Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Hehe. While a really cool firearm and I would love to own one, not something I would recommend just for target shooting and a beginner. Would be expensive, both the firearm and ammo.
    And original probably a fortune, but there are replicas or remakes, there are some that even do custom deals. The Ammo you are right about, but if it's a hobby she can save up.

Less is more, if you are going to get one for targeting, you need to a lot of practice until until your instincts become second nature. Depth perception, getting used to steadying your nerves and your mind.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    On any sane forum this thread wouldn't even be allowed.

Reported.
    Maybe you should stick to "safe space" forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to remind people this is a thread for someone looking for some assistance.

It's not a place to voice gun control, or your opinion about guns, or if you like guns or not.

That said, OT: I wouldn't recommend a 'small' gun or a pocket/purse gun for your first, especially for non-defense use. They kick hard and usually aren't as fun. I've got big hands, so I liked my Canik 9mm because it's solid. I used my cousins little pocket .380 and it was a task just to shoot straight, let alone accurately.
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-02-23 at 07:13 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Look into CZ pistols. They have some of the best ergonomics on the market, and thanks to internal slide rails their bore axis tends to be lower which helps with recoil. I really love my P-07.

Best advice is to do your best to lay hands on as many pistols as you can, preferably at a range where you can shoot them, before you buy one. Everyone is different and you need to find what works best for you.
    While I agree that CZ makes good pistols (I actually want to get a P-07 myself), and really agree with you point about firing some off to really get a feel, is CZ really the best place for a beginner? I mean they are mainly known for Double Action/Single Action pistols, which I wouldn't think would be the best starter type, especially for someone saying they are a bit smaller and weaker?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook
    You can't just put recreational in front of something to make it not a sport.
    All of your examples ... they involve those things I mentioned earlier on, stuff like rules, a system of points, maybe even teams.

Kicking a soccer ball around isn't playing soccer, it's kicking the ball around. Whacking a puck around the ice on a pond, has hockey like elements but it ain't hockey. The guy practicing his putting in the office at lunch is hitting a golf ball, but not playing golf. Going to a range with friends, firing some rounds down range, seeing who can get a better grouping, that's fun with friends, but it isn't competitive shooting.

OP stated a liking for archery, and enjoyment of the challenge of marksmanship. The word "sport" was used, but as a distinction from self defense. Hell, we don't even know if they are looking for a rifle or a pistol, things we'd be discussing if this were about competitive shooting.

I get it, people want to be edgy because there was a school shooting. There have been at least five already this year and we aren't even through February, and there were at least three other incidents where a gun was discharged but nobody was injured: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/558128...-shooting/amp/

Whether one agrees with it or not, the Second Amendment does protect the right to own firearms. At the rate the US is experiencing mass shootings of one kind or another, there probably won't be a time in 2018 where asking for advice on a new purchase isn't going to seem tone deaf. OP didn't ask how to buy a bump stock or make a ghost gun, they asked a simple, general question about a first purchase, and specified they weren't interested in it for self defense. For all the tragedies that keep making news, there are still a lot of people who just enjoy shooting and do it in safe, responsible ways.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    All of your examples ... they involve those things I mentioned earlier on, stuff like rules, a system of points, maybe even teams.

Kicking a soccer ball around isn't playing soccer, it's kicking the ball around. Whacking a puck around the ice on a pond, has hockey like elements but it ain't hockey. The guy practicing his putting in the office at lunch is hitting a golf ball, but not playing golf. Going to a range with friends, firing some rounds down range, seeing who can get a better grouping, that's fun with friends, but it isn't competitive shooting.

OP stated a liking for archery, and enjoyment of the challenge of marksmanship. The word "sport" was used, but as a distinction from self defense. Hell, we don't even know if they are looking for a rifle or a pistol, things we'd be discussing if this were about competitive shooting.
    Kicking around a ball is practicing soccer (a sport). Wacking a puck around the pond is practicing hockey (a sport). Shooting at something is practicing Target shooting (a sport).

Running is practicing Track and Field (a sport). Flat skiing is practicing Nordic skiing (a sport). Just because they have to plans to compete doesn't me they are not doing a sport.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2018-02-23 at 07:51 PM.

Why not? The DA pull might be slightly heavier, but the SA pull tends to be less than a striker fired pistol. And if you do a trigger job on something like the SP-01 the DA will barely be higher than a glock’s trigger and SA can be 3lbs or less. Oh, they also make the CZ P-10C. It doesn’t have internal slide rails but it is about the best striker fired gun on the market. Out of the box only the PPQ has a better trigger.
    Eh the change of DA to SA can be off putting to some, and I was also thinking of things like racking the slide etc, again all due to a new shooter saying they are smaller and weaker. My wife still struggles a bit with my 9mm, though admittedly she is much better at it now.
    Last edited by Casterbridge; 2018-02-23 at 07:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kicking around a ball is practicing soccer (a sport). Wacking a puck around the pond is practicing hockey (a sport). Shooting at something is practicing Target shooting (a sport).
    No rules, not a competition, it isn't a sport. There may be some overlap, but sometimes things are done just for the hell of it. At this point, I'll also direct you back to the moderator's comment that was posted while I was typing my last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazus
    I want to remind people this is a thread for someone looking for some assistance.

It's not a place to voice gun control, or your opinion about guns, or if you like guns or not.
    Our discussion is at this point a moot derail.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No rules, not a competition, it isn't a sport. There may be some overlap, but sometimes things are done just for the hell of it. At this point, I'll also direct you back to the moderator's comment that was posted while I was typing my last bit.

