Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Regulating Bullets in the US

Start this off by stating I am not a gun person. I do not own one, though my boyfriend and many in my family do. That stated, I've noticed something about the trend of gun violence and mass shootings in the US, thus the reason for this thread. I did not see a thread regarding this topic, so figured I'd create one. (If one such exists, apologies).

As the title suggests, this is something I've heard little discussion of. After just...way too many gun related crimes and massacres that are forgotten about and barely mentioned after a few days and weeks, because low and behold, there's yet another person with a gun doing awful things....it's really an idea that should be considered.

It's more than clear that our leaders won't do a damn thing about the device they're fired from, between the second amendment and our love of firearms ..but you'd think this would be something proposed. Think about it; we keep strict laws on drugs and alcohol, animals, and just about everything, but there's no reason I or anyone else can acquire these with almost no limitation, stockpiling rounds for the obscure and obscene chance we might need to use them for some Civil War 2.0.

You can buy them online, at a shopping center, even places like a convenience store. It serves one purpose, and without them that flashy chuck of metal is just a fashionable decoration. You could hit someone with it, sure: but there's way better tools for that. There culture of firearms isn't going anywhere, but this would be a step in a very good direction.

Won't win the fight that people don't need guns, but limits on how many bullets one can have if you're just using it for defense or sport really shouldn't matter. No one, no one needs the option to stockpile hundreds or thousands of bullets. If you're defending your home, you don't need a crate of them...people that do aren't the norm, and it's not like you can't get bullets for practice at most shooting ranges. You know, the place where you should be using them?

Could even create more outside shooting areas, have someone keep track of your shots like a normal person and return the rounds you don't use, etc..

Anywho, rant over. Just becoming frustrated with this nonsense that is completely unacceptable. We need to do more than "thoughts and prayers".
    CYOA comic updated regularly!
    http://dovashy.deviantart.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is... you can just make bullets. They're not complicated. Many people make their own to keep costs down.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Thing is... you can just make bullets. They're not complicated. Many people make their own to keep costs down.

Sure can. Can build guns too. Might not be a overly complicated process, but sure isn't something the average person cares to know how to do. Those that do, great. There's no one solution to this, you get that right?
    It's /something/. Something that could very well have prevented shootings in the past, or at the very least reduce the amount of carnage.

The number of rounds that someone has is a pretty irrelevant consideration. The vast majority of murders are handguns and the vast majority of those don't require all that many rounds to be fired. Your proposal mostly just trolls sport shooters, although I guess that might be a feature rather than a bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regulating bullets in the US has about as good of a chance of existing as regulating guns. Because I think everyone recognizes that regulating bullets is de-facto gun control.

Although I wouldn't mind leveraging taxation on bullets to counteract the negative social health effects...similar to alcohol and cigarettes.

Tax bullets and create a fund to pay for the funeral and some recompense to family members for every victim of a school shooting....for starters.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The number of rounds that someone has is a pretty irrelevant consideration. The vast majority of murders are handguns and the vast majority of those don't require all that many rounds to be fired. Your proposal mostly just trolls sport shooters, although I guess that might be a feature rather than a bug.
    I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. Really though, the idea that people have such easy access to weapons like the AR-15 is insane. The combination of power and what the ammo for it is designed to do is devastating. Here's a medical professional explaining the difference between being shot with a hand gun and an AR...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

Here's a snippet...

I was looking at a CT scan of one of the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who had been brought to the trauma center during my call shift. The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, with extensive bleeding. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage?

The reaction in the emergency room was the same. One of the trauma surgeons opened a young victim in the operating room, and found only shreds of the organ that had been hit by a bullet from an AR-15, a semi-automatic rifle which delivers a devastatingly lethal, high-velocity bullet to the victim. There was nothing left to repair, and utterly, devastatingly, nothing that could be done to fix the problem. The injury was fatal.

