Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.70ca6cf82fed

So CNN released the emails. Doesn't seem like they "scripted" his question sat all, but rather cut it down in size a bit without changing the context of his actual question.

@Dacien
    Okay, so it looks like he felt he was censored by having his detailed prefacing about arming teachers distilled down to a single question. CNN deserves credit for including a prefacing argumentative sentence in the question they told him he had to "stick to".

The question about veterans seems to have been completely taken off the table.

You look at the things Cameron Kasky was allowed to say, the detailed lengths he was able to go into in his pro-gun control position, and other students were allowed a detailed preface, it gives off a weird vibe, although other students were also limited to single questions. I could have swore there were single questions, I'm trying to find them in the transcripts.

According to Haab, the sequence of events went like this: Please prepare a speech, submitted a speech. Never mind the speech, prepare some questions, submitted questions. Okay, forget those questions, here's one question we've worded out for you.

We don't have the phone call recordings, so it's really up in the air about all that was discussed, but that does strike a bit like they were open to a speech or multiple questions, especially considering other students were offered this opportunity, but then saw the speech and questions, and settled for one short question.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2018-02-24 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Okay, so it looks like he felt he was censored by having his detailed prefacing about arming teachers distilled down to a single question. CNN deserves credit for including a prefacing argumentative sentence in the question they told him he had to "stick to".

The question about veterans seems to have been completely taken off the table.

You look at the things Cameron Kasky was allowed to say, the detailed lengths he was able to go into in his pro-gun control position, and other students were allowed a detailed preface, it gives off a weird vibe, although other students were also limited to single questions.

According to Haab, the sequence of events went like this: Please prepare a speech, submitted a speech. Never mind the speech, prepare some questions, submitted questions. Okay, forget those questions, here's one question we've worded out for you.

We don't have the phone call recordings, so it's really up in the air about all that was discussed, but that does strike a bit like they were open to a speech or multiple questions, especially considering other students were offered this opportunity, but then saw the speech and questions, and settled for one, short question.
    No, he said that they wanted to give him a "scripted" question. They did not. They simply told him the same thing they told all who wanted to ask a question - keep it short so that we get get the maximum number of questions in. He was treated no different than any other student.

As for "allowed to say", do you think CNN really controlled what those kids said once the event started? I mean, sure, they could have cut mics, and the moderator did step in from time to time, but those kids said whatever the fuck they wanted to. Just like this kid could have. You'r basically blaming CNN for teenagers behaving like...well, teenagers. Which CNN like...can't control.

Haab, at least his father, is not an honest actor. Given that he's already presented doctored emails to conservative media, there's zero reason to trust him at all.

So you're basically provided evidence that the kid, or at least his father, blatantly lied about CNN, but you're still siding with them and treating CNN like the bad guy.

If this is going to be your position in the face of facts that contradict your point of view, then you're not any more of an honest actor than the kids father who doctored emails before sending them to conservative press.

No, he said that they wanted to give him a "scripted" question. They did not. They simply told him the same thing they told all who wanted to ask a question - keep it short so that we get get the maximum number of questions in. He was treated no different than any other student.

As for "allowed to say", do you think CNN really controlled what those kids said once the event started? I mean, sure, they could have cut mics, and the moderator did step in from time to time, but those kids said whatever the fuck they wanted to. Just like this kid could have. You'r basically blaming CNN for teenagers behaving like...well, teenagers. Which CNN like...can't control.

Haab, at least his father, is not an honest actor. Given that he's already presented doctored emails to conservative media, there's zero reason to trust him at all.

So you're basically provided evidence that the kid, or at least his father, blatantly lied about CNN, but you're still siding with them and treating CNN like the bad guy.

If this is going to be your position in the face of facts that contradict your point of view, then you're not any more of an honest actor than the kids father who doctored emails before sending them to conservative press.
    I evaluated the information and came to my conclusion. "He needs to stick to this" is quite synonymous with "stick to the script", I don't think there's some great dishonesty being perpetrated here by Haab in his comment about that.

