Black Panther

10/10

Best movie I've seen in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    "People won't take the time to help me get geared"
    then
    "I'm too busy to get geared, I don't have the time to spare"

The Post (2017) - 6/10 (C)

It was okay. I get it's topical in more ways than one, but I didn't feel a ton of tension. The movie took some time getting going, and once it did, it was still a fairly slow-moving train. There was a sense that it was building up to a big courtroom drama, but that resolution was kind of an afterthought.

Phantom Thread (2017) - 5/10 (C-)

Pretty low-key romance drama. Daniel Day-Lewis is great in it. It has some interesting themes and moments, but it was maybe a bit too low-key for my tastes, and the themes weren't that compelling to me. Mother had, to some degree, some of the same themes, and I thought that movie was more engaging and thought-provoking.

Deleted
    Mute - 0/10
    an utter piece of Trash. the only good thing about this movie was Paul Ruds acting the rest (story, setting, etc) was pure trash.
    someone should tell that Jones dude he just doesnt have it anymore. Moon and Sourcecode where great but since then he only does b-movie trash.
    dont waste your time on this.
    (My biggest complain is that the movie claims it plays in Berlin but you also could claim it plays in Hong Kong, LA, etc cause the background is made so terrible it could be ANYWHERE in the world because you have no landmarks, no nothing....)

What's up with those letter gradings.

6/10 = C
    5/10 = C-

What are the rest? You know in the USA, it's like A = 100-91, B = 90-83, C = 82-76, D = 75-70, F = 69-0. (Approximately, without breaking it down for +/-.) So I need some clarification.

I was gonna make fun of your other post btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Call Me By Your Name (2017) - 5/10 (C-)

Didn't grab me, I found it quite dull. Northern Italy during summer time is beautiful, it's got that going for it. Otherwise, I suppose it just wasn't the movie for me.
    If it were ME describing a movie in those words, I'd have rated it g_y or 0.5/10 or something LUL.

I'm still idling waiting for Star Wars to become HD quality. (How is it even possible that it hasn't yet?!) I was gonna go to the theaters to see Black Panther but ehhh. I can wait for a stream to hate on it and call it generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What's up with those letter gradings.

6/10 = C
    5/10 = C-

What are the rest? You know in the USA, it's like A = 100-91, B = 90-83, C = 82-76, D = 75-70, F = 69-0. (Approximately, without breaking it down for +/-.) So I need some clarification.

I was gonna make fun of your other post btw.

If it were ME describing a movie in those words, I'd have rated it g_y or 0.5/10 or something LUL.
    I translate the letter grades to x/10 scores as such:

F = 1/10
    D- = 2/10
    D = 3/10
    D+ = 4/10
    C- = 5/10
    C = 6/10
    C+ = 6.5/10
    B- = 7/10
    B = 7.5/10
    B+ = 8/10
    A- = 8.5/10
    A = 9/10
    A+ = 10/10

Others probably have different interpretations, but it fits with how I use the scores.

Also, I'm not sure what and who is actually being made fun of in this instance.

Girl on the Train - 5/10: Good pacing and approach to storytelling, but the story itself requires way too much suspension of disbelief. For example, the ex husband and his new wife would have absolutely had a restraining order already in place, especially after the infant incident. Not terrible, but not all that great either. Emily Blunt does a respectable job as a severe alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Loving Vincent (2017): 8/10

This surely is one of the most beautiful animated films I've ever seen. Every single frame is a goddamn masterpiece. Unfortunately though, while they did go way and beyond visually, the plot is kinda dull, uninspired and miniscule. I'm a fan of talkie whodunits, but what a missed opportunity this is. This could have been so much more for fuck's sakes. Even Clint Mansell seems under-utilized. It's like they created the art first, then wrote the script in 15 minutes to give it a backstory.

