Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warlock Vanilla Spec

Hi,

SM/Ruin (https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IE0bhRbkAZZgx0tM0z) .. I realize this is one of the main PvE/PvP (non tank group spec) and wanted to ask if there are more specs people play for both PvE and PvP?

DS/Ruin. Sacrifice Succubus for 15% Shadow Damage and spam Shadowbolt, most of the Locks I raided with on private realms used this spec earlier on.

Deleted
    It's unsafe to assume it will be 1.12 talents.

but yeah, there's less options when it comes to raiding no matter what but for PvE/PvP in general there is always more than one good playstyle. Even on 1.1 talents.
    Last edited by mmoc30b4190132; 2018-02-15 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's 1.12 talents then either DS/Ruin or SM/Ruin depending on what your raid needs and how many warlocks you have.

For PvP I honestly highly recommend Conflag/Nightfall for a build because having a strong instant cast damaging spell on top of your already quite potent CC and survivability is SUCH a gamechanger. It's what I used to play with back in the day and it's a lot of fun.
    For reference on this build, youtube Goth, a warlock that used to play on Nostalrius and whatnot. He's a perfect example of just how well you can get that build to function.

Here you go.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Warlock_builds/Level_60

Warlock is one of the classes in vanilla that has many good builds to choose from depending what you want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    If it's 1.12 talents then either DS/Ruin or SM/Ruin depending on what your raid needs and how many warlocks you have.

For PvP I honestly highly recommend Conflag/Nightfall for a build because having a strong instant cast damaging spell on top of your already quite potent CC and survivability is SUCH a gamechanger. It's what I used to play with back in the day and it's a lot of fun.
    For reference on this build, youtube Goth, a warlock that used to play on Nostalrius and whatnot. He's a perfect example of just how well you can get that build to function.
    +1 for NF/Conflag. I played this in vanilla and the instant burst is great in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Hi,

SM/Ruin (https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IE0bhRbkAZZgx0tM0z) .. I realize this is one of the main PvE/PvP (non tank group spec) and wanted to ask if there are more specs people play for both PvE and PvP?
    Lvling/ end game farming build :

SM/DS ( other specs outshine it for endgame pve/pvp ).

PvE:

SM/Ruin
    DS/Ruin
    Conflag/NF

PvP:

SL/NF ( most op build for 1v1s and open world)
    Deep destro ( 5/5/44)<-- requires end game gear to function properly , around T2/warlord
    SM/Ruin (with pvp talents)
    Emberstorm/DS ( soulfire one shot build , no pet so rarely useful outside bgs ).

You're going to have to do a lot of respeccing in order to perform well, though SM/Ruin is probably the most versatile spec you can use, and will allow you to perform relatively well in both PvP and PvE, though it's not the top performing spec for either.
    Top PvE spec: DS/Ruin
    Blood Pact PvE spec: SM/Ruin
    Top Arathi Basin (flag defense) and World PvP spec: Nightfall/Soul Link
    Top Warsong Gulch spec: ~31/20/0 with maxed Curse of Exhaustion
    Classic WoW Content Creator - Daily Streams and Bi-Weekly Videos!
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/staysafetv
    YouTube: https://youtube.com/staysafetv

I'm looking forward to Warlocking in Classic. I started retail in BC.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post

PvE:

SM/Ruin
    DS/Ruin
    Conflag/NF
    No one raids at a high level with a Conflag spec. T1-T2 Fire doesn't work and AQ+ no one would let warlocks have a debuff slot for immolate. Any extra slots go to corruptions from locks specced SM/Ruin because it's vastly more DPS.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe View Post
    You're going to have to do a lot of respeccing in order to perform well, though SM/Ruin is probably the most versatile spec you can use, and will allow you to perform relatively well in both PvP and PvE, though it's not the top performing spec for either.
    Top PvE spec: DS/Ruin
    Blood Pact PvE spec: SM/Ruin
    Top Arathi Basin (flag defense) and World PvP spec: Nightfall/Soul Link
    Top Warsong Gulch spec: ~31/20/0 with maxed Curse of Exhaustion
    SM Ruin endup outshining DS/Ruin in the end for PVE. As a former Deus Vox warlock I come from fairly good authority, especially if you knew how to position your imp during fights he would add the extra damage to put you above DS/Ruin. Also many guilds ran only 1 lock.

For PVP it was either Soul Link Nightfall or Soul Link Shadow Burn depending on what you were doing. If you had significantly better gear then everyone(T2.5 or T3) you could go Conflag/Nightfall

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    No one raids at a high level with a Conflag spec. T1-T2 Fire doesn't work and AQ+ no one would let warlocks have a debuff slot for immolate. Any extra slots go to corruptions from locks specced SM/Ruin because it's vastly more DPS.
    Ye i was meant to keep the conflag/ Nf for pvp , dunno why i placed it in pve.

To be fair though, I have had locks in my guild run conflag in AQ, probably not with NF though.

Great feedback all much thanks!

Warlock is the least played spec (pure DPS) during classic .. Warlocks are not only a HS dispensary, ONE is forced into improved Imp spec (for tank group stam buff) .. Add to that agro/threat and I can see why Mages are the most played pure DPS -or Hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post

PvE:

SM/Ruin
    DS/Ruin
    Conflag/NF

PvP:

SL/NF ( most op build for 1v1s and open world)
    Deep destro ( 5/5/44)<-- requires end game gear to function properly , around T2/warlord
    SM/Ruin (with pvp talents)
    Emberstorm/DS ( soulfire one shot build , no pet so rarely useful outside bgs ).
    NF/SL is the damage there? Can it kill?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    SM Ruin endup outshining DS/Ruin in the end for PVE. As a former Deus Vox warlock I come from fairly good authority, especially if you knew how to position your imp during fights he would add the extra damage to put you above DS/Ruin. Also many guilds ran only 1 lock.

For PVP it was either Soul Link Nightfall or Soul Link Shadow Burn depending on what you were doing. If you had significantly better gear then everyone(T2.5 or T3) you could go Conflag/Nightfall
    PvP wise, NF/SL works better than SM/Ruin? NF/SL can kill?

PS: NF/SL would you build it to Life Drain?

It is less powerful than it's SL/SL tbc version, but the durability is insane, especially when geared.

It can hands down outlast any other class/spec as long as they don't out gear you drastically, all those fancy pvp videos you see of mages and rogues mean nothing to you coz they downright tickle with proper pet management + drain tanking, just make sure your pet isn't banished.

Heck you can even outlast tanks due to sustain and can drain a healer dry of their mana , though in most cases no one will want anything to do with you once they see you're soul link spec, and you're slower than a moving turtle with no tools or enough dmg to kill something fast enough or stop it from running away.

In other words you are quite literally the best pvp tank in the game with the worst mobility possible, this is further emphasized with gearing ( more stamina heavy build instead of raw spell damage ).

As for talents/ rotation, you generally never cast Sbolt outside NF proc unless no one is attacking you, it's typically just dots/drain spec, if u get locked on shadow spam searing pain.

The build I use is this : https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IA0bNobZbxuzgxot

Some points can be shifted around if you want to grim reach : https://classicdb.ch/?talent#IA0bhoZbxuzgxot, your remaining 4 points can go anywhere between suppression,fel concentration and grim reach ( with 2 points in nightfall obviously).

Though in most cases you won't need the extra range due to the style of the spec which is mostly about dealing with people that come to you and not trying to hit things that are running away or out-distancing.

I also highly recommend you at least put 3 points in fel concentration due to the drain tanking playstyle.

Some tip regarding the spec , walk around with voidwalker, when combat starts sacrifice void for the shield and fel dom summon voidwalker if fighting physical dmg class or felhunter if fighting casters.

Although you could use fel hunter vs paladins due to the fact that they aren't bursty enough and mostly play the outlasting game as well, you will probably have more use dispelling their HoJ and silencing their heals than a flat out 10% physical reduction, same applies to druids. although I highly recommend you keep the voidwalker vs enh shaman due to the rng nature of their burst(you might need to sac ur 2nd voidwalker if needed ).
    Last edited by wholol; 2018-02-20 at 02:29 PM.

Great feedback all much thanks!

Warlock is the least played spec (pure DPS) during classic .. Warlocks are not only a HS dispensary, ONE is forced into improved Imp spec (for tank group stam buff) .. Add to that agro/threat and I can see why Mages are the most played pure DPS -or Hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

PvP wise, NF/SL works better than SM/Ruin? NF/SL can kill?

PS: NF/SL would you build it to Life Drain?
    It depends what you are doing, 1v1 there was not much that could beat a soul link lock as they took reduced damage and either had reduced physical damage or spell damage depending on pet and could resummon the pet almost instantly. In Vanilla almost every spec damage comes from shadowbolt and what ever else you get from your dots. Once geared you were an 8000 HP monster that had half of the damage you take transfer to the pet and then after that still had master summoner buffs that came with demo(reduced physical damage or increased spell resists). Drain life was not a strong damage spell but you would use it to restore health if you did not have a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Seconded.

It was either SM/Ruin or DS/Ruin for PvE. DS/Ruin is "safer" because you did not have to care about pet which could easily die if not managed.

If your guild was letting Warlocks use corruption, your guild was improperly and suboptimally using their debuff slots. Also... running only 1 Warlock? MINIMUM, top performing guilds will run 2 Warlocks. 1 for Curse of Recklessness and 1 for Curse of Elements.
    Classic WoW Content Creator - Daily Streams and Bi-Weekly Videos!
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/staysafetv
    YouTube: https://youtube.com/staysafetv

Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe View Post
    If your guild was letting Warlocks use corruption, your guild was improperly and suboptimally using their debuff slots. Also... running only 1 Warlock? MINIMUM, top performing guilds will run 2 Warlocks. 1 for Curse of Recklessness and 1 for Curse of Elements.
    With 16 debuff slots and 1 or 2 locks there was room for corruption. Fairy Fire, sunders, demo shout, thunderclap, ignite, Curse of ..... x2, scorch, imp shadow bolt. That is the 10 Priority Debuffs anything over and above that is round robin for Damage and corruption deal more damage than almost all other dots available and gives instant shadowbolts.... The only argument you can have for a 11th is Hunters mark if you have 4 or more hunters. That leaves 6 slots for Deep wounds, fireball debuff and that is it. You shopuld not have a shadow priest in raid so no shadow weaving, mindflay, etc, rogues should be using poisons that do not leave debuffs(except in special situations where you want to slow a cast), And maybe...maybe a Judgement of Wisdom/Light..... But once your tanks get strong enough you can start dropping Demo shout and Thunderclap on many fights, giving you even more slots..... Corruption is the best dot in Vanilla.....get you head right. And there is room for 2-3 of them. There is one other but that is dependent on your guild getting a thunderfury.
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2018-02-24 at 04:47 AM.

With 16 debuff slots and 1 or 2 locks there was room for corruption. Fairy Fire, sunders, demo shout, thunderclap, ignite, Curse of ..... x2, scorch, imp shadow bolt. That is the 10 Priority Debuffs anything over and above that is round robin for Damage and corruption deal more damage than almost all other dots available and gives instant shadowbolts.... The only argument you can have for a 11th is Hunters mark if you have 4 or more hunters. That leaves 6 slots for Deep wounds, fireball debuff and that is it. You shopuld not have a shadow priest in raid so no shadow weaving, mindflay, etc, rogues should be using poisons that do not leave debuffs(except in special situations where you want to slow a cast), And maybe...maybe a Judgement of Wisdom/Light..... But once your tanks get strong enough you can start dropping Demo shout and Thunderclap on many fights, giving you even more slots..... Corruption is the best dot in Vanilla.....get you head right. And there is room for 2-3 of them. There is one other but that is dependent on your guild getting a thunderfury.
    What was the time line of debuff slots? Did it not start with x8?

What was the time line of debuff slots? Did it not start with x8?
    Yeah but they will not make that mistake again. There were threads of complaint about debuff slots. Remember this is going to be for the most part set it and forget it vanilla game. There will be balancing and changes made but they are not wanting constant maintenance as that equals less dollars