Kasky went into great detail for some time in his gun-control speech, Michelle Lapido was allowed to go into great detail, we would need to see if these students were told to "stick to" single questions and just went off on lengthy speeches to the chagrin of the townhall staff; we don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    When shills forget to turn on their proxy locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Weren't you the one saying how bad it was people were "using these kids" even though now you want to use this one kid's unproven claims so you can make it seem like some news channel is evil?
    I found his claims credible. Nobody knows for certain quite yet, but they seemed to me to be credible, and I acted accordingly.

Remember Roy Moore? Those claims were unproven, but they were absolutely credible. If evidence emerged that exonerated him, I would change my tune, but that doesn't mean I would be wrong in rendering a personal verdict on the credibility of the claims, which I absolutely did.

I evaluated the information and came to my conclusion. "He needs to stick to this" is quite synonymous with "stick to the script", I don't think there's some great dishonesty being perpetrated here by Haab in his comment about that.

Kasky went into great detail for some time in his gun-control speech, Michelle Lapido was allowed to go into great detail, we would need to see if these students were told to "stick to" single questions and just went off on lengthy speeches to the chagrin of the townhall staff; we don't know.
    Yes, the question that is his question, just cut down and agreed to by him on the phone. He needs to stick to the short question in the interest of time, not the huge, nearly identical but long winded, question that he wanted to ask.

Again, CNN can't control what the kids say at the event without cutting their mics. Do you think they approved purple shirt kids jabs at Rubio? Hell no, the kid just fucking said it because these are teenagers. This is pretty fucked up for a "moderate" conservative, dude, and makes it difficult to respond to you as an honest actor.

I found his claims credible. Nobody knows for certain quite yet, but they seemed to me to be credible, and I acted accordingly
    Except they've already been debunked and your response is, "Yeah, well that doesn't change my opinion."
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-02-24 at 04:01 AM.

Yes, the question that is his question, just cut down and agreed to by him on the phone. He needs to stick to the short question in the interest of time, not the huge, nearly identical but long winded, question that he wanted to ask.

Again, CNN can't control what the kids say at the event without cutting their mics. Do you think they approved purple shirt kids jabs at Rubio? Hell no, the kid just fucking said it because these are teenagers. You're being as disgusting as the conservative media who are trying to exploit these kids. This is pretty fucked up for a "moderate" conservative, dude, and makes it difficult to respond to you as an honest actor.
    My first instinct is to always say I'm wrong, it really is, Edge. I'm rather proud of being willing to admit when irrefutable facts come out that prove me wrong, to be willing to do so readily. Sometimes too quickly. I've quickly admitted to being wrong before only to have details come out later that showed my admission to be premature.

I can't see how you can read what I've said and see me as being disgusting. I evaluated what has been said, and I cannot in good faith say, "This was a complete fabrication based on lies." I think the email release adds clarity to the claims by Haab, I think it elucidates what his beef was, but I think it's far, far from being a settled matter.

His choice of words about his speech being "scripted", when he was actually told "Stick to this", are really not terribly convincing as examples of the complete fabrication of the entire story. Neither is the argument that since the speech he was allegedly asked to write was truncated down to a single question comprised of his own question, he wasn't denied the same opportunity as Kasky or Lapido, who were allowed to go on at length. I detailed most of my rationale in my original response to your mention. You seem to be suggesting that CNN told Kasky and Lapido to say one question and nothing more, and that they just went off-script, that's what you seem to be implying. If I have that wrong, feel free to correct me. But if that's not true, if CNN was gladly handing over the mic to these kids for a great amount of time to espouse gun-control measures, yet told Haab to reduce his speech to a single question and "stick to" it, that has a bad look.

And as I said before, we still don't know. We don't have the phone conversations. We don't know what the dialogue was between Kasky or Lapido and the townhall staff, what they were told. The information is so incomplete, it's simply too early for me to be granted the opportunity to admit that I was wrong and to move on.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2018-02-24 at 04:11 AM.