Van Gogh's life and death is an extremely interesting subject matter, how they managed to make it seem boring is beyond me. I'm so mad right now, this legitimately could have been one of the greatest animated movies of all time, and it definitely could snag the Oscar from right under Coco's nose. They blew it though.
    I more or less had the same experience, but don't you think 8/10 is awfully high with your description in mind?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    I more or less had the same experience, but don't you think 8/10 is awfully high with your description in mind?
    It was just really pretty.

Black Panther was a solid 7 for me.

I love Marvel and saw it opening night, and I can't really complain about anything (except the forced scene where Freeman has to fly the plane, so he's cool too somehow), but there wasn't anything spectacular about it either. I'm honestly a bit surprised people are giving it 9/10 and calling it one of the best marvel movies, but I guess taste differs.

Deleted
    Star Wars The Last Jedi

5/10

I don't know, after seeing it I just hoped it would be "Star Wars: The Last Movie". Half the crew can't act, I can barely remember the story because it was so boring. Super Snoke was even more useless then Batman in Justice League. And when the movie finally ends there is literally nothing worth remembering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    Blade runner 2049
    8/10
    I know there's a lot of hate for this film on here but I loved it .looked and sounded imennce .Really wish I would have gone to see it on an IMAX screen. Yes the plot wasnt the greatest, but it still held my interest all the way to end.
    Hate? It's movie of the year for most people.

Wonder (2017) - 8/10 (B+)

Neat feel-good movie. I'm a big fan of the philosophical belief/statement that lies at the core of the movie (which is explicitly called out at the end). Some might think it's too "sugary", but hey, I like sugar. The focus on offering different viewpoints on the situation helps it stand out a bit, too.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2018-02-25 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    Blade runner 2049
    8/10
    I know there's a lot of hate for this film on here but I loved it .looked and sounded imennce .Really wish I would have gone to see it on an IMAX screen. Yes the plot wasnt the greatest, but it still held my interest all the way to end.
    I think you are confusing Blade runner 2049 for the last jedi

Deleted
    The Shape of Water: 9/10. Doesn't get a 10 because a 10 is Silence of the Lambs but this comes close. Aesthetically brilliant, enjoyable plot, and very deep insight on castration.

Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    The Shape of Water: 9/10. Doesn't get a 10 because a 10 is Silence of the Lambs but this comes close. Aesthetically brilliant, enjoyable plot, and very deep insight on castration.
    Does this word mean something else besides the obvious?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Does this word mean something else besides the obvious?
    I don't know what the obvious is for you. The film is about human fulfilment despite fundamental incompleteness, embodied in the woman's imaginary lack of a penis and man's subsequent fear of castration.

Annihilation 7/10

Seems like a very divisive film so far, but personally I really enjoyed it (haven't read the books). There's one scene that shook me so god damn bad, I felt fear in a theater like I haven't in a very long time. I only wish they kept going with it a bit longer. Not necessarily to turn it into a full horror flick, but to keep adding to the intensity that it was doing so well. I do agree with a lot of the criticisms that people are tacking on to the ending. Not that it was bad, but that I just wanted a little more of the Shimmer.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Blade of the Immortal (2017) - 7/10 (B)

Enjoyable anime-esque samurai movie. It was adapted from a manga, and you can feel that. A high body count and some interesting fights. I was somewhat unsatisfied with the ending though, I didn't feel like it managed to tie it all together in a way that elevated the whole thing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Black Panther - 7/10
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

7+ Year Old Account
    Logan Lucky (2017) - 8/10

There is nothing amazing about this movie. It's nothing more than light weight comedy. I did, however, find it to be quite enjoyable to watch. The acting is solid. The characters are, for the most part, entertaining.

A minor part of the film, but something I enjoy seeing, is an actor in a role he's normally not seen in: Daniel Craig as a bit of a scraggly convict. "You two got any quarters?" I don't know what it is, but he cracked me up through out the movie.

Anyway, as I started with : there is nothing amazing about this movie. Plenty of people probably find it to be stupid. But, if you're looking for solid movie that is just a light weight comedy, check it out.