Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I still enjoy the game but it is much less. Outside of raiding the whole game is just busywork that feels like its designed to make me play as long as possible because that is how they measure their subs now; in time played.
    Off topic, but your forum avatar is amazing! Is that a troll shammy with Sulfuras?

Over the top RNG is what did it in for me..

Deleted
    It's boring.
    RNG everywhere, titanforging, epics everywhere, multiple difficulty levels, speed increases...

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Off topic, but your forum avatar is amazing! Is that a troll shammy with Sulfuras?
    Yep, some nice person on these forums made it for me years ago

The faction rep mounts.

Funny.

I enjoy the game more and in many different ways these days, not less. And Mystery comes with new content, not returning to 14 year old content.

And either way, most of the posts here are just regurgitating the buzzwords of this expansion. "Pruning" and "RNG", whilst they magically overlook all the rest. WoW apparently no longer has other players, world content, zone building (vistas for example) or guilds if one were to believe these forums.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-02-24 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Funny.

I enjoy the game more and in many different ways these days, not less. And Mystery comes with new content, not returning to 14 year old content.

And either way, most of the posts here are just regurgitating the buzzwords of this expansion. "Pruning" and "RNG", whilst they magically overlook all the rest. WoW apparently no longer has other players, world content, zone building (vistas for example) or guilds if one were to believe these forums.
    I think the biggest problem people have with WoW is not that it doesn't have vistas or new content or mystery. It's that the ratio of those things compared to chores, slog, and timegating is waaaaaaayyyy off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Yep, some nice person on these forums made it for me years ago
    Reminds me of Final Fantasy 3(or 6, if you prefer), or maybe Tactics.

I think the biggest problem people have with WoW is not that it doesn't have vistas or new content or mystery. It's that the ratio of those things compared to chores, slog, and timegating is waaaaaaayyyy off.

- - - Updated - - -

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 3(or 6, if you prefer), or maybe Tactics.
    Welp, the game did cater towards non-MMORPG players for a looooong time.

ERGO: People were sat in cities without shit to do for months on end. I used to take tons of flak for going out of my way and finding things to do during WOTLK and Cata. As someone wanting an MMORPG, I'm in love with Legion's design outside of a few reservations (that they're addressing to boot).

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my biggest problem with WoW:

Blizzard has become so wrapped up in telling a cohesive story that they no longer give a shit about the individual's story. Back in Vanilla, it didn't matter! You could be a rough-n-tough warrior who fights things just because they're pissed off about their love life, or maybe a dashing rogue who stealthily takes down enemies in order to pay for his dying wife's terminal illness. But nowadays, even when they literally make you the MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER IN THE LORE, I STILL feel like just another face in the crowd. I'm not unique, I'm not special, anybody could do my job and probably do it better. There's no personal reason I should go up and kill Argus the Unmaker. What'd he do to me? What did Varimathras, or Gul'dan, or hell, what did even GARROSH do to me. Why should I give a shit about fighting this big bad guy? Because someone TOLD me I should care? Because he looks intimidating? Because he's a generic big bad who shouts some evil words at me?

I was more invested with the Lich King, who throughout all of Wrath it all tied back to him. Everything you did, every little problem was normally caused by Arthas being an asshole. So you were always invested, and can have some personal reason to want to KILL Arthas. Give you that inspiration to fight him. The reason attunements were so long and grating was so that, when you actually FIGHT Rangaros, or Onyxia or Nefarion, it felt GOOD. You did something NOBODY else but you and a select group of people could do. It took hours, weeks, MONTHS before you could even step FOOT in that goddamn raid and you had to inspire YOURSELF to go do it.

Now you can just press a button and kill the final boss in about 2-3 hours. Wow. How exciting. What a climactic ending, huh.

