Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You don't need to allow "spaces", you simply have 2 fields, max 20 characters and you can either distribute everything into the first or split it into two. Problem solved.

I would like to be able to have a capital letter in the middle of the name if spaces aren't allowed so I can separate the words with capitalization.

ex/ HolyCow instead of Holycow

They already let people have accents on letters so the "x x x legolas x x x" isn't that good of an argument.

When i played MUDs in the early 1990s, names were not reserved. If two people had the name Legolas, you reference them with 1.legolas and 2.legolas. So for example youd go /w 2.legolas hi. Their names would appear as simply legolas but to reference them for anything youd use the numbering syntax. They didnt have slash commands either. Instead, if you wanted to whisper someone, youd start a sentence with w instead of /w and the MUD would iner it was a whisper unless you changed a setting so it would be w 2.legolas hi
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-02-21 at 01:11 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyme View Post
    Other mmorpgs allows this and i'm not sure what the downsides are.

It would clear up so many issues with coming up with a new name for a character that has a decent name for example, or a new player coming into the game but spending 30 min in character creation trying to come up with a name before he starts bashing the keyboard instead..

This has most likely crossed Blizzards mind and they either said "no" or "not right now", i'm just not sure why they are holding of with it.
    It's WoW,it's not CS:GO,where schoolkids can change their nickname every 5 minutes and use something super-duper idiotic and overused.

Technically, your realm name is your "surname". And even realm names have been made sans-space.
    On the other hand, they have apostrophes like Ner'zhul or Drak'thul.

Why not allow apostrophes in names then? Who knows. And inb4 someone suggests 'L'e'g'o'l'a's', you can limit it on one apostrophe in the middle of the string, it's nothing impossible, same thing with the space. Elder Scrolls Online allows those, but only for orcs, as having apostrophes in their names is sort of their thing. Imo nice design, I think they even allow spaces and dashes.

As for actual second names/surnames/family names - Black Desert has that. It's great that you can see right away who are you dealing with, on the other hand, they can see you too, so if you like to hide on some alt in some other guild, or on some other realm in some Lion Pride Inn, too bad.
    That said, I think it's a horrible design, not only from personal point of view, but also sounds weird when you have the same second name for an orc and a blood elf and whatever else.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm hoping that one day, blizzard will get up to date, and merge all those hundreds of servers into a few megaservers.
    then because many people will be forced to change their names, we will be allowed like 2 spaces, 1 apostrophe, 1 dash, per name.

Deleted
    Because it's not really worth the hassle and the potential issues it may cause. The main reason if not the only one is most likely due to a technical standpoint.
    Also "X x X L E G O L A S X x X" ... yeah I wouldn't like to see this lol

Spaces wouldn't work without greatly tweaking how chat commands work. As soon as you type /w namehere, and then one more space, it instantly goes into whisper mode. Even other servers with a space in them requires an apostrophe or dash or even not using a space.

I'd love a space but we'd likely sooner see apostrophes and periods, though I don't see a lot of use for periods outside of titles like Mr., Dr. Sr., etc. Outside of those two, I don't know how we'll get anything else without a lot of work on Blizzard's part. Dashes are usually used to connect a server to a name, and I don't see the use of any other punctuation.

If anything, I'd love to see more than 12 characters on a name, because personally I think 12 is a bit short. Not too short for a one-word name only, but if they ever did give us spaces, apostrophes, or dashes, they should immediately open up name creation up to 16 or 20 characters.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And Warcraft character names don't even support EU letters like Š, Ž, Þ and Ð.
    They don't in America? My brother used to have a character named Ðoom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I would like to be able to have a capital letter in the middle of the name if spaces aren't allowed so I can separate the words with capitalization.

They already let people have accents on letters so the "x x x legolas x x x" isn't that good of an argument.
    My issue with this is that it's just a slightly more graceful way of altering a name you didn't get just so you don't have to be original.

Letters with capitals in the middle also look way too digital.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make everyone use RP addons like TotalRP3 and Blizzard will eventually put some of the features into the game.

Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'm guessing it's because wow is the OG of MMOs, and when they created the game the baseline of code for naming characters didn't have it, they just thought players wouldn't need it. Problem that created is with the millions of people who have played it, the limitations to names makes people use asterisks just to name something, and blizzard can't change the coding otherwise it would delete or screw up all names made so far.

It's one of those facts they'd never admit to, due to it making them look incompetent

Funny thing is, this problem gets fixed on rp servers with add-ons like trp3 and My Roleplay, letting to work your name however you want.
    WoW isn't the OG of MMO's though.

WoW is the middle child that did really well so now the parents keep trying to convince the rest of their kids to be just like their big sibling.

While I'm sure there are or were technical limitations - ones that could be removed - the original reason was (as mentioned before) that they didn't want people to have titles.

WoW has evolved deeply into a theme-park MMO, but it started out as much more an open-world concept game. Titles could only be earned through PvP - from Lieutenant to High Warlord with a lot in between - and if you skipped out on PvP or started losing then you'd lose your title as well.

Now days we just have honorifics we can earn which are account wide but fulfill the same role.

Which is important in my opinion, I tend to be pretty egalitarian about WoW and don't really care when someone "earns" something. I love doing transmog runs through past content in order to fill out sets or more importantly to get Mythic versions. But I'm still happy about time-locked things. Like the flying moose from HFC heroic or the arcane raven mount from Antorus, in that vein I would be annoyed at someone putting up a "Hand of A'Dal" title to the end of their name.

I think they could change it if they wanted to but for their purposes the naming conventions in WoW work and work well with their honorifics.

I'd still like to put in an apostrophe though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    They don't in America? My brother used to have a character named Ðoom.
    They do, people just don't like using ASCII.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lord of the Rings Online have an amazing feature where you can unlock (no effort needed really) a surname for your characters. You are still whispered etc with your regular name and the surname works more like a title, except you chose it yourself. You can however ALSO chose a title.

This should really come to this game as well, to allow people to chose a name, either a first name or a last name, that works like a title.

In my case, Battlebeard is more of a surname, so I would love to pick a first name, lets say a dwarf name, Gloin Battlebeard or something. Add a title to that, Gloin Battlebeard of the Alliance. Would be sweet.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Because of:
    I llidan
    Il lidan
    Ill idan
    Illi dan
    Illid an
    Illida n

names.
    Also - it wouldn't be possible to /w to someone if you use space.
    Or - Xx Legolas The Thunderfury xX

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    I'd love to have a Warrior called "Bigus Dickus" :-)
    as long as you leave "naughtius maximus" for me

Quote Originally Posted by alyx View Post
    as long as you leave "naughtius maximus" for me

Or "Incontinentia Buttocks"

Cause we have titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post

I'd like to see something like this too. I suspect that for character names they don't distinguish upper or lower case because they don't want Holycow and HolyCow to be different names. Technically they would be if they get into allowing case specific characters in toon names.

For anyone that wants to point out that the first letter of a character name is capitalized that's easy enough to do with a mask that forces a capital letter for the first character of the name and still have the string that makes up the name not case-sensitive as far as the back-end goes.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-02-22 at 01:12 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

becuz L'e'g'o'l'a's and his buddy A r a g o r n are stupid names.

About names having too many spaces.. well, that can be restricted, like "maximum of 2 space in the name, surrounded by at least 2 characters on each side," or some other variation that makes sense. This is not really an issue. It's probably more of how it was traditionally and/or initial technical restriction.
    I wouldn't mind having all my characters named more properly, like Muffin McTeaparty, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Or "Incontinentia Buttocks"
    Don't ask me why...but I feel like that name fits a guardian druid better ;-)