A year ago, when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale airport with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun, hitting 11 people in 90 seconds, I was also on call. It was not until I had diagnosed the third of the six victims who were transported to the trauma center that I realized something out-of-the-ordinary must have happened. The gunshot wounds were the same low velocity handgun injuries as those I diagnose every day; only their rapid succession set them apart. And all six of the victims who arrived at the hospital that day survived.

The AR is different. It's designed for an entirely different purpose and was not intended for civilian use.

You know, we found smoking in the US was harmful and we worked to reduce it, and we did, drastically. I wonder why we don't approach it more like the. We never made cigarettes illegal either. We targeted the corporations making them. We told them they had to restrict their advertising and we put restrictions on how they were made. Seems like if we don't want guns getting in people's hands, the thing to do is tell corporations to stop making all these guns. I know that telling a corporation to do a thing in the US ins heresy, but I think it would be a lot more effective than trying to regulate what guns people own.

Also where is my 10 year member badge. I was told there would be a 10 year member badge but I have a 7 year member badge. I would like to speak to the manager.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

There's are places where you can do that freely. Sports shooters? Are you referring to those fun gents who go out into the woods and fire a couple hundred rounds into a bunch of trees or a hillside? I do so love going out on a stroll through the woods and finding hundreds of shell casings scattered across the nature I'm trying to enjoy, not withholding the dozens of empty beer bottles.

Once again it's not a solution, there is no one thing we've can do. But you don't think not having little Billy lighting up his classmates with a gun he's practiced with isn't something worth thinking about? PLENTY of laws about the guns, but all you need is an ID to buy the thing they shoot. Heck, sometimes you don't even need that. It's absurd.

A few people not being able to go shoot a couple hundred rounds because they're bored is a small price to pay. As someone else stated, you can make the things. Most people who shoot that amount of rounds do, because bullets are expensive. Live in the sticks myself, and have shot and bought bullets before. They usually sell out within an hour around here for popular models, because some hicks decided they wanted to buy a bunch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Also where is my 10 year member badge. I was told there would be a 10 year member badge but I have a 7 year member badge. I would like to speak to the manager.
    "Join Date Dec 2008"

Looks like you have to wait until Dec.
    Forum badass alert:

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    "Join Date Dec 2008"

Looks like you have to wait until Dec.
    Ok where is my 9 year badge : P
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. Really though, the idea that people have such easy access to weapons like the AR-15 is insane. The combination of power and what the ammo for it is designed to do is devastating. Here's a medical professional explaining the difference between being shot with a hand gun and an AR...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

Here's a snippet...
    <snip>
    The AR is different. It's designed for an entirely different purpose and was not intended for civilian use.
    Comparing the kinetic energy of a handgun to a rifle and then declaring that the rifle is sinister because of its higher energy is a weird argument that I haven't heard before. A standardly equipped AR-15 isn't a particularly impressive weapon from a muzzle velocity perspective, it's just an odd comparison to make at all.

Hunting rifles have high muzzle energy as well - this has literally nothing to do whether they're "intended for civilian use".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dovashy View Post
    There's are places where you can do that freely. Sports shooters? Are you referring to those fun gents who go out into the woods and fire a couple hundred rounds into a bunch of trees or a hillside? I do so love going out on a stroll through the woods and finding hundreds of shell casings scattered across the nature I'm trying to enjoy, not withholding the dozens of empty beer bottles.

Once again it's not a solution, there is no one thing we've can do. But you don't think not having little Billy lighting up his classmates with a gun he's practiced with isn't something worth thinking about? PLENTY of laws about the guns, but all you need is an ID to buy the thing they shoot. Heck, sometimes you don't even need that. It's absurd.

A few people not being able to go shoot a couple hundred rounds because they're bored is a small price to pay. As someone else stated, you can make the things. Most people who shoot that amount of rounds do, because bullets are expensive. Live in the sticks myself, and have shot and bought bullets before. They usually sell out within an hour around here for popular models, because some hicks decided they wanted to buy a bunch.
    There's like three or four arguments mixed into this that are kind of all over the place. This isn't a serious proposal in any way, it's just "do something!" repackaged into a policy proposal that hasn't been given any real thought.