You know what might fix all of this, even just a little? How about instead of releasing ALL the bosses in LFR, just have a FEW bosses. Maybe one in each wing except the Final Boss. For example, you could fight the Garothi Worldbreaker, Varimathras and Aggramar in one week, then the Felhounds of Sargeras, Eonar and the Coven of the Shivarra the next week. It won't be the entire raid, you won't get the full story, and it will INSPIRE you to go and see what the rest of the raid is like in Normal, or Heroic, or even MYTHIC. With LFR, it just makes people not invested. Why both doing harder levels of difficulty when you can just get the whole experience by pressing a smashing your face against the keyboard for 2-3 hours...

Anyway. Yeah. LFR is terrible and did nothing but hinder the game.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Welp, the game did cater towards non-MMORPG players for a looooong time.

ERGO: People were sat in cities without shit to do for months on end. I used to take tons of flak for going out of my way and finding things to do during WOTLK and Cata. As someone wanting an MMORPG, I'm in love with Legion's design outside of a few reservations (that they're addressing to boot).
    "Things to do" to me should not include treadmill bullshit designed specifically to waste time instead of adding enjoyment to the game. Stuff like taking away flying on Argus is a prime example. There was no benefit to that. All it did was allow Blizzard to create yet another ratmaze full of dazing monsters that weren't otherwise threatening. Instead of filling Argus with actually dangerous or mechanically superior mobs, it's nothing but a slog of useless garbage between you and world quests.

That same design philosophy is carried out in zones like Highmountain, and other various places throughout all of WoD and Legion. If that's the kind of time-wasting nonsense you enjoy, then I guess it's your prerogative. But I would VASTLY prefer they spend some time on actually increasing the quality of the open world design instead of recycling and regurgitating the same garbage. And if, for some god-forsaken reason, I MUST slog through that nonsense, I damn well better have the option to unlock ways to skip it(flying) after I've already exhausted whatever value it had on the first playthrough.

M+ at least has the virtue of mutators and increased difficulty that the player can choose to face. The open world has NONE of that.

The Horde is dead and has been hijacked by Elves and Undead Humans who use the last remnants of the Horde as pawns for their blatantly wicked and dishonorable goals. At this point I'm just checking up occasionally to see when Blizzard finally puts an end to the Banshee Queen.

Vengeance for Vol'jin; Death to the Banshee Queen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    On the topic of mystery, people have a real need to hear endings to stories. Whoever played wc3 just had to know what happens next to the main characters. While vanilla didn't provide much in terms of that, it was a huge world to explore and build yourself as a part of that universe. BC and WOTLK pretty much finished the stories of wc3.

My view is that wc4 should have happened after WOTLK to set up new lore naturally. Ever since cata we've been killing random baddies without really feeling it and without having emotional investment in the story.
    You have a point there, but it doesn't need to be an RTS. We could have expansions (or patches) without a named big bad, based on exploring a new map, solving local threats and getting character development. Just, totally world content based.
    Don't want to keep harping on what GW2 does right, but they have a whole season of storytelling patches that culminates in the expansion. It feels alot more exciting.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2018-02-25 at 02:27 AM.

*snip

M+ at least has the virtue of mutators and increased difficulty that the player can choose to face. The open world has NONE of that.

Guess WoW ain't for you anymore then, because from what I've seen so far, the design that I enjoy and you seem to hate, is carrying on moving forward.

Not that I agree with your take on what the design has been thus far, but as I've stated before: You're entitled to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    For me, I find it boring now.

The game has ceased to evolve and grow meaningfully. They add some minor new features here and there, but the large leaps have stopped happening and it's just not fun anymore relative to competing games. PvP for example, I used to enjoy - but there is literally no point to it today. Gear is irrelevant and you can get better gear from PVE content. Prestige is virtually invisible and meaningless. And the non-gear rewards are so few that they may as well not exist.

I'll give BFA a shot likely, but it needs some big jumps in content and I'm hoping warfronts offer this and that they also provide a robust pvp reward system so that people feel like there is a reason for doing it ( yes yes ... it can be fun, but after 10+ years ... you also want some type of progression path to work on ).

