Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, she didn't "yank" it off. But still...pretty dick move. You're feelings are hurt because you're a poor sport? Don't do dipshit things in front of cameras and tons of people. Keep it in the locker room where you can bitch and stomp your feet to your hearts content. Grow up.

Can't blame her, anything less than gold in hockey is meaningless for a Canadian. Especially this year for women's hockey, now that the men's competition is all 3rd or 4th tier players.

She already has gold, if they took away a silver I don't even think she would care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    I'd be upset too if a gold medal came down to a idiotic shootout. What a stupid way to decide a championship in a TEAM sport. Rock, paper, scissors is about as relevant in deciding a winner. Why they don't play with NHL playoff continuous overtime rules is beyond stupid.
    Because it's not an NHL game? Bet you wouldn't be saying that though if Canada would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    I'd be upset too if a gold medal came down to a idiotic shootout. What a stupid way to decide a championship in a TEAM sport. Rock, paper, scissors is about as relevant in deciding a winner. Why they don't play with NHL playoff continuous overtime rules is beyond stupid.
    Nah. Shootouts are fine. Seeing which team has what it takes after playing an entire game and is able to execute under an even higher level of pressure, is a perfectly fine way to decide the winner. Just accept that the US has pretty much taken over soccer, even though I will never understand it. I guess me living in the deep south has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    Because it's not an NHL game? Bet you wouldn't be saying that though if Canada would have won.
    I assume my point flew further over your head than a spaceX rocket. I'm not surprised though. I don't give a shit who wins as long as its fair. Winning in a shootout doesn't prove anything and is an idiotic way to decide a championship in any sport. I doubt you have played a sport in your life, so you wouldn't understand what its like to have both teams play amazingly for the entire game, only to have a one on one competition decide who wins. Now, before you embarrass yourself, try a little comprehension before responding.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Yanked it off. Took it off. What difference does it make? Bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship. It goes against the very principles of the Olympic Games.
    The very principle of the olympic games is the competition, not being polite, although I agree good sportsmanship is important it is not the very principle of the olympic games so just don't say something that is not true, it does no good to the discussion.

Words are extremely important, they mean different things and using the right words for the right situation is important. "Yanked it off" illustrate a gesture with agressive attitude, sharp and sudden movement that can be charactecterized as "she did this out of frustration". While "took it off" means she simple took it off neutrally without the agressive display that is understated in "yanked it off". If anything, she look more like she did this out of disappointment in herself than in frustration against her competition.

All in all, I don't think her move was a good idea, she should have handled herself better, I also agree it is not good sportsmanship and it shows disrespect to other silver medalists who are proud of themselves, a silver medal is a hell of an accomplishment and she should be proud, not sad.

Still not a reason to exaggerate the situation and make her look like she's furiously out of control, or even worst: to suggest she needs to be punished, seriously wtf.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares?

We are in a time where people kneel during anthems and other ceremonies. Why is her taking off her Medal something out of the ordinary these days.

Is she a bit of a poor sport? Sure. There's certainly no justification to take away her medal, that's being even more petty than she was.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    unless she tossed the silver medal into the winning team's faces: nothing happened, move along. you dont have to like it to be second.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah, losing to an US athlete is truly embarrassing. After all they're #24 (of 26) in per capita medals!
    All bow to Liechtenstein, the greatest Winter Olympic country ever!

10+ Year Old Account

Taking it off isn't a big deal.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

What's a Candadian???

10+ Year Old Account
    It's her medal she can do whatever she wants with it, personally I like her, don't need a medal to know who you are. Albeit extreme but ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    All bow to Liechtenstein, the greatest Winter Olympic country ever!
    Up your game Norway!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Nah. Shootouts are fine [to resolve gold medal games].
    Pretty much no coaches, players, commentators, announcers, or GMs agree with you on this.

The USA would have still won it in double OT, Canada was completely flat for two periods. Canada didn't deserve the gold medal for that performance, and if they'd won in the shootout it would have been unfortunate for the US, who were the better team. Shootouts are a bad way to resolve non-regular season games.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Hockey turns even the nicest Canadians into assholes, especially at the national level.

This is exactly what outcome you get in an era of participation trophies and 'everyone is a winner' mindset being fed to people.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sore loser.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    This is exactly what outcome you get in an era of participation trophies and 'everyone is a winner' mindset being fed to people.
    Lmao. This doesn't apply to Olympic medalists nor is it relevant to the situation.

She was probably disappointed because her squad had already beaten the U.S. women earlier.