Our discussion is at this point a moot derail.
    So you are saying they are not practicing a sport?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are saying they are not practicing a sport?
    Take it up with the mods. We've been asked to keep things on topic, the mods are clearly aware of the thread and at this time are not moving it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Take it up with the mods. We've been asked to keep things on topic, the mods are clearly aware of the thread and at this time are not moving it.
    The mods never argued that it's not a sport. It's obviously someone looking to buy something and looking at advice. Believe it or not, their post could go as a general gun question or a sporting question. It's possible for a forum post to belong in more than one spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ghotihook Personally, I still favor the .22 LR for a starter. What do you suggest?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    @ghotihook Personally, I still favor the .22 LR for a starter. What do you suggest?
    I 100% agree. A .22 LR is what we shoot most of the time. Well I guess we should my buddies 9mm pistol a little or his Benelli shotgun. But the price of .22 bullets (got our last box of .22 for $30) and guns can't be beat. Also, shooting a scoped LR without the need of ear protection is awesome if you want to start out cheap. We shoot prone at 100yds without issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    There are, but they're expensive. It costs $10 to use a lane with my own weapon, but it costs anywhere from $150-500 to use a couple guns. I ended up buying my own pretty much because it was simply cheaper than renting.
    Yup, pretty much this. This is one of the big reasons I'm asking for recommendations, to get a list of actual names to try at the range. I appreciate the suggestions so far!

To anyone trying to bring gun control into this, please don't. Many countries allow firearm renting/purchase for sport and that's pretty much all I'll be saying on the subject, as it is not relevant at all. I've long been a fan of archery and that hobby has simply grown to include more weapons.

There are too many replies to respond to everyone individually, but to answer a few questions I've gotten:
    I kind of find rifles intimidating and am not sure I want to own one, so I'm probably looking for a handgun. Although, I think the gun I had the most fun with at the range was some kind of a bolt-action rifle. I liked needing to place a single accurate shot and it felt..."fluid" needing to load another bullet into the chamber with the bolt. I'm really, really not familiar with firearms so I have no idea who manufactured or know else or anything about it really. Sorry, I never thought I'd even be here asking for this kind of advice.

Regarding training and safety, I took multiple classes at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Always glad to hear someone has done this before purchasing their first firearm.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-lux-22-lr-5-rd-mag/

If you liked the idea of a rifle that you can shoot all day cheap, accurate, and won't wear your body out and ache your shoulder. I will always recommend this gun for a .22. It's a little pricey but it's worth every cent. If you want a scope I'd go for the american model but you can most certainly put one on this as well, you will just get a better cheek weld and sight picture with the american. It is bolt action and I love this thing. It's not overly large so it won't be intimidating to shoot.

I don't know what kind of distance you have at this range and if you are looking for something to reach out further if you are into marksmanship since you like archery.I love my recurve and I love bolt action rifles so I can give you some recommendations there. Don't listen to people trying to recommend shit with pink all over it lol. I guess because you're a girl you need a girly gun?

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Yup, pretty much this. This is one of the big reasons I'm asking for recommendations, to get a list of actual names to try at the range. I appreciate the suggestions so far!

To anyone trying to bring gun control into this, please don't. Many countries allow firearm renting/purchase for sport and that's pretty much all I'll be saying on the subject, as it is not relevant at all. I've long been a fan of archery and that hobby has simply grown to include more weapons.

There are too many replies to respond to everyone individually, but to answer a few questions I've gotten:
    I kind of find rifles intimidating and am not sure I want to own one, so I'm probably looking for a handgun. Although, I think the gun I had the most fun with at the range was some kind of a bolt-action rifle. I liked needing to place a single accurate shot and it felt..."fluid" needing to load another bullet into the chamber with the bolt. I'm really, really not familiar with firearms so I have no idea who manufactured or know else or anything about it really. Sorry, I never thought I'd even be here asking for this kind of advice.

The idea of asking for a gun advise on a gaming forum is very bad in the first place. 95% of the time people are going to talk out of their ass, and you have no criteria to separate the 5% from the rest of the nonsense. Take it with a grain of salt, but if you are interested in purely sporting component of shooting, you might consider this:
    1. If you look for accuracy and range, go for bolt action rifles, similar to M700 or Savage 110 (the latter is easier to convert).
    2. .22 is probably ideal for a newcomer, being cheap and having little to no recoil. You can convert it to a larger caliber if you want later. .22 will carry you to about 2-300m. 5.56 is limited somewhere around 500m.
    3. Please keep your gun on range at all times. Rent a storage box there. Or invest in a secure gun locker at home (not an ideal solution). Never leave it in places where it is relatively easy to access. That includes places like wardrobes, under the bed, attic, etc... It is either secure and locked in a safe, or you are just asking for trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    @-aiko-
    That's insane. I can rent a pistol at my local range for $10(plus ammo costs) and trade it as many times as I like. The lane fee is $20/hr for non-members.
    The way it worked at this place was they had their standard weapons (mostly handguns that I could tell) that could be traded at no extra cost but ammo. Then they had their 'specialty' weapons (mostly rifles that I could tell) that needed to be rented individually, ranging from like $10 to $50 per gun.

NRA still has the best classes in Firearm use and safety. I suggest those before making any purchases.