emergency. The fifth best way is a good guy with a gun, provided the good guy is military or police, and trained in de-escalation tactics. The sixth best way is a trained officer with a gun. The seventh best way is a typical good guy with a gun.)
    3) Nothing short of an armed presence in schools will make our children feel safe (False, an armed presence in schools will make our children feel that their lives are in constant danger, distracting them from the learning that they are there for in the first place.)

The argument in favor of stricter gun control:
    1) Nobody needs ready access to high powered assault-style weapons for any day-to-day activities.
    2) We already have many gun control laws which are not properly enforced. Tighter enforcement of existing laws (including stricter penalties for violating them) would fall under the broad umbrella of gun control.
    3) Every other developed nation has a more sensible system of gun control - either the Israeli/Swiss model where EVERYONE is armed, but heavily trained on how to use guns safely and effectively, or the broader European/Australian model where gun access is heavily restricted. The US has far more gun violence than any of those other countries.
    4) Most guns used in mass shootings were purchased legally. Many were purchased due to gaps in existing legislation. Bills like FIX NICS are intended to plug those gaps, and should have broad bipartisan support.
    5) 94% of Americans support universal background checks, including for private sales and gun shows.
    6) The Framers intended the Constitution to be a living document, able to change with the times as required to best fit the needs of society.

The argument against stricter gun control:
    1) Civilian ownership of guns is necessary as a check on the government and to empower us to violently overthrow the government if our rights are being violated. (False, civilian ownership of guns means nothing when the military can drone strike your house while you sleep.)
    2) Civilian ownership of guns is necessary for personal protection (False, civilian ownership of means of self defense is necessary for personal protection, it does not necessarily HAVE to be guns.)
    3) Our country has a long standing tradition of responsible firearms ownership and use. Hunting traditions go back generations. (True, and there would be no need to restrict this usage. You do not need a high-capacity magazine or an assault-style weapon to hunt deer.)
    4) The Framers wrote the Second Amendment so that the government would never be able to take our guns (False, the Framers likely wrote the Second Amendment because they wanted a well-trained and equipped citizenry that could be called as militia if needed, because they did not want a standing army. It was not until the mid 1900s that 2A was interpreted by the Supreme Court as an absolute protection of an individual's right to bear arms for funsies. Additionally, the Framers wrote the Constitution to be a living document that could change with the times as needed.)
    5) If you try to take the guns away from people who have them, there will be armed rebellion. (Unclear. The government wouldn't simply be seizing private property, guns would be taken away via buyback programs. If there is one thing that Americans in general love more than guns, it's money.)
    Good stuff.

I've seen a proposal to repeal the 2nd amendment and I think that's an idea with some teeth. I think people initially spazz because they assume that means "take all the guns!!", but 2 seconds of thought should lead to a realization that is just not true. Example - there is no Constitutional amendment that gives me the right to own a car, yet I do.

A repeal wouldn't be the end-all-be-all solution, but it would dramatically undercut a lot of the roadblocks put in place that prevent proper gun control and the enforcement of those laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    The obvious question to ask Democrats would be, what legislation do you propose for the country that would make you give up your armed security in favor of that legislation? Whichever it is of the two options that makes you feel more secure, do that for the schools.
    Why is this only a Democrat problem to solve?

Why is the solution "give up armed security"?

If teachers want to arm themselves, they should receive the proper training and license to do so. It should not be forced or required to do so in any way, shape, or form. My 9th grade English teacher was a little old lady. I can't imagine her packin' heat, let alone being capable of using it effectively. Now my shop teacher on the other hand... he was probably already carrying. What I think needs to happen is that schools need security assessments and they need active shooter drills just like fire drills. They also need former military, former police, armed security guard(s) on the premise. It's hard enough for military veterans to find work after service. Letting them guard schools would give them a purpose and a paycheck, solving multiple problems at the same time.

As far as gun control itself, sorry but no. I'm never turning over my guns to bleeding heart liberal pseudo-Communists who love Big Poppa Government and Uncle Deep State running their lives. First of all, good luck repealing the 2nd Amendment, or any other amendment for that matter in this perma-divided country. Not even slaughtered children can change that. Second of all, even if by some miracle extreme gun control becomes a thing, I'll turn mine in only after every ghetto thug crime lord wanna-be gangsta turns theirs in. Don't worry; I'll wait. You want to make America safe again? Start in the inner cities because your children are far more likely to be gunned down there than at school. But I will be reasonable. I will say they should increase the age requirement on semi-automatic rifles to 21 just like handguns. And the background check should be much more thorough and strictly enforced.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Marsc92 View Post
    It works in Israel, on its face it makes sense.

I see a lot of people who are around 90~ IQ assume they are 'very smart' so they parrot the mainstream beliefs that guns are the problem. No smart person ever called a politician stupid, least of all Trump.

Every time there is an active shooter situation, you have to call armed people to the situation, just let teachers with licenses CC and the problem is solved. You simply can't 'fix' flaws in human psychology, but you can defend yourself against dangerous/evil individuals.
    Living in a country with 0 zero school shootings and tough gun laws. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    The obvious question to ask Democrats would be, what legislation do you propose for the country that would make you give up your armed security in favor of that legislation? Whichever it is of the two options that makes you feel more secure, do that for the schools.
    1) Pass Obama's mental health restrictions on guns (the ones Trump just repealed), with the caveat that SSDI recipients are referred to a hearing before a judge and psychiatrist to be adjudicated as mentally competent (or not), rather than summarily put on the NICS list without due process.
    2) Pass the FIX NICS bill, requiring the various military and law enforcement agencies to properly comply with existing regulations regarding adding people to this database.
    3) Pass a law requiring universal background checks, including gun shows and private sales. Better yet, outlaw private sales entirely.
    4) Pass a full ban on the sale of aftermarket modifications intended to increase the rate-of-fire of semi-automatic weapons.
    5) Pass a full ban on magazines larger than 8 rounds for civilian use, regardless of the gun the magazine is for.
    6) Pass CT-style gun control legislation in all 50 states and at the Federal level - requiring a permit and safety course for gun ownership, standardizing the permitting process, and obviating the need for the CCRA or similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

I dont think anyone is claiming its the answer, but does it increase the likelihood of such a situation being ended earlier? Yes.

Force them to? no. Allow them to sure, even if it was just a gun case in the admin offices that a few select trained and licensed teachers / staff know how to get into.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

A question few seem to ask regarding this is: would a teacher actually the use the gun if the situation called for it?

How many people would be willing to shoot a kid (or anyone really) even if they are dangerous?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    What I think needs to happen is that schools need security assessments and they need active shooter drills just like fire drills.
    They already do this.

In elementary schools.

I wonder when it will go to preschools, so I can have the joy of teaching my 2 year old how to duck and cover in case of an active shooter.

Tell me, is my 1 year old daughter too young to learn? I could probably teach her to sign "Please don't shoot me", but her vocabulary and pronunciation for regular speech aren't that great yet.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    They already do this.

In elementary schools.

I wonder when it will go to preschools, so I can have the joy of teaching my 2 year old how to duck and cover in case of an active shooter.

Tell me, is my 1 year old daughter too young to learn? I could probably teach her to sign "Please don't shoot me", but her vocabulary and pronunciation for regular speech aren't that great yet.
    Best fucking reply of the thread, honestly.

We've reached these absurd lengths.

1) Pass Obama's mental health restrictions on guns (the ones Trump just repealed),
    That is incorrect. Trump did not repeal the entire plan. Trump made sure you had to prove someone had mental health issues before you could take away their constitutional rights. Everyone gets due process and thats a good thing. You can't just claim they have a mental problem without proof and thats what obama's plan did. Thats the only major thing that got changed.

The rest of what you say sounds pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    A question few seem to ask regarding this is: would a teacher actually the use the gun if the situation called for it?

How many people would be willing to shoot a kid (or anyone really) even if they are dangerous?
    Not to mention, since those kids do the shooting usually on their (former) schools... could you as a teacher shoot your student, or person you know in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post

I taught biology for about 10 years but to save 17, I'd shoot one.

To save one student from another hellbent on killing others I'd shoot another.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    That is incorrect. Trump did not repeal the entire plan. Trump made sure you had to prove someone had mental health issues before you could take away their constitutional rights. Everyone gets due process and thats a good thing. You can't just claim they have a mental problem without proof and thats what obama's plan did. Thats the only major thing that got changed.

The rest of what you say sounds pretty good though.
    Did you not read the rest of the sentence, where I said that instead of summarily putting people into NICS just because they designated a 3rd party to manage their benefits, we refer them to a court-appointed psychiatrist and they appear before a judge to be adjudicated as mentally competent?

You know, the very definition of due process? Including the ability to appeal in a higher court?

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Not to mention, since those kids do the shooting usually on their (former) schools... could you as a teacher shoot your student, or person you know in general?
    We just need to hire teachers with psychopatic tendencies.

They already do this.

In elementary schools.

They don't all do it nationwide and that is an issue. And don't be ridiculous. Virtually every school shooter has been a former student of that school so unless a preschooler is strong enough to hold a gun and pull a trigger, your 1 year old should be safe.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

http://www.newsweek.com/sheriff-conc...eachers-815242

Teachers signing up left and right to arm themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    They don't all do it nationwide and that is an issue. And don't be ridiculous. Virtually every school shooter has been a former student of that school so unless a preschooler is strong enough to hold a gun and pull a trigger, your 1 year old should be safe.
    An indictment of the situation that someone responded to that seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Did you not read the rest of the sentence, where I said that instead of summarily putting people into NICS just because they designated a 3rd party to manage their benefits, we refer them to a court-appointed psychiatrist and they appear before a judge to be adjudicated as mentally competent?

You know, the very definition of due process? Including the ability to appeal in a higher court?
    And I told you thats already there. The law is still there and Trump made sure Due process happens unlike obamas original but the law itself is there. It never went away.