Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    why is it ok for our military members but not for welfare recipients?
    You do know that soldiers do not eat MREs every day, right? They're for use in the field where a kitchen and regular meals aren't available, and are just about the worst possible kind of processed food, packed as full of calories and sodium as humanly possible to keep a soldier engaged in demanding physical activities going. To say this is absolutely not the kind of food you want to send to people on stamps is an understatement. Not to mention the logistical nightmare of suddenly amping the production of said MREs nationwide and such.

Seriously, stop with this idea of sending people food. It's so incredibly stupid even this clown's nest of a White House decided it was dumb the day they proposed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    do we really need yet another one covering the same topics and embarrassing support of cutting help for the poor
    Why did you ask then, if you already knew?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    How about get a fucking job and stop living off of other people? Don't fuck like animals and have kids you can't support. You know, be a responsible person.
    People are gonna fuck. There is 0 evidence to support they won’t. An issue occurs when we don’t also provide dirt cheap/free and easily available forms of birth control.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So was thinking today about how Trump is trying to turn food stamps into a blue apron like service. It occured to me that we already have this system in place. We give them to all of our military members on a daily basis. They're called MRE's. Why can't we use MREs for people on welfare?
    MRE's have been brought up before as a solution. But it turns out the are purpose built for combat situations, with high caloric contents and would not provide a balanced and sustainable nutritional alternative.

The food stamp system works. The GOP just doesn't want you to think that because they are tired of helping people that need help, like teachers, active military, etc.

Why not just let them do their own grocery shopping? Store PoS systems already prevent them from being used on items not covered (e.g. alcohol, tobacco, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    I don’t know why you or trump has an issue with food stamps ? Or TANF or SNAPs? Unless it’s not giving families enough money ?
    I'd have to agree, I have looked over state by state how much foodstamp support people get, besides a few states it's not nearly enough to cover monthly expenses for food.

I can easily spend $300 or better on just myself a month, and I don't eat out much, nor do I eat a lot, it's just between the prices for food going up and less and less options yeah.

I don't shop at like say Aldi's as much as maybe I should even though I consider myself a proud cheap ass, but yeah

The average SNAP benefit per person is about $125 per month, which works out to about $1.40 per person per meal. Estimated average benefits are based on FY 2015 SNAP Quality Control Household Characteristics data, the most recent data with this information.Sep 14, 2017
    https://www.cbpp.org/research/a-quic...y-and-benefits
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

why is it ok for our military members but not for welfare recipients?
    MRE's are packed with calories and nutrients. These were specifically designed for a field environment where soldiers can burn through energy fairly quickly.

Give those to people on food stamps, many of whom already lead a less active lifestyle, and you will make a bad problem much, much worse.

Don't get rid of the safety net, just make it impossible for people to abuse the system. i.e. people driving a Lexus and wearing designer clothing on food stamps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    MRE's have been brought up before as a solution. But it turns out the are purpose built for combat situations, with high caloric contents and would not provide a balanced and sustainable nutritional alternative.

The food stamp system works. The GOP just doesn't want you to think that because they are tired of helping people that need help, like teachers, active military, etc.
    I agree food is a NEED, I would understand CASH assistance but FOOD, yeah there is no reason human being should skimp out nutrition, similarly along the same lines and Healthcare.

So was thinking today about how Trump is trying to turn food stamps into a blue apron like service. It occured to me that we already have this system in place. We give them to all of our military members on a daily basis. They're called MRE's. Why can't we use MREs for people on welfare?
    Because MREs are non-perishable combat rations that are intended to provide everything a soldier would need to keep them going in an environment where they may not have the ability to eat for a day or more at at time, and/or in locations where fresh provisions and food can't be obtained. They're loaded to burst with sodium, fat, and calories and are in no way a means to a healthy diet in the long-term.

Military members absolutely don't "eat them every day", and while there are some damn tasty MREs out there, I think you'll have a really hard time finding soldiers who are totally down for making that their daily chow.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's been a known thing for years. You haven't seen the whole "Woman feeds her dog lobster on welfare" hooplah?
    I donut think that a single person doing something stupid with EBT benefits they probably actually needed is exactly ground breaking evidence of some vast mis-use of SNAP benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I donut think that a single person doing something stupid with EBT benefits they probably actually needed is exactly ground breaking evidence of some vast mis-use of SNAP benefits.
    First off I go to the market weekly Lobster is probably about the most nutritious thing I even see in some of these carts where people are shopping with EBT. So good for her and the fact she fed her dog, hahaha I guess.

One thing is for certain seeing that video never made me more certain something was mentally wrong with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Can you tell that to all the old people on welfare (Social Security).
    Social security isn’t welfare. It’s their money they paid into it their entire working life.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Why? Do you think MREs are cheaper or something?

In my country welfare is literally just money.

I already thought food stamps sounded like micromanaging the poor, now you guys want to actually cook their meals for them?

Like I said before, I've never seen such a literal interpretation of "nanny state".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's been a known thing for years. You haven't seen the whole "Woman feeds her dog lobster on welfare" hooplah?

Basically we don't have a good system of tracking, organizing, or deciding who actually needs what. So they just are shutting it down.
    In some cases yes, there may be those who abuse the system. But there is a list of food types that snap covers. Thing is if you find someone who won't sell you luxury items you just move along till you find someone who will. https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

I already thought food stamps sounded like micromanaging the poor, now you guys want to actually cook their meals for them?

Like I said before, I've never seen such a literal interpretation of "nanny state".
    EBT is more about making sure people only have access to foodstuff items. It's true that it's a bit of micromanagement, but at least you kind of force most people to actually use it on food instead of drugs or alcohol or other frivolous things, so you make sure their family has access to food. If you have a card that can only buy food, you're probably at least going to get groceries.

10+ Year Old Account

Hehehe.

Well I would NOT be in favor of giving people who are without means for whatever reason CASH, I mean for some things yes, like basic needs not covered under FOOD, but not cash, even though Cash is pretty poor Anywhere from $735 to $1400 a month which is NOT a hell of a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Social security isn’t welfare. It’s their money they paid into it their entire working life.
    No SSI is Welfare. It's paid out to those who are permanently disable for one or another reason and haven't earned enough credits for SSDI, I know this because we hire on people who have either.

SSI is for sure a NEED but it is welfare 100%

It's not really their money. It's a disappearing pool... and they are really spending their children's money
    `

Why should they get anything at all? They don't deserve my money. Pay for yourself or die trying. Don't have kids of you don't have a long term plan to support them. Maybe if they cut welfare low income jobs employers could afford to pay a bit more in the money they save in taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Why should they get anything at all? They don't deserve my money. Pay for yourself or die trying. Don't have kids of you don't have a long term plan to support them. Maybe if they cut welfare low income jobs employers could afford to pay a bit more in the money they save in taxes.
    It's how society works until the job market can sustain it's citizens. The existence of welfare is a symptom, not the cause.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.