Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It isn't. It's just a cash grab since the last 2 they tried ended up with Trion get absolutely hammered on for it.

Which were a 100 dollar mount lootbox and selling current tier raid gear on the store.
    Yeah, that's what really surprises me is that the offer appears to be nothing more than a way of grabbing some cash from players. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Yeah, that's what really surprises me is that the offer appears to be nothing more than a way of grabbing some cash from players. Crazy.
    To be fair if they announced actual Classic I would have absolutely jumped at it. I've even said I'd pay a sub for it.

But this isn't what it is. At this point I'm better off sticking with Old School Runescape until Classic WoW is out.

OSRS does it absolutely right because it asks the players and polls them for new content or how the old school client is changed without drastically compromising it and is careful about how it's done. All Trion did was ask a bunch of fanboys/white knights at Pax rather than the general community and then proceed to downgrade what is already a messy client and throw excuses out on why they can't implement the older systems.

If Trion had gone on their forums and asked "Do you want Rift Prime or Rift Classic" I think it's safe to say from what I've read that the resounding majority would have voted Classic. This doesn't appeal to the oldschool Rift player at all because even oldschool players are saying they will be avoiding this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I feel like giving Rift a chance again every now and then, but then I remember to myself...Why bother, others games or WoW.

I really did enjoy the game for the 2-4 months I played it. Loved my rift-blinking rogue.
    I had that mentality a while ago.

"Eh I'll give em another chance maybe they will improve". And of course they didn't.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-24 at 07:29 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Based on what I know, there's no way any of the dungeons and raids will be pre-nerf either (because they don't actually have that data any more). There's no point in this concept except to swindle a few people.

But this isn't what it is. At this point I'm better off sticking with Old School Runescape until Classic WoW is out.

OSRS does it absolutely right because it asks the players and polls them for new content or how the old school client is changed without drastically compromising it and is careful about how it's done.
    Offtopic: OSRS is great I hope WoW copy's there system about changes.

Ontopic: Like I have said and so have others this is nothing about a lazy cash grab. There is many examples on how you can do classic servers and Trion ignored them. Just look at EQ1,OSRS as two examples on how it could have been handled.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Offtopic: OSRS is great I hope WoW copy's there system about changes.
    Or, ya know, no changes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Based on what I know, there's no way any of the dungeons and raids will be pre-nerf either (because they don't actually have that data any more). There's no point in this concept except to swindle a few people.
    Thats the same shit Blizzard fed us.

They have to code in a backup.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was actually discussed and explained by the Devs on a Live stream about 3-4 weeks back, they do have the original pre-nerf raids, Hammerknell was specifically mentioned, the issue is that the old, pre nerf bosses share the same unique ID as current bosses but they did say they'll try and get around that to get as close to the original raids as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I feel like giving Rift a chance again every now and then, but then I remember to myself...Why bother, others games or WoW.

I really did enjoy the game for the 2-4 months I played it. Loved my rift-blinking rogue.
    I was about to type something very similar to this but decided to just quote you instead. XD I played for about 3-4 months myself. I'm too invested in FFXIV to play another MMO right now.

I absolutely love the Nightblade class. I wish I could just take it and bring it with me to other MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    It was actually discussed and explained by the Devs on a Live stream about 3-4 weeks back, they do have the original pre-nerf raids, Hammerknell was specifically mentioned, the issue is that the old, pre nerf bosses share the same unique ID as current bosses but they did say they'll try and get around that to get as close to the original raids as possible.
    Even if Trion do still have all their original raid boss data, there are still a lot of hurdles to overcome if they're wanting to do this properly.

The issue with trying to recreate the old raids with the modern game is that there have been far too many changes that can shift the balance that need to be corrected for. For example, they buffed everyones base HP going into Nightmare Tide. That's something that need to be corrected, by either reverting the change and reimplementing it later on, or adjusting mob damage across the board. Either option results in it's own mess of complications.

Then there are new talent trees which, depending on which one you use, can have abilities that are far more powerful than you would have originally had at 50. Or even far less powerful. Again, to recapture that feeling of the original content, you've got to address that problem somehow.

If Trion take the lazy option, we're going to see Prime be hugely imbalanced for all kinds of stupid reasons until we get closer to current retail content. If Trion do take the time to properly account for all of the potential issues to try deliver as close to the original experience as possible, they're still going to have to make sweeping changes to accomplish that. Either way a section of the playerbase is going to be unhappy with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Or, ya know, no changes at all.
    Or you know they leave it up to the community to vote on if any changes happen or not. If a majority don't want changes then you got nothing to worry about.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I was about to type something very similar to this but decided to just quote you instead. XD I played for about 3-4 months myself. I'm too invested in FFXIV to play another MMO right now.

I absolutely love the Nightblade class. I wish I could just take it and bring it with me to other MMOs.
    Yes, the class and builds etc in Rift was awesome. The rogue build was so fucking good, one of the best "builds/classes" I played in any game, ever period. The first month in...vanilla rift, just lvling to cap and gearing up in 5 mans, exploring the end-game options...fun. After that it quickly become void of stuff to do that mattered, or that I wanted to do...cause of wow or other games.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    Thats the same shit Blizzard fed us.

They have to code in a backup.
    Correct. And they are recompiling it while modernizing the development such as baking it into the retail client and putting it on Battle.net.

Trion aren't even trying to do that and are just downgrading a patch while making excuses for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'll check this out with some friends. I liked Rift when it first came out, but didn't like the idea of having a subscription on top of my WoW subscription.

Also, now that the game has been out for a while, all of the bugs and other unpleasant things about the game shouldn't be present in this version.

I'm debating it still. I like the idea of a fresh start. I hate joining MMOs when they are so far into progression.8

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    I think I'll check this out with some friends. I liked Rift when it first came out, but didn't like the idea of having a subscription on top of my WoW subscription.

Also, now that the game has been out for a while, all of the bugs and other unpleasant things about the game shouldn't be present in this version.
    Yeah it just has the poor optimization of multicore support. And well the current expansion had to have over half it's already low amount of content disabled at launch because it was causing server crashes. Huge bugs in this game still happen.

Sure it doesn't have bugs from back then. But since it's just the live client downgraded any that aren't fixed will be there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    I'm debating it still. I like the idea of a fresh start. I hate joining MMOs when they are so far into progression.8
    I'd say wait. It's not really a fresh start of the actual classic experience so that's already a no go for me.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-25 at 01:07 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Even if they miraculously do have those backups, they're not going to use the old files and then work in all the bugfixes over the months and the years. It's just not going to happen. You're going to see versions of fights long after the original experience. So that means mechanics will be fundamentally changed from release.

I'm so confident in this that I would bet you $500.

I'd say wait. It's not really a fresh start of the actual classic experience so that's already a no go for me.
    That was my original opinion, but I figure since I never played outside of classic (never hit level cap because I always went back to wow) I figure this may be a decent way to experience the content. Sure the souls are different and balanced differently, but I always preferred finishing a talent tree. Most of the final talents were pretty cool.

However, it will most likely suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it just has the poor optimization of multicore support.
    So, it'll be just like WoW then?

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    So, it'll be just like WoW then?
    Nowhere near.

Rifts client is very prone to crashing under certain environments with multicore enabled. All they've done for the most part is band aid fixes. Couple of people tried to defend it once saying it was the engine but those debates were shut down pretty quick.

I can't say I've ever had as many crashes in WoW as I have Rift with multicore enabled. And when it was a major issue the reports were widespread.

I'm not even trying to make this up. Multicore for Rift is actually really poor.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-25 at 02:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nowhere near.

Rifts client is very prone to crashing under certain environments with multicore enabled. All they've done for the most part is band aid fixes. Couple of people tried to defend it once saying it was the engine but those debates were shut down pretty quick.

I can't say I've ever had as many crashes in WoW as I have Rift with multicore enabled. And when it was a major issue the reports were widespread.

I'm not even trying to make this up. Multicore for Rift is actually really poor.
    Is this something new? Back when Rift first launched I don't remember having this issue.