Do ideas self-perpetuate?

Consider an idea (for example, communism) as a parasite. It infects the host (you) when you are exposed to it. It can happen without the involvement of other people. For example you might just stumble upon it while reading a book in a library. It then exploits your need to share information with other people and you unwittingly help it spread and infect other people. It is capable of evolution. It is like a virus. If the strain that infected you isn't potent enough to gain widespread attention, it will hijack your creative potential and make you modify it so that it can become more acceptable to the public. At their peak they become ideologies and they get so rooted in society that you can't escape their grasp. The only effective cure against them are counter-ideas. You can't eradicate them; even if you destroy all evidence that an idea ever existed, it will just randomly pop up elsewhere again.

Humans have less agency over their actions than you think. From the moment you are born, your brain is constantly being invaded by these non-physical entities called ideas. It's just a matter of time until one of them indoctrinates you.

Maybe instead of being angry at other people for doing x and doing y, you should recognize ideas as the true enemy and help resist their corruption?

Who are we going to listen to who'll tell us which ideas we should believe and which ideas we shouldn't believe?

I'll volunteer if no one steps up.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Some ideas are objectively bad. You can blame the idea but that doesn’t excuse the idiot from perpetrating it. The only logical response to bad ideas is mockery.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

TLDR: I just got done watching Inception, have you guys seen it?!?!

Why yes, yes I have.

Deleted
    Ideas could indeed be seen as organisms, each idea competes with others for territory, territory being humanity. But idea-organism you took as a example, communism, is largely withered and dead in modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Maybe instead of being angry at other people for doing x and doing y, you should recognize ideas as the true enemy and help resist their corruption?
    Isn't that an idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that close to the definition of a meme?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Not always, but my love of angel hair pasta sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by mudley View Post
    TLDR: I just got done watching Inception, have you guys seen it?!?!

Why yes, yes I have.
    Came here to say this. Oh, and I didn't plant that into your head.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Came here to say this. Oh, and I didn't plant that into your head.
    So YOU'RE the reason I had that strange dream last night!! Damn you!!!