His choice of words about his speech being "scripted", when he was actually told "Stick to this",
    https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/statu...90121299791872

You mean, literally one of the questions that he sent over to CNN verbatim?

Read the whole chain, you're starting assuming the right wing narrative is correct. The father doctored the email to remove, "that he submitted." from it to imply that this was not a question from Colton but rather a question given to Colton

It's not.

Welp Looks like this story was False after all.
    Haab got confused.
    https://www.snopes.com/did-cnn-give-...vor-questions/
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/statu...90121299791872

You mean, literally one of the questions that he sent over to CNN verbatim?

Read the whole chain, you're starting assuming the right wing narrative is correct. The father doctored the email to remove, "that he submitted." from it to imply that this was not a question from Colton but rather a question given to Colton

It's not.
    But his narrative is that he was asked to give a speech, and offer multiple questions, and then after that speech was submitted, and veteran guard and armed teacher questions were submitted, the response was "Here's one question you need to stick to."

But his narrative is that he was asked to give a speech, and offer multiple questions, and then after that speech was submitted, and veteran guard and armed teacher questions were submitted, the response was "Here's one question you need to stick to."
    Please cite where CNN asked them to give a speech at the event. Please cite where CNN said that kids would be able to ask multiple questions.

It's routine to request multiple submissions of a question and whittle down to one. Providing multiple ensures that there's a greater chance that you'll have at least one "good" question amongst them, rather than giving you a single shot by submitting only one.

Please cite where CNN asked them to give a speech at the event. Please cite where CNN said that kids would be able to ask multiple questions.
    It's amazing people act like this is some scandal when all they did was just give him a condensed version of the things he wrote. The Questions were WAY too long.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

"His narrative is".

That's his claim. He said as much. I'm not making a positive claim here, I'm telling you what he said. Do we have proof that he's lying? No, we don't. So how can I admit to this all being a huge lie if I don't have evidence of it being so?

Again, there's not enough information.

"His narrative is".

That's his claim. He said as much. I'm not making a positive claim here, I'm telling you what he said. Do we have proof that he's lying? No, we don't. So how can I admit to this all being a huge lie if I don't have evidence of it being so?
    So it's he said she said territory yet again? That's why Conspiracies are so amazing. It's so easy to confuse and distract people.

"His narrative is".
    His story. The fathers story. Because he can't actually provide evidence of this like he did of the doctored CNN email that CNN fucking provided the full text of to prove the father a fucking liar.

Except we have literally no proof to back up his claim, meanwhile CNN has provided proof to back up theirs and by doing so proven at least the father to be a fucking liar.

So why are you inclined to believe the father who has already established himself to be a brazen liar.

"His narrative is".

Again, there's not enough information.
    So the email chain isn't enough proof for you? What do we need? A video of him writing out the emails?

His story. The fathers story. Because he can't actually provide evidence of this like he did of the doctored CNN email that CNN fucking provided the full text of to prove the father a fucking liar.

Except we have literally no proof to back up his claim, meanwhile CNN has provided proof to back up theirs and by doing so proven at least the father to be a fucking liar.

So why are you inclined to believe the father who has already established himself to be a brazen liar.
    The student, Colton Haab, told Tucker Carlson that he was originally asked to write a speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    So the email chain isn't enough proof for you? What do we need? A video of him writing out the emails?
    He needs FOX News telling him what to think, since he can't.
    Impeach the MF.

The student, Colton Haab, told Tucker Carlson that he was originally asked to write a speech.
    And I'm sure he has emails or some actual evidence to support this? Specifically the part where he would be able to give said speech during the town hall. Because asking for speech submissions for something like this is like asking folks to submit a cover letter.

Because the second part of the story already got debunked, with the father being, again proven a god damn liar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can compel something to be true with pure willful ignorance, but don't let me stop you trying.