That's it for me.
    I don't know, the game seem to have made a pretty long leap in terms of features added since MoP forward (with mogging added during Cata). What was it before then? Dungeons, reputations, raids as far as endgame content was concerned.

Being bored with the game is one thing, but even WoD had new features added that are still with us to today.

Guess WoW ain't for you anymore then, because from what I've seen so far, the design that I enjoy and you seem to hate, is carrying on moving forward.

Not that I agree with your take on what the design has been thus far, but as I've stated before: You're entitled to your opinion.
    Not for me anymore is a true statement.

I guess I evolved as a gamer, and I see through the bullshit. Like I said a few posts back, it's not so much that wow doesn't have its good points, but the ratio of slog to fun is way off. It's glaringly obvious that Blizzard is less interested in making a good game, and more interested in making profit at the expense of all else.

And that's a shame, because Blizzard is capable of being so much better than that.

Not for me anymore is a true statement. I guess I evolved as a gamer, and I see through the bullshit. Like I said a few posts back, it's not so much that wow doesn't have its good points, but the ratio of slog to fun is way off. It's glaringly obvious that Blizzard is less interested in making a good game, and more interested in making profit at the expense of all else.

And that's a shame, because Blizzard is capable of being so much better than that.
    I wouldn't go that far, really.
    You just happen to think that X is "bullshit", whilst others are of a different opinion. I mean, we do after all have a ton of people thinking that their opinions and feelings, are a testament to their objective superiority when it comes to taste.

MoP and Legion's been a testament to me of what Blizzard is capable of when they put their backs into the design of this game. It will inevitably not please everyone though, and that's OK. I just hope that they keep moving upwards and never revert to designs of certain other iterations.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-02-25 at 01:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkza View Post
    You already know what to expect at maximum level.

You already know what to expect when doing a new raid or dungeon.

You don't need to know every detail in order to know the whole.

It is the "whole" that is totally non-mysterious. You know what it brings, and how it works, and how it impacts your progress and status in the game. You can never bring that old feeling back. The mystery.

As mystery has passed from the real world, so it has from Warcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

If you enjoy it, good for you. But those who don't and long for the good old times, they must know it is almost solely for the lack of mystery.
    and they cant recapture that NO GAME CAN pokemon is something i played when i was young, learning of hidden pokemon, their evolutions and moves was super fun, now adays the games are fun, not as fun as they used to be (maybe because of less pokemon and more z-moves...)
    like the regi's they were super fun to talk about with my fellow kids of these cool things we found, trying stuff and eventually we cracked the code, even having to ask some teacher for help reading brail.

but you cant recapture that, nor can you ever really, when you start gaming you imagine ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN and as time goes on you cant feel that again really cause you know the limits of gaming, and even if you move to a new game this will only last alittle bit before you find its limits too.
    its sad but its true, so i dont know why you are trying to point this out about wow, when no game ever has been able to solve this problem, because as you play games you learn their ins and outs, and new systems and places and stuff only is "new" for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I wouldn't go that far, really.
    You just happen to think that X is "bullshit", whilst others are of a different opinion. I mean, we do after all have a ton of people thinking that their opinions and feelings, are a testament to their objective superiority when it comes to taste.

MoP and Legion's been a testament to me of what Blizzard is capable of when they put their backs into the design of this game. It will inevitably not please everyone though, and that's OK. I just hope that they keep moving upwards and never revert to designs of certain other iterations.
    I don't know what else you'd call taking away player agency, filling the world with pointless mazelike terrain and mobs who's sole existence is to daze and dismount players. Added to reputation grinds with timelocks on how far you can progress each day.

That type of design doesn't exist to make the game better. It's only built that way to stretch content for the purposes of increasing MAUs. Content which would otherwise not be engaged with at all if it wasn't forced.

If that's not bullshit, I don't know what is.

Mostly trash class design.