Comparing the kinetic energy of a handgun to a rifle and then declaring that the rifle is sinister because of its higher energy is a weird argument that I haven't heard before. A standardly equipped AR-15 isn't a particularly impressive weapon from a muzzle velocity perspective, it's just an odd comparison to make at all.

Hunting rifles have high muzzle energy as well - this has literally nothing to do whether they're "intended for civilian use".

- - - Updated - - -

There's like three or four arguments mixed into this that are kind of all over the place. This isn't a serious proposal in any way, it's just "do something!" repackaged into a policy proposal that hasn't been given any real thought.
    You seem to be in the "do nothing, piles of child corpses are the price of freedom" crowd when you just crap on any suggestion without an alternative. Maybe we should try some things, and if they don't work, great we learned something and can adapt. Because this do nothing we've been doing for decades? It fucking sucks.

You seem to be in the "do nothing, piles of child corpses are the price of freedom" crowd when you just crap on any suggestion without an alternative. Maybe we should try some things, and if they don't work, great we learned something and can adapt. Because this do nothing we've been doing for decades? It fucking sucks.
    Shooting down stupid ideas doesn't require that you personally possess better ideas. I think this idea obviously wouldn't do anything useful and would create a pointless expense and irritation for people that aren't doing anything wrong. I guess it would make some people feel like they've done something, but that doesn't really seem like a great societal gain to me.

Shooting down stupid ideas doesn't require that you personally possess better ideas. I think this idea obviously wouldn't do anything useful and would create a pointless expense and irritation for people that aren't doing anything wrong. I guess it would make some people feel like they've done something, but that doesn't really seem like a great societal gain to me.
    You think every idea to make a difference is stupid, but you don't have any ideas? Maybe we'll just ignore you then like we need to ignore Republicans for the US to move forward.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2018-02-23 at 05:45 PM.

You think they're stupid, but you don't have any ideas? Maybe we'll just ignore you then like we need to ignore Republicans for the US to move forward.
    I don't have any ideas that I think would work very well, no. Acknowledging that something's actually a challenging problem isn't an intellectually weaker position than throwing out solutions that seem destined to do nothing useful. You're not even arguing that this is a good idea, you're just arguing that we have to do something.

I don't really care if you ignore me. Have at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, we found smoking in the US was harmful and we worked to reduce it, and we did, drastically.
    There is something to be said for the irony of second-hand smoke, i.e. smokers hurting other people, being involved.

However, tobacco isn't in the Constitution, so here we are, with some states allowing assault rifles but not a cigarette on school grounds.

Deleted
    Many people make their own to keep costs down.
    Yeah... They don't cast the shells and bullet tips though (some people do cast the tips, almost nobody casts the shells but rather reuses spent ones), nor do they make the gunpowder from scratch. Those need to be acquired from somewhere, and they can be regulated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah... They don't cast the shells and bullet tips though (some people do cast the tips, almost nobody casts the shells but rather reuses spent ones), nor do they make the gunpowder from scratch. Those need to be acquired from somewhere, and they can be regulated.
    Not the shells, but the "tips" can just be cast out of lead. Shells are not hard either really. The only part you need to source is the caps.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Most shooters don't really care about getting shot so the idea that they care about the cost of a mass shooting is kind of silly.

Problems is guns and you can only solve a problem if you focus on the problem and not the stupid side issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any data out there that shows how many gun owners actually make their own bullets?

I can't imagine this is very common among gun owners. Especially those who view guns as protection rather than for hunting or sport.

Kind of reminds me of my bassoon playing days. (I know...random right?) You could make your own reeds, but it was a pain in the rear and most just bought them. Only the pros and people super into it really made their own.
    Forum badass alert: