Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

what would make Monks more appealing to you?

I just took a look at https://realmpop.com/us.html about class statistics and it seems that on both, US and EU, Monks are the (edit: almost) least played class.

This was pretty surprising to me personally, I've played a Brewmaster for a while and found it to be one of the most fun tanks in the game.

So I would be interested in your opinion:

1. Why do you think Monks are the least played class?
    2. What would you do to make them more appealing to the players?

Personally I think one of the problem(s)(?) could be that they are very limited with the weapons they can use. Melee DDs could get some new sword wielding animations. What do you think?
    Last edited by Maarius; 2018-02-24 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, one of the major reasons why Monk is one of the lowest played classes is that after DKs were added as a hero class it felt silly to have the next class start at level 1 instead of a higher level. That being said, I leveled my monk up in the first few weeks of MoP and I've loved it ever since.

Melee has some very flashy classes right now, like Fury, Ret and Frost DK, but monk only has 1 really flashy spell FoF. It's hard to make spell affects look flashy when all they do is punch and kick so there's no weapons to have trail affects and such like all other melee have atm. So finding some way to make monks feel flashier without being silly would be nice.

Also like druids, monk could've had 4 specs because of the 4 celestials that monks gain strength from.

They are probably not played much because of the aesthetics of the class. Many people want an edgy class like demon hunter, death knight, warlock, rogue or at least an undead race. A pretty big slice of the playerbase that prefers to go the other way and play a do gooder class roll paladin. Then you have people with low latency or who must have a pet and they roll hunter. Some people just main 1 class and never or rarely change and monks were added late. Monks are excluded as a choice by many different subgroups so i can see them being underrepresented.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mistweaver started out fun in MoP, and has just kept taking steps backward ever since. I rather like WW, haven't tried BM yet

Kung Fu is awesome just not in Warcraft

I stopped playing Monk after they nerfed Katsuo's Eclipse. Not because of that damage nerf, but because the quality of life change made it an absolute blast to play, with the abilities flowing pretty much seamlessly with the reduced Chi cost. I swapped to Demo lock and loving it, but would definitely look at what they've done with Monk in BFA!

7+ Year Old Account
    Let Goblins be Monks and ill roll one right now.

Deleted
    Giving them actual lore and not having their entire identity hinge on what is now an irrelevant expansion would be start. Blizzard had the option and absolutely blew it during Legion unfortunately.

Deleted
    I asked a few friends of mine and the answer was always the same: Patch Rollercoaster, One patch they are awesome as fuck and in the next they are absolutely useless, and that happens across the entire expansion.

They would not mind if they were kept in the middle, but the up/down is too much for most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Let Goblins be Monks and ill roll one right now.
    This. That said.. I do actually play one. I'd be much happier though.

Martial arts/kung fu bullshit is incredibly dull in an RPG. I don't want to jab people with my fist, or high kick them. I want to be a slayer with my sword or caster of spells.

I can't stand martial arts "HI YAH!!!" bullshit. The entire premise of MoP just doesn't seem to fit in a fantasy game like WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was excited for Monks until I saw that every race uses the same 3 *cough* stupid *cough* fighting styles. Maybe I'd actually play one if there were race-specific martial arts. And sure, yes, I know the lore behind the class is that "Pandaren taught the other races how to be monks" but consider this: that's stupid and the other races already had their own unique forms of unarmed combat.

Mistweaver sucked at the beginning of the expansion for progression raiding, so I swapped to shaman. They had no utility.

WW was atrocious for most of the expansion and, outside of a few encounters, BRM wasn't anything special either.
    Last edited by Awsumpossum; 2018-02-24 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octagonecologyst View Post
    Giving them actual lore and not having their entire identity hinge on what is now an irrelevant expansion would be start. Blizzard had the option and absolutely blew it during Legion unfortunately.
    Hm? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have no lore outside of Pandaria. We had one rogue Brewmaster in WC3, but I think this is it. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Karrados View Post
    I asked a few friends of mine and the answer was always the same: Patch Rollercoaster, One patch they are awesome as fuck and in the next they are absolutely useless, and that happens across the entire expansion.

They would not mind if they were kept in the middle, but the up/down is too much for most of them.
    Yah honestly this. I think all three monk specs are a blast to play, but man they get the short end each Xpac it feels. Plus, they're not faceroll easy - you can't spam spells and abilities to get good results. They require extra thought. I find that more interesting and rewarding, but i know that a lot of people want to cruise their way to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrados View Post

but doesn't this happen to pretty much all the classes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Martial arts/kung fu bullshit is incredibly dull in an RPG. I don't want to jab people with my fist, or high kick them. I want to be a slayer with my sword or caster of spells.

I can't stand martial arts "HI YAH!!!" bullshit. The entire premise of MoP just doesn't seem to fit in a fantasy game like WoW.
    they could give them a sword

Deleted
    monks are already appealing to me. I just don't have time to play every class. I did play him during the first 2 tiers of the expansion, but then stopped and stared playing my DK as my alt. The only problem, wich isn't a problem but the reason why i dropped it for the time being is because monks and paladins do the same. Tank/healer/dps. I wanted something a bit different.
    Also, i'm already familiar with the plate gear so i know what to look out for.

Give them back all the fun abilities and get rid of this streamlined version.. It is terrible

Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    Give them back all the fun abilities and get rid of this streamlined version.. It is terrible
    I missed MoP when it was new, what fun abilities did they have?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post

Monks were literally in fucking Stratholme from